Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happen to North America?

We got a company in Germany that developed Cry Engine 3 and we got a Korean country that has the right to enjoy a next gen MMORPG ArcheAge, almost 4 months now. So the only question remains:

"What happen to North America dominance?" It seems to be stalling behind.

Starcraft oldschool aka wise/04. SWG/UO aka Wise HeRo, Light Jedi Knight pre-cu (Bria)

Comments

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

If you didnt notice the whole western civilization is going slowly down and east up. Because west is no longer the one with the technologies, now east have them too and they also have all the resources, unlike europe,na which have to by them from east :)

standard of living is changing, soon it wont be American dream, but Russian dream, etc.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    People always have drive to get to the top. Once you get there though, your children feel they're entitled to it and have no reason to do what it takes to stay there. We're a nation of under achievers. We copy what worked rather than improve on what we have. Games are just more obvious in that way because the industry moves faster than most.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Pynda

My theory? America is becoming a nation primarily of consumers, not producers. We are in essence now living off of our inheritance. And when that's gone.... 

Is becoming..? No offense, but the US hasn't really developed anything ground-breaking for the last 2 decades. Looks like the cold-war was a good reason for the US to keep developing anything groundbreaking, but ever since The Wall has been torn down it's been going down hill. Even NASA now has to rely on the Russians to bring their astronauts to the ISS...

BTW, EU is also not that groundbreaking anymore... Looks like the Western world in general is getting behind and that the Asians are slowly taking over...

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

My theory? America is becoming a nation primarily of consumers, not producers. We are in essence now living off of our inheritance. And when that's gone....

I do have some sympathy for the position, though. Am I willing to compete in the new world order with a Chinese worker making $1 a day? Absolutely not. But that is apparently the only choice having a rigid adherence to a "free" market allows us. So screw all of it. I'm just glad that I will probably be checking out before equilibrium is reached. And that I have no children.

its is our own fault, cause that doller a day is almost enough to live as the everage person over here dose. we as a people have inflated the value of money here, and because of that it is easy to outsource all work.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

China's per capita GDP as measured by the purchasing power parity method rather than exchange rate is around $9000, or about $25/day.  Since that includes people who are not working (e.g., children), they've got an awful lot of people making a whole lot more than $1/day.  For that matter, it's high enough that an employer who offered $1/day likely wouldn't get any takers, as there are better jobs elsewhere.  Countries that genuinely do have a lot of people making somewhere in the ballpark of $1/day tend to be such basketcases that they're not really capable of exporting much.

But since when has North America ever been the dominant power in computer games?  25 years ago, Japan held that role.  Furthermore, even today, a lot of games are made in the US.  The original poster gives one example of a game engine made elsewhere and a game using it that was also made elsewhere.  But what exactly is that supposed to prove?

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by TheScavenger
    The US has more laws and people locked up than in China.

Lolz.  And here I thought I was the only one that noticed.  

Don't worry, the news tells me everything is sunshine and lollipops.  Everyone knows the media never lies so it must all be good.  They told me to think so.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

Lolz.  And here I thought I was the only one that noticed.  

Don't worry, the news tells me everything is sunshine and lollipops.  Everyone knows the media never lies so it must all be good.  They told me to think so.

well, its because in the USA they are locked up, as opposed to disappeared.image

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

A lot has to do with the H1B Visa whereby the states entice/encourage geniuses around the world to come and work for them with lucrative deals (this is easily obtainable since the U.S. is a culture that mixes all cultures).  Lately we've seen many of these students -- who were educated at IVY League schools as part of the deal in some cases -- move back to where ever they were born (be it china or else where).  Since the 80s and 90s education hasn't been all that important to the U.S. simply because of this visa.  We even have things in place such as "no child left behind" and making conditions whereby a young woman, who didn't know how to read, could get Valedictorian and a full scholarship to a University (this actually happened once, as it was found the woman just copied homework/tests or put her own name on someone else's work when there was a due date; suffice it to say she didn't last two days at the University level before it was discovered).

I'd say one of the last biggest inventions that affected the public sector that the U.S. produced was the Internet.  It was invented by a group of Physicists to be used as a tool of war during the cold war, with it's initial purpose to produce mass communication for reconstruction and fighting when New York and Washington were nuked.  When that didn't happen, the defense sector did something unprecedented and released the Internet to the public and then to the world for free.  There have been other significant inventions since, but must are still private or under extreme testing.

Some of these include:

Self driving cars (still being tested in the Mohave desert)

Flying cars (actual prototypes have succeeded in this, but not in the way we'd think)

A doctor like toilet:  When you "go" the toilet analyzes everything and tells you want you should eat less, consume more and even tells you if it detects a sickness.  Some physicists have said that it could even detect major diseases ten years in advance and to inform your doctors of such.

Teleportation (haven't reached living things yet, I don't think)

Computer glasses and contacts:  Able to translate any language and put it on subtitles / able to recognize someone and put their name on screen in case you forgot.  Also able to surf the internet, download movies and musics, etc.

Augmented Reality:  Able to place things where they are not through your eyes (glasses/contacts) such as making a replica of another world (history reconstruction of an old civilization?).

Wall paper computers:  Able to bring your work around with you in a room or house; it will follow you, and be interactive much like touch screens.  Might even be able to play games as such as well.

Invisibility:  The cloak in Harry Potter is a technology that exists, and is said that it will be perfected in just a two short decades by known Physicist and expert on String Theory Dr. Michio Kaku.

Shapeshifting "Programmable Matter":  Not of human beings or living creatures as we known them, but of incredibly small nanomachines coming together for form something.

Robotics:  Making smart computer robots for various purposes:  Japan is spear heading this in hopes to care for their elderly in the future.

New transistors:  We're starting to reach the maximum capacity of CPU chips and the like.  We're investigating something to replace it.

Electronic Telepathy:  The ability to attach a chip to the brain that could control a computer, surf the weap and read/respond to emails.  This was tested on someone who became a vegetable after an accident, and he was able to speak with his family through electronic telepathy because of this.

Immortality:  There is a quote in the physicist community that states "The only regret I have is that we'll be the last generation that dies".  I still think this is a ways off, but they have found certain genetics that allow for aging.  In addition, there is the whole issue of cybernetic interfaces and reproducing human organism, of which they have been vastly successful as of late.

Here's an interesting video about the potential technology of 2030:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=219YybX66MY

In 1984 the United States had sunk tens of billions of dollars into what is known as the Large Hadron Collider, and it was to be constructed around Texas and be thrice the size of what we currently have in Europe.  However, once congress asked "If we could find god" with such a device, they were unamused when the response was "We'll find the Higgs Boson".  The project was scrapped and didn't get the secondary funds it needed in this period of pulling back such research costs (in addition to having very religious leaders).  One of the reasons this comment wasn't appreciated was mainly due to a misunderstanding of what the Higgs Boson was (it was a magazine editor that erased what the physicists called it and put "The God Particle" so that they could sell more copies, much to the dismay of Physicists).

Much of what's happening today is a transition from a Tech level 0 planet into a Tech level 1 (or tech civilization).  Where you fully use the power of your home world and have a sort of unity.  We're seeing this develop today in having a "common" language (english, which is the "language of business/science/pop culture"), moving towards a common currency (the Euro is an example, as countries that used to shed each other's blood now have a singular currency), and our search for things other than just oil and plants to power our technology.  Even the United States is a first step in this, as it (as mentioned before) mixes all cultures.  It's a grand experiment of sorts in that light.

Finding inhabitable worlds out in the galaxy is also a big point for many scientists.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

USA was topnotch in tech in the past?

Tesla was Serb.

Einstein was German and had a mathematican genius wife that didn't get any recognition.

Mensa says highest IQ from 2007 I believe had the Slovenians. Now I don't know if Japan or Korea has passed that or not, but they are there somewhere.

People from East go to work in West because they live better there and get more money. Then maybe they return back when they  are old and dont need to work anymore.

Americans only know one language usually, while EU has lots bilingual, trilingual and so on and Asia has different alphabetic letters (also East EU). And it has been researched that the more language you know, the less chance it is for you to become alzheimers.

To me, US is nothing special except their television and music.  But I dont watch movies anymore now that internet is mainstream. Heck, I can even go to viki to check out other countries tv series with subtitles. Games by americans are nice too. But any culture in USA except that is not impressive. It is the other way, with racism, crimes and kids with weapons.

You dont want to live in China now or in the near future unless you dont mind the highest pollution in the world and that you have to wear a gasmask everytime you go outside.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239

This is the truth..I am surprised  that American people did not have a spring fling to clean out the corruption..

I retired retroactively..Haha

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by DMKano

This entire thread is nauseating as it only brings out prejudices, stereotypes and ignorance. Nothing good can come of this.

We are all in this together on this planet, we are interdependent, we can only move forward collectively.

Just because you are blind to see what's happening, the rest of us aren't.  None of us said anything about not liking each other, they are just merely stating their observations of what's ACTUALLY happening.  You have a lot to learn if you think that every nation is going to hold hands and just pool all their resources and wealth together to share with one another...

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Surely racism.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Some things.

-There is a very heavy focus on FPS in the US, on violence in general to be honest. Violence and FPS are a very popular game genre in the US, it's not a good export product.

-Wages, the US can not compete with wages in Asia, or wages in Eastern Europe. They're much much lower (although wages are going up very fast in China)

As far as Crytek, Crytek is an anomaly, Germany doesn't have a really big gaming industry, the fact they make one of the best engines is more of a coincidence I think.

Originally posted by dotdotdash

Surely racism.

I know you're joking, but it actually has partly to do for me with where the game comes from.

I do not buy US game on PS3 almost, because almost all are FPS and violent games. Has nothing to do with hating the US, or  not wanting to buy from the US (I love my iPad), but I'm just not interested in what US game developer release, since 90% of the time it's about running around with a gun.

It's different for MMO though, I quite enjoyed Rift and EQ for example, but for console games I try to stay away from US titles, since many many are about violence non-stop and guns.

with a Chinese worker making $1 a day?

quickly changing though, most factories in China now have to deal with unions, and most workers are now part of a union

China's middle class is very well off, they have money and their basic needs are met, they are asking for higher pay and want the same luxuries the West has

wages in China are now higher than in Mexico:

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

strange, save for one game most MMORPGs in the world was korean, only US games I liked to play was UO and T4C, my consoles time was mostly japanese games, only my computer was more like more us but that was in general for MMO market only I played more eastern games then western games.

korea is big for MMORPGs and that is not a new thing

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

"What happen?"

Somebody set up us the bomb.

-----

I just thought that seemed appropriate to this discussion.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Perhaps the simplest answer is the the internet has made us more aware of the rest of the world. As long as Americans only knew about America... then it had to be great. Now that we can see what the rest of the world is doing, we are finding out that we are not as great as we thought....
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DMKano

This entire thread is nauseating as it only brings out prejudices, stereotypes and ignorance. Nothing good can come of this.

Consider the source. ;)

That said, this belongs in the politics section.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

As far as Crytek, Crytek is an anomaly, Germany doesn't have a really big gaming industry, the fact they make one of the best engines is more of a coincidence I think.

Germany was rather big not long ago but in the past few years a lot of the studios there got bought up or closed. You're correct, though, with the exception of Crytek, Bigpoint, Gameforge, Gamigo, and Splitscreen there really aren't many sizable Germany studios/publishers left.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506
    America isn't making a gaming engine!? Clearly our Civilization is in decline.

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal Originally posted by TheScavenger The US has more laws and people locked up than in China.
    Lolz. And here I thought I was the only one that noticed. Don't worry, the news tells me everything is sunshine and lollipops. Everyone knows the media never lies so it must all be good. They told me to think so.
    well, its because in the USA they are locked up, as opposed to disappeared.

Yes, exactly. It is permissible for village elders to imprison anyone whom they desire for up to three years without a trial. There are less people in prison because people, by and large, know better than to go against the system. It is a communist country.

Necessity is the mother of all inventions. Little brilliance comes from the USA because it isn't required. We live comfortably and safely just by being smart. Exceptional people live even better. The USA still has major important technology innovation, especially military.

What concerns me moreso than the lack of western brilliance, is the amount of money owed to China. Historically, many wars were started because one country didn't want to repay its debts to another country.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Edeus
    America isn't making a gaming engine!? Clearly our Civilization is in decline.

Yes indeed.

Forget GDP, unemployment, stock markets, commodities markets and currency markets... the new economic indicator is gaming engines.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    And yet i would live no where else in the world other than US.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

North America is fine, especially when compared to the East.  The two markets are very different, and rarely compatible.  As for technological progression, it's mostly still all being done over here.  There are some examples of Western countries outside of NA that innovate in the game industry, such as Crytek, but those are exceptions, at least when it comes to AAA stuff.

Even Crytek is more of an oddity than a success story, since there aren't many games that use the engine.  It's technically great, but very expensive to license.  Not to mention there's no point in developing for it if you plan to focus on consoles at all, which can't take advantage of the real benefits yet.

Most of the gaming companies that are releasing decent-quality stuff are still coming out of the US and Canada.  Europe has a few holdouts, like CD Projekt, and a thriving indie community, but not much else.  Asia has a lock on the crappy MMO market, where they build something in 6 months, throw a cash shop on it, and see if it sticks.  Once in a while, they'll try something more permanent, like Final Fantasy or Aion, but even those usually have problems in the West due to fundamental culture differences (they tend to like punishingly difficult games that are very linear and time consuming, whereas the West tends to favor more open-world games with less difficulty).

In short, nothing happened to NA.

You make me like charity

This discussion has been closed.