Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mark Jacobs on What Next for CU(talks about progression!)

MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
It's a pretty good video.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Why would you need to link an mmorpg.com video in a new thread on the same site?

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    So it can be discussed on these forums. Rather than on a video's comments.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I haven't watched yet and can't while I'm here at work (zzz). What does he say about progression? That's something that's very important to me and crucial to the game being able to hold onto its sub base for more than a few months after launch. Unfortunately it only got a few passing comments during the 30 days of Kickstarter rather than the lengthy video update it deserved.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Silhouette86Silhouette86 Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by meddyck
    I haven't watched yet and can't while I'm here at work (zzz). What does he say about progression? That's something that's very important to me and crucial to the game being able to hold onto its sub base for more than a few months after launch. Unfortunately it only got a few passing comments during the 30 days of Kickstarter rather than the lengthy video update it deserved.

He indicated in the video that progression would be more horizontally based as opposed to the whole vertical level grind and gear gain.  He used an example of sorcerer using a fireball. "if you use that fireball all the time then eventually it will get better, if you start using another skill with your fireball then that one will get better to.  Once both of those spells are good enough maybe you can unlock an AOE fire spell.  However the point of the game is not to have the best and most amazing fireball that ever existed and only use that"

That was the best quote i could think of to sum of character level progression (and I was paraphrasing it a bit to).  In terms of realm progression there were less updates.  Hope that helps your work day a little.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Thanks. That sounds like all the same stuff he's mentioned before. It's a good start and I like it, but I'd like to learn more details especially about the RvR progression aspect.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187

Thanks, Mkilbride, for posting!

It was a good video.  MJ really hit his stride about half-way through it.  His interviews get me stoked for more and more updates.  He is able to discuss the game in a way that clearly discriminates and conveys its core principles.  It makes it easy to see where "all those games that threw everything and the kitchen sink at the wall just to see what would stick" went wrong.  I cannot see MJ and CSE making those same errors here.  I hope those PvE levelling, gear grinding and vertical progression fans are listening...

The discussion of horizontal progression was clear, consistent and exactly as I had hoped. 

/cheers

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Mkilbride
    So it can be discussed on these forums. Rather than on a video's comments.

The comments are on the forum...baffled

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Cools, ty I missed this.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot