Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arche Age Officially Ruined

Comments

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Player A: Running around with a 150% speed horse, all happy.

Player B: Bought a car at the cash shop and now speeds around in 300% speed.

This game will succeed!

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

I started watching the video and was thinking "what's wrong with this? just some mounts..."  then it shifted to the beach and I was then like "oh.... my.... god....".

I thought Arche Age was supposed to be some super high fantasy mmo not cruisin china racing.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

I started watching the video and was thinking "what's wrong with this? just some mounts..."  then it shifted to the beach and I was then like "oh.... my.... god....".

I thought Arche Age was supposed to be some super high fantasy mmo not cruisin china racing.

lol I did the same thing. All I could think was "they are just fantasy animals".

Until the "rock" started.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Care I do not, try the game I will.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by MortisRex
    Originally posted by SelfDestructPro

It's official, Arche Age has been ruined.  After so long of waiting and however long I was still going to have to wait beyond this post, I no longer have to wait.

This is what finally did it for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMyEOF51hLM

WoW has rocket ships, race cars, helicopters, dirigibles, aircraft carriers, transporter technology (from "star trek"), pod racers (from "star wars"), steamboats, mecha chickens, mech horses, reaper bots, steam tanks, steam catapults, steam rams, etc, etc. I'm sure Arche Age is hoping to be "officially ruined" like WoW.

I think the key word, that you yourself repeated, was "Steam".  As to the rest, I dunno.  Don't play that game.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by gatheris

hopefully this is an elaborate joke

if not, then pretty disappointing

and who cares what WOW has

its another of those laughable excuses, doesnt matter how daft an idea is, or how badly implemented, if something else did something equally as daft, then thats okay, its not their fault, its somebody elses.

And yeah, at first i thought it was some kind of elaborate hoax, somebody knocking together a piece of machinima to spoof people with, but, apparently not, they have really done this. I guess the question is, what else do they have in the works, and is it just as daft as their latest faux pas.image

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

I can tell you there are more than 3 people in this thread. That's the only hint I'm giving you. Now you'll have to find the rest of the clues on your own. Are you up for the super sleuth challenge? Good luck junior detective!

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342

What baffles me is that this was known a lot longer and the outrage was also the same back then. People really just found this out?

I still don't find it overly concerning. I'll see how the whole game will turn out. Used of seeing such items in MMO's. Even WoW has them and that's supposed to be a western game no? :p

It would have been different if they claimed to be a Medieval mmo but it's fantasy so I can't see why they can't have this in, even when I'm not a fan of it.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Wow, blown away at how many people expect a fantasy game to be rooted in reality. As if this game being steampunkish was a secret.
  • thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Isn't this the game with the in-game disco/nightclub?  I recall a video floating around a few months ago featuring that.  Anyway, if all it takes are a couple of cars to ruin the game, it's probably for the best that it's happened now than before any real investment was put into it.  If that's the case, I can virtually guarantee that there will be many other relatively inconsequential factors that are just as likely to ruin the game once we get our hands on it.
    Originally posted by MortisRex

I can tell you there are more than 3 people in this thread. That's the only hint I'm giving you. Now you'll have to find the rest of the clues on your own. Are you up for the super sleuth challenge? Good luck junior detective!

I personally don't care what WoW has. I've hated that game since day one. I just find humor in people saying this game will fail because of some stupid cars, when WoW had similiar technological inconsistencies and is the most successful MMO of all time...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by tofke

What baffles me is that this was known a lot longer and the outrage was also the same back then. People really just found this out?

I still don't find it overly concerning. I'll see how the whole game will turn out. Used of seeing such items in MMO's. Even WoW has them and that's supposed to be a western game no? :p

It would have been different if they claimed to be a Medieval mmo but it's fantasy so I can't see why they can't have this in, even when I'm not a fan of it.

nah, there were people who insisted that there weren't cars in the game as they had played it/were playing it and that it was something that was introduced and then thrown out.

Others indicated that if there were cars no one would know what in what capacity they would be used.

And others insisted it was steam punk therefore it was ok and to be expected.

If this game is truly "steam punk" then it's put together in a way I feel is sloppy.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

nah, there were people who insisted that there weren't cars in the game as they had played it/were playing it and that it was something that was introduced and then thrown out.

Others indicated that if there were cars no one would know what in what capacity they would be used.

And others insisted it was steam punk therefore it was ok and to be expected.

If this game is truly "steam punk" then it's put together in a way I feel is sloppy.

I saw a beta video months ago that had a car in it.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Now instead of a bunch of Legolasss, we'll get a bunch of snoooopdogz.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by dinams
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Already have a few of my universal guilds reconsidering putting this on their game list.  Guess I'll just have to see what the votes say, as those who were supposed to lead that division are the ones now leading the rejection process.  Kind've pressing the pedal too soon, I'd say, since we don't really have more information on these things that -- for all intents and purposes -- shouldn't be present for the sake of the world's presumed immersion.

