Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Art direction

richarddoylericharddoyle Member UncommonPosts: 84

So you see quite a few threads talking about the gameplay of ESO, but how do people feel about the art style of the game?

From the screens and videos I've seen, the environments look nice enough but the player models seem kind of meh.

And I don't mean the engine they're using, just the art style, the way the modeled everything.  Also, some of the animations seemed a bit... over the top for an Elder Scrolls game maybe?

Played: DAoC, AC2, WoW, CoH, GW, GW2, WAR, AoC, Champions Online, Rift, Dragon Nest, Vindictus, Warframe, Neverwinter, Dungeon Fighter Online

Currently Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online Global

Waiting for: None

Comments

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

I like the art style it has that Elder Scroll feel  to me atleast.

Also tho i dont worry about graphics in this genre since usually the higher the graphics  the gameplay seems to suffer so far.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I'm not a huge fan of most of the art style.

Some of it looks a little ridiculous. I would prefer that they turned up the "realism" a bit more.

Some of it looks silly. Having said that, the word looks pretty good.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    age of conan art style looks more like it should be in line with elder scrolls series than what they actually have. 
  • RollermintRollermint Member UncommonPosts: 47

The environment looks gorgeous but the char isn't as good (still looks pretty, however!).

They went the stylised route a little bit for chars but not overly-much ala WoW. I would prefer if they look a little grittier but thats just preference.

But we only saw some of the armor/facial styles and already they were quite impressive.

So I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Some of it looks a little ridiculous. I would prefer that they turned up the "realism" a bit more.

I think it's funny that someone might say turn up the realism with this game and then when I said that in the WildStar forums which to me look like a sat morning cartoon fans freaked out that anyone could criticize that direction. This game looks so much more in the realism realm than that game.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by keithian

I think it's funny that someone might say turn up the realism with this game and then when I said that in the WildStar forums which to me look like a sat morning cartoon fans freaked out that anyone could criticize that direction. This game looks so much more in the realism realm than that game.

Looking at Morrowind and skyrim I think the thrust of the art design is more toward realism than not.

I see no issues with making a highly stylized game.

I just think some of the art design for this game is a bit silly. This might change however.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• RollermintRollermint Member UncommonPosts: 47

Personally I think only the chars are a little bit stylised (but still within reasonable limits imho). I suppose they are trying to make up for the lower polygon count (since TESO is supposed to have large AvA battles).

The world OTOH looks stunning and beautiful and very much in line with the recent TES games. It still have the "designed to function as a MMO" feel to it but overall, I'm very happy with it.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

I thought the emphasis a little odd at first.

Generally attractive environments next to rather bland character models?

I'm used to it being the other way round where there is a lack of style somewhere...

However, when I considered (as from a previous point raised) that it is nowhere near as beautiful as Age of Conan - then paused to consider that mass PvP in AoC is still very numbers limited and requires low graphics settings and crashes all too often...

... with the emphasis on massive PvP Cyrodil gameplay, it became clear to me why 'plastic-fantastic' looking toons make logical design sense.

• AlveradAlverad Member Posts: 12

Environment looks alright, though it is tough to judge by the few videos that were released.  I am very disapointed with character models, taste aside, they looks like they don't fit in that rather appealing world at all.  From faces to body animations, they look ugly, stiff and unnatural.

There are f2p games out there that have nice character models; really hoping they will decide to revisit that particular design aspect before release.

• EntiochEntioch Member Posts: 49

As of right now, the games looks remind me more of Rift, then of  a TES game.

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by richarddoyle

So you see quite a few threads talking about the gameplay of ESO, but how do people feel about the art style of the game?

From the screens and videos I've seen, the environments look nice enough but the player models seem kind of meh.

And I don't mean the engine they're using, just the art style, the way the modeled everything.  Also, some of the animations seemed a bit... over the top for an Elder Scrolls game maybe?

No offense but it's a thousand times better then something like Wildstar.  Also the art direction is fine, esoecially considering they are shooting for 200 people being rendered on screen at one time.  Personal opinion but I like how it looks, feels very elder scrolls'y.  My only complaint is they are not including a Dye system for armor.

SUP

Originally posted by ZedTheRock

No offense but it's a thousand times better then something like Wildstar.  Also the art direction is fine, esoecially considering they are shooting for 200 people being rendered on screen at one time.  Personal opinion but I like how it looks, feels very elder scrolls'y.  My only complaint is they are not including a Dye system for armor.

It depends on what you are thinking of as "art direction".

For instnace, having the character models be a bit less (for lack of a better term) "high def" is fine because there are supposed to be a lot of them on the screen.

However, when you look at this shield (and how large the helmet horns are while we are at it)

as opposed to

and

the eso examples seem a tad bit silly.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

The *art direction* is great, imo.  Quality of character models thus far is irrelevant. 

I don't see any examples of scenarios that are overly 'silly' or too stylized as some in this thread are saying.  Maybe they could post some screens. 

Edit:  I'll have to reconsider my statement regarding character models.  I can see why their appearance would be of concern to some in regards to the overall art direction.  I was more focused on atmosphere, scenery, landscapes, architecture etc.  Which all look great, to me.  Character models don't look great, but they don't look poor either, IMO.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

The environments look fine, but the characters don't look realistic enough for Elder Scrolls.  They have that cartoon feel to them like SWTOR.  It's mostly the disproportionate bodies and the unrealistic armor design that kills it for me though.  I think everything about the game just feels like a generic fantasy MMORPG and they failed to capture the feel of an Elder Scrolls game.

An example of what I'm talking about:

That just reminds me of some World of Warcraft armor instead of an Ordinator from Elder Scrolls.

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

I agree with alot of people who say the character modes dont jive with the style of an elder scrolls game. They seem too fleshed out, rounded and overall colorful. More like cartoons than realistic. This style doesnt suit the theme of an elder scrolls game, for me anyway.

I will say the art for some of the structures seem on par. In the sense that I can look at a building and identify what culture or race it belongs to but I still feel that overly bubbly, characterized style still prevails.

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    Personally I think it looks great, but more importantly will be if it plays great, that will be the deciding factor for me. 
    Originally posted by Ujirik

The environments look fine, but the characters don't look realistic enough for Elder Scrolls.  They have that cartoon feel to them like SWTOR.  It's mostly the disproportionate bodies and the unrealistic armor design that kills it for me though.  I think everything about the game just feels like a generic fantasy MMORPG and they failed to capture the feel of an Elder Scrolls game.

That just reminds me of some World of Warcraft armor instead of an Ordinator from Elder Scrolls.

and that's a good point.

Here is the ordinator armor from Morrowind. It just looks better. I'm not talking about "high definition textures" or "how many polygons". I'm talking design.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

You have to be blind if you think the animation are good in this game or some of the character models. Let's hope you don't get into beta "everything's fine" is not the type of beta tester this game needs.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock Originally posted by richarddoyle So you see quite a few threads talking about the gameplay of ESO, but how do people feel about the art style of the game? From the screens and videos I've seen, the environments look nice enough but the player models seem kind of meh. And I don't mean the engine they're using, just the art style, the way the modeled everything.  Also, some of the animations seemed a bit... over the top for an Elder Scrolls game maybe?
    You have to be blind if you think the animation are good in this game or some of the character models. Let's hope you don't get into beta "everything's fine" is not the type of beta tester this game needs.

they don't need everything sucks type of testers either, judging by reading these forums most the posters here don't qualify.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Ujirik The environments look fine, but the characters don't look realistic enough for Elder Scrolls.  They have that cartoon feel to them like SWTOR.  It's mostly the disproportionate bodies and the unrealistic armor design that kills it for me though.  I think everything about the game just feels like a generic fantasy MMORPG and they failed to capture the feel of an Elder Scrolls game. An example of what I'm talking about: That just reminds me of some World of Warcraft armor instead of an Ordinator from Elder Scrolls.
    and that's a good point.

Here is the ordinator armor from Morrowind. It just looks better. I'm not talking about "high definition textures" or "how many polygons". I'm talking design.

other than the armor being a little more colorful, i don't see a huge difference honestly.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    It looks and feels like ES, if anyone says otherwise they should get a new graphics card and monitor... just saying.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    It looks and feels like ES, if anyone says otherwise they should get a new graphics card and monitor... just saying.

Agreed. Except High Elves are not as butt-ugly with their deformed, disproportionate facial features they had in Skyrim. They now look like they do with some of the better HD mods out for Skyrim. I think I actually might play one now :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    It looks like skyrim
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Ujirik

You Obviously haven't played many elder scrolls games because that is exactly how some dark elf armor looks in previous elder scrolls titles. And this screenshot is over a year old.

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

You see everything is fine because I have been playing MMO's long enough to understand there is certain give and takes involved when you're talking about translating something from a single player experience to a multi-player experience. 

Of course it doesnt look EXACTLY like Skyrim, it can't.  But of course your prolly one of those guys who bitches because "OMFG I can't place buckets over Vendors and rob them blind".  Narrow mindedness is 1 of the greatest complaints I have with gamers, especially considering MMO players.  And you sir are high on that list!

SUP