Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does this game Burn out quick?

ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Pretty straight forward.  I'm so burn't of WoW, awful pvp and I blow through raids and basically don't play until the next major patch.  I played rift a bit at launch and had to stop for other things, never got into it.  

I already know I'm going to enjoy leveling in this game, but its all about the long run for me.  How long will I be able to continually play at max level without getting bored? Or feeling like I'm not progressing? I've got a solid amount of time to play especially on weekends so keep in mind I will plan to play Alottt if I do get this.  I Know Trion is known to pump a lot of content out really quick for this game, but quantity and quality are two different things.  

I'm primarily a PvP player, I prefer good PvP, but I will raid if the content is good enough and difficult.  So tell me friends, since this game seems to be very silent on forums lately, what do you think? 

Played-Everything
Playing-LoL

Comments

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    This game does burn out because the graphics
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    This game does burn out because the graphics

What?

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• dc1509dc1509 Member UncommonPosts: 11

Why don't you grab a trial to check if it fits for you at all ?

And there is a Raptor promotion still going (i think),

They (raptr, or raptor... don't remember...) gave me the game and 60 days subscription (at least my trion account say so) , but it took me 4 days to understand that the game is still the same crap I was playing ~2 years back ...

It still plays well once you play with some real friends, skyping ... probably. at least for me.

But when competition is over (friend play something else too) I'm not even logging in to check what is going on.. Pretty nothing going on by the way after major patch came out (storm legion). all the same old crap.

This is totally my IMHO, so I would recommend at least check it out and find your personal opinion on this game.

Cheers

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    its just like any other game..play too much you get burnt out..but all in all I prefer this game to WOW..its the same type of game but the community is a lot better.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    If you burned out on WoW, you're going to get burned out on Rift. If you're a PVP'er and think WoW has bad PVP, you're in for a huge shock when it comes to how bad PVP can actually get in other thempark MMOs. 
  • XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    It's always the same with newbies. They think WoW pvp is crap (probably because they suck at it) and try to play games JUST LIKE WoW thinking the PvP will get better. Only after you've sampled a lot of MMO's do you find out how good WoW's pvp actually is.
    Originally posted by XxGrimmxX
    It's always the same with newbies. They think WoW pvp is crap (probably because they suck at it) and try to play games JUST LIKE WoW thinking the PvP will get better. Only after you've sampled a lot of MMO's do you find out how good WoW's pvp actually is.

I really hope your trolling.  Everyone and their Mothers has 2200 rbg's, its a joke now.

2200+ arena is all about connection, you make it to 2k you meet two glads you get 2200+ and you stop because thats it. Not to mention, God Comp is a complete joke and anyone can run it.  

They had to introduce, a global healing nerf to every spellbook in the game.  How on earth can you say pvp is good in a game that needs such fixes as that, they can't manage the numbers on their own game.  

They lost 1.3 million subs, in ONE quarter of this year.  Let that sink in. 1.3 million people, quit in one quarter, of this year.  How many of them do you think were pvp players? They certainly weren't casuals because this game is perfect for the noob casual playerbase, all the real players are gone.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Thanks for the responses though, I'll keep reading further input but I'm basically getting the same general message.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I played on a PvP server when Rift first came out, their has been a lot of additions, so I do not know how it is now, but back then it was very railed, with limited area to gain xp.  It was so railed and quest hubbed that it was very easy for higher level people to kind of stop you in your tracks on being able to gain xp.

Not enough open world to get away or do something else, also the stealth was basically a get out of jail free ticket, if you popped out, and things weren't going good for you, you could go back into stealth (think it had a timer, but it wasn't that big a time, could be different now).

World was too small/railed for me, harvesting/crafting was not all that great, but Trion did seem like a good company, and if you liked their vision, and liked the things I didn't, then Rift is a solid and good choice.  I played for like 3 months and the negatives were too much for me, while some love the game.  It seems to be one of the more solid efforts, even if it wasn't for me.

Originally posted by Chrisbox

I really hope your trolling.  Everyone and their Mothers has 2200 rbg's, its a joke now.

2200+ arena is all about connection, you make it to 2k you meet two glads you get 2200+ and you stop because thats it. Not to mention, God Comp is a complete joke and anyone can run it.  

They had to introduce, a global healing nerf to every spellbook in the game.  How on earth can you say pvp is good in a game that needs such fixes as that, they can't manage the numbers on their own game.  

They lost 1.3 million subs, in ONE quarter of this year.  Let that sink in. 1.3 million people, quit in one quarter, of this year.  How many of them do you think were pvp players? They certainly weren't casuals because this game is perfect for the noob casual playerbase, all the real players are gone.  

What's your 3s rating?

Also, there's a ton more glad viable comps that aren't God Comp on the ladders.

The global healing nerf is managing the numbers in their game.

They lost 1.3 million subs but you can't say that it's because of PVP.

You're free to hate WoW PVP all you want, but you're not going to find better themepark MMO PVP anywhere else. 

Originally posted by simsalabim77

What's your 3s rating?

Also, there's a ton more glad viable comps that aren't God Comp on the ladders.

The global healing nerf is managing the numbers in their game.

They lost 1.3 million subs but you can't say that it's because of PVP.

You're free to hate WoW PVP all you want, but you're not going to find better themepark MMO PVP anywhere else. 

I wrote in another thread once, I'd give my left nut for good WoW pvp.  I'm Not hating on it to be cool or something It's literally annoyed me that blizzard handled the game like this.  Let downs all over too, Idk how long I waited for diablo 3 to be shoved garbage in my face.  

Everything i wrote about is from experience in game, If i was 1500 3's I wouldn't be posting on a forum right now I'd be getting 2200 and then posting on a forum.  I got the 2200's in MoP's first season, this one isn't any better and its literally playing out the same way, just now KFC isn't all the rage because hunters/warriors got the nerfhammer. oh and hybrid heals are viable again.  KFC Still viable? Absolutely.  10 times less seen at high mmr? Absolutely.  Oh and mmr....that system is just...blah.

All my pvp Bnet friends are on the same boat, PvP players we are that got sick of PvP after going through everything I wrote, so we tried PVE got burn't out super quick and are basically done with everything in this game.  Peer pressure Is a strong thing but this isn't one person saying the game is bad and everyone decides to follow, I see them doing it too, barely logging in and such.

The money speaks for itself, No one is leaving positive feedback anywhere on WoW's PvP and they're income is decreasing.  Self explanatory.  

As for the healing nerf, Im going to say if you have to result to that....from a professional standpoint that's like abandoning ship, thats the last resort when you literally have let everything spiral out of control.  

That can be a very true statement however of im not gonna find better themepark pvp, that doesn't mean WoW's is polished right now. 

I'll always have this very strange faith in WoW however, Just because I've played it since the early days.  But I don't think I've ever been this demotivated to log into a video game.  

Anyway I'm done discussing WoW on a rift thread, and I already got the general answer of stay away from rift so, thanks for the input all.  Might give the Raptr deal a shot anyway just because its really solid, but we'll see.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the state of PVP in WoW is anything great, but if you think balance and competitiveness in WoW is bad, you are not going to be happy with Rift or pretty much any other themepark. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the state of PVP in WoW is anything great, but if you think balance and competitiveness in WoW is bad, you are not going to be happy with Rift or pretty much any other themepark. 

I really appreciate you saying that, no sarcasm.  This is the kind of input I was looking for with this thread, and I got it.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    If you burned out on WoW, you're going to get burned out on Rift. If you're a PVP'er and think WoW has bad PVP, you're in for a huge shock when it comes to how bad PVP can actually get in other thempark MMOs. 

This   +1

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185

Pretty straight forward.  I'm so burn't of WoW, awful pvp and I blow through raids and basically don't play until the next major patch.  I played rift a bit at launch and had to stop for other things, never got into it.  

I already know I'm going to enjoy leveling in this game, but its all about the long run for me.  How long will I be able to continually play at max level without getting bored? Or feeling like I'm not progressing? I've got a solid amount of time to play especially on weekends so keep in mind I will plan to play Alottt if I do get this.  I Know Trion is known to pump a lot of content out really quick for this game, but quantity and quality are two different things.  

I'm primarily a PvP player, I prefer good PvP, but I will raid if the content is good enough and difficult.  So tell me friends, since this game seems to be very silent on forums lately, what do you think? 

Honestly, you will burn out quite quickly once you realize how much of the content is fluff. RIFT is a solid game, but (I know many fanbois will hate me for saying this) TRION throws in a lot of "content". I put it in quotes because the majority of players will see it as genuine new content, but veteran MMO players will not. You quickly start not caring about most of the things the push out, unless it's either class related or a new PvP map.

The majority of the developers attention in RIFT is to PvE. Raiding is what you primarily do at endgame and you fill the downtime between that by grinding out dailies and zone events. Most zone events are fun only for the first time, a few the second, a only a handful more so beyond that (a note able exception is the Death-based Freemarch event). Daily dungeons also become boring very quickly and need to be done with a guild group to avoid the idiots in the Q system.

PvP in RIFT is average really. The actual fighting is very enjoyable, but that only holds you for so long. Your PvP experience is confined to warfronts/battlegrounds/scenarios (instanced PvP) unless you are on the open-PvP server. Conquest attempts to be your relief from this 1-mode PvP and an attempt at RvR, but it's very painful to do. If you're a hardcore PvP junkie, you will be forced to do Conquest sadly, because some of the best BiS PvP items come from it.

The shining gem in RIFT is it's class system, which will keep you playing for a large amount of time simply because of experimentation. It does a good job of giving the player more traditional classes and new ones simultaneously, with each soul usually sticking to the same play style. TRION also does a good job watching balance, which is something to note in this expansive system. I logged most of my hours of RIFT on Xfire simply by experimenting with classes and enjoying my Sentinel in PvP.

Other note able features: Rifts, the Story, and the Graphics. Rifts are TRION's expanding of WAR's PQ system. They appear in numerous pre-selected locations in a variety of different elements (Earth, Air, Fire - pun intended) and do a great job at breaking up questing or simply for mindless fun. Don't get fooled though, they get dull fast and all operate in a similar manner.

The story in RIFT is unique and fantastic. While it's not my personal favorite, it does give you a great story, wonderful characters, and humor at all the right points. It is also a fantasy setting, but not a traditional one that falls into a specific category. TRION makes it work though.

The graphics in RIFT need to be experienced really. They make the game mind-melting.

It is a game worth trying and playing for awhile, but don't mistake fanboi comments on the game.

EDIT: Spelling.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I know people are going to moan at me saying this but rift is basically a wow clone.. yes yes there are differences but its your average themepark MMO so if your burnt out on wow then your probably going to burn out on this pretty quick as well. I am not saying Rift is a bad game for what it is, its just if you burnt out on wow then this wont last long.

Either take a brake from MMOs or try something very different..

IF you need to stick to themeparks then maybe TSW would be worth a try.. other than that maybe try one of the hardcore sandbox MMO games Mortal Online or Darkfall: Unholy Wars.. yes none of those games are perfect in anyway but they are a lot different from your average wow clone so they might peak your interest.. but of course they are not for everyone.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Rift is a solid game without any major issues, other than PVP. The raiding is good and the dungeons while not being spectacular is pretty solid. It has plenty of content, but much of it is rather stale. Personally I'm not keen on the gameplay which is far too tedious to be enjoyable for more than a few days and it's the main reason I unsubbed in the end.
  • ReeseFlamelocksReeseFlamelocks Member UncommonPosts: 45

Themepark PvP is always stunted and handicapped. You won't find Rift's PvP to be any better or worse than Wow's. I wouldn't play Rift if you're looking for PvP. Step outside the carebear themepark PvP and go play Darkfall UW.

But I will add that Rift's themepark PvE experience is pretty much an improvement over WoW's, and it looks a lot better than having to play around with Saturday morning cartoon graphics in WoW.

Played: UO, DAoC, Shadowbane, DDO, LOTRO, Aion, Rift, TERA
    Sampled: WoW, AoC, GW2, Vanguard, FF XIV, Neverwinter
    Playing: ESO

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Was burned out pretttty quickly i must say ..
  • mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

I enjoyed rift more than WoW. This is mostly due to the soul system, I enjoyed it i n the beginning when you had to find and unlock each soul. I was disappointed when they swapped over but got used to it really quick.

As a genera I'm burned out,  though Rift is still above WoW in my opinion.

I'm not much of a PvPer but I do my fair share and it is par with so many other "arena style" pvp setups.

Being able to basically go just about anywhere and getting "rewards" for exploring is always nice I liked to be able to "climb" a mountain to get somewhere. Trions events are great. it is like tiny DLC's all the time. They made me want  to actually login. I only quit because I had lost my job for several months and only unsubbed because I wanted to make sure every ounce of money was reserved to bills.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Like most have said, it's basically like WoW. They do have some differences, but I feel the core was the same.

I didn't make it through a month's worth of time, because it's basically the same formula. Doesn't hurt to try though!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Pretty straight forward.  I'm so burn't

So yes, without examining Rift at all, you pretty much answered your own question.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Rift is wow with a different setting so if you liked wow but want something with a new setting/story you will enjoy it. However if you wanted something with different gameplay and new ideas Rift isn't for you.