Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Best MMOs of 2013... So Far

Comments

• crimzonxskyzcrimzonxskyz Member Posts: 28

Ozmodan writes:

Agree with the list except for Neverwinter.  With it's predatory cash shop the game is a instant no play for many of us.  Sure you can have fun in the game, but isn't the idea of a MMO to develop your character to end game.  You really can't have an end game with what is only in their cash shop, so why waste the time?  There are plenty of fun MMO's out there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cash shop in Neverwinter does not afford you any items that would potentially give you any statistical boost or advantage over any other players, Everything in the cash shop is stuff you can attain in game with the in game Currency via there Currency exchange system... Agreed it might take you some time to get the items on the so called Cash Shop but It is attainable... Nobody bitched when they were playing everquest for 12 hours a day just to grind out ONE bloody level....

honestly I cannot believe that GW2 made number 1 with how many bugs the game was released with...

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    [mod edit]

Or the fact each of those games has about eleventy thousand more players than Darkfall.

Get your own website, have millions of viewers, make your own list...

Or are MMORPG.com not allowed to have their list (opinion) because you disagree with it? Go somewhere else...

I couldn't stand NW for more than 20 minutes and I think DF is a JOKE and TSW is a bad game.

But I'm not going to sit here and pretend I speak for anyone other than myself.

• CacolacoCacolaco Member UncommonPosts: 99

I think all the hate for SWTOR is ridiculous. It's a good game. It's the only game I am playing with RL friends right now, and the big reason we are playing it is because it's free to play. I think that it is very valid for a best mmo list for 2013.

I also agree with Darkfall being on the list. I am starting to get really tired of the quests in mmorpgs. Honestly, it's just a different kind of grind. I'd rather the players make their own story than to grind my way through a thousand different variations of the same quest (kill 10 of x, activate y). If developers can't figure out a way to make questing more appealing/less mindless, then they should build systems that allow players to make their own story. Give me a game where I don't just feel like skipping over the quest text.

I'm just waiting for a F2P overhyped sandbox WoW clone with full PVP, epic raid bosses, instanced group content, and Crysis-quality graphics to come out. That, or something fun.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Such a bad list. Swtor?!? EvE and all you said about it was that the staff likes it and its 10 years old and growing!

Didn't NCSoft announce their earnings and state that Lineage 1 was its fastest growing game?!? So there is a 15 year old game that is growing, and it grew more than Eve so why isn't it on the list also?

Bad list is bad, games are on it for no real reason for a list of "best MMOs".

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Holy moly is this column flat out sponsored or what? SWTOR? TSW? On a best of list?

People could like different things and that is OK.

Then people should not be claiming an MMO is "the best" unless they defend it. SWTOR, TERA, and TSW are retty much universally regarded as horrible MMOs. But, because they have spent millions in ads on THIS SITE, they get ranked higher than a game like Darkfall every day of the week.

Or the fact each of those games has about eleventy thousand more players than Darkfall.

Get your own website, have millions of viewers, make your own list...

Or are MMORPG.com not allowed to have their list (opinion) because you disagree with it? Go somewhere else...

I couldn't stand NW for more than 20 minutes and I think DF is a JOKE and TSW is a bad game.

But I'm not going to sit here and pretend I speak for anyone other than myself.

So having an opinion on an opinion is bad?

Logical................................

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    I'm giving rift a try just to see, regardless if I'm going to enjoy it or not or play it a lot or not, rift could at least be top 25. Rift could be the best MMO F2P game. I might play rift for free just for visiting people's dimensions to look at their creativity.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• DigironoDigirono Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    The OP is a witch. Burn him!

I agree, he would taste really good burnt. BURN HIM!

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

1. TSW - Unique and awesome game

2. Neverwinter - Unique as well and the Foundry is awesome.  What's with all the hate?

3. SWTOR - still a fun game to play

4. Defiance 

5. WoW

6. GW2 - the epitomy of generic...

7. Darkfall - hardcore pvp build drops it down the list

I just can't consider space travel games MMO's....maybe they are...but I can't

[mod edit]
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Relax. It's the staff's opinion. They are not definitively saying which games are best. They are saying what games, in their opinion are the best. They even briefly give reasons why for each one. It's a fluff piece, and you neck beards are acting like they said, for certain, what the best games are. How do some of you function in real life if you get so worked up over a difference of opinion when it comes to MMOs?
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Darkfall should have been at number 3.  In terms of long term playability it should have been #2, right after EvE.
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Relax. It's the staff's opinion. They are not definitively saying which games are best. They are saying what games, in their opinion are the best. They even briefly give reasons why for each one. It's a fluff piece, and you neck beards are acting like they said, for certain, what the best games are. How do some of you function in real life if you get so worked up over a difference of opinion when it comes to MMOs?

Because being right is the only thing that matters on the internet, apparently.

Only ads I've seen recently are RO2, STO, and Scarlet Blade - yet none made the list.

Yep, must be MMORPG.com is corrupt and advertising $'s = their opinion...

Relax. It's the staff's opinion. They are not definitively saying which games are best. They are saying what games, in their opinion are the best.

Which influences people buying or spending $$$ right?

• AdreuAdreu Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Nice list, glad to see DFUW on the list.
    Originally posted by MMOGamer1971
    Relax. It's the staff's opinion. They are not definitively saying which games are best. They are saying what games, in their opinion are the best.

I sort of doubt this article is going to influence anyone to go out and buy a certain game because normal people of sound mind will realize that it's not a review or anything definitive about any of the games covered. Spin it how you will, but people are acting like immature kids who just got told their favorite cartoon sucks.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by eccoton
    Originally posted by popezaphod
    RIFT is a ghost town?  Tell that to my guild that's raiding three nights a week and to the dozens of Great Hunt and DRR raids that are happening every day on Wolfsbane.

Agreed! Rift is no ghost town.

You keep telling yourself that while it's transitioning to f2p 8P

Game is completely devoid of life at lower levels... Heck even when I first got into SL there was barely anyone till I got to the last zones.......

And this was on Faeblight btw which is supposedly one of the most popular servers.....

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Man, if you guys like arguing about this one... I can't wait to see your reaction to next week's "Worst of 2013... So Far" list.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

I sort of doubt this article is going to influence anyone to go out and buy a certain game because normal people of sound mind will realize that it's not a review or anything definitive about any of the games covered. Spin it how you will, but people are acting like immature kids who just got told their favorite cartoon sucks.

Ah yes "the immature kid argument", how "mature" of you.

Let me ask you what is the reason behind a "Greatest MMOs of 2013" article?

Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Man, if you guys like arguing about this one... I can't wait to see your reaction to next week's "Worst of 2013... So Far" list.

So which game is making both lists?

Ah yes "the immature kid argument", how "mature" of you.

Let me ask you what is the reason behind a "Greatest MMOs of 2013" article?

To get views. It seems to have worked.

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Unless it goes (from order of worst to least worst)

1. WoW

2. TOR

3. GW2

4. NW

5. WoW again

6. TOR again

7. RIFT (cause it's going F2P)

You'll be wrong.

Because everyone else on MMORPG.com is right, except MMORPG.com.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

To everyone his own list..

1. Gw2

2. SWtor

3. LotRo

4. Eve

5. Eq2

6. DDO

7. Neverwinter

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by nationalcity
    RIFT is a ghost town?  Tell that to my guild that's raiding three nights a week and to the dozens of Great Hunt and DRR raids that are happening every day on Wolfsbane.

Game is completely devoid of life at lower levels... Heck even when I first got into SL there was barely anyone till I got to the last zones.......

And this was on Faeblight btw which is supposedly one of the most popular servers.....

I played a couple of months ago and Faeblight had a very healthy population...even at low levels.

Originally posted by Thorkune
    Originally posted by nationalcity

I played a couple of months ago and Faeblight had a very healthy population...even at low levels.

I regret to inform you that your opinion is completely invalid because his is different. 

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    I agree with the list mostly. Swtor and Eve Online are fun and enjoyable to me despite the detractors. I would've liked to see World of Tanks on that list.....Cant have everything.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes