Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not Sure Why...

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Not sure why this game is listed here, as it isn't an MMO.  I know definitions of "MMO" can be loose and open to interpretation, but if this game is an MMO then so is Battlefield 3, Call of Duty, Left 4 Dead, and basically every FPS or TPS like War of the Roses released in the past 10 years that includes multiplayer.  Also most RTS games in the past 10 years.

This is an 8 vs 8 multiplayer lobby game with some quasi-RPS-ish features like getting "XP" similar to Call of Duty.   So I guess my question is, if this game is on mmorpg.com, where is the Battlefield 3 subforum?  It has every "MMO" feature mechwarrior does, and is far more popular. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on MWO specifically, just pointing out that either A) It is not an MMO, at all or B) If it is an MMO, then so is basically EVERY other game from EVERY genre that has multiplayer.

Comments

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

Because this site wants to have more than 100 people posting on it. Trying to appeal to pc gamers is a better strategy than trying to appeal to just mmorpg gamers that have a plethora of sites to choose from. Plus, this game isn't a mmo is a great way for people without a decent argument a reason to forum rage and complain about. 

If this site went exclusive mmo, than it wouldn't be able to compete with other sites that offer more news to read through.

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    then why is there no COD, BF3, TF2 etc on this website??! how fair and logical is that?
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

A) Bcs it will get persistent metagme in one of the next major updates...
    B) There is no modern mmo - only single player games in shared space so better close this site... ;)

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Probably because of the way they named it 'MechWarrior Online.' A more accurate name would be "MechWarrior can't-be-bothered-to-program-AI" or "Mechwarrior" with the caveot, "multi player game only; single player not supported."

If they do indeed plan on patching in a persistent world instead of the silly timed death-matches, then I guess that would make it an MMO. Haven't heard anything suggesting this is going to happen, though.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Arclan

Probably because of the way they named it 'MechWarrior Online.' A more accurate name would be "MechWarrior can't-be-bothered-to-program-AI" or "Mechwarrior" with the caveot, "multi player game only; single player not supported."

If they do indeed plan on patching in a persistent world instead of the silly timed death-matches, then I guess that would make it an MMO. Haven't heard anything suggesting this is going to happen, though.

this has been part on the plan since day one:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/2247-dev-blog-1-community-warfare/

with such persistent world features, MWO will most certainly have some deserved space in these forums. everyone please stop with the straight-up BF/CoD comparisons until you've done even the most basic research about the game.

cheers! 

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

In Planetside you'd (1) log on, (2) analyze the world map for hotspots (indicates fighting), and (3) joined whichever hotspot/fight you liked. You took over bases that were persistent.

This style of gameplay worked. If there was a fight, you could join it. There were no instances, no time limit, no player limit. Correction, there was a 300 player limit per continent.

Would *love* it if MWO could implement gameplay like this.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Cristina1
    then why is there no COD, BF3, TF2 etc on this website??! how fair and logical is that?

See those two links at the very top of the page, right hand corner?

You just answered your own question.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Originally posted by Arclan

In Planetside you'd (1) log on, (2) analyze the world map for hotspots (indicates fighting), and (3) joined whichever hotspot/fight you liked. You took over bases that were persistent.

This style of gameplay worked. If there was a fight, you could join it. There were no instances, no time limit, no player limit. Correction, there was a 300 player limit per continent.

Would *love* it if MWO could implement gameplay like this.

Maybe it was just me but MWO was to clunky when I did the beta. I have played many mech games and this one just lacked zing.

And Planet side is in a league of its own. <3 

• TheBlackCrowTheBlackCrow Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by moguy2

Maybe it was just me but MWO was to clunky when I did the beta. I have played many mech games and this one just lacked zing.

Ya! i was in the last few weeks of beta and it was still like that. This game has several huge issues.

One being that its nothing but a grind fest. You have to do way to much grinding to even purchase your own mech (a light mech at that), while thoes who purchase a pack/buy into the game will have access to better wepons and other mechs. There is a debate if this actually gives you an advantage, but if it didnt give you an advantage why would you buy in the first place. You will not be able to modify the default mechs if you are free to play.  Hawken i thinks allows this but MWO dosent feel that F2P people should have this right. F2P people have to grind a verry long time to do this. 

Second there is alot of abuse on the forums towards people who actually only play for free. Ive seen it, its on the froums and the game delv lets it happen. They ask questions that any new player asks, and these guys get simply thrashed buy community leaders and the buy-in's. This is a verry hostel forum for any new players. They need to dismiss the community leaders and start cracking down on thoes who abuse other players.

Third this game at the end of beta should have been polished and finshed. This game is a fail in that department. They are talking about updates and better mechanics..uuum isnt that what beta was for??  all these guys should take a look at Ghost Recon Online. That game was kicking butt right out of the end of beta. all the issues and game play was FINSHED,POLISHED and READY when it started. Not so with MWO.

Fourth there is no content, no goals, no real feeling behind the game. (those who would say they are rolling it out...well it should have been rolled out at the start of the game.)

Last but not least most players only survive about 2 min at the most when playing on a map. Again there will be people talking about that when you get better you will last longer...why would i play a game where i would have no chance at all in a map only to get killed in 2 min  (where is the entertainment??), then forced to watch another player play untill time runs out? This could be a issue of level matching, again this is something that should have been solved in beta.

I removed the game from my PC because it was just taking up room.

MWO is a tru fail...i will be surprise it lasts 12 months.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by TheBlackCrow
    Originally posted by moguy2

Ya! i was in the last few weeks of beta and it was still like that. This game has several huge issues.

One being that its nothing but a grind fest. You have to do way to much grinding to even purchase your own mech (a light mech at that), while thoes who purchase a pack/buy into the game will have access to better wepons and other mechs. There is a debate if this actually gives you an advantage, but if it didnt give you an advantage why would you buy in the first place. You will not be able to modify the default mechs if you are free to play.  Hawken i thinks allows this but MWO dosent feel that F2P people should have this right. F2P people have to grind a verry long time to do this. 

You have to play about 8 hours to earn enough money to buy your own mech.

Second there is alot of abuse on the forums towards people who actually only play for free. Ive seen it, its on the froums and the game delv lets it happen. They ask questions that any new player asks, and these guys get simply thrashed buy community leaders and the buy-in's. This is a verry hostel forum for any new players. They need to dismiss the community leaders and start cracking down on thoes who abuse other players.

I haven't seen this.

Third this game at the end of beta should have been polished and finshed. This game is a fail in that department. They are talking about updates and better mechanics..uuum isnt that what beta was for??  all these guys should take a look at Ghost Recon Online. That game was kicking butt right out of the end of beta. all the issues and game play was FINSHED,POLISHED and READY when it started. Not so with MWO.

They used the beta to test things, such as weather.. They increased the snow storm effectiveness during beta. They tweaked heat costs on lasers.. they implemented many things. Screw Ghost Recon, this is  Mechwarrior,  so give them a break.

Fourth there is no content, no goals, no real feeling behind the game. (those who would say they are rolling it out...well it should have been rolled out at the start of the game.)

At this stage, the content is tons of mechs, and weapon variations to try out. They are adding more.

Last but not least most players only survive about 2 min at the most when playing on a map. Again there will be people talking about that when you get better you will last longer...why would i play a game where i would have no chance at all in a map only to get killed in 2 min  (where is the entertainment??), then forced to watch another player play untill time runs out? This could be a issue of level matching, again this is something that should have been solved in beta.

This could be fixed by learning to play. This isn't a first person shooter, it's a mech simulation.

Clearly, you fail at piloting a mech.  Have fun in Ghost Recon lol.

• TheBlackCrowTheBlackCrow Member Posts: 12

You have to play about 8 hours to earn enough money to buy your own mech.

I had played well over 8 hours in that game and didnot even come close to being able to buy anything.

Second there is alot of abuse on the forums towards people who actually only play for free. Ive seen it, its on the froums and the game delv lets it happen. They ask questions that any new player asks, and these guys get simply thrashed buy community leaders and the buy-in's. This is a verry hostel forum for any new players. They need to dismiss the community leaders and start cracking down on thoes who abuse other players.

I haven't seen this.

Really! well people all you need to do is go on the forums and read. Lots abuse towards new players. It dosent matter how many times a question, concern and complaints should come up, this should not happen. Really bad enviorment. Not if this game is to make it.

Third this game at the end of beta should have been polished and finshed. This game is a fail in that department. They are talking about updates and better mechanics..uuum isnt that what beta was for?? all these guys should take a look at Ghost Recon Online. That game was kicking butt right out of the end of beta. all the issues and game play was FINSHED,POLISHED and READY when it started. Not so with MWO.

They used the beta to test things, such as weather.. They increased the snow storm effectiveness during beta. They tweaked heat costs on lasers.. they implemented many things. Screw Ghost Recon, this is Mechwarrior, so give them a break.

As a consumer i dont have to give anyone a break. Its simple. Beta is for testing,yes. If the game is not finshed by the time open beta comes then the game is not done! I can garuntee Ghost Recon is the better game. This is what the average consumer will think!

Fourth there is no content, no goals, no real feeling behind the game. (those who would say they are rolling it out...well it should have been rolled out at the start of the game.)

At this stage, the content is tons of mechs, and weapon variations to try out. They are adding more.

Well when will that be? I understand the time line mech system but where are your new maps? Where are your game modes? At the time of open beta not much had changed.

Last but not least most players only survive about 2 min at the most when playing on a map. Again there will be people talking about that when you get better you will last longer...why would i play a game where i would have no chance at all in a map only to get killed in 2 min (where is the entertainment??), then forced to watch another player play untill time runs out? This could be a issue of level matching, again this is something that should have been solved in beta.

This could be fixed by learning to play. This isn't a first person shooter, it's a mech simulation.

Clearly, you fail at piloting a mech. Have fun in Ghost Recon lol.

LOL this game is a FPS! You have gun/s , walk around shooting stuff. Tell me the difference between this game and a FPS.. there is none!.....And thank you for showing all of us what the MWO forums are like. Hostile Battletech fanboys that like to troll. This is exactly what you guys will see on the forums...like i said , stay away unless you like abuse.

• xBenzinxxBenzinx Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

...There is no modern mmo - only single player games in shared space so better close this site... ;)

I laughed...

Then I cried.

Damn you, truth! DAMN YOU!

At this low point in MMO gaming, I refuse to play even the shiniest turd.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

"You have to play about 8 hours to earn enough money to buy your own mech."

"I had played well over 8 hours in that game and didnot even come close to being able to buy anything. "

Was this before or after they introduced the cadet bonus. There is also a upcoming change that will remove the need to rely on trial mechs for new players. So that argument will simply be out the door.

As for the rest, pretty much all communities are rancid these days and i guess we have to wait for the community warfare to be activated before we can say if this will have MMO quality or not.

But all i can say is this. In the new player and support sections on the forums you find pretty much only people willing to help... Again just like most other games.

This have been a good conversation