Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hey how PvE should be done to please both PvE fans without ticking off PvP progression focus

2»

Comments

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322

Vegan restaurant owner: "Hello, welcome to The Vegan Restaurant."

PvE poster: "Hello, I have no interest in eating here, but I thought I would offer my advice on how you could make meat eaters really happy!"

Vegan restaurant owner:  "We aren't concerned with making meat eaters happy.  We are concerned with making this the best Vegan restaurant we can."

Pve poster:  "Pffft... what, so my opinions don't matter?  That's pretty elitist of you, dude!  This restaurant sucks ass because you don't sell red meat!"

Vegan restaurant owner:  "I know a website where you'd feel right at home..."

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Tumblebutz

PvE poster: "Hello, I have no interest in eating here, but I thought I would offer my advice on how you could make meat eaters really happy!"

Vegan restaurant owner:  "We aren't concerned with making meat eaters happy.  We are concerned with making this the best Vegan restaurant we can."

Pve poster:  "Pffft... what, so my opinions don't matter?  That's pretty elitist of you, dude!  This restaurant sucks ass because you don't sell red meat!"

• TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187

Hilarious!

[mod edit]

• coder1024coder1024 Member Posts: 56

Its not a PvE game; the KickStarter campaign made this very clear. If you're looking for a PvE game this isn't it.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Can't we pvpers have our game without some carebear coming along and try to change to suit their wants?
    I say no accomindations for the pve'rs. This the one game for pvp, they have WoW, Lotro, GW2, etc etc.
    Let the pve'rs have one concession, then it will open the door to even more. So no!

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    "unlike pve games with tacked on pvp, this game can't survive without tacked on pve"

Bullshit

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100588740

Talks about wow and stuff first, but jump down to the section on ps2.

A pure pvp mmo can work.

Sony have already made more money out of ps2 than the pure pve vanguard.
  • GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    "unlike pve games with tacked on pvp, this game can't survive without tacked on pve"

Bullshit

A pure pvp mmo can work.

I think leave the game the way the Dev meant it to be.

on that note. Vangaurd? Really? the game stinks from day one. That's like Comparing todays graphics to Pong.

LOL

• SchurgeSchurge Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Bullshit

A pure pvp mmo can work.

I am not sure but it looks like you are misquoting me. I said the game can't survive with tacked on PvE. It would only harm PvP and would not attract PvE subs to begin with because it would be inferior to other PvE games. Tacked on PvE would be a lose / lose situation. PvE games on the other hand can afford to tack on PvP because it causes very little harm.

Also PS2 isn't really an MMO and I am sure most of it's players are shooter fans.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Edany
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Evidently most either forgot or didn't play DAoC ... but pve in that game sucked. It was something you had to grind through in order to get to RvR and nothing more. It isn't needed if pve is done right and integrated as a functional system withing RvR. I think CU can do this better than DAoC and appears to be doing so. Pve then becomes something that can be expanded on after release as actual RvR content. It needs to be redefined or you continue to generate confusion over the subject.

I do not understanding what is meant by "ticking off PvE players". This ISN'T a PvE game.

This game may not be for you. It is up to the individual to decide. You cannot make this game into a PvE game by making endless threads. CU may not be the game for you. It may not be the game for me either. Time will tell. It IS going to be the game for many RvR lovers of those who find they like the game for what it is and that is the entire point: accept CU for what it is or move on.

Followers of the game wish to talk about what the game will be and not what the game is not. Any subject about what the game is not is trolling.

That's a matter of opinion, clearly you never played classic or you wouldn't say such things about pve in DAoC, no one was on the grind back then, it was so hard to get to 50 players were forced to experience the road rather than the destination. Admittedly classic 48-50 was tough and a bit grindy but most of the pve at the time was excellent.

Also it is not trolling to discuss players visions for CU, I think people need to remember this game is not made yet and there will definitely be changes to the model as development progresses. Most KS as with most normally funded games rarely resemble their original concept at release. One released KS funded project has less than 30% of the promised content and functionality.

There will be no faster road to career suicide than for Mark Jacobs to all of a sudden go against the Foundational Principles that garnered him so much support just to implement traditional PvE in this game. [mod edit]

The only model change I see is perhaps the payment model, and even then, I'm not so sure they won't stick to their guns. Class changes, role changes, combat style changes, CD changes, stealth changes, art style changes, story line changes... yep, all possible.

Changing the entire core and philosophy of the game? [mod edit]

You cannot rule it out, remember nothing in CU is set in stone.

You cannot simply assume that no major changes between now and launch may occur, CSE have full control over this.

It would not be the first game to change direction mid-development. Adding limited pve would not be changing the core philosophy of the game, it would simply be bending it a little.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Schurge

Sorry thought you were a add pve advocate. In that case I agree with you tacked on pve would be pointless.

As for ps2, it is a mmo. In fact to me its more of a mmo than these modern solo orientated instance fests like swtor, tsw, Neverwinter etc.. how many modern games are there where you can share a zone with 2000 players. It has a persistent world. It has a progression system. It's getting crafting. The only thing it doesn't have is pve (which single player games do better than mmos anyway)

As a daoc fan, I find ps2 gives me more of a rvr kick than gw2, war or aion.
    Oh to add, my guild moved from war to gw2 then to ps2. We didn't come to ps2 VIA cod or whatever.
  • TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322

[mod edit]

Whether this game will work or not is a silly debate.  Only time will tell.  But the larger point is that, even if the game fails, it will fail on the merits of its foundational principles, not on some half-assed mish mosh of tacked on game pieces which try to appease an audience for which the game was never intended.

I would rather see the game enjoy marginal success by staying true to its FP, than rival WoW by prostituting itself to the masses, like every other recently released game has done.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• MajiinXMajiinX Member CommonPosts: 89

To Zinzan and the other trolls...

Whether this game will work or not is a silly debate.  Only time will tell.  But the larger point is that, even if the game fails, it will fail on the merits of its foundational principles, not on some half-assed mish mosh of tacked on game pieces which try to appease an audience for which the game was never intended.

I would rather see the game enjoy marginal success by staying true to its FP, than rival WoW by prostituting itself to the masses, like every other recently released game has done.

Well said!  PvErs keep using the argument of "PvPers complain about the PvP system in PvE centric games" Its obviously because PvP is something that is in very high demand so much that no Triple A MMO will launch without it and almost every MMO out there has been forced to add it if they didn't already.  If people want RvR but also want PvE as well then why not just forget about CSU and just play ESO. As stated by other posters if they added PvE just to appease people its not going to be very high quality similar to PvE games that add PvP just to appease the masses its not going to have the same structure and focus as a game that is build around that experience of the game.

According to sonys march report, planetside 2 has 1.6 million accounts and 750,000 unique logins per week.

That puts it up there with the likes of gw2 playerbase wise.

There's no need for cu to add pve to be a success.
  • CacolacoCacolaco Member UncommonPosts: 99

These guys just need to focus on building what they have said they will build. Trying to please everyone has gotten us where we are.

Enough with these stupid quests. Give us larger overall goals. Let players create their own content (and I'm talking about in-gmae, not something like Neverwinter- that is just another immersion killer for me). What sense of accomplishment should I have from completing a quest that masks a grind?

I'm just waiting for a F2P overhyped sandbox WoW clone with full PVP, epic raid bosses, instanced group content, and Crysis-quality graphics to come out. That, or something fun.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Cacolaco

These guys just need to focus on building what they have said they will build. Trying to please everyone has gotten us where we are.

Sure, build what they said they had planned. No need to change and accommodate other players until after a failure-to-launch, or a launch-on-earth-intersecting trajectory.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    I would just love if the compleetly skip any pve in this game,just as mutch as I realy  long for a real pve game without any pvp at all in it.