Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Best MMOs of 2013... So Far

Comments

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

This list is a joke. MMORPG.com should start redesigning the home page to look like the side of a NASCAR stock car. 

We definitely live in an age where neither the TV media or even the Internet media are unbiased as they should be.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Acon
    I don't like wow, but how can wow not be on the list when a subpar clone of it is?
  • sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357

It seems like a fair list to me as a snapshot of the current market and prominent contenders in that market. WoW, for all of it's size, simply isn't the juggernaut it used to be; it's far from dead, but as an industry leader, fewer and fewer devs are going to be worried about it's presence as they plan their own games. Also, it really hasn't done much this year to earn a place on the list; simply existing doesn't qualify for the criteria listed at the start, no matter how big it is. I suspect that Neverwinter will slip as the year goes on and more games are released and/or revamped, but for now, it has earned it's place on the list.

As for Neverwinter still being in "beta," it has functionally been released whether or not Cryptic wants to officially say so or not; there may still be adjustments made in places, but anyone who seriously expects significant changes is fooling themselves. None of the others have reached that level of functionality or permanence yet, so forming any kind of official opinion on them beyond them having potential is a bit early.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    In my view, this list is not quite utter crap, but close. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if this is Bill's, then cool. However, imo, SWTOR's combat system is boring, hotbar crap. GW2 has all the charm of a used Kleenex compared to the original GW. Even though I personally don't like the game, no one can deny the impact and excellence of EVE, and that it should really be much higher on the list. WoW not being on the list is the right call considering what utter, overall crap it's become. Secret World should be higher on the list given its uniqueness. Despite catering to the hardcore gear grinders and ignoring alts and newbies, DCUO should probably be on the list for absolutely fun combat game play that shames all other super hero MMO games. And Darkfall... really? Did they buy hookers and blow for the folks at MMORPG? Again, my opinion, but that game is a complete waste of code and resources.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• WillyMMORPGWillyMMORPG Member UncommonPosts: 78

I'm currently playing (and loving) Secret World, so I'm a bit biased. I won't even attempt to list "my" top games because no one really cares what anonymous_gamer_#197621 thinks.

I will give a warning to people who play Neverwinter -- watch out for Cryptic and Perfect World. I played Star Trek Online for 3 years starting at launch. That game went from being a quaint, inept fun little niche game with a clueless game director (who even left to take another job, then returned "triumphantly" to lead the game again) to being a mindless grind oriented game with lots of cash grab "features" led by a dishonest, clueless game director (same guy, ironically) who pushed through changes that none of the player base wanted, then had to emergency patch to appease the angry masses coupled with a "humble" mea culpa dev blog post.

And if they haven't already implemented them, get ready for loot drop lock boxes that you must pay real life cash to open. These were the just about all of the "new content" that was released for better part of a year while the players begged for new storyline missions. The "content" part of the lock boxes? Super rare chance to get a premium star ship at about $1 RL per attempt (Keys to open the boxes and give you a lottery-odds chance at getting a ship cost about a buck a pop in the cash store).

• eisenryueisenryu Member Posts: 157
    With all due respect to the OP. Your list is terrible, and you should feel terrible. I feel that this list is based more on the ideas of those games, rather than the actual execution.

World of Warcraft is the original creation of God. Real Life is in fact a WoW clone.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    The OP is a witch. Burn him!
  • FoxyShoxzyFoxyShoxzy Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by Rayshe

The reason that Elder scrolls, and other unreleased games don't make the list. They AREN't RELEASED. Upon Launch they could possibly be added however until then the current grouping is where interest lies.

Well technically, neither is Neverwinter.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Planetside 2 and Defiance can perfectly take Swtor's and Darkfall's place.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    I got to say if this is the best of gaming 2013, were doomed
    Ps2 could be on it for the engine alone, most impressive mmo engine I've seen.

In these days of hyper instanced mmos where they break off into separate shards when you get say 100 people in zone, here is a mmo that handles 2000 people per zone, without culling while doing collision detection and real time bullet tracing and being one of the best mmos graphically.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

MMORPG.com should just stop doing lists like this.

They are always wrong.

Or right.

Or just off.

Or just on.

But man do they generate a lot of posts...

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by Brachus

Please stop complaining about games released prior to 2013 being on the list. If you take the time to read the intro:

"The list will include titles new to the industry this year, and past titles that have been doing “all the right stuff” so far... essentially it’ll be a recount of the games we think are hitting all the right notes in 2013."

My list would be:

3) Neverwinter

2) TSW

1) GW2

Did you even read the words you quoted? Lol.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

GW2 fetish continues, I haven't really seen them do that much right this year, generally overhyped minor things and their revenue continues to drop and my interest in the game continues to fade. When just one thing in that game becomes semi-meaningful maybe i'll play it again.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    I have to agree with many here Rift should be on the list and as for Bill's comment that Rift is a ghost town, wrong! If you played you would know Rift is no ghost town.
  • sidriansidrian Member Posts: 4

Wow might have the largest subscribers base, but it doesn't make it a 2013 game. The time has changed, we are sick of mmorpgs with standard quests, standard lvls, and standard bullshit.

This year is when things begin to change, this year ppl are starting to appreciate the TRUE mmorpg genre, the sandbox. Because, IMO, all the other mmorpgs (i think they'r more commonly named Themeparks) don't have replay value. I mean, if you like to log in, click on top of a monster head and get it's xp, you are a kid with nothing else to do.

People who got a life don't want to do meaningless things in a mmorpg, it's a fact. A good mmorpg must have surprise and fear elements, each time you log in you'll have a different experience because everything is player-driven, not just a bunch of AI npcs standing there.

This genre need more full-loot pvp, player-crafter usefull stuff, building... just like UO, Darkfall, and from what i've heard, EvE.

Usually, people who like games such as Neverwinter, Wow, GW2, and all the cloned garbage, simply haven't tasted the REAL stuff, the REAL fear of death and adrenaline rush experiences that one can have when battling a Boss while a PK is on your tail just waiting to steal your reward.

If you're not rdy for this, go back to the past decade, cuz 2013 it's going the right way.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by McGamer

This list is a joke. MMORPG.com should start redesigning the home page to look like the side of a NASCAR stock car. 

We definitely live in an age where neither the TV media or even the Internet media are unbiased as they should be.

I never thought I would say it about mmorpg.com, but I agree with you completely. I see this site heading down a slippery slope in regards to biased content.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by popezaphod
    RIFT is a ghost town?  Tell that to my guild that's raiding three nights a week and to the dozens of Great Hunt and DRR raids that are happening every day on Wolfsbane.

Agreed! Rift is no ghost town.

Originally posted by sidrian

Wow might have the largest subscribers base, but it doesn't make it a 2013 game. The time has changed, we are sick of mmorpgs with standard quests, standard lvls, and standard bullshit.

This year is when things begin to change, this year ppl are starting to appreciate the TRUE mmorpg genre, the sandbox. Because, IMO, all the other mmorpgs (i think they'r more commonly named Themeparks) don't have replay value. I mean, if you like to log in, click on top of a monster head and get it's xp, you are a kid with nothing else to do.

People who got a life don't want to do meaningless things in a mmorpg, it's a fact. A good mmorpg must have surprise and fear elements, each time you log in you'll have a different experience because everything is player-driven, not just a bunch of AI npcs standing there.

This genre need more full-loot pvp, player-crafter usefull stuff, building... just like UO, Darkfall, and from what i've heard, EvE.

Usually, people who like games such as Neverwinter, Wow, GW2, and all the cloned garbage, simply haven't tasted the REAL stuff, the REAL fear of death and adrenaline rush experiences that one can have when battling a Boss while a PK is on your tail just waiting to steal your reward.

If you're not rdy for this, go back to the past decade, cuz 2013 it's going the right way.

Or, people could like different things and that is ok.

Go play UO, Darkfall, EvE, etc.

Me? I enjoyed playing UO about 1,000x more when they did the Trammel/Felucca split, but I still spent a good chunk of time on Siege Perilous which was only Felucca and had slower skill gains.

To each their own - a concept I really, really, really REALLY wish people on MMORPG.com would understand.

Quality is not subjective. Quality = polish, Polish = lack of bugs, game systems work as they're supposed to, service is available and performance is acceptable. etc.

Personal taste for game mechanics IS subjective.

Originally posted by sidrian

so why the hell is a subpar wow in space on the list then?

fair enough 3 of the 7 are sandboxes

so why isnt ps2 in the list then, thats entirely player driven, has 3/4 million players per week and certainly isnt a "wow style mmo"

i dont see GW2 as a clone game, it borrows a few things from daoc, war, rift and coh... but its a fairly unique package.  Its not like say how swtor and rift are to wow,

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    How the heck did Neverwinter even make it on the list?! It's like a generic themepark MMO that offers nothing new and has one of the most expensive cash shops out there.  I was bored of it within an hour but made myself play it another couple days before finally uninstalling because it felt like a soul-sucking experience playing it that long.

Smile

Originally posted by Razeekster
    How the heck did Neverwinter even make it on the list?! It's like a generic themepark MMO that offers nothing new and has one of the most expensive cash shops out there.  I was bored of it within an hour but made myself play it another couple days before finally uninstalling because it felt like a soul-sucking experience playing it that long.

People could like different things and that is OK.

[mod edit]
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    [mod edit]
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Star Wars: The Old Republic? No Rift or LOTRO?

How much was that check from EA?