Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Arche Age Officially Ruined

Comments

• gatherisgatheris Charlotte, MIPosts: 996Member Uncommon

hopefully this is an elaborate joke

if not, then pretty disappointing

and who cares what WOW has

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi LONDONPosts: 661Member Uncommon

Player A: Running around with a 150% speed horse, all happy.

Player B: Bought a car at the cash shop and now speeds around in 300% speed.

This game will succeed!

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Vista, CAPosts: 650Member Uncommon

I started watching the video and was thinking "what's wrong with this? just some mounts..."  then it shifted to the beach and I was then like "oh.... my.... god....".

I thought Arche Age was supposed to be some super high fantasy mmo not cruisin china racing.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,462Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

I started watching the video and was thinking "what's wrong with this? just some mounts..."  then it shifted to the beach and I was then like "oh.... my.... god....".

I thought Arche Age was supposed to be some super high fantasy mmo not cruisin china racing.

lol I did the same thing. All I could think was "they are just fantasy animals".

Until the "rock" started.

• DihoruDihoru ConstantaPosts: 2,731Member
    Care I do not, try the game I will.

• AcidonAcidon Salem, ORPosts: 797Member
    Originally posted by MortisRex
    Originally posted by SelfDestructPro

It's official, Arche Age has been ruined.  After so long of waiting and however long I was still going to have to wait beyond this post, I no longer have to wait.

This is what finally did it for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMyEOF51hLM

WoW has rocket ships, race cars, helicopters, dirigibles, aircraft carriers, transporter technology (from "star trek"), pod racers (from "star wars"), steamboats, mecha chickens, mech horses, reaper bots, steam tanks, steam catapults, steam rams, etc, etc. I'm sure Arche Age is hoping to be "officially ruined" like WoW.

I think the key word, that you yourself repeated, was "Steam".  As to the rest, I dunno.  Don't play that game.

Playing: H1Z1, The Crew, Defiance, APB:Reloaded
    Mourning: World of Darkness, Vanguard, City of Heroes

My Humble MMO Blog:
    http://mmogasm.blogspot.com

Free, Clean & Safe Quality of Life Software:
    http://www.acidonsolutions.com

• PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member

It must be a culture thing. Some Korean movies are that way in the sense that they careen from mood say tragedy, then maudlin sentiment, then totally incongruous comedy, then horror, then back to drama, all in the same movie. It can be disconcerting. Not all Korean movies are like this, but I've seen a fair few that are.

That's not in any way to put down Korean movies. Hollywood movies have their own problems, too. I'm just trying to say that, as others have written here, it's probably a culture thing. It's  not the same as what WoW does, to me, because WoW is cartoony. It's a fair argument to compare WoW though, and I do feel like the whole Goblin thing up in Azshara was a bit jarring. But WoW has, by today's MMO standards, wildly different races: Tauren, Undead, Troll, Dranei, etc. AA has (except for the cat like people) more Anime artstyle and more realistic graphics. 

I'm just feeling disturbed by this. It's not a big deal, but I have just lost my interest in AA. I was willing to overlook the artstyle for the gameplay, but this car thing makes it just not for me. I'm not saying AA is or will be a bad game. Just not what I'm looking for.

• PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,297Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by gatheris

hopefully this is an elaborate joke

if not, then pretty disappointing

its another of those laughable excuses, doesnt matter how daft an idea is, or how badly implemented, if something else did something equally as daft, then thats okay, its not their fault, its somebody elses.

And yeah, at first i thought it was some kind of elaborate hoax, somebody knocking together a piece of machinima to spoof people with, but, apparently not, they have really done this. I guess the question is, what else do they have in the works, and is it just as daft as their latest faux pas.image

• MortisRexMortisRex Columbia, TNPosts: 348Member Common

I can tell you there are more than 3 people in this thread. That's the only hint I'm giving you. Now you'll have to find the rest of the clues on your own. Are you up for the super sleuth challenge? Good luck junior detective!

• TofkeTofke GeelPosts: 216Member Common

What baffles me is that this was known a lot longer and the outrage was also the same back then. People really just found this out?

I still don't find it overly concerning. I'll see how the whole game will turn out. Used of seeing such items in MMO's. Even WoW has them and that's supposed to be a western game no? :p

It would have been different if they claimed to be a Medieval mmo but it's fantasy so I can't see why they can't have this in, even when I'm not a fan of it.

• wordizwordiz Eugene, ORPosts: 464Member
    Wow, blown away at how many people expect a fantasy game to be rooted in reality. As if this game being steampunkish was a secret.
  • thecapitainethecapitaine West Chester, PAPosts: 401Member Uncommon
    Isn't this the game with the in-game disco/nightclub?  I recall a video floating around a few months ago featuring that.  Anyway, if all it takes are a couple of cars to ruin the game, it's probably for the best that it's happened now than before any real investment was put into it.  If that's the case, I can virtually guarantee that there will be many other relatively inconsequential factors that are just as likely to ruin the game once we get our hands on it.
    Originally posted by MortisRex

I can tell you there are more than 3 people in this thread. That's the only hint I'm giving you. Now you'll have to find the rest of the clues on your own. Are you up for the super sleuth challenge? Good luck junior detective!

I personally don't care what WoW has. I've hated that game since day one. I just find humor in people saying this game will fail because of some stupid cars, when WoW had similiar technological inconsistencies and is the most successful MMO of all time...

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,462Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tofke

What baffles me is that this was known a lot longer and the outrage was also the same back then. People really just found this out?

I still don't find it overly concerning. I'll see how the whole game will turn out. Used of seeing such items in MMO's. Even WoW has them and that's supposed to be a western game no? :p

It would have been different if they claimed to be a Medieval mmo but it's fantasy so I can't see why they can't have this in, even when I'm not a fan of it.

nah, there were people who insisted that there weren't cars in the game as they had played it/were playing it and that it was something that was introduced and then thrown out.

Others indicated that if there were cars no one would know what in what capacity they would be used.

And others insisted it was steam punk therefore it was ok and to be expected.

If this game is truly "steam punk" then it's put together in a way I feel is sloppy.

Originally posted by Sovrath

nah, there were people who insisted that there weren't cars in the game as they had played it/were playing it and that it was something that was introduced and then thrown out.

Others indicated that if there were cars no one would know what in what capacity they would be used.

And others insisted it was steam punk therefore it was ok and to be expected.

If this game is truly "steam punk" then it's put together in a way I feel is sloppy.

I saw a beta video months ago that had a car in it.

• DauzqulDauzqul Detroit, MIPosts: 1,411Member Uncommon
    Now instead of a bunch of Legolasss, we'll get a bunch of snoooopdogz.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Ul''dah, CAPosts: 1,544Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by dinams
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Already have a few of my universal guilds reconsidering putting this on their game list.  Guess I'll just have to see what the votes say, as those who were supposed to lead that division are the ones now leading the rejection process.  Kind've pressing the pedal too soon, I'd say, since we don't really have more information on these things that -- for all intents and purposes -- shouldn't be present for the sake of the world's presumed immersion.

Holy shit we already on the level of having universal guilds?

We found aliens?

sorry couldnt resist

Anyway, yeah the cars look goofy, but then its common asian procedure

You're thinking of universe as opposed to the term "universal".  :P

Though yes, I know that was probably the joke.

When faced with strife or discontent, the true nature of a man is brought forth. It is then when we see the character of the individual. It is then we are able to tell if he is mature enough to grin and bare it, or subject his fellow man to his complaints and woes.

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,575Member Uncommon

Cars have been in for a while, if this ruins it for anybody they are not getting why AA is so awesome to begin with - gameplay.

One feature does not make up or ruin a game for me.

To each his own.

• TofkeTofke GeelPosts: 216Member Common
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

But I thought he drove a buss to transport all his 'lady friends' :p

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Ul''dah, CAPosts: 1,544Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

But I thought he drove a buss to transport all his 'lady friends' :p

The more I read these threads the more of a problem I have with cars in this game.  xD

Granted I had the opportunity to play it a while back for a few hours thanks to a friend and decided the game wasn't for me back then.  Though only being able to read some of the text (been so long since I've studied language) was probably a deciding factor in that.  Still have my hopes on EQ Next to provide a nice fantasy sandbox game.

:)

When faced with strife or discontent, the true nature of a man is brought forth. It is then when we see the character of the individual. It is then we are able to tell if he is mature enough to grin and bare it, or subject his fellow man to his complaints and woes.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

At first I was all like, "It's a high magic fantasy epic, why are people getting bent out of shape?" Then I was all like, "Is that even the same game?" Finally I was all like, "Heh, that guy can't drive."

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Philadelphia, PAPosts: 1,739Member Uncommon
    It looks like they got their fun hulks.
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Cambridgeshire, UKPosts: 657Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SelfDestructPro

It's official, Arche Age has been ruined.  After so long of waiting and however long I was still going to have to wait beyond this post, I no longer have to wait.

This is what finally did it for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMyEOF51hLM

You don't like horses? J/K image

• ZadawnZadawn SPosts: 651Member Common
    And those cars will cost 45$ in the cash shop because the game will be just another asian trash f2p failure.

• PopplePopple Utica, NYPosts: 167Member
    Whats next my horse beat your car in a race...Unless your car has a 3 horse power engine...lol

I retired retroactively..Haha