Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF F2P MMO with grouping

kiravelikiraveli Member UncommonPosts: 79

I've just about given up on MMOs right now, I can't seem to get anything to stick. I guess I'm just looking for filler until I learn something about EQN. Nothing released this year interests me at all. If you know of a current/upcoming MMO that fits these, then please share!

What I'm looking for:

• F2P/B2P no sub games, light P2W is ok I guess. 
  • Group content. I like my MMOs to actually be MMOs, so must have this.
  • PvP would be great, as I love to PvP. Not a requirement.
  • Fantasy settings preferred, but again not required. 
  • Trinity strongly preferred. I didn't enjoy GW2 combat at all.
  • I really love shapeshifter/beast races so that's a massive plus if you know of anything.
  • Hate themeparks, but seeing as there are no good sandbox games yet, I'll let this slide.

Games I've played:

WoW

Played over 6 years, just done with it. 

GW2

I leveled to max recently and discovered there's no reason to even speak to other people. You grind. Grind some more...grind...that's what end game appears to be. Trying to even get groups was frustrating. The lack of support classes depressed me as well. Yes you can build support, but I quite enjoy my trinity, thank you.

Neverwinter

It was ok but I discovered Astral Diamonds and their associated costs and stopped playing. 

Vanguard

I liked this game, but between it refusing to run well on my PC and the strange high ping as well as no one to play with I got bored. If I want to play alone I'll just start up Grind Wars 2.

Istaria

I really hate crafting and pretty sure that's all this game is about. Dragons were sub only anyway.

LOTRO

Tried this a couple times over the years. Pretty sure you have to grind TP to unlock content. I'm also hearing very bad things about their newest changes so haven't looked into it. Maybe worth trying again anyway?

EQ1 & 2

EQ was my first MMO and I really miss it. Tried the F2P version recently but everyone told me honestly there's no way I could do end game without subbing. EQ2 was fun at first and I thought I'd stick with it. So I bought the expansion and my chosen race/class. Then they made all races/classes free the next week, released a new expansion and told me at every turn I had to pay to do X. Left them both. Thinking P1999 could be something maybe?

Planetside 2

Love PS2, play it every once in awhile. A model they actually didn't screw up I think.

TSW

Bought it when it was on sale. Not a bad game, but excessive zombies, super solo content and that icky combat made me leave.

Tera

Played it on release and then again when it went F2P. I just can't seem to get into it and hearing bad things about the endgame anyway. PSIhatesidesaddle.

Aion

Played it on release and recently when it went F2P. Was so excited for the whole abyss thing, get there and it's a real abyss. Not a soul tob e found. Apparently everyone sits on fast track.

Scarlet Blade

Just no.

Blade & Soul

It was alright, but no trinity saddened me. 

Dragon's Prophet/Final Fantasy: ARR

Not really enjoying either of them. ARR could be ok but it will be sub based  =(

Oh this list...There's definitely more I can't think of ATM. Is it possible I've tried everything and just nothing out there for me?

Comments

• DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78
    If you check this again, give VG another shot. They just completely re-wrote the network layer of the engine to get rid of the network lag (ping). It's made a considerable difference. Feel free to look me up if you do, I'm always down to help out if I'm on. Same name.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I hate to laugh, but the fact that this topic is even being created kind of shows how screwed up the MMO market is right now.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by Dirkin
    If you check this again, give VG another shot. They just completely re-wrote the network layer of the engine to get rid of the network lag (ping). It's made a considerable difference. Feel free to look me up if you do, I'm always down to help out if I'm on. Same name.

Are the character animations still crap?  Is combat still crap?

You make me like charity

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I'd say try GW1, DayZ, DCUO, or Rift when it goes F2P. Or just try a single player game like Skyrim.

I'm happy with GW2, unfortunately, so I haven't gotten too much exposure to many other MMOs from the last 8 months or  so.

EDITED: I originally included Darkfall, but you wanted a F2P or B2P

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• krsna27krsna27 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Hello, check out Moonlight Online.
  • SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

Play Rift, its great and highly polished.

You can right now download Rift Lite and play the first 20 lvls for free. If you play using Raptr.com it has a promo that will give you a free copy+the first expansion+30days game time for logging 10hrs of gameplay. That should keep you busy until Rift goes completely free to play on June 12th.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

I suggest you give Rift a shot.  The game is going Free to Play soon, but you can already get the game + expansion for free from Raptr.  You can read more details about the Raptr promotion here: http://raptr.com/High_strung/news/5176e8e371abcdb7e2/rift-takes-raptr-rewards-by-storm-  Basically, just install Raptr, download the Free version at http://www.riftgame.com/en/lite and play for a few hours to earn some in-game items, full game and a 30 day subscription.  The game will already be converted to full Free to Play by the time your subscription runs out and you'll get some unique items in the process.

I'd just wait for Wildstar if you can't get into Rift as you've already played virtually all the decent F2P MMORPG's available.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    The best game for grouping is ...Dungeons and Dragons Online
  • DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by asmkm22

The character animations are not the best, but those are no big deal to me. I like the combat. Anything else?

The character animations are not the best, but those are no big deal to me. I like the combat. Anything else?

Nope, those were the main reasons I couldn't get into the game.  There could be tons of other problems, but I never played long enough to find them.  There's no reason for games to continue releasing with bad animations.

You make me like charity

• perran7691perran7691 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I say try Rift. As others have said it will soon be free to play and has lots of opportunity to group up in 5 mans, 10 and 20 man raids, Chronicles and Rifts/Invasions. Not to mention Instant Adventures to help with the leveling.
  • ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

Nope, those were the main reasons I couldn't get into the game.  There could be tons of other problems, but I never played long enough to find them.  There's no reason for games to continue releasing with bad animations.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was put off by Vanguard's character animations.

• kiravelikiraveli Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Oh wow! I waited a few days for someone to reply and my thread slowly drifted away so I figured I was hopeless. Then I got an email tonight saying I got a reply. I assumed it was someone telling me about rift and suddenly conversation!

Thanks all for the replies! I did not know about vanguard changing the lag issues so I will definitely check that out again. I already did the raptr promo and got the bonuses for rift but I only leveled to 5 before leaving. Funny you say animations can ruin a game for you because rifts hunched over derpy running animations drove me crazy. That and the classes/races were kinda stale. Now that it's going f2p still will be worth looking into.

Why laugh? I tried to be as thorough as possible without being too spoiled. I have nothing against subs/well done cash shops either, was just not interested in dropping a ton of money into something I won't stay in.

I'll go ahead and be honest though - resubbed to WoW a few days ago.