Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained: Catching up with Mark Jacobs at 2pm Today!

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Now that Camelot Unchained is funded, we're catching up with Mark Jacobs on what comes next for the ambitious RvR MMO. Tune in to our Stream Page today (5/16) at 2pm ET, 11am PT, and yes... 7pm GMT.

Feel free to put any questions you want Rob Lashley to ask Mark, right here in the comments!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Have the starting player races already been decided upon?
    Which one is most unique to camelot unchained?
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Drealgrin
    Have the starting player races already been decided upon?

That's an easy one to answer. One race per realm (at least) is being voted on by the backers on the forum and the forum isn't live yet. So no.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Ask him why he'd prefer to see his employees lose their jobs rather than consider any other payment model if subscriptions weren't sustainable.
  • morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Ask him why he'd prefer to see his employees lose their jobs rather than consider any other payment model if subscriptions weren't sustainable.

Oh and ask him why there is no pve in it too... we need a other generic pve f2p game plzzz /sarcasm off

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

Oh and ask him why there is no pve in it too... we need a other generic pve f2p game plzzz /sarcasm off

unlike the stupid add pve posts, i think the payment model is a fair question.

with a rvr game you need populated servers for it to work.  look at what killed war, too many servers at launch and not enough people on them.

• LordMatsuLordMatsu Member Posts: 12
    IGN already said  2012 is when p2p subscription models died.  I wonder how long it'll be before CU falls like the rest of them.
  • SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    Originally posted by LordMatsu
    IGN already said  2012 is when p2p subscription models died.  I wonder how long it'll be before CU falls like the rest of them.

If IGN said it, it must be true...

I suspect P2P will experience a revitalization when people realize paying the remarkably low rate of $15/month for full, unfettered access is better and often cheaper than playing a "F2P" game with content sold in a cash shop at insane prices. There are games that charge more for a hat than games that charge for a month's subscription! Is the hat needed? Probably not. But I would like to be able to obtain it through the normal course of play all the same, not by charging $25 to a credit card in order to support those who do not pay a thing. Oh, and if I want the shirt and the pants and the boots that match, now I am in for $60! I could have subscribed to a subscription game for 4 months and gotten this stuff as drops or crafted items!

That is how the whole system works. There is no free lunch... for everyone. For some there is, the ones who are cool with not having whatever the cash shop sells. But if, say, 80% of the players never spend more than $10 their entire time playing, where is all that money coming from to keep the game going and actively developed? The other 20% spending hundreds, sometimes thousands on a regular basis. The "whales," as they are called.

Any model where the few support the many, even willingly, is doomed to fail when the few eventually smarten up and stop paying outrageous amounts for trinkets so everyone can play on their dime. I want to play games where every person has contributed the same and has the same access and opportunities, not where the developer is relying on 10% of players to supply 80% of the income, or whatever the ratio is sitting these days. I often wonder who is worse - the developer who knows where the money is coming from and essentially exploits impulses like a drug dealer exploits junkies, or the players who let themselves get exploited.

I will say some games have managed to do F2P in what I would consider a fair, balanced, and ethical manner. Riot Games with League of Legends is one of the few. Most, however, are atrocities. Look at Neverwinter for a great example of the developer trying to absolutely rape the few to support the many. F2P models like that need to go.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

with a rvr game you need populated servers for it to work.  look at what killed war, too many servers at launch and not enough people on them.

I have to disagree with you on this one. WAR died because of the poor designed PvP endgame and not of the payment model. If WAR would have kept the fun from tier 1 to tier 4 ppl would have gladly payed sub fee. The thing is that it got booring quite fast after tier 3...

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69

I blows my mind how cheap people are about MMO games.  You can't afford $5-15 a month for a game you enjoy?  You prob spent a years worth of a subscription on games you didn't like that was $50+ each. 

People spend $15 just to see a freaking 2 hour movie.  If you can't pay for a subscription to a MMO, you should consider reading a book on personal finance.

The whole "I'm in college, or I'm poor" excuse does not cut it, you invested in kickstarter most of you on here,  or you also play games because you actually made a account on a gaming website.

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

• DreyderDreyder Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

I have to disagree with you on this one. WAR died because of the poor designed PvP endgame and not of the payment model. If WAR would have kept the fun from tier 1 to tier 4 ppl would have gladly payed sub fee. The thing is that it got booring quite fast after tier 3...

Agreed.

The revenue model was the last thing anyone ever brought up concerning WAR. Rough launch, bugs and server stability, RvR system logistics and bugs and class balance were all chief problems and had WAR released in the same state it was 15 months after launch it would have done amazing

The whole F2P question absolutely is a stupid question. The F2P model relies on capturing the lion's share of the market with a mass appeal game... and making money from a small percentage of those users with a cash shop.

This is niche game... focused on PvP and crafting... what possible role does a cash shop can play here and really... who would use it? Items with stats would unbalanced PvP... flare items would kill crafting.

• chobbschobbs Member Posts: 1

1.)Large maps

2.) Not only tri-realm pvp, but tri-level

To follow up Zergs, 8mans(small roaming groups), stealthers, in Daoc all 3 of these forces battled on the field at the same time. It was a multi tier battle field with 3 sides each have  3-4(solo roamers/pvers/keep(guard) humpers) sub elements on the field of battle, Zerg, Gank groups(8mans), and stealthers. I hope Unchained can offer this same level of a multi-element  ever changing battle field.  Failing to atleast meet these elements will cause the game to fail, imo

Old school pvper Daoc

These different element are what pulled the player base together as a "realm", the solo guy could spot for the zerg, the stealther could prevent the small 3 man from getting rolled by a 5 man.  The tower guard  humpers gave intel to 8mans and the zerg.  Lets keep RADAR in check this time around =) since it killed Daoc