Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Best MMOs of 2013... So Far

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by wizardelo
    where is Wildstar on the list, i cant believe neverwinter fail is here and wildstar isnt, i can only conclude that our Author did not have a change to play it and thus no opinion.

WildStar's not even out yet. :P

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Umm Wildstar, Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny .... None of them even made the list. What the heck Bill Murphy? ( ok just kidding ) i just couldnt help it with such a variation in interpretation.
  • KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    I agree with ShakyMo, not about the payment part, but about the those games are not from 2013. A best of 20xx is meant to be a list of games that came out that year. Especially when you say Best of 2013 So far, implying more are coming, games from previous years did not launch in 2013 and do not belong. Period. So congratulations on poor use of titling.

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330
    No planet side 2.  Its an MMOFPS but it is still great.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Honestly, of all the 7 games mentioned, I think TSW and NW are the only ones that are actually good...
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

You forgot PIRATE 101! The best game of 2012, possibly of all time.

/sarcasm

• volvoxaureusvolvoxaureus Member Posts: 27
    SWTOR is there and TSW but no WOW ..good joke but WoW has his own rank: THE KING !!!!
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Star Trek Online should be in there with an expansion coming, as well as Season 8 and 9

SWTOR is no where near hitting the right notes. Even Vanguard is getting more love than SWTOR is!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

How many other MMOs were there? This is more of an ordering of all the running MMOs by order of preference.

I would have put TSW ahead of SWToR.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No poe

Because poe isn't a mmo. This they got right.
  • ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    Not sure how WoW, Defiance and Rift could get left off of this list.
  • asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

GW2 was good, like vanilla ice cream.  It's not the best flavor but it didn't do anything wrong.  It's not that I think it's great, but it has less mistakes than the rest and so floats to the top like the best turd in the bowl.

I'd replace NW with Planetside 2, Age of Wushu with Rift, although I didn't hate Age of Wushu. I think that you're onto something about AoW having something new to bring to the MMO field, still I'd place it 8th.

Asdar

• BrachusBrachus Member UncommonPosts: 97

Please stop complaining about games released prior to 2013 being on the list. If you take the time to read the intro:

"The list will include titles new to the industry this year, and past titles that have been doing “all the right stuff” so far... essentially it’ll be a recount of the games we think are hitting all the right notes in 2013."

My list would be:

3) Neverwinter

2) TSW

1) GW2

Replace swtor with anything

Even scarlet bloody blade
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

My personal list of current games to keep an eye on....

1) TSW - Best "leveling" experience.  Best dungeons.  End-game is kind of grindy.  With the right developments, this could become this generations 'Eve".  

2) FF14 - Was released and will soon be re-released.  I think Yoshida and his crew are pulling in just the right number of notes from what we expect from MMOs while retaining some of the interesting qualities of the original and throwing in an even heavier dose of FF Fanfare.

3) GW2 - Not a huge fan, but I appreciate much of what ANet did with this one.  I'm excited to see where they take it as 2013 winds down.

4) NWN - Perfect when you just need those short, quick doses of fun.  I think this game will live and die by its foundry.  It seems relatively capable now, hope for something even more capable at the end of 2013.

5) Defiance - Like NWN, its perfect for those short, quick doses of fun.  I haven't had any issues, and the gunplay is addictive.  I think the game could use a bit more depth and am interested in seeing where Trion takes it.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by volvoxaureus
    SWTOR is there and TSW but no WOW ..good joke but WoW has his own rank: THE KING !!!!

world of warcraft - had the worst year expansion from a premium game imo if they wanted togo with shock value=they got it... had it been ANYTHING other than MoP it would of  still prob be in my HD....k maybe not.

but maybe made my list-

Originally posted by rwyan

My personal list of current games to keep an eye on....

1) TSW - Best "leveling" experience.  Best dungeons.  End-game is kind of grindy.  With the right developments, this could become this generations 'Eve".  

like you thinkin!

:-)

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Where is <insert game here>?!?! <insert game here> is way better than <game on list>!!

Does <game company> pay you off or what?! Lol <insert game here> is for little kids unlike <game I like>.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

Guild Wars 2 failed so much for original Guild Wars players especially in PvP as ArenaNet catered to the masses instead of their loyal fanbase. In the end I think they shot themselves in the foot. It's still a great MMO but not what most had hoped for regardless of updates.

Neverwinter at #3 is interesting but I'd have to agree. Although I've never tried EvE I know it has a die hard following. I would have put Star Wars at #7.

+1

Well wow vs tsw is debatable. Tsw has the best quality dungeons out their, though obviously wow beats it on quantity, its also got a novel questing and novel advancement system.

Wow vs swtor is a no brainer though, swtor is just wow in space done badly, with a lifeless world.
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

Guild Wars 2 failed so much for original Guild Wars players especially in PvP as ArenaNet catered to the masses instead of their loyal fanbase. In the end I think they shot themselves in the foot. It's still a great MMO but not what most had hoped for regardless of updates.

Neverwinter at #3 is interesting but I'd have to agree. Although I've never tried EvE I know it has a die hard following. I would have put Star Wars at #7.

+1

im part of the 'masses'...sucks to be u.

<.<

jk.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Guild Wars 2 is the only game I look forward to. Everything else is just meh, really looking forward to Shroud of the Avatar.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    How about: "None of the Above".
    Originally posted by volvoxaureus

They might still be the king but numbers are dropping faster than ever. The raiding community is pitiful, even in cata it was better than it is now. They might still have great PvE content and class playability, but you can see alot of servers have maybe 1 really good guild doing heroic raiding. I'm sure you'll find a good guild, but now you got to server hop for that in most cases.

Originally posted by Burntvet
    How about: "None of the Above".

Then I don't know why you come to this site if that's your answer.