Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Arche Age Officially Ruined

Comments

• Effin_RabbitEffin_Rabbit Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 773Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Vonatar

Maybe Black Desert will be the game people wanted ArcheAge to be. We'll have to wait and see. There's not enough info on that game yet.

Seriously, I start to wonder if the prerequisite for being a game developer these days is a drug problem...

This.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,222Member Uncommon

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by wordiz Wow, blown away at how many people expect a fantasy game to be rooted in reality. As if this game being steampunkish was a secret.
    The people that scratch their head as to why no AAA devs make a sandbox-focused MMO should print this thread out and nail it to their wall.  Not only is there little or no agreement among the sandbox crowd as to what may constitute a good sandbox game, the minute something is introduced that a sandbox fan doesn't like, they reject the game almost in its entirety as a result of it. It's a crowd so fickle and polarized that it's almost pointless to try developing a new game for them.

I'm kind of with other people who are implying that "fickle" and "polarized" are traits of gamers any time they express their opinions in groups rather than sandbox players.

If GW2 had released with a section of game that had dune buggies racing near a beach, I think you would have seen at least one post similar to the OP's. There's a post in this thread talking about the different races and their different technologies in GW2 and how people complained about it.

I haven't watched nearly as much anime as the people in this thread, but I have watched some, and unless it's set in the modern day, there's usually a mix of steam punk tech, horses and magic. Wooden cars running on steam racing near a beach seems kind of like an obvious thing that would happen in a world like that, if the whole world isn't over run with war that is.

Now imagine that they make the world big enough that you could play the entire game, doing stuff that you want to do, and you'll just never see that beach, or those cars. How cool would that be?

I agree but I also watch anime of different styles.  There is a design trait of certain anime styles that combines what westerners would consider modern elements with high fantasy and medieval elements.  You can see this in Avatar: The Last Airbender when Prince Zuko and team play volleyball on the beach next to people with tents and drinks, or in Howl's Moving Castle with the vehicles.

I see it as alternate realities where the world progressed to have modern elements, but never lost magic or those fantasy elements.  It's a sort of "what if the everyday world evolved like this instead" and oh, by the way, there are huge demonic forces poised to obliterate the multiverse with their magical powers.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    I loved it and also in game they have technology to build cars. Its funny though how one little feature can 'officially' ruin entire game for some people.

again, it goes down to those who enjoy a certain design sensibility, those who enjoy a certain sense of immersion.

As I've said, I have no problem with a world that incorporates disparate technologies. But it better well be integrated in a way that works.

Given the other things that I've seen over the course of the game's development, with more being released closer to launch, it does seem that it's more about throwing things in that are neat as opposed to making a world that has some sort of coherence.

That's because we're sort of closed minded like that poster above pointed out.  I'm sure other cultures suffer from this sort of myopia as well, but that doesn't change the fact that we have preconceived notions that we're basing our judgements on.  The technologies are only considered disparate because you have this preconceived notion of congruency.

I'm not criticizing or belittling that, but I think it's important to recognize it as well.  I do the same thing, and probably the only reason this doesn't bother me as well is because I watch anime that uses this design element so it's not strange or jarring to me.

I do think it's going to be a problem with the western audience though.  Jake Song is an amazing designer, in my opinion, and even though he's tried to consider a global audience in design, he won't be able to appeal to everyone.  It's also why I think our Western games tend to flop in Asia.  People enjoy their cultural idiosyncrasies and don't feel comfortable moving outside the box.  I think we don't value innovation and "different" as much as we think we do.

• XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,938Member Uncommon
     Cool video, thanks for the link.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
  • steelwindsteelwind Folsom, CAPosts: 346Member Uncommon

The only thing that come to mind personally is, ITS YOUR LOSS!!

So let me get this straight, gamers have been begging for a game to break the themepark mold for years. Players yearn for new, exciting, and different activities than have been offered these past years. Along comes Archeage with arguably the most ambitious full feature set to ever be included in a game's core at release AND THIS IS ALL IT TAKES? So, it sounds like a good majority would rather continue to play the vanilla clone themeparks and avoid AA on principal. Ignoring that the gameplay is all there, there are TONS of activities to keep you busy for a long time, not to mention AA is a game that you can actually play for more than a couple months.

Are there really players that hold lore so close that no matter what features a game has, how fun it may be, and how engaging a game is long term, lore trumps it all? Wow I am glad I don't play with friends like these, talk about frustrating! Not to mention who are we to tell the developer how they should develop their own lore?

To me this is a low blow, Trion isn't in a position yet to start releasing official info yet and in it's absence, instead of meaningful discussions, all people want to do is bitch and try to paint an uniformed negative image of AA before any official new is released.

I can guarantee just about every one of you will change your tune when you get a chance to play it and realize how refreshingly different the game is. Then maybe you will understand how ridiculous something as minor as this would prevent ANYONE from playing it. The question is if you are ignorant enough to buy what the trolls are selling and never give it a chance? If so, once again ITS YOUR LOSS and I will see you on the other side when you get bored of TESO or NWN two months after release.

• redcappredcapp brook, NYPosts: 722Member

I may be willing to overlook this if it is contained to some lame mini-game.  But this certainly raises valid concerns about the immigration factor in the game, IMO.

The poster who mentioned the integration of western imports to the east during the industrialization period brings up quite an interesting though, though.  This may be one of those instances where our cultures simply don't mesh too well.

Edit to add:  After reading the thread, I felt I should point out that I, as a 'sandbox' fan, am definitely still going to try the game, cars or no cars.  It looks a little goofy, but it's definitely not a game BREAKER. 

But, like I said above, I hope this isn't an indication of how immersive the overall game world will be.  I don't know, I haven't been following too closely yet as it still seems to be too far away from a western launch to get too hyped up about it. 

My main issue is that I generally don't like games that center around on a bunch of weird minigames and lose focus on the deeper metagame that I'm interested in.  This video doesn't really conclusively point to either direction.

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,462Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

That's because we're sort of closed minded like that poster above pointed out.  I'm sure other cultures suffer from this sort of myopia as well, but that doesn't change the fact that we have preconceived notions that we're basing our judgements on.  The technologies are only considered disparate because you have this preconceived notion of congruency.

I'm not criticizing or belittling that, but I think it's important to recognize it as well.  I do the same thing, and probably the only reason this doesn't bother me as well is because I watch anime that uses this design element so it's not strange or jarring to me.

I do think it's going to be a problem with the western audience though.  Jake Song is an amazing designer, in my opinion, and even though he's tried to consider a global audience in design, he won't be able to appeal to everyone.  It's also why I think our Western games tend to flop in Asia.  People enjoy their cultural idiosyncrasies and don't feel comfortable moving outside the box.  I think we don't value innovation and "different" as much as we think we do.

well "no".

The inconsistency comes with their art design. As I've said several times, I have no problem with different technology sets in a game. At all.

What I have a problem with is the representation of these technologies from very concrete time periods. It's almost lazy.

having a steam powered vehicle, flying machines that use steam/hot hair and having some sort of swords and magic can work. But each example/ machine comes across as being "of an era" as opposed to a blending of eras.

The way they have done it is to just take examples from different eras and plug them in.

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,462Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by steelwind

The only thing that come to mind personally is, ITS YOUR LOSS!!

You act like beggars can't be choosers. They can choose "not".

I'll just wait for a sandbox game that I don't think is silly. That doesn't have to offend you it's "just how i was drawn".

It's not like I don't think it's going to be a good game. It's just clearly not for me at this point.

Just like WoW is a good game for what it is but I don't play it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,676Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

I agree lol, makes you wonder if most the people following AA are just following the hype train without actually knowing much about the game. These are the people who shout the loudest, this thread is a prime example lol.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PrenhoPrenho AracajuPosts: 298Member

For me this game is ruined due to:

- Factions: Jake Song, who made Lineage 1, should have made AA like L1: where players make their own alliances and enemies instead of factions....., a good and meaningful political system.

- Too much instances

- Too much quests

Originally posted by Prenho

For me this game is ruined due to:

- Factions: Jake Song, who made Lineage 1, should have made AA like L1: where players make their own alliances and enemies instead of factions....., a good and meaningful political system.

- Too much instances

- Too much quests

Thank you for the perfect example of the uninformed drawing incorrect conclusions.

- Factions: Player made factions are about to be released.

- Too much instances: Umm are we talking about the same game? The last thing AA is criticized for is instancing.

- Too much quests: Questing can be ignored entirely and you can level to max without it, playing how you prefer. Questing is one of the most insignificant features of this game and if you quest to max level, your doing it wrong.

Great example though, your timing is excellent!

• NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon

Originally posted by SelfDestructPro
    It's official, Arche Age has been ruined.  After so long of waiting and however long I was still going to have to wait beyond this post, I no longer have to wait.This is what finally did it for me:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMyEOF51hLMLike all other Asian influenced games, they somehow have to completely ruin it with something that just doesn't make sense.Anyway, I'm not here to gripe.  I just want to know is there any other games on the horizon that have really interesting exploration with the added bonus of ships and nautical warfare?  Preferably something that is medieval fantasy based.

The only real issue i have other than its a bit weird....is that if you have cars then that completely negates the need for horses and other animal mounts...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• pb1285npb1285n Brentwood, NYPosts: 505Member
    I find it funny because people having been making this complaint since the game was announced, and you're just catching on now? This game has always been a mix of various genres and it's never hidden that fact. You've either not been following the game, or you're a troll looking for something to complain about.
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by SelfDestructPro
    It's official, Arche Age has been ruined.  After so long of waiting and however long I was still going to have to wait beyond this post, I no longer have to wait.

This is what finally did it for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMyEOF51hLM

Like all other Asian influenced games, they somehow have to completely ruin it with something that just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I'm not here to gripe.  I just want to know is there any other games on the horizon that have really interesting exploration with the added bonus of ships and nautical warfare?  Preferably something that is medieval fantasy based.

The only real issue i have other than its a bit weird....is that if you have cars then that completely negates the need for horses and other animal mounts...

The car is a gigantic gold sink which most will not be able to afford for quite some time.

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 San Diego, CAPosts: 275Member
    Originally posted by DMKano

Cars have been in for a while, if this ruins it for anybody they are not getting why AA is so awesome to begin with - gameplay.

One feature does not make up or ruin a game for me.

To each his own.

Its tab targetting.... tell me how the gameplay is any different than WoW, also from what I have watched you are stuck in place as melee when attacking.

Looks worse than WoW.

• tollboothtollbooth grants pass, ORPosts: 298Member
    I care less about the cars and more about the fact they are riding horses without a saddle.  How the hell does it makes sense to be in a full set of plate with a jousting lance while riding a horse bareback.   A good breeze would blow those idiots off.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool prague, TXPosts: 760Member Uncommon

I agree AA lacks direction but the cries on this forum are as always totally utterly exaggerated.  

Chillax guys, games are meant to be fun.  *he innocently says while playing EVE Online*

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,787Member Uncommon
    i dont see how cars ruin the game for me. I dont roleplay so anything they add to the game is fine as long as its quality content and not just  a filler for the sake of variety. The more options the better when done right.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Edmonds, WAPosts: 2,365Member Uncommon
    I don't see how cars ruin it for people. It isn't like they are modern cars, they share a look similar to what the game has had. Giant cats wearing purple armor that shoot laser beams out of their mouths don't ruin it for people but cars do?
  • shifueshifue asheville, NCPosts: 7Member
    It's funny i did not see people complaining about the steam tractor or gliders that is in the game ruining it. Honestly i like the fact of the steampunk style being in. Plus mounts have skills that make them useful plus mounted combat is being worked on to be better.I doubt you can do mounted combat in a car as well what is to stop people from riding the tractor into battle? lol that is the fun of a sandbox anything can happen.
  • VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon

HAHA. I rarely really lol at stuff in videos about games.. but when I saw the hot rod cars and beach babes.. I got some major geek giggles.

That shit is crazy. Your sandbox is ruined guys, looked like it was going to be good for a while... shame.

You're right, I haven't been following the game at all.. but that doesn't stop that video from being one of the dumbest things I've seen in video games for a while. Whether I know my stuff about AA or not, that.. looks.. shit.

• PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,926Member Uncommon
    I could see it in  a steampunk-ish world having them in some form (though not as its shown here) but yeah... doesn't make too much sense. Should it ruin the game for you? No... but I can understand it being upsetting.
    Originally posted by Vannor

HAHA. I rarely really lol at stuff in videos about games.. but when I saw the hot rod cars and beach babes.. I got some major geek giggles.

That shit is crazy. Your sandbox is ruined guys, looked like it was going to be good for a while... shame.

You're right, I haven't been following the game at all.. but that doesn't stop that video from being one of the dumbest things I've seen in video games for a while. Whether I know my stuff about AA or not, that.. looks.. shit.

wtf is with everyone saying its ruined cause of the car really if the tractor and gilder did not do that for you then why the car? I though the ideal of sandbox was to be open not just preset. It's not like they dropped a m16 in i mean hell even the flying transport the airship like one is kinda steam punk style and all and no one cares there either again i don't see cars being used for combat it's just a means to travel and have some fun get over yourselves.

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,928Member Uncommon

WoW has choppers.

I guess it is also officially ruined.

Where do these titles even come from. I understand when someone says it breaks immersion, but making a thread called "Arche Age Officially Ruined" is a bit strong reaction.

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

• asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    I really didn't see that one coming...

You make me like charity

Originally posted by coretex666

WoW has choppers.

I guess it is also officially ruined.

Where do these titles even come from. I understand when someone says it breaks immersion, but making a thread called "Arche Age Officially Ruined" is a bit strong reaction.

Never played wow but good comparison.Even then there is steam punk styled stuff in the game before the car so i just don't see the big deal or how it breaks immersion.I mean again got to state the tractors,gilders,and the airships and even the steam boat added to.Honestly i like the fresh appoarch