Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People should stop complaining about PvE...

• TigsKCTigsKC Kansas City, MOPosts: 148Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MajiinX

The point I was trying to make and I'm glad other CU loyalists agree with me on this is that this is designed to be an RvR game which creates a very unique environment and experience for players. Adding in PvE can completely creates quite a few problems when making an RvR or PvP focused game here are a few:

1. Balancing: When you mix PvP and PvE you create problems in balancing because as you buff and nurf certain things it effects both aspects of the game especially when it comes to things like damage, healing and crowd control then the devs are forced to constantly play a balancing act. Example: A wizards primary damage spell is fireball, fireball is doing an absurd amount of damage in PvP so the devs nurf the damage but as a result the wizards PvE damage has drooped substantially 

2: Content: PvEers blow through content faster then devs can put it out. Devs have to constantly create new dungeons, raids, factions and loot. PvPers on the other hand compete with each other for not just gear but for rank, titles and bragging rights. PvPers will usually play the same arena, maps and battlegrounds for months at a time and we are ok with that in fact look at WoW they still use AV, AB and WSG which are over 8 years old and they have since then only added 1-2 BGs per xpac. 

3: Gear: You have the issue of having different stats for pvp and pve gear and making it so that one set of gear is not viable for the other because you usually end up with having the BiS gear acquired through PvE due to the ilevel usually being higher since raid usually come with higher item level gear.

4: Atmosphere, when you have an RvR game you are constantly fighting, your not safe anywhere you can't just casually go out and gather crating mats, do dailies and things of that nature your realm is in a constant state of war and you have to fight there is danger everywhere and that creates a very different experience. Creating a PvE server and PvE content and safe zones would completely change the atmosphere and experience.

5: And my last reason is logistics: Why should CSE waste time, money and man power to create PvE content when that could be used to help make CU a better RvR experience, sure its a niche game but I think myself and the other backers are totally fine with that.

Oh and I also wanted to point out, that yes there are many games that people complain about not having PvP content and I'm sure it can be frustrating to PvErs but it comes down to the competitive nature of players people enjoy competing against each other and getting together with their guild, faction, friends etc.. and competing with other people its one of the few aspects of MMOs that are purely social unlike PvE which is becoming more and more solo friendly and has gotten to the point in some games where you simply just queue up for a dungeon or a raid and just breeze through the content with minimal interaction with other players.

Nice post!

Basically, adding PvE servers to CU is like saying, "What this football game needs is more basketball courts!"

• skyexileskyexile MelbournePosts: 692Member Common

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Planetside isn't "just a really big team death match game"It's the 2nd best implementation of rvr ever, after daoc.

are you referring to planetside 1 or ...2...

TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• TamanousTamanous Edmonton, ABPosts: 2,254Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Planetside isn't "just a really big team death match game"

It's the 2nd best implementation of rvr ever, after daoc.

It's a fps game action game with vehicles, no pve, no crafting and nothing like block/cell based construction nor a player based economy. Totally different genre and approach at RvR. The only thing close to what CU will be is that there are 3 factions fighting each other.

Yes it is a massive team death match game compared to DAoC or even what CU will be (CU is actually vastly more sandbox like that DaoC or most mmos for that matter).

Also the point I was making had absolutely nothing to do with comparing CU with Planetside. It was about players not understanding what an RvR rpg game is. You reinforced this opinion with your reply.

You stay sassy!

• meddyckmeddyck Athens, GAPosts: 1,139Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by TigsKC

Basically, adding PvE servers to CU is like saying, "What this football game needs is more basketball courts!"

Heh. Or it's like saying, "Your cornerbacks need to win a 3 point shooting contest before they are allowed in the game and they won't be effective at tackling unless they have beaten up an NBA center and now are wearing his jersey."

Camelot Unchained Backer
    DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member Common

No its still not a "death match"

It's a fully persistent world, there is no "match" in planetside.

Death match; an instanced, timed game with equal sides, where the team that scores the most killsbefore the clock ticks down wins.

Rvr: a fully persistent 3 sided war, where the holding of territory grants faction wide bonuses to the side holding the territory and Individuals progress their characters by taking part in the war.

Planetside is the later not the former.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member Common
    Sky: ps1 obviously

Although i like ps2 too, it certainly does rvr better than gw2, tsw, Swtor and aion, I'm on the fence as to if its better than war though.