Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Video - items, crafting, fishing etc.

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by keithian

Thanks for the post.

I saw today on another site some leaked info Q&A and it appears the game's beta is going very well and quite a different experience from that leaked video from a few weeks ago. After reading it I felt A WHOLE LOT better. :-)

After watching the video, I loved the graphics, so thats good. It doesn't look like Sponge Bob like Wild Star where everyone is getting excited about a monkey throwing bananas. I like that he picked things up off the table, fishing, little things that bring in immersion. I'm still waiting to see if the NPCs are not just standing around and the world feels full of life like Skyrim even though I know it will never replicate a single player experience.

I'm wonder what happens when someone takes something off a table with thousands running around. Will it re-appear for someone else?

Thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't checked that other site in a couple of weeks. Awesome write-up there with lots of detail.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by colddog04
    So... are they using phasing for all the little boxes and things you can loot?

Thats the same type of question I asked. I'll be curious how that is handled in an MMO.

i imagine pretty similar to how it is in gw2.   all the resource nodes and chests are phased in that game.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Thanks for the post.

I saw today on another site some leaked info Q&A and it appears the game's beta is going very well and quite a different experience from that leaked video from a few weeks ago. After reading it I felt A WHOLE LOT better. :-)

thanks! i just went and read that. :)

either that person who wrote that is really biased or the game sounds like its going to be pretty bad ass, i hope its the latter.

• IV_TalekIV_Talek Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

Thanks for the post.

After watching the video, I loved the graphics, so thats good. It doesn't look like Sponge Bob like Wild Star where everyone is getting excited about a monkey throwing bananas. I like that he picked things up off the table, fishing, little things that bring in immersion. I'm still waiting to see if the NPCs are not just standing around and the world feels full of life like Skyrim even though I know it will never replicate a single player experience.

I'm wonder what happens when someone takes something off a table with thousands running around. Will it re-appear for someone else?

Feel the same way with Wildstar.  The game would be a thousand times more hypeable with non-cartooney graphics.

Totally agree, though from this site's hype meter we are not the majority though for the life of me I still can't understand why people would prefer that art style when there was equal disdain for any kind of cartoonish artistry for SWTOR even though that game to me at least is a little less cartoony than WOW and Wildstar. Elder Scrolls is much more up my alley preference wise.

Not everyone looks only for graphics, Wildstar has great mmo features while TESO will be just another SWTOR-like story based game with players around you, it will be fun to level up and going through story but after 2 months everyone leave because there is no interesting MMO features (that alliance zerg PvP will fail like WvWvW in GW2 and they don't wanna do other pvp stuff so every single PvP player will leave that game), i personaly buy TESO only if it will be B2P, because for me it could be single player or co-op game and i don't wanna pay subscription for single player game.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    This is one game I think I will end up playing a sword and board role.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    God I hope this game delivers. Bethesda don't fail me now! (Yeah, I know it's Zenimax. Same difference.)
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by azarhal
    Originally posted by colddog04
    So... are they using phasing for all the little boxes and things you can loot?

Thats the same type of question I asked. I'll be curious how that is handled in an MMO.

In GW2, all the material nodes are instanced by player. When you chop down a tree it disappear, but you can see other players chopping theirs down. Basically, it works exactly like in other MMOs, except that everyone get to interact with the object and not just the "first come, first served" one.

As in all themeparks these days all get the node or item, the who come first gets all is long gone or all would RAGEQUIT and whine erternally on forums how game suck so devs these days make the game in ezmode thats magic these days in themeparks.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by wordiz
    God I hope this game delivers. Bethesda don't fail me now! (Yeah, I know it's Zenimax. Same difference.)

Not the same most are different developers then bethesda elderscroll developers.

Im very steady on fence for this one i don't think they can deliver its afterall a themepark which is not on par with real elder scrolls games.

But for you themepark fans it prolly will.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Not the same most are different developers then bethesda elderscroll developers.

Im very steady on fence for this one i don't think they can deliver its afterall a themepark which is not on par with real elder scrolls games.

But for you themepark fans it prolly will.

TES games ARE themepark games. If Zenimax decided to make a sandbox TES MMO, then that wouldn't be on par with 'real' TES games.

I've discussed that to death in other topics anyway.

Loving the look of the game with every little bit of info they release. Looting will probably be instanced, which probably makes the most sense.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Not much info but looks good. Looking forward to getting more information, video, hands on impressions and ultimately hands on so see what it looks like. Still have concerns but this update is promising.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    If leveling is too fast people will complain and if leveling is too long people will complain. One thing is for certain,people will complain!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well as short as it was,i enjoyed it and approve of the stuff i saw in there.

The only idea that looked off was the gaining of skills through some interaction wit ha light source of some kind.Unless an idea really has some depth and some fun and unique idea,i rather just see the aged old ,level up by doing the crafts.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Thanks for the link, Iselin! That was a good one :)

I really liked the animations (the guy mixing in his bowl). Looks very interesting :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305

Crafting looks interesting but thats not what has me worried about this game.

