Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm so confused about how this game is thriving...

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

So I just quickly grabbed myself another account, chose Seaferers Rest (Eu), a medium population server (so should be empty), rolled a Norn, one of the least popular starting areas/races, and just out of the tutorial area I was playing with 2 other people.

All this on a friday, before 4 GMT.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

Originally posted by DanitaKusor
    Most MMOs soon abandon levelling zones, Guild Wars 2 is no exception. One of the reasons I think game levelling content is a waste of time.  An MMO with all endgame content would be far preferable to one that spends its entire budget on leveling content that people only do once.

Personally I don't understand why a developer hasn't looked at the TES series for inspiration in this area.

It stands to reason that players in general need a sense of progression through the game to inspire them to move forward, to give them a reason to play. So a leveling system is not inherently a bad thing; it's a straightforward measure of that progress (and, not to mention, a fundamental element of the RPG genre). So I don't think removing leveling is the answer.

I think the answer lies in dynamic content scaling. That is to say that when I join the game at level 1, I should not be set on a path to particular zones at level 60. Instead, all monsters and quests in the game world should offer rewards and experience that scales to my level. If I get to a zone and decide I do not want to be there, I should be free to move to any other zone in the game. When I tag a monster, it's damage, health and other such elements should automatically scale to whatever level I am.

In addition to this, class skills shouldn't be level gated. When I "ding", I should be able to choose what skills I want from a wide pool. There may well be some skills that require other skills to be taken before they can be picked up, but the bulk of the skills available to me should be available to me whenever I want them. If I move to X zone, and X boxx has X skill that I can't deal with, I should be able to go to my class skill trainer and pick up skills that would allow me to deal with that boss. The higher my level, the more skills I can unlock. Again, there's no reason a linear "suggested" system could not be included that suggests skills based on the zone you are in, or the level you are at, or based on the skills that you've already chosen, but I should be free to do it my way if I want to.

Gaming culture on the development side of things is all about concentrated content and features. GW2 is no exception to this, which is why I don't play it. Developers like Blizzard and ArenaNet think that novel systems, such as sitting down and having to drink every so often, are worthless because they just waste time. The reality is that MOST gamers are playing for the experience, not for concentrated content and features. MOST gamers WANT novel elements to their games, and find great joy in them. LotRo for example may not be the best MMO in the world, but it's instrument system makes it memorable (I had HOURS of fun playing my lute). Again, RIFT may not be the best MMO in the world but the Dimension system (and the soul tree system) make it memorable; regarding the soul system: it may not be a requirement - there may be cookie cutter builds - but it's fun, it's interesting, and it's unique. And there's a reason that "general gaming audiences" when a bit nuts about Eve Online and Walking in Stations (even though it appears to be cancelled now); it was novel, it looked fun, and it added a memorable layer to the game.

I sincerely hope developers and designers of the next generation aren't as lazy and unimaginative as the bunch we have now. I hope Kickstarter school conventional studios hard.

Ohhhhh boy *sighs*

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

So I just quickly grabbed myself another account, chose Seaferers Rest (Eu), a medium population server (so should be empty), rolled a Norn, one of the least popular starting areas/races, and just out of the tutorial area I was playing with 2 other people.

Hehe amusing, same server for my screenie above :)

Yep, the game is dead, no doubt.

Oh look at you two so hard at work trying to prove something. Unless you got the data from all the 51 servers you are not in any position to make claim about GW2 being dead or alive.

These screenshots are as legit as fans of SWTOR posting screenshot of starfleet and the selective areas to show how one server was very populated (which obviously according to them meant entire game is doing great) while rest were dwindling in numbers...and then merge happened.

Originally posted by Whitebeards

Hehe amusing, same server for my screenie above :)

Yep, the game is dead, no doubt.

Oh look at you two so hard at work trying to prove something. Unless you got the data from all the 51 servers you are not in any position to make claim about GW2 being dead or alive.

These screenshots are as legit as fans of SWTOR posting screenshot of starfleet and the selective areas to show how one server was very populated while rest where dwindling in numbers...and then merge happened.

Sure server mergers and people being laid off will disprove my argument.

What will disprove the argument of the game being empty?

High population servers don't count.

LA screen shots don't count either.

Now, even screenshots of low population servers, at off peak times, in one of the least popular starting area/race don[t count either.

Again what disproves it?

SWTOR had layoffs and server mergers within 4 months of release.

The game is dying song for GW2 started in September

Almost 9 months later no layoffs, no server mergers.

Not that server merges prove or disprove anything.

Blizzard does no server merges even when they lost 4 million people in the last 2 years or so.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• keirionkeirion Member UncommonPosts: 51

These screenshots are as legit as fans of SWTOR posting screenshot of starfleet and the selective areas to show how one server was very populated (which obviously according to them meant entire game is doing great) while rest were dwindling in numbers...and then merge happened.

Actually you are incorrect. Information has been offered with screenshots which were requested to point out that even the less populated servers have a population in the starting zones, which was the complaint of the op in one of the more populated servers.

Therefore, unless evidence can be offered to the contrary, as the data shows at this point, the OP was incorrect and therefore his points are invalid, end of discussion.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

To two posters above me. Once again..there are 51 servers in this game. if OP has no leg to stand on to make a claim about dwindling population  neither do you guys or anyone else posting screenshots from couple of servers. 

Data my a**!

To two posters above me. Once again..there are 51 servers in this game. if OP has no leg to stand on to make a claim about dwindling population  neither do you guys or anyone else posting screenshots from couple of servers. 

Data my a**!

What servers are dying then?

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Actually, not only no layoff, but ArenaNET are RECRUITING more people all the time.

Their "Career" page is full.

I'm sure they plan to pay all those people with the money they get from their "dying" game.

That's approximatively the same time after release when SW:TOR was starting the layoffs.

Their payroll wasn't built for and doesn't depend on subscriptions. The game could theoretically have 0 players, but the boxes were already sold.

Im not implying the game is dead or dying, just pointing out the flaws in your defense.

Data my a**!

What servers are dying then?

Good point actually, Gaia... isn't it those who make the claim who should prove it?

Originally posted by doodphace

Their payroll wasn't built for and doesn't depend on subscriptions. The game could theoretically have 0 players, but the boxes were already sold.

Im not implying the game is dead or dying, just pointing out the flaws in your defense.

What you post makes no sense here. Have you ever been in charge of a company? Me, yes.

You can't keep hiring and paying people if you don't have a steady income somewhere, people won't stay if they aren't paid. That's why Bioware fired so many people, and I remind you that SW:TOR was a buy to play + subscription game with a box price just as high as GW2.

Fact is, ArenaNET gets enough income from its game to be able to hire more people to make it run. No company worth its grain of salt is stupid enough to invest on a failing product. You can be sure they get a steady flow from GW2 from both new box sales, but also from gem purchases. And people who purchase all those gems are... yes, you guessed, bravo! Active players!

And need I remind you that Bioware built their huge team with continued subscription income in mind? Why does logic go completely out the window when it comes to GW2 on this site? Not to mention that ANet completely reorganized their teams after launch due to their business model (smartly).

Again, you take that post as me saying GW2 is dead...when in reality the point was that they can afford a larger active player dropoff than an MMO basing their staff off of subscriptions...The GW2 heroes on these forms really need to calm down and breath lol

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    What server is the OP on?  There are servers completely dedicated to WvW that don't give a damn about PVE zones.  They not only spend all their time at 80 in WvW but also do all their leveling in there on alts.

Actually, not only no layoff, but ArenaNET are RECRUITING more people all the time.

I'm sure they plan to pay all those people with the money they get from their "dying" game.

That's approximatively the same time after release when SW:TOR was starting the layoffs.

In that case they would only have a skeleton crew left.

They have more people now than while they were developing GW2 (which by the part of the sales were used to pay back the investment NCSoft did by paying Anet expenses).

So they are developing an xpac, which you wouldn't for a game with 0 players.

They are also releasing content monthly, which means micro transactions are making more than enough to pay the live team.

And need I remind you that Bioware built their huge team with continued subscription income in mind? Why does logic go completely out the window when it comes to GW2 on this site? Not to mention that ANet completely reorganized their teams after launch due to their business model (smartly).

Again, you take that post as me saying GW2 is dead...when in reality the point was that they can afford a larger active player dropoff than an MMO basing their staff off of subscriptions...The GW2 heroes on these forms really need to calm down and breath lol

[mod edit]

Do you really think ArenaNET made GW2 without expecting to sell a healthy amount of gems regularly? Gems are GW2's equivalent of a subscription.

And do you really think they would hire more people if they weren't sure they could afford them?

Fact is, they have enough players buying enough gems to allow them to hire people almost constantly since the game's release.

Fact also is, SW:TOR did NOT have enough subscription money to hire people when needed, and instead of that, they fired a good amount of them. Not to mention SW:TOR had a world wide popular IP GW2 does not have.