Holy shit we already on the level of having universal guilds?

We found aliens?

sorry couldnt resist

Anyway, yeah the cars look goofy, but then its common asian procedure

You're thinking of universe as opposed to the term "universal".  :P

Though yes, I know that was probably the joke.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

But I thought he drove a buss to transport all his 'lady friends' :p

Originally posted by Dauzqul

But I thought he drove a buss to transport all his 'lady friends' :p

The more I read these threads the more of a problem I have with cars in this game.  xD

Granted I had the opportunity to play it a while back for a few hours thanks to a friend and decided the game wasn't for me back then.  Though only being able to read some of the text (been so long since I've studied language) was probably a deciding factor in that.  Still have my hopes on EQ Next to provide a nice fantasy sandbox game.

:)

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

At first I was all like, "It's a high magic fantasy epic, why are people getting bent out of shape?" Then I was all like, "Is that even the same game?" Finally I was all like, "Heh, that guy can't drive."

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    Originally posted by SelfDestructPro

It's official, Arche Age has been ruined.  After so long of waiting and however long I was still going to have to wait beyond this post, I no longer have to wait.

This is what finally did it for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMyEOF51hLM

You don't like horses? J/K image

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    And those cars will cost 45$ in the cash shop because the game will be just another asian trash f2p failure.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Whats next my horse beat your car in a race...Unless your car has a 3 horse power engine...lol

I retired retroactively..Haha

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by wordiz
    Wow, blown away at how many people expect a fantasy game to be rooted in reality. As if this game being steampunkish was a secret.

The people that scratch their head as to why no AAA devs make a sandbox-focused MMO should print this thread out and nail it to their wall.  Not only is there little or no agreement among the sandbox crowd as to what may constitute a good sandbox game, the minute something is introduced that a sandbox fan doesn't like, they reject the game almost in its entirety as a result of it. It's a crowd so fickle and polarized that it's almost pointless to try developing a new game for them.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

uh yes cars broke it.

they are able to produce machines to fly with. but cars don't fit?

maybe you are not in the target audience after all then....

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by wordiz

The people that scratch their head as to why no AAA devs make a sandbox-focused MMO should print this thread out and nail it to their wall.  Not only is there little or no agreement among the sandbox crowd as to what may constitute a good sandbox game, the minute something is introduced that a sandbox fan doesn't like, they reject the game almost in its entirety as a result of it. It's a crowd so fickle and polarized that it's almost pointless to try developing a new game for them.

Though you can't really blame a lot of them.  The word "Sandbox" has been used quite often lately just to sell games, and to date I've yet to see a Sandbox since Ultima Online / SWG / Eve and a few lesser ones that didn't have the money behind it to make them really shine.  Then there are people who don't work on a project that perpetuate the notion of Sandbox to describe their game.

In truth it's gamers in general that do this.  If you see Themeparks that come out and try a new thing, they get torn a new one.  Then if it's "more of the same", then they still get ripped into.  At least when it comes to Sandboxes, most have a right to be angry when a game that claims to be Sandbox isn't.  Though it is true that many have different viewpoints on what makes a sandbox a sandbox.

I've read some people claim WoW is the ultimate sandbox simply because of the world PvP.  Which makes me wonder if these people have played a real Sandbox game in their life; many who say they want sandboxes may not even know what constitutes such as most MMORPG players entered with World of Warcraft before MMOs were "mainstream" (in that most never got funded because they weren't all that popular).  

Honestly I think most are just waiting for another UO when it comes to fantasy Sandboxes.  Then you have to consider the PvE sandbox crowd and the PvP and mix/match them with different servers or zones that allow specific behavior.  After than you have to look at the world you created and the setting you've advertised and see if something is out of place for the crowd that enjoys immersion (true for Themepark or Sandbox).  These are just fundamental things when constructing a MMORPG and not Sandbox exclusive.  In these stages you are prone to lose customers, but not analyzing them you will likely lose much more.

Then again, why can't we just play a game like it's a game and have fun without worrying about things?  Why does one small detail deter a large group of people?  To many these are living and breathing worlds of sorts.  Immersion is very important as such.  There has to be context for something to exist; in a space like game with technology you would expect star ships of sorts.  In addition MMOs tend to cost more for the player, so it's held in higher regard.  There was a quote on these forums a few hours ago in that "the fool easily relinquished his money" or some such.  Many want that elusive "perfect" game before they are willing to pay a monthly fee (I.E. "is this game worth a monthly fee?|  That we see around the forums at times).  The more money a genre asks, the more stingy people become and expect from it.