Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would EQ-Next benefit from an SWG crafting/resource system?

BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

A simple question.

One of my most favorite things from SWG was its complex take on crafting. It gave real physical emotional meaning to an item, or the "Made By:" tag on an item. You knew, that if "Billy Bob Show's" name was attached to something it was "server best". (example of course)

However, that's my personal take from the experience, and I also know for a fact it'd never work without an item durability system. So, you can't have awesome crafting without perishable crafted items. Keep that in mind :)!

Sincerely,

Bear

ps: I don't believe quested items (aka: no-drop) should be perishable. However, I do believe they should be RARE, hard to obtain, and mean something to own. That, and I do not want to EVER see the "no-drop" tag on anything except ultra-powerful or extremely rare to get items(Think artifacts from EQ1, or Epics)!

Comments

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

From what I've read, the SWG resource/crafting system was one of the better ones around.  I know I was impressed (and confused) with the complexity of Vanguard's version.

Durability/Decay of items is a way to keep things moving economically, but I'd prefer some form of repair as well.  Preferably something that requires a similar level of skill to repair the item, or perhaps it's not as good as it was.  Possibly even capping the  repaired item to the new level of the repairer.  Making the decision of when and who to repair things an important  consideration.

I did like seeing the names of makers on items, and getting to patronize a particular crafter. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

every game would, instead of oh look there is a random "Ore Node" sitting on the ground.

I like the idea of having to go around and trying to find "good quality" minerals, bone, skins or whatever other resource was needed. I made so much money in SWG by doing that.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Tierless

EVERy game can benefit from SWG :)

Yes, every game should emulate games that have been shut down. Makes perfect since!

@op No. Spreadsheet crafting is not fun.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Yes EverQuest Next can benefit from SWG crafting and resource system and hope they go that route.  They only thing I would change is this.  Sometimes resources would last only 3 to 4 days and I feel thats a little too fast for resources to change.  I would like to see them change every 7 to 14 days.  It was a pain every other day to check if the resource changed.  
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

From what I've read, the SWG resource/crafting system was one of the better ones around.  I know I was impressed (and confused) with the complexity of Vanguard's version.

My 2 favorite crafting systems. :)

I hope they chose 1 of the two. A good crafting system is vital for EQnext. :)

(Please do NOT give us a *click and wait* system like most games today. Even SWtor/Neverwinter versions of the *click and wait* by using companions, completely sucks!)

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    I like both systems, really liked the way Vanguard did harvesting and crafting, group harvesting was a nice touch also.
  • EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

Yes, every game should emulate games that have been shut down. Makes perfect since!

just because a game is shut down does not mean it did not have good ideas, or are you one of those sheep that think WoW is the best game ever because it has the most subscribers?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Ecoces

just because a game is shut down does not mean it did not have good ideas, or are you one of those sheep that think WoW is the best game ever because it has the most subscribers?

and also points out how little knowledge they have of the crafting systems in SWG, the problem really is that not many games can support a crafting system with that degree of complexity. But if EQ did have a crafting system like SWG's you'd find that more players would concentrate so much on crafting that the rest of the game would be ignored, perhaps thats not such a bad thing either image

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

yes for sure.. i mean they don't have to copy it exactly but it was a very good system so certainly taking the best bits from it cant be a bad thing.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    I actually got addicted to the surveying and resource extraction part of the game.
  • VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Sadly I never did play SWG so I missed out on the crafting experience. My husband did however and he had nothing but raving reviews for it. The idea that your character could be a crafter/gatherer and never touch combat is very intriguing. That groups would need to get together in order to protect the gatherer so that he could harvest his goods on some harsh and unforgiving planet. Thats just plain awesome! I would love to be a part of something like this.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

sorry, but that question should be only answered by people who really like crafting

it is same as if i said "no, there should be no pvp in any game" just because i dont like pvp

if you dont crafting, simply dont do it, and leave it to those who do

Originally posted by Ecoces

No, Wow does a number of things wrong, yet remains exceedingly popular in spite of them. While Galaxies may have had a couple of idea's, when you look at how many (especially on these forums) claim it could do no wrong when in fact it was not popular. The Nge happened because it was bleeding subs, not from greed.

Originally posted by Phry

and also points out how little knowledge they have of the crafting systems in SWG, the problem really is that not many games can support a crafting system with that degree of complexity. But if EQ did have a crafting system like SWG's you'd find that more players would concentrate so much on crafting that the rest of the game would be ignored, perhaps thats not such a bad thing either image

You would have a point if it were actually complex. The most complex part about Galaxies crafting was downloading the spreadsheet and making the deals to acquire materials. When it comes to crafting I do not want to have to plug a bunch of numbers into my spreadsheet to make the determination of what I should build today. that is tedium, not fun.

Originally posted by Benedikt

sorry, but that question should be only answered by people who really like crafting

it is same as if i said "no, there should be no pvp in any game" just because i dont like pvp

if you dont crafting, simply dont do it, and leave it to those who do

Out of which orifice are you pulling the idea that I do not like crafting?

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    I actually got addicted to the surveying and resource extraction part of the game.

Gathering resources, negotiating supply contracts with other players, experimenting with new resources and stat combo's, making manufacturing blueprints, mass producing food and marketing & distributing my products was 90% of my game play in SWG image

It's all I did and I played every single day from launch to the NGE. 

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

I have several problems with the old SWG-pre and post NGE, but crafting is not one of them. SWG's crafting was by far the best system in any game.

In SWG two crafters of the same level could craft the same item and have different results and still have a successful item that will carry their particular brand name on to the rest of the server. Experimentation points and what quality of the materials made it hard to get into, but once you did, it was very complex.

I ran an Item Mall on Chilastra outside of Theed. My specialty was armor, maxed stats and of any type you wanted, including the faction armor, both sides. I ran my Item Mall from about 2 weeks before the jedi village opened, until around 9 months before the servers shutdown. It took skill, patience and drive. Not everyone could be a successful crafter in SWG and that was a good thing. Well everyone could craft, but to actually put out quality gears took what some people just didn't have. And I took a lot of pride in seeing people wearing the armor I made.

In EQnext they really need to have two types of tradeskilling. One that helps with small things like bandages and camp kits that any class can take. And then make the Armorsmiths, Weaponsmiths, Architects and Alchemists their own class. Only allow two characters per server per account to make it so not everyone can have all of the crafters, and viola. You have your own in game economy that helps itself with little need for outside activity from Sony.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

First, I wasn't a crafter in SWG.  I am not too familiar with the system.

I do know that *many* fans of the game praise the crafting system as one of the best.

Therefore, it is clear that SOE would be wise to at least look into the features that made SWG great, while trying to avoid whatever pitfalls there may have been.  That doesn't mean dumbing it down to appeal to the 'instant gratification' crowd, though. 

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    I crafted in swg and loved going to my harvesters, surveying etc, that said if they do not have item durability the crafting system will not matter. What made the crafting in SWG so important was the fact that your equipment broke, as the old clone camping saying went turn him red, people would quit guilds so they would not have to lose their armor during a war.  

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200

the problem really is that not many games can support a crafting system with that degree of complexity. 

I cannot abide by this.   In this day and age,..c'mon Devs.   DWG's 'complex' system was working and that was 10 years ago!

I will never accept this as an excuse.  Graphics,..ok,..I understand.

But coming up with a complex yet accessible and fun system has nothing to do with hardware, imho. 

I blame their laziness and lack of imagination and fear of 'not being WoW'.

What current game really has people 'wanting' to craft?  not many,..it's an afterthought.  So I wouldn't think it would 'scare' anyone away who didn't craft anyway.  Give those crafters who do want to spend more time crafting than killing something to chew on.

bah,..I am ranting,..sry.

I will go mindlessly beat up thugs in DCU and wait for the Lotro upDate.

:p

Originally posted by Tabloid42

I cannot abide by this.   In this day and age,..c'mon Devs.   DWG's 'complex' system was working and that was 10 years ago!

But coming up with a complex yet accessible and fun system has nothing to do with hardware, imho. 

What current game really has people 'wanting' to craft?  not many,..it's an afterthought.  So I wouldn't think it would 'scare' anyone away who didn't craft anyway.  Give those crafters who do want to spend more time crafting than killing something to chew on.

No, you are ranting about depth vs complexity. The majority of humans do not care about why something works, just that it works. And the more complex you make it the harder it is to make others understand. As such no one will craft.

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200

No, you are ranting about depth vs complexity. The majority of humans do not care about why something works, just that it works. And the more complex you make it the harder it is to make others understand.

As such no one will craft.

Apparently  plenty of people Did craft in SWG,..and loved it and still carry fond memories.

but I sorta understand what you mean by the 'depth' thing,..

I shall refresh my memory with another viewing of Extra Credits' vids.  :p

actually , the only system I can see turning people off is in EveOnline,...which is very much more like a SpreadSheet Online than any other MMO.  And takes a special kind of patience to enjoy. Hence,, Niche I guess.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

No, you are ranting about depth vs complexity. The majority of humans do not care about why something works, just that it works. And the more complex you make it the harder it is to make others understand. As such no one will craft.

I beg to differ. I crafted and respected those that did take the time to craft, because it was complex. With the thought that you are conveying it's no wonder why many games are trying to emulate WoW. The whole mindset of, it's hard, so why bother is what got MMO's to where they are now, in a bad way.. Easy is less rewarding and some people welcome a challenge even when it comes to their entertainment.

Edit: Forcing complexity into crafting also allows others to be competitive even when they aren't topping DPS charts. Most crafters in SWG that I knew had the frame of mind of, the jarheads want to beat on each other, let them, just make sure they are using my weapons, armor and skill tapes to do it.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    The problem with the resource gathering portion of SWG's crafting system was that it relied on SWG's vast amounts of otherwise empty and pointless space.  At least that portion of the system would have to be reworked in any game that tried to avoid the horrible mess that resulted from SWG areas being a mostly barren invitation to ugly urban sprawl.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

the problem really is that not many games can support a crafting system with that degree of complexity. 

I played SWG and I had a tight nit group of 30 players.  I will tell you this, with only being allowed to have 1 character per server (until you unlocked your force sensitive slot) all but 2 of us had a 2nd account that we created for crafting.  Our first account was for killing and combat skills, the other was for crafting and most of the time everyone specialized in 1 or 2 items that we would craft.  I for example made Rocket launchers which were for my Commando team who took down AT-ST s in a few seconds.  The 2 friends who did not have a 2nd account for crafting, 1 was a combat medic that had all the crafting he needed on that account.  The other just used his account to place different structures to gather resources for us cause he didnt like crafting.  So what you think to be a small group of people that only like crafting its not as small as you think.  

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    EQN should be exactly like SWG pre-NGE/CU just in the EQ universe ;)

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

For real crafters, the people who play a crafter as their primary and only want to craft, then yes.  Any game with SWGs crafting/resource system would be better.

For wimpy crafters, those simple minded people who cannot comprehend a deep system and who only want to "get ore+NPC coal=breastplate" then no.  Those people furrow their brow and complain that they don't want to spend time crafting.

You need a deep resource system, a HUGE world to contain all that, some sort of item decay, and a looting system that works in tangent with the experimental crafting part. 

It's a bit undertaking.  Honestly, it is much more easier to place nodes and have WOW Crafting.  But they said they are making EQ Next the biggest sandbox ever, so maybe their is hope.

EVE and Horizons also have excellent crafting systems.  Vanguards is good, but it is closer to LOTRO than it is to SWG.