Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is there any way to get a decent FPS in this game?

MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
Hey guys, I have poor performance on this machine:

AMD PHENOM II X6 3GHZ
NVIDIA GEFORCE 660 TI
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHZ
WIN 7

I never get a solid smooth feeling when running the game.

Will I boost my performance by tweaking the game with sweet fx, or is it not possible to gain a fast solid FPS at all with Rift?

Comments

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Rift is an old game that can easily get a solid FPS on cards that aren't very powerful.  Make sure your drivers are up to date and maybe try to set some of the more demanding features such as Shadows and AA and draw distance on lower values.  You should be able to play the game at a solid 60 easily.
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

Turning of shadows helped alot.

Well even at release I had struggle getting high FPS in Rift (I had a GeForce 470 back then otherwise same machine).

WoW is older and I get a steady high FPS there.

And Rift ain't old. It came out two years ago...

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gamebryo is one of them engines that prefers AMD cards.

But still a 660 should play it full whack no problem. I could play war full whack on a 6850 and its the same engine as rift.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Gamebryo is one of them engines that prefers AMD cards.

But still a 660 should play it full whack no problem. I could play war full whack on a 6850 and its the same engine as rift.

Yeah I know that Warhammer Online also ran on that shitty engine, I loved that game though....

Really annoying Rift prefers AMD cards :P 

But when I turn off shadows the game runs really smooth, and shadows ain't that big of a deal really.

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

I get pretty spotty performance with both Defiance (only tested during beta) and Rift, myself. Turning shadows to off / low seems to help the most. Well, with Rift it does. Defiance still ran like garbage. Something about the way Trion games are programmed just doesn't sit well with my current rig, I guess.

Phenom II X4 3.4Ghz

AMD HD6870

8 GM RAM @ 1300Mhz

Win 7

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

Yeah its a historical thing, gamebryo 1 - daoc/Morrowind was developed with ati.

Gamebryo 2 - rift / oblivion / war / fallout3 gives slightly better performance on AMD. But its not a huge deal like with say how shit Aoc performs on AMD cards vs nvidia.

I don't think its a bad engine myself. I bet bioware wish they modified the war engine for swtor with hindsight, at least ilum and big raids would work.

I think ops issues are either
    1 drivers
    Or 2 processor

Maybe turn down the graphics options that hit both cpu and gpu - like shadows.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Hey guys, I have poor performance on this machine:

AMD PHENOM II X6 3GHZ
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 660 TI
    8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHZ
    WIN 7

I never get a solid smooth feeling when running the game.

Will I boost my performance by tweaking the game with sweet fx, or is it not possible to gain a fast solid FPS at all with Rift?

I have no troubles with Rift even on my older machine made out of crapspackle! seriously, none, and I spent most of my time running around in large groups taking out rifts as they formed all over the place or doing those zone quest events they had going in the end game for currency for gear. 

I did however use the app called gamebooster which turned off all the unnecessary crap that windows loves to run 24/7 no matter what you are doing at the time. helped out quite a bit.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    You will notice that Rift thrashes the CPU more than most games. If you have a slower CPU, the game will also be slower.  I did notice that when playing Rift for 1 year.

• StayonboardStayonboard Member Posts: 77
    Hate to say it but it's because amd sucks complete shit. I had almost the exact rig as you and had problems with a lot of games. Picked up a new mb and went with an i5 now I can max my settings.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but that's the truth of the matter. Nothing you can or will do on your machine will help, I know, I spent countless hours trying everything to get it to flow smooth.... Even going with an ssd drive with a new os install and all new drivers didn't help.
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    I never had a problem with fps, just ability lag and z fighting.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

Originally posted by botrytis
    You will notice that Rift thrashes the CPU more than most games. If you have a slower CPU, the game will also be slower.  I did notice that when playing Rift for 1 year.

to be fair, all mmos are processor and ram hungry,  A PC that plays FPS great - e.g. average processor, high end card will normally play mmos worse than a high end processor, average card setup.

Im getting tired of the bad performance.

GW2 = 80 FPS +

WoW = 100 fps+

Rift ? 15-30 fps MAX.

• WarbsWarbs Member Posts: 245

This post on the official forums may be of use to you

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/general-discussion/352460-tech-talk-rift-performance-2-2-a.html

they will be doing some performance tweaks with 2.2-2.3

Greetings, fellow Telarans! 

Most of the time I work on RIFT’s Addon system, but lately I’ve been co-opted for some performance improvements. We want your stay in the world of Telara to be as smooth and beautiful as possible, and making the client fast is an important part of that.

In 2.2 we’ve got a few fixes that might boost your framerate by around 10%, and I thought I’d give a quick explanation on the major things we improved and what our next steps are. Be warned: this might get a bit technical!

First, I’m sure you’re all aware of the cloak physics simulation code that is now in the game. Every frame we update a “collision skeleton” for the cloak to bump into. This is a simplified model of the player character – it looks kind of like a balloon animal - that’s easy to do physics calculations with, so the cloak doesn’t move through your body and legs. Before the launch of 2.0 we updated our collision skeleton in a simple manner that worked fine for a simple model, especially given that the cloak simulation itself was rather slow.

Since then, our artists have improved the collision model quite a bit, we’ve added support for dynamic mount collisions, and we’ve multithreaded the cloak simulation so it can take advantage of recent high-end processors. This all means that the collision skeleton update was turning into a major speed bottleneck. We solved this through caching a lot of the internal data and updating it only when necessary, as well as moving more of the skeleton update system into the multithreaded section. This took some work to get right, considering that we had to deal with polymorphs and mounts and the like, but this alone gave us around a 3% improvement in busy environments like cities and raids.

The second issue was in the addon system. Our addon system tracks a lot of data internally so it can hand our addon authors compact and detailed messages. Without this work, writing an addon would be many times more difficult than it is today. Unfortunately, it turned out the addon system was doing a good deal of redundant and unnecessary work with abilities, often processing a lot of data and then throwing it away after it was discovered to be un-needed. Many of these checks have been moved earlier in the process, so that instead of throwing away the data, we just never generate it in the first place. (The fastest code is, of course, code that never runs  ) We’re also in the middle of a major rework of the addon framework event system – you won’t see any performance gains from this right now, but once the old system can be removed, there are further improvements we can make to addon performance.

Finally, we found a small stable of small performance losses in the ability button code. I know, I know, “it’s an ability button, how complicated can it be? You just check to see if it’s on cooldown!” RIFT’s abilities are actually really complicated!

Some abilities require specific item types to be equipped (Druid’s Fervent Strike, for example). Some abilities require that the player or target has a buff (Necromancer’s Desecrate), some need to keep track of a past event (Bladedancer’s Reprisal). Some even share cooldowns with other abilities (Paladin’s Shield Throw and Void Knight’s Spark). Many of these checks had performance problems, and while none of them individually were huge, together they added up fast, especially given how many abilities a RIFT player usually juggles.

For a specific example: Years ago, Rift was a much simpler game, with a small number of roles available and a maximum of two dozen ability buttons on the screen at once. Every frame, for each ability on your bar, it would have to unpack a small data structure and figure out whether it represented a Role ability or not. With a small number of buttons and a small number of roles, this wasn’t a problem . . . but now that you can fit over 130 ability buttons on the screen at once, and each button has six roles to check, it became an issue  Easy to fix in many ways, via a more efficient search method and a little caching – we just needed to realize it was a problem. That’s one of the things optimization is all about – making sure that the code best represents the game as it is today, not as it was two years ago.

Keep in mind that these fixes are all CPU improvements. They’ll be most noticeable to people with slow CPUs and fast graphics cards, ideally running at low detail settings. If you have a fast CPU and a slow graphics card, the gains might be smaller.

So, what’s coming up next?

First, realize that these are all possibilities, not guarantees. Performance improvements are uncertain at best!

The work I’ve been doing up until now has been idle optimization, with a character standing in the middle of town or an empty field, or, at most, standing in the middle of a flock of a hundred test bots. Obviously there’s a lot of benefit in catching universal performance issues without combat muddying up the data. Equally obviously, if thereare performance problems in combat, idle optimization won’t find them  My next step is to take this on to live servers, running performance tools while standing shoulder-to-shoulder with you fighting zone event bosses.

Next, there are several hotspots in our rendering pipeline that don’t seem justified. We seem to be using too much CPU to render models; we seem to be using too much CPU to calculate shadowing; we seem to be using too much CPU, ironically, on one of our performance optimization passes. It’s possible that these will be dead-end leads, but they’re worth looking into. Again, I want to reiterate that there’s no way to know if these will work – if I knew, I’d already have fixed them – but they’re all possibilities.

Finally, those of you with modern multi-core computers may have noticed RIFT does most of its work in a single thread. Modern computers are capable of calculating many things simultaneously, but RIFT, by and large, does all its calculations in a straight-line order, not taking advantage of multiple cores or processors. I think there are opportunities to split RIFT’s work into several threads and really exercise modern gaming computers. The programmers reading this are cringing in sympathy right now, as adding support for multiple cores is often a nightmare, but it’s worth trying for the framerate boost that might be achievable. 

With luck, you’ll see a few of these issues fixed in 2.3. I hope you’ve enjoyed this look behind the curtain of RIFT development!

Sounds like BS to me.

So because t have abilities on my action bar the game stutters?

"Keep in mind that these fixes are all CPU improvements. They’ll be most noticeable to people with slow CPUs and fast graphics cards, ideally running at low detail settings. If you have a fast CPU and a slow graphics card, the gains might be smaller."

So what about us with a fast CPU and a good graphics card?

• PalanorPalanor Member UncommonPosts: 46

I have a 660 aswell, but I have an Intel i7, 8gb ram, win8 x64 and I have a solid 60+ fps.

I do know that they said they have a huge performance patch incoming. They wont push it into the f2p patch since they dont want to risk people crashing left and right if it contain bugs.

So yeah, as some others have stated, must be your cpu bud : sorry to say.

Nerf rock, paper is fine -Scissor

Originally posted by Palanor

I have a 660 aswell, but I have an Intel i7, 8gb ram, win8 x64 and I have a solid 60+ fps.

I do know that they said they have a huge performance patch incoming. They wont push it into the f2p patch since they dont want to risk people crashing left and right if it contain bugs.

So yeah, as some others have stated, must be your cpu bud : sorry to say.

My problem is it is not as fast on a single core.

If they can manage to multi thread, I will have no problems whatsoever.

Should have been there from the start.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

i7 950

HD 6870

16gb ram

windows 7 x64

I get great performance in WAR with everything maxed yet Rift ran like crap when I played it.  Even Darkfall UW runs better than Rift on my machine...

• TroubleHunterTroubleHunter Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Rift graphics are hilariously outdated, im really surprised you guys are having problems with FPS.
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

I don't have any issues with fps even in the highest settings. My main problem is that it overheats my cpu and gpu even with everything turned off. I'm currently playing it with software rendering and lowest settings so my pc (which can play most new games at highest settings) doesn't melt. It looks like a 90s game :( 

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Originally posted by boxsnd

I don't have any issues with fps even in the highest settings. My main problem is that it overheats my cpu and gpu even with everything turned off. I'm currently playing it with software rendering and lowest settings so my pc (which can play most new games at highest settings) doesn't melt. It looks like a 90s game :( 

Yeah I do not understand this.

I can run GW 2 in 80+ FPS, goes down to 20 in WvW with several hundreds of players. Which is the same FPS I get, when I run Rift and theres 3-4 people on my screen.

I do not understand why this game hates CPUs and shit so much.