So when you compare a game relying on a rather "unreliable" way of income, non mandatory gems sales, but yet still hiring more people each month, with a game which relied back then on a safe way of income, a subscription each month, firing people, you know which game is successful and which one tanked badly.

Your entire post is defending the fact that GW2 is still selling well and SWTOR was a failure....2 things I did not question what so ever. Its really almost as if you read GW2 in a post without the words "best thing ever" next to it, and a switch flips in your head causing you to go off on a tangent defending its sales and attacking other points that never got made.

You really need to calm down and talk objectively.

They have more people now than while they were developing GW2 (which by the part of the sales were used to pay back the investment NCSoft did by paying Anet expenses).

They are also releasing content monthly, which means micro transactions are making more than enough to pay the live team.

I should have known you guys would cling to the 0 players far fetched analogy....cuz...that was my point...that the game has 0 players...right?

Its literally like a common theme here, you guys read a post that doesnt contain the words "GW2 is the greatest thing ever", and you snap, going on about things that were never implied lol

Holy /SIGH batman...

I should have known you guys would cling to the 0 players far fetched analogy....cuz...that was my point...that the game has 0 players...right?

Its literally like a common theme here, you guys read a post that doesnt contain the words "GW2 is the greatest thing ever", and you snap, going on about things that were never implied lol

Holy /SIGH batman...

Except SWTOR didn't go to 0 players to get layoffs, now did it?

It probably still had 1M subs during the first round of layoffs.

They were fired because the projections shown they wouldn't be able to recover the money spent in those workers payslips.

Anet people are still there because the projections show a future.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

i call it BS.

Screenshot of you using map chat and get the ''no one can hear you'' message or it didn't happen.

This

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by wordiz
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor
    Most MMOs soon abandon levelling zones, Guild Wars 2 is no exception. One of the reasons I think game levelling content is a waste of time.  An MMO with all endgame content would be far preferable to one that spends its entire budget on leveling content that people only do once.

It's called Neverwinter, and it gets picked a part for being too instanced.

Neverwinter gets picked apart for being a typical Craptic product.  P2W items (yes it is, ANY items that give an advantage is P2W which the Rez Scrolls and Health Stones alone make it P2W, no matter how you twist n turn it to justify that its not P2W), bland an unimaginative storyline, corridor SWTOR world feel, lack of end game (GW2 has more end game technically as their dungeons are much more vast and alternating along with puzzles, events, ect ect), poor engine, combat is a hit or miss, and not to mention it COMPLETELY butchers D&D.  Preaching how this is D&D is false advertisement and an D&Der can pick that game apart with all the blatant deviations that one questions at what point where does it even share traits of D&D besides names and skin.

The only saving grace of Neverwinter is the  Foundry, if it didn't have that then the game would have been a major flop, hell I doubt they would have even developed the game at all as it would have been a major risk and an expected failure.

GW2 accomplishes what it set out to accomplish and is being improved and continually publishes new events on a regular basis.  While it is not a 24/7 MMO gear treadmill, it is a good form of entertainment.  GW2 just differs in philosophy from most MMOs with that its not all bout the gear or progression.

Holy /SIGH batman...

They were fired because the projections shown they wouldn't be able to recover the money spent in those workers payslips.

Did you really just again harp on the 0 players comment, after i just annoyingly re explained that it was a far fetched anlogy? Are you even really reading my posts? You literally just confirmed my statement about seeing 1 word and then snapping into a GW2 defense tangent.

Your entire post is defending the fact that GW2 is still selling well and SWTOR was a failure....2 things I did not question what so ever. Its really almost as if you read GW2 in a post without the words "best thing ever" next to it, and a switch flips in your head causing you to go off on a tangent defending its sales and attacking other points that never got made.

Talk about clutching at straws...

Reread your own posts later maybe, and then my answers, and you will maybe understand why I made them. You were trying to say that ArenaNET hiring for its game wasn't a proof of it's success. I said that if they hire, they obviously have enough long term income to be able to afford it, and that means enough players to buy enough gems, which in turn means the game has a healthy population no matter what the doom sayers are pretending.

But whatever *shrug* believe whatever you want. You win, I give up arguing with you.

Really? Did I really say that? I personally think the game is obviously doing fine....but why would I even have to clarify that, I never implied the opposite...

Again, its exactly as if you read GW2 in a post without the words "best thing ever" next to it, and a switch flips in your head causing you to go off on a tangent defending its sales and attacking other points that never got made.

• latinkurolatinkuro Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by Mkilbride
    Should start merging some servers then. I am on Blackgate and it just seems dead. =/

Merging servers ? have you even heard of guesting lol !!!

if your server has medium population at certain times of the day on certain areas that doesn't mean the server is dead lol.

all servers even the full or very high ones have these hours at which no one is there.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

I have played in the off hours mostly, so that may be why I hardly ever see anyone. 1-20 zones were sort of alive, but after that I have only seen people occasionally running past. I am lvl 48 now, and since lvl 25 nothing has been said in zone chat, no one ever replied to anything I said or asked in zone chat. I had one group for one quest ever, took 5 minutes and no one said a word.

Problem is the game may not be as empty as it seem, its just no one has any reason to talk to anyone, there is no reason to group as you can just go to an event and do your own thing along with whoever else is there and then leave. Apart from a guild group I have seen no forming up and progressing an event, and for what reason anyways ?

I view gw2 as a single player experience, its a beautiful little time waster, and the game has so far not giving me any reason to play with anyone I meet randomly. I am sure two friends logging in and playing at the same time and the same hours it is fine, but finding people to do quests with for 5 minutes, quests that you can do solo anyways, is just a little too much for the brief period of interaction.

Progressing events have so far seem utterly pointless to me, some Karma and xp or unlock a town with a vender with nothing interesting, what is the point, am I missing something ?

Neverwinter I have reasons to group all the time, and although roles are vague, there are still tanks and healers and crowd control and the combat is far superior to gw2 - Well rather neverwinter combat is fun, although gw2 combat is technically probably better its not really alot of fun. But getting close to 60 in Neverwinter, I am starting to see the end of reasons to play further and with the limiting DnD rules I don't see that changing.

Oh, yesterday I killed a bandit and as he died he said "Well played" - A bandit I just killed should not say "Well played", he should be cursing me, second it is supposed to be a role playing game so gw2 please stop talking to me, talk to my character - That is a generally a symptomatic problem with gw2.

Did you really just again harp on the 0 players comment, after i just annoyingly re explained that it was a far fetched anlogy? Are you even really reading my posts? You literally just confirmed my statement about seeing 1 word and then snapping into a GW2 defense tangent.

Sure, my posts are simply talking about the 0 players.

GW2 had and has a business model - it succeeded.

SWTOR had a business model it failed.

How do we know GW2 business model succeeded?

Because there was no changes to it, there were no changes at Anet. And expanding is infact a valid point they expect to grow *if that comes to pass or not is a different matter).

How do we know SWTOR business model failled?

Because the business model had to change, people were fired.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by latinkuro
    Originally posted by Mkilbride
    Should start merging some servers then. I am on Blackgate and it just seems dead. =/

Merging servers ? have you even heard of guesting lol !!!

People don't seem to know their own servers as well.  Blackgate is a WvW server.  Guess where everyone is?!

Talk about clutching at straws...

Reread your own posts later maybe, and then my answers, and you will maybe understand why I made them. You were trying to say that ArenaNET hiring for its game wasn't a proof of it's success. I said that if they hire, they obviously have enough long term income to be able to afford it, and that means enough players to buy enough gems, which in turn means the game has a healthy population no matter what the doom sayers are pretending.

But whatever *shrug* believe whatever you want. You win, I give up arguing with you.

Really? Did I really say that? I personally think the game is obviously doing fine....but why would I even have to clarify that, I never implied the opposite...

Again, its exactly as if you read GW2 in a post without the words "best thing ever" next to it, and a switch flips in your head causing you to go off on a tangent defending its sales and attacking other points that never got made.

Be careful, you're getting dangerously close to personal attacks instead of discussing the matter at hand.

You said it right here:

How can you translate that? Yes, exactly like that: "ArenaNET hiring is not a proof GW2's success and healthy player base". That's exactly what you say here.

Which started the whole discussion, and which I disagree with (obviously) and am not the only one to disagree with. And I also disagree with the fact that you totally ignore the gem sales in your little business evaluation.

Point made (again), Picard out.

Yup, you are correct...I said all along GW2 is dead, got it.

Logic (again), out...

Because there was no changes to it, there were no changes at Anet. And expanding is infact a valid point they expect to grow *if that comes to pass or not is a different matter).

Show me where I said GW2's business model failed, and SWTOR's succeeded...

Show me where I said GW2's business model failed, and SWTOR's succeeded...

Did I say anywhere you did?