Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Best MMOs of 2013... So Far

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

We're bringing back The List, with a video twist.  And to start things off, we're counting down the best MMOs of 2013 so far.  The honored games can be both new and old titles, so read on to see our picks, and be sure to add your own!

We’re going to countdown the top seven MMOs of the year, through the first several months. At the end of 2013, we’ll look back at this list and see just how well our picks fared and whether we need to change our minds and pick different games for our annual Best of the Year Awards.  The list will include titles new to the industry this year, and past titles that have been doing “all the right stuff” so far... essentially it’ll be a recount of the games we think are hitting all the right notes in 2013.

Read on and watch The List: The Best MMOs of 2013... So Far.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Guild Wars 2 failed so much for original Guild Wars players especially in PvP as ArenaNet catered to the masses instead of their loyal fanbase. In the end I think they shot themselves in the foot. It's still a great MMO but not what most had hoped for regardless of updates.

Neverwinter at #3 is interesting but I'd have to agree. Although I've never tried EvE I know it has a die hard following. I would have put Star Wars at #7.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

SWTOR is definitely one of the best MMOs on the market. The Best in my opinion :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Do not agree with the list but that is only my view :)

tera, rift, wow, aion are missing ... throw away swtor, neverwinter, dfuw :)

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Where's HKO?

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Agree with the list except for Neverwinter.  With it's predatory cash shop the game is a instant no play for many of us.  Sure you can have fun in the game, but isn't the idea of a MMO to develop your character to end game.  You really can't have an end game with what is only in their cash shop, so why waste the time?  There are plenty of fun MMO's out there.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    You know it's a bad fucking year if SWTOR made the list ;)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• Beyond_EterniaBeyond_Eternia Member UncommonPosts: 102

IMO it be

1. WoW

2. GW2

3. Eve (never played it though lol)

4. TSW

5. SWTOR

6. Rift

7. Neverwinter

Time you enjoy wasting...is not wasted time
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    You know it's a bad fucking year if SWTOR made the list ;)

Made me lol irl.  How the hell did rift not make that list with the F2P announcement it sure beats the hell out of SWTOR.

Well Im playing GW2 guess Im on trend for 2013, just need a guild soon!

I am pleased DF made the list and should have been above swtor.

I find it very interesting that EVE is still growing and is the only mmo to do so after 10 years.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Not what I would have, for starters SWTOR and Darkfall wouldn't be on the list but RiFT would be.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Imho RIFT should be just behind EvE and Darkfall doesn't belong on the list.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

I ve made my list according to what ive played. or currently playing...

5.Tera- for their Bold F2p move. n leading it

4.Defiance- a great concept! fun game! bumpy start!

3.eveonline- for their concept and loyalty

2.GW2- huge zones -Anet a classy  dev team!-best PR art work!

1. TSW- from concept  style to engaging stories...to pvp ...and dev teams! and dosent insult peoples mmo intelligence!

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    is this joke 3.) Neverwinter ? Wher is Rift?

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    1. . TSW  - one of the most enthralling, atmospheric and innovative things in mmo space.
    2. Neverwinter - player created content, good overall production values, feels more D&D than DDO did. 
    3. Defiance - bassically Borderlands minus toilet humor or boring parts.
    4. Rift - Possibly best traditional mmo on the market right now, which will slay half the f2p genre when it goes free. 
    5. Age of Wushu - One of best sandboxes on the markert right now. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    How much did ea pay you to put a game from 2011, that sucks, on a best of 2013 list?

Also eve, gw2 & tsw aren't from 2013 either.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Skullagrim is right on the money up there.
    Wow is still number one GW2 easily number 2
    The rest falls into place with Neverwinter dead last.
    I think this year is goijg to hurt Gw2 and wow though with eso and wildstar coming.
    I know wow is braced for impact i just really hope it doesnt hurt gw2 that much. Even though i hate gw2 pve i have loads of fun in spvp.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Also swtor better than rift, wow and ps2

Really?
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Rift #1 :D
  • AxewielderxAxewielderx Member Posts: 96

Have no idea how Neverwinter made this list. Get a clue! They released a game in which the auction house eats astral diamonds. Tons of players have been complaining on the forums and sent in bug requests and they ignore them. I complained in game and out and never received a response or the lost astral diamonds. Any game where players can lose real money and not be compensated or even replied to, should never make a "best of" list. 

Sometimes, this site makes me sad.

If we fail to change the things of today, they will become the lucid nighmares of tommorrow.

• FoxyShoxzyFoxyShoxzy Member UncommonPosts: 120

Neverwinter shouldn't even be considered until Cryptic steps up and admits that the current open Beta is a soft release.

WoW is still the best MMO out there for my money.

• kaltahnkaltahn Member Posts: 31

Just curious, but what heuristics are being used to come up with the list?  "Best MMO of 2013" is pretty vague - best in terms of what?

And I'm currently enjoying the **** out of Neverwinter, without having paid a dime for any of it.  It's an easy game to like, if you're cheap like me and don't bother with trivial matters like min/maxing.  It's definitely one of the top picks in my list.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Rift might make the end of year list we're aiming to do in November (prior to the true "Awards" in December), if the F2P turns it around. But Storm Legion was a let down and it's been a ghost town for months.

Opinions folks, we all can haz them.

From the article and video both:

"At the end of 2013, we’ll look back at this list and see just how well our picks fared and whether we need to change our minds and pick different games for our annual Best of the Year Awards.  The list will include titles new to the industry this year, and past titles that have been doing “all the right stuff” so far... essentially it’ll be a recount of the games we think are hitting all the right notes in 2013."

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

Darkfall - Played the original and it was ok.

Age of Wushu - looks terrible, wouldn't even try it

TSW - agree, VERY underrated; nothing even close to as unique

SWTOR - I honestly have no problem with the game; several fun months, people just love to get on the h8 bandwagon

NW - HORRID, will never put on my HD again... seriously, this game is bad, again, lemmings like it much like #1

EVE - great game, no complaints

GW2 - OH! I didn't see that coming; number 1.  Despite the fact I play it (rarely anymore), it's one of the most over-rated games of all time (next to Bioshock Inf. and Half Life).  OK, there's a lot of over-rated games IMHO, too many to list.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Slim pickings this year by the looks of it, hopefully something new rolls out to make this list meaningful. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

1a) Age of Wushu

1b) EVE

2) Secret World

3) Darkfall

4) Guild Wars

5) Neverwinter

5) Swtor

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • wizardelowizardelo Member Posts: 6
    where is Wildstar on the list, i cant believe neverwinter fail is here and wildstar isnt, i can only conclude that our Author did not have a change to play it and thus no opinion.