Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Live Forum Q&A with WildStar's Jeremy Gaffney -- Begins NOW!

Comments

• CheefNilocCheefNiloc Member Posts: 1
    We know that your world contains zones with sub zones within zones. What I am wondering is if the main zones will be instanced(phased) with the sub zones being part of a persistent zone like in GW2 or will the main zones themselves be part of a persistent world as in WoW.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by Abefroman
    Originally posted by Leiloni
    Not being able to fly in a sci-fi game breaks my immersion.  If you don't want to fly then don't.  Stop trying to force everyone to play the way you want. 

I don't want anyone flying, there's a difference. But from the sounds of it, you won't be playing on my server anyway, so it's all good. ;)

Once again you want to restrict what people can and can't do.  I at least give you the choice not to fly.  Making assumptions on what server I would play on from a username on a message board is short sided.

Huh? I made no mention of your user name and to be honest I didn't even look at it. Stop getting so defensive and making assumptions. I said it "sounds" like, as in I was referring to the words you typed to me. Specifically:

"Stop trying to force everyone to play the way you want.  "

That's a pretty standard line from a PvEer that doesn't like the idea of OwPvP. I'll be playing on a PvP server. That's all I meant.

• muskeydogbomuskeydogbo Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Just had to reply to two points, want fun fishing go play zelda n64 soo good copy paste tht + a few bells and whistles .Two,flying mounts are great just need something to make us  WANT  to land and do ground events fly /land /fly land.
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    How are difficulty levels going to be administered? Meaning how are you guys going to appease say those looking for a quick run vs. those looking for an extreme challenge.
  • DaGafferDaGaffer Carbine StudiosMember Posts: 62
    Originally posted by jgilmer87

How are you planning on releasing raiding content? Is it going to be immediately available, staggered release, some type of keying process?

Part of me hopes for it being immediately released so I can experience it right away. However, I know if that is done, I will skip over a lot of content and zerg my way to level cap to raid asap. Alts can always be used to go back and experience that content the way it was meant to be experienced I suppose.

We'll have multiple raids at launch and add more thereafter fairly rapidly/regularly, is the current plans.  Won't completely swear to that until we get some hardcore raiders in there to tell us what's awesome and what ain't because knowing how long we have to polish/tune is, if I can give an honest answer, a very tricky thang from a dev standpoint.

Also our raids are harder to put together than normal raids (and more replayable) because of the dynamic elements.  But IMO we need to ship with at least several and have more in the hopper for post-launch deployment or can we really say we're committed to elder games?

We'll see as we reveal more about 'em too.

Jeremy Gaffney
    Executive Producer, Carbine Studios (Wildstar Online)

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    ok I just dont get it, how does flight trivialize the games artwork.. I use my flying mounts in games to see the world better... I have so many screenshots from WoW from up in the air.. as to you PVPers.. you just want to gank ppl and either like it to make it easier or dont like it because ppl can escape... there is no valid reason why flight would hurt PVP.

• WrekhWrekh Member Posts: 8
    Will we have dungeon or basement inside our house to capture and store monsters / wild animals? Dungeon Keeper minigame maybe?  :)
  • KaeyiDreamKaeyiDream Member UncommonPosts: 76

Hi DaGaffer, thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to do this.. i'm wanting to know if you could give us any insight into what payment method you're thinking of doing for Wildstar & will there be a cash shop?

Unfortunately this kind of decision will massively dictate who will and wont play and both methods can cause issues.. for example being F2P can cause hackers and  bots among other things. On the other hand people don't want to pay a sub fee.. or even have a cash shop.

So i am wondering how you're going to tackle this :)

Thank you!

Kaeyi; Guild Leader of Somnium! Twitter: @KaeyiDream Youtube: www.youtube.com/KaeyiDream Website: www.kaeyidream.com

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120

Players will use the most efficient method of travel, regardless of whether they like it or not. No one is going to run if they can fly, even if they'd rather that everyone be running. It's human nature and you can't change that. That is why we need to take out flying mounts entirely. If you're trying to make a game for everyone, you'll leave it out because it entirely kills OwPvP but it has no real effects on everyone else. They still have various other methods of fast travel.

I would like to see flying mounts in a sci-fi game but that's just me.  What if they had no fly zones that if you were flying in that area, turrets would shoot you down, disabling your ability to re-mount for an x amount of time.  Then you would be stranded in an area and people could fight you.  Also, if they had aerial combat via a few enabled abilties while mounted, that would create a nice 3D space to explore in... and more area for OwPVP.  I don't see why its a problem having MORE area to play in.

You talk about the most efficient way of traveling.. so if people unlock their raid portal, then theoretically to you, people would only be porting at end game.  Do you want them to remove this feature as well?

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

One last thing that occurred to me regarding flight is the ease of use and accessibility.  You just press a button and the mount appears.  In addition to fuel, it might be prudent to only be able to get on your ship from a certain point, or to go to where you landed to call it once more (or have phase technology where only you and your party can see your ship's land site, or invisibility technology where it warps in, or flies in after taking off once you exit).

The ability to summon it and take off anywhere is an offender of the concerns.  Whereas if you have to go to a designated point, you can still travel to an area with your ship and then pretty much traverse the entirety of the area on foot without using flight.  One reason for this could be block or jammed communication of auto pilots coming back to you and instead using the last known beacon (where you dropped of), or some such.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Originally posted by herbalz
    can you go in to detail about the in house game binball...or vinball(whatever its called)? will this be a mini game you can earn stuff through or will it be just for fun? also will there ever be an open beta period or will you be going from closed beta straight into launch like other games such as marvel heroes for example

Ha!  Vindball.  It's basically crazy combat soccer knocking an ever-growing supply of giant inflated weasels into nets.  We added it to housing for fun and it became a meme on our team.  I don't know how much we'll add to it over time (or when we'll push it live).

We'll do an open beta period not long before launch (open beta for us means w/o NDA, means different things at diff companies).

Jeremy Gaffney

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Excited for Wildstar, only concern is they are trying to have too many features at launch. Features other mmorpgs didnt have untill  years after launch :)
  • dr_yigglesdr_yiggles Member Posts: 3

Hey Jeremy!  Another question for you:

Do you think you guys will ever implement some sort of speed run type system for 5 man dungeons or add any solo player dungeons where there is a Leaderboard System for either/both to them?  

Its something I see done in other games and would be really great for players who don't have the time to do the big Elder Game and would be a nice progression for those players.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    I know every company has an official policy on hacks and cheats, but what are you guys going to do in this regard? Many a game has been ruined for me because of the lack of enforcement. This includes gold sellers. 
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by skimatix

Players will use the most efficient method of travel, regardless of whether they like it or not. No one is going to run if they can fly, even if they'd rather that everyone be running. It's human nature and you can't change that. That is why we need to take out flying mounts entirely. If you're trying to make a game for everyone, you'll leave it out because it entirely kills OwPvP but it has no real effects on everyone else. They still have various other methods of fast travel.

I would like to see flying mounts in a sci-fi game but that's just me.  What if they had no fly zones that if you were flying in that area, turrets would shoot you down, disabling your ability to re-mount for an x amount of time.  Then you would be stranded in an area and people could fight you.  Also, if they had aerial combat via a few enabled abilties while mounted, that would create a nice 3D space to explore in... and more area for OwPVP.  I don't see why its a problem having MORE area to play in.

You talk about the most efficient way of traveling.. so if people unlock their raid portal, then theoretically to you, people would only be porting at end game.  Do you want them to remove this feature as well?

Yea I would. If you allow people to port to instances, they have no reasons to be running around in the game world. It killed WoW, it killed TERA, it has killed a lot of games. PvPers want OwPvP in the entire game world - not one specific zone that shoots down flying mounts, not one zone that has specific objectives - the entire game.

But for that to be fun, people need to have reasons to be in the game world throughout the leveling process as well as at endgame. Carbine is building a beautiful, detailed, and complex game world for us - why don't you want to encourage people to be enjoying every little inch of that world as often as possible?

This is a full featured MMORPG - not a lobby based dungeon grinder. It should be treated as such.

• dproederdproeder Member Posts: 1
    Can you talk about controller support?
    Originally posted by muskeydogbo
    Just had to reply to two points, want fun fishing go play zelda n64 soo good copy paste tht + a few bells and whistles .Two,flying mounts are great just need something to make us  WANT  to land and do ground events fly /land /fly land.

Toontown/animal crossing both had good fishing too IMO.  Remember tho we are Wildstar so likely you'll be tossing explosives into the water to blow things up or something equally offbeat...unless you're used to getting eaten by mining nodes in other games, we usually have our own spin on it.

Jeremy Gaffney

• Demosthenes201Demosthenes201 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by DaGaffer

Dungeon finder yes, once you've unlocked the dungeon.  Raid finder TBD, but there's a lot of debate on our forums about whether the ease of access makes raids not meaningful enough, so we haven't implemented it that way.  Feedback welcome.

Whenever I suggest it on forums, I have always received positive feedback so I think it is worth suggesting.

LFD/R is a good thing. What needs to happen however is that it should never be cross-server and it does not teleport party members directly to the dungeon/raid.

The reason why LFD/R is good is because without the LFD/R system, people are stuck in cities spamming city chat for groups. This builds poor server community. With a LFD/R system, players are not bound to spamming city chat to find groups. Also without the system, players who prefer to dps usually got it the hardest because thorough inspections would be done just for a simple dungeon. When there are 3000 dpsers and only 200tanks and 200healers, first come first serve feels the fairest assuming all the dpsers can do the dungeon. The LFD/R is good for the 99% but can hurt the 1%. However I have a solution.

If the LFD/R didn't involve teleporting members to the dungeon/raid, then it would force them out into the world. This means more socializing, farming, world PvP, ect.When LFD/R systems do have teleportation, then players often still hang out in cities. If players would only be put in groups together but not sent to where the dungeon is, it forces them out into the world. This can only work if the LFD/R system is for same-server only, not cross-server. If it were cross-server, it would be redundant on a community level and it makes pugging dungeons/raids feel stale. When the system groups members of the same server, it makes the server stronger and reputations are established for being good or a reputation for being bad or rage quitting.

TL;DR LFD/R is good. No cross-server grouping. No teleporting party members to dungeon/raid.

• AlgolgamingAlgolgaming Member Posts: 2

Flying mounts: There is no reason they should not exist in some fashion especially in your factions lands. The only concern I would have is making explorer mountain climbing treats worthless if you can just fly up to them (speculation). 

However in open world PvP where you are in the contested lands, its not unreasonable to assume that on the world boundaries there are various anti-air battery encampments graphicly just blasting away at npc sky box planes. So when you try to use your mount to circumvent PvP, the game tells you that it's not safe to use your plane here. It's simple. 

After all, ladies and gentlemen let's not forget that this is a game based in a 'familiar reality somewhere in space. We're humanoid creatures who talk and do other things we're familiar with. Convience is human nature, so the fact that this is an interstellar sci fi game with large landscapes, makes sense that we would have ground vehicles, atmospheric air vehicles, and space vehicles be it relevant to some kind of gameplay like SWG jump to lightspeed. 

The notion that having flying mounts is game breaking is irrational. They exist in the universe, and the fact that there is the taxi system in those little helicopter things proves they are going to be around. Why would a filthy rich player not have his own to fly around?

Instead of attempting to debunk the already factual concept of 'flying mounts' in this game. Why not be productive and just offer up solutions / limits to their usage? ie. Timers on usage, timers on lifespan, distance limits, elevation limits, v-tol take off to a set altitude then you travel where you want and have to land (like a final fantasy airship type mechanic).

Flame wars and personal preference have no place in debates such as they. Be logical and offer proper solutions. For heavens sake, they keep saying they're listening. Now, is your chance.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Will WildStar have an authenticator?

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• AbefromanAbefroman Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    Not being able to fly in a sci-fi game breaks my immersion.  If you don't want to fly then don't.  Stop trying to force everyone to play the way you want. 

Players being able to fly affects players who choose not to do so. Same to you as far as forcing others goes.

You have the choice to not fly.  Flying fits the genre. 

All scifi is not equal. Point me at the Wildstar lore which mentions single seater atmospheric flight.

Now you are just being silly.

I'm not the one talking about immersion while we have very little info about the lore. I was under the impression these devs are using fun as the big determinant for design choices, so I'd image the decision to allow flying mounts will be based on whether it's fun all around rather than they must be added because scifi.

http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2013/03/plugs11.jpg

Flying changing world pvp is a real concern.  Not wanting flying because of immersion is not.  To balance it you can easily have anti-aircraft cannons and such that would blow you out of the sky in certain areas or your typical uber flying guards that wont allow access.

Originally posted by dr_yiggles

Hey Jeremy!  Another question for you:

Do you think you guys will ever implement some sort of speed run type system for 5 man dungeons or add any solo player dungeons where there is a Leaderboard System for either/both to them?  

Its something I see done in other games and would be really great for players who don't have the time to do the big Elder Game and would be a nice progression for those players.

Ha!  Yes, some plans on this which sound quite fun.  More info as we get it in game/test it (I hate talking about plans for things I haven't seen working yet as plans tend to dissipate when they meet reality).

Jeremy Gaffney

• darkraxieldarkraxiel Member Posts: 7
    what lenguages will be available at launch?
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Hey, the one reveal I'm really waiting for is the 4th Exile Race, so while you're here, are you willing to give any new hints/clues to that? image
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    DeGaffer, what are you guys doing about certain tools the community may make? Namely Recount versus Deadly Boss Mods. One is a tool that tells you how you are doing and the other is a tool that tells you what to do. Are you planning on building around that, or not allowing that level of scripting?

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

This discussion has been closed.