The one thing that will make or brake this game in my opinion is Cyrodiil.  If the PvP is not meaningful, and the PvE objectives in the area do not have major incentives to be done for your faction then I think the game will not do well.  Like others have said it will be another case of SWOTOR where the leveling up process was fun but the end sucked.  (Yes I know you can enter Cyrodiil before level cap)

It brings many issues for expanding the game as well.  They claim that there is a lot of PvE content, but lets get real their focus is RvR and Cryodiil.  Even the PvE in there is 'suppose' to help your faction as a whole turning even the PvEr into a PvPer.  As such the majority of every faction is going to need to be funneled inside Cyrodiil but not feel as if they are being forced there.

Next is any content updates that create new zones besides Cryodiil.  Every new zone will remove players from Cryodiil causing it to not function as well because there are not enough players in the zone.

They have put them selves in a very tight spot, I have no idea how they are going to manage it but I am hopeful but won't be surprised if they fail.

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

Hmm I am really on the fence with this game. There is so little solid info or videos that its hard to really see what your getting at this stage. This particular video certainly peaks my interest. I really do appreciate the lock mechanic and the idea that there is so much lore and little loot items throughout.  This appeals to my collectors side to be sure.

I really want to see more on the combat in  ESO though. This as well as the skill system could make or break it for me. I was one of those disappointed when this game was first announced. The downfall and failure of SWTOR really put a damper on my future excitement for MMO titles.

Perhaps ESO might be redeeming. Time will tell.

Originally posted by immodium
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower Originally posted by wordiz God I hope this game delivers. Bethesda don't fail me now! (Yeah, I know it's Zenimax. Same difference.)
    Not the same most are different developers then bethesda elderscroll developers. Im very steady on fence for this one i don't think they can deliver its afterall a themepark which is not on par with real elder scrolls games. But for you themepark fans it prolly will.
    TES games ARE themepark games. If Zenimax decided to make a sandbox TES MMO, then that wouldn't be on par with 'real' TES games.

Loving the look of the game with every little bit of info they release. Looting will probably be instanced, which probably makes the most sense.

exactly, its exhausting trying to explain that over and over to delusional people who think TES are sandbox games.

Originally posted by Talezeusz
    Originally posted by keithian Originally posted by ZedTheRock Originally posted by keithian Thanks for the post. I saw today on another site some leaked info Q&A and it appears the game's beta is going very well and quite a different experience from that leaked video from a few weeks ago. After reading it I felt A WHOLE LOT better. :-) After watching the video, I loved the graphics, so thats good. It doesn't look like Sponge Bob like Wild Star where everyone is getting excited about a monkey throwing bananas. I like that he picked things up off the table, fishing, little things that bring in immersion. I'm still waiting to see if the NPCs are not just standing around and the world feels full of life like Skyrim even though I know it will never replicate a single player experience. I'm wonder what happens when someone takes something off a table with thousands running around. Will it re-appear for someone else?    
    Feel the same way with Wildstar.  The game would be a thousand times more hypeable with non-cartooney graphics.
    Totally agree, though from this site's hype meter we are not the majority though for the life of me I still can't understand why people would prefer that art style when there was equal disdain for any kind of cartoonish artistry for SWTOR even though that game to me at least is a little less cartoony than WOW and Wildstar. Elder Scrolls is much more up my alley preference wise.

Not everyone looks only for graphics, Wildstar has great mmo features while TESO will be just another SWTOR-like story based game with players around you, it will be fun to level up and going through story but after 2 months everyone leave because there is no interesting MMO features (that alliance zerg PvP will fail like WvWvW in GW2 and they don't wanna do other pvp stuff so every single PvP player will leave that game), i personaly buy TESO only if it will be B2P, because for me it could be single player or co-op game and i don't wanna pay subscription for single player game.

i know what you are saying but cartoon graphics like that really turn me off.

just having certain features is not enough for me, there are plenty of mmo's out there with sandbox type features that nobody gives a shit about that don't have cheesy cartoon graphics, why would wildstar be any different?

no thanks, i will wait for EQnext rather than play that cheese just because it has some features i like.

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    For me the this game keeps getting better and better.  Still hoping for this game to be the next big thing. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    looks pretty cool. I hope skyshards are not just like skill challenges.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176

If they are putting so mcuh stock in the little things then I dare say the major things will be even more robust.  I mean you just dont spend al lthe time in the world making an interactive world which is similar to the single player series and not put much effort in to the major things.  Color me what you will, but I have faith this is "the game".

SUP

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by immodium

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Originally posted by wordiz God I hope this game delivers. Bethesda don't fail me now! (Yeah, I know it's Zenimax. Same difference.)
    Not the same most are different developers then bethesda elderscroll developers. Im very steady on fence for this one i don't think they can deliver its afterall a themepark which is not on par with real elder scrolls games. But for you themepark fans it prolly will.

exactly, its exhausting trying to explain that over and over to delusional people who think TES are sandbox games.

I dont call TES games sandbox but they are definitely not a themepark.  TES games exhibit many features of both and as such I have always considered them a hybrid, although mostly themepark I'll agree, but what sandbox features they do contain, are the ones people enjoy the most.  Things like open ended worlds, open ended class systems, and crafting centric loot enchancement are all very sandboxxy.

SUP

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'm a pvper

Got far more interest in TESO than Wildstar with its wow clone pvp.

Lol at pvpers all quoting TESO (or indeed gw2) to go play Wildstar.

Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by immodium Originally posted by GroovyFlower Originally posted by wordiz God I hope this game delivers. Bethesda don't fail me now! (Yeah, I know it's Zenimax. Same difference.)
    TES games ARE themepark games. If Zenimax decided to make a sandbox TES MMO, then that wouldn't be on par with 'real' TES games.   I've discussed that to death in other topics anyway.   Loving the look of the game with every little bit of info they release. Looting will probably be instanced, which probably makes the most sense.  
    I dont call TES games sandbox but they are definitely not a themepark.  TES games exhibit many features of both and as such I have always considered them a hybrid, although mostly themepark I'll agree, but what sandbox features they do contain, are the ones people enjoy the most.  Things like open ended worlds, open ended class systems, and crafting centric loot enchancement are all very sandboxxy.

you cant build much in a ES game, sandbox games allow the player to create content and ES does not do that other than housing (in an expansion or mod) and gear crafting, which is a feature themepark games have as well.

the fact that ES is quest centric makes it not a sandbox as well.

but, i do see what you are saying about freedom, i just don't agree that is exclusive to sandbox games.

TESO will have a lot of freedom in character customization as well, but its still very much a themepark.

that's the way i see it at least.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Talezeusz

Thanks for the post.

I disagree and I think you just described Wildstar, not ESO. Everything in Wildstar is exactly the same as what we have seen before. From the beta comments unlike ESO it has the same fetch X, delivery Y quests. For kids thats fine, but once people get into that game and realize like Aion and Warhammer it was a bunch of hype they will wonder why they left WOW. It will be just like the last several releases where everyone ignores the actual quest with the RPG part of MMORPG really missing. Thats fine with me, let the kiddies stay in WildStar and WOW while a hopefully healthy population stays in ESO.

As far as graphics, of course it isn't the most important thing, but in 2013 I want next gen graphics not Hero Engine cartoon  graphics that my 10 year old computer can run on the highest settings. I mean, its a virtual world, I want it to feel like a virtual world, not Snoopy.

There Is Always Hope!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Sandbox...themepark. I don't really understand why people are so obsessed with pigeonholing every MMO into 2 categories as if those were the only 2 choices and as if it mattered.

It's as if labeling an MMO with one or the other keeps you from having to think intelligently about the many complex systems that go into making an MMO and how they work together.

For example... ESO has a very unique character advancement system that I haven't seen before in any MMO. You level your Class skills along 3 paths and modify ("morph" they call it) them as they level by changing some of their effects. You also level armor skills and weapon skills--as many different ones as you want to do--depending on how often you use them. And if that wasn't enough you also level guild skills for any and all of the mage, warrior or thieve's guilds...that's, by my count, 6 different skill paths that are all leveling, through use, independently and simultaneously... actually many more than that if you choose to use different weapon/armor combos.

But let's not talk about that. Let's instead stick ESO in the themepark category so we don't have to think too much. And let's just forget that they're creating a leveling system--which happens to be the core features of any RPG game--that is unique and no one has done before.

It's just an MMO set in a familiar universe with some very unique features. I could give less of a shit whether someone wants to label it a themepark. What it will actually be is a lot of fun or a waste of time and we won't know for sure until we're in there checking it out for ourselves. I don't have a personal stake in proving that sandboxes or themeparks are superiror... I just want to play a good MMO that holds my interest because it's fun.

And btw...which MMO release of the past 5 years has been successful at attracting a lot of gamers and retaining most of them? I can only think of one, GW2, a B2P "themepark" with some new ideas. And that says a lot more about our playing habits and attention span in these times where we have 100+ choices instead of 4 or 5, than it does about the quality or "themeparkiness" of the games.

Going by those statistics all new MMOs Fail with a capital "F." But we're all a bunch of dreamers who think that we know exactly why MMO "x" or MMO "y" failed ( we really don't, you know) and why the new shiny one that interests us and is doing the "z" MMO version is going to buck the trend and keep us happy for 1+ years...dream on.

MMO success is not any longer whether they keep and grow subs for 10 years--that just doesn't happen any more with all the other releases that distract us and pull us away. Success in the MMO business is just as simple as "did we recover our cost and is it profitable enough on an ongoing basis to bother?" And the success rate seems to be close to 100% since very few ever shut down completely.

So,  to end my rant on a positive note. Yes, ESO will be a success... you heard it here first.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED