Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will WildStar be the next Big MMO?

Comments

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

I have to admit, I originally wrote off Wildstar.  Trailers are cute n love the humor but thought it would just be another themepark MMO on rails.  Lately I've been getting really excited for Wildstar and looking forward to see how it turns out.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

Was Warhammer the next big MMO? 

How about Aion? 

Tera?

Hmmm... SWTOR? 

Maybe GW2? 

FFXIV 1.0? 

What about Rift? 

I'm going to go with no, it won't be "the next big thing" which is totally fine. It can still be a good game. 

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    WildStar won't be the next big MMO. Tabula Rasa will be.
  • ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Wildstar appears to be the next big MMO for veteran players.  With Rift going F2P there is no place left veteran players and raiders.  The only progression raiding games left with with regular new updated content were WoW, EQ2 and Rift.  WoW went casual a long time ago and lost all challenge and now Rift seems to be going that way with the exodus of the hardcore players and hardcore guilds. I can't say the status of present EQ2 raiding but I imagine most hardcore guilds left a long time ago. Basically leaving Wildstar as the only hope for the veteran players, the hardcore and raiders.  We are living in a world of casual easy mode games made for ultra casual players who want everything handed to them with no challenge, thought or effort.  Wildstar may be our last hope or it may be the last attempt at making a game with substance before the MMO genre officially dies.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Looks good, but I wonder if there will be a next Big MMO. Maybe the days of long lasting appeal for new MMO's are over.
  • MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Nope will just get in line with the other 10 mmos that came out the last 2 years.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

The next big thing will need to be dramatically different or offer something we havent seen before. WoW did it by making MMOs casual and easy to get into.  Wildstar doesnt really offer anything new other than a home for disgruntled WoW players. It will take a piece of the pie like SWTOR did, but it will not be the next big thing.  

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by evilastro

The next big thing will need to be dramatically different or offer something we havent seen before. WoW did it by making MMOs casual and easy to get into.  Wildstar doesnt really offer anything new other than a home for disgruntled WoW players. It will take a piece of the pie like SWTOR did, but it will not be the next big thing.  

Except "dramatically different" fails all the time. Look at sliced bread and Tivo as 2 great examples that failed dramatically until they were later revived. Yet you have pop sensation like Bieber who ARE the next big thing due mostly to marketing.

• SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217

Besides,

do we really want another 10  years of stagnation?

• AeonZenAeonZen Member Posts: 43

Their videos are pretty funny. 

Sooo many games... can't decide.  I should just play some Streets of Rage 3.
  • ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Yes.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

the next big MMO is called Titan .

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Yup , this game will be the next big mmo.

Just like SWTOR, War, Aion, TSW, FF14

NO reason not to think this wont be HUGE!!!  soo many other examples of other games where everyone thought the same thing.

.....  SARCASM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• DiathonDiathon Member Posts: 18

It depends on how well it caters to the vocal minority and keeps people excited as they play. Ads are alright, but most of the games I have spent years playing were recommended by friends, played by friends, and created new friendships as I played them.

There's nothing more important for long-term retention than getting people excited and wanting to tell other people about it. If a game is "meh" I'm not going to push people I know to play it. I'm probably not going to stay long myself because people I know aren't playing it. I would be sorely disappointed if someone I knew was playing it, I joined, and they left shortly after because it was "meh".

Making a game for social gamers and those who are outspoken in various forms of media will bring in (and keep) more people than 24/7 ads on a television channel.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Originally posted by mikuniman
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Originally posted by mikuniman
    I thought this was geared towards children.

You haven't watched the trailers.  The tone is actually pretty suggestive at times.  South Park is a cartoon too but that doesn't make it for kids.

I have, thought the dialog had like the shrek undertone type yeah. still it feels like a cartoon to me.

A lot of people said this about WoW before it released, look where the game is now.  That kind of stylized cartoony art allows them to make the game playable on very low end PC's.  On top of that it ages really well, even after 8-9 years WoW still looks graphically decent. (not great, but not as bad as say AC or Vanguard)

You're comparing it to Vanguard? Vanguard beats the crap out of Borecraft easily, graphical wise. I think you either need new glasses or maybe a less Wow kid factor. I know I break rules with my bluntness at times.. Or maybe you need to actually play Vanguard without those special glasses so many of the twits talk about. :) (Sorry mods, I do try to make post semi decent).

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 422
    A game of this magnitude would have to be a subscription,  I am hoping NCSOFT lets Carbine make the decision as they seem to be in touch with the player base.  Every f2p or b2p game I've ever played for the exception of Borderlands 2 has been an epic fail in terms of staying power and depth, this game looks to have 0 of those issues.
  • PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

Yes.  Predicting this now.  WoW Raiding + Blend of WoW and GW2 Combat + 50% of development effort going to endgame content + tons of freedom = Wildstar.

Oh, and seamless zones, player combat, fluid movement and controls, alive characters and environments and all by a developmetn team, when formed in 2007 were called a who's who of developers (including 17 ex WoW devs).  

Carbine was silent form 2007 through 2011.  They were working hard, and we've only seen the beginning of what they're going to be showing off.  

Stay tuned.

I'm beginning to believe that WildStar has most everything right.  Not to mention the game is built with player housing as part of the design and not added on afterwards.  That's a huge part of game play which doesn't exist in any other Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) that I'm aware of.  Sure there are many MMORPGs which have player housing, but it was added to those games after the base game was developed.

I love the WildStar targeting system and I'm hoping they will have a /follow command as well as an /assist function.  If the game has those things, they will sell far more copies than if the game doesn't have them.

I am hoping that if they do have subscription, that they discount it instead of being greedy like other MMORPG companies started out with and ended up going free to play.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by funcon
    It kinda has the WoW look with the graphics but it does everything better than WoW. I think a lot of WoW players will move on to WildStar. And does anyone know if WildStar will be B2P or monthy fee?

Humm heard the same things about SW:Tor a little over a year ago.

To me Wildstar looks very much like a WoW clone only that its gonna be even more raid intensive. Neither appeals to me, but thats my opinion.

Anyway since you asked in your thread title my Crystal ball says no it won't be the next Big MMO if say your comparing it to WoW if your just comparing it to every other recent MMO release thats been roughly popular for 3-6months before something else comes out then yeah maybe. (ie years vs months, and no i don't play WoW anymore nor am I a WoW fan)

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Originally posted by winter
    It kinda has the WoW look with the graphics but it does everything better than WoW. I think a lot of WoW players will move on to WildStar. And does anyone know if WildStar will be B2P or monthy fee?

Humm heard the same things about SW:Tor a little over a year ago.

To me Wildstar looks very much like a WoW clone only that its gonna be even more raid intensive. Neither appeals to me, but thats my opinion.

Anyway since you asked in your thread title my Crystal ball says no it won't be the next Big MMO if say your comparing it to WoW if your just comparing it to every other recent MMO release thats been roughly popular for 3-6months before something else comes out then yeah maybe. (ie years vs months, and no i don't play WoW anymore nor am I a WoW fan)

Combat alone being action based similar to GW2 and a number of other MMOs definately makes a different mark.

It'll be interesting to see.

People always seem to think that wow was over a million players overnight.  Remember, in Vanilla and TBC (what... 2+ or 3 years?) WoW wasn't pushing the crazy numbers that they had starting in Wrath.  If their number are on par with Vanilla in the same time period.... BINGO!

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    I think the familiarity to WoW and the strong focus on end game will be an asset because it will give the large guilds the confidence to pick up and move to it.  I think the Warplots probably will intrigue the big guilds to move as well. 
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by red_cruiser
    I think the familiarity to WoW and the strong focus on end game will be an asset because it will give the large guilds the confidence to pick up and move to it.  I think the Warplots probably will intrigue the big guilds to move as well. 

I disagree. From what I'm reading on leaked beta sights, people are going to see too many of the same fetch X, delivery Y quests and be like why did I bother moving for more of the same. If it isn't FTP they won't move at all.

There Is Always Hope!

• Ladrann27Ladrann27 Member Posts: 43

I think this game definetly has the potential to be a big game with a lot of followers. It seems to do a lot of things right.

People always compare games to WoW, ofcourse there are a lot of simmilarties. I have not played WoW for longer then a month since Vanilla (i played a year in vanilla), it was a really good game back then with an awesome community, we did not need any dungeun finders or crap like that, most of the friends I made in games was looking for a group and overcoming a dungeon, quest or whatever together, without quitting after wiping once or twice.....

I remember where back in the day a big part of games was a good community, these days everything is catered to instant gratification. Maybe if they can find a good mix between having a good community and strong gameplay they can pull in a lot of players and more importantly keep them there. What always kept me playing a game was not the payment model, or any other bullshit people keep mentioning, for me it was solid gameplay and a strong community.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

I play MMOs on and off since about EQ1 and the mass of what Carbine, the developer, put as features into the game will probably make this MMO the next big title.

Yes, that is for sure. This is simply because all other games around show how lazy and uninventive the majority of developers and game designers are these days. I DO HOPE that WildStar is a waymark into the right direction, to deliver quality-gaming right back into actual player.

I don't even say I hope, because I already know. It's a gut feeling.

I pitty those, who can not yet let go off their comparisons and ruin themselves their possible next fantastic MMO experience. This seems to me like a meteor crashes infront of old, bigoted and biased scientists who simply see a rock infront of their feet, coming from their old believes and instead of seeing a new chance of finding new components which will ultimately alter the world, they are about to throw it into the garbage. I am glad that consumers are not in charge on this planet, at least not to a greater extend. It would be SO much wasted potential.

• IV_TalekIV_Talek Member UncommonPosts: 8

Wildstar will be next big MMO because have best developer team i've ever met (truly dedicated players) and you can even play with them on day off!

http://i.imgur.com/ydmcsaA.jpg

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    No it won't be the next big MMO. Competition is too much.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney