Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] WildStar: The Summer of WildStar is Upon Us

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Carbine Studios is ramping up coverage of WildStar, a game that is beginning to look like a genre changer. We spent a long while speaking with Jeremy Gaffney and have a tome of new information to share. Read on and then tell us what you think in the comments.

Carbine Studios’ WildStar is gaining more and more steam in the hearts and minds of expectant MMO gamers as it drives through Closed Beta on its way to launching later this year.  Mixing the traditions of theme-park MMOs with the sensibilities of play-how-you want sandbox MMOs, WildStar seems like it’s poised to please a lot of gamers when it finally does launch. That is, if they can make good on all of the design principles and promises they hold so dearly... because lordy, if they do pull it all off? Carbine’s flagship title is going to be a world rife with fun for just about every MMO player out there.  We caught up with Executive Producer Jeremy Gaffney to find out how Closed Beta 1 has gone, and what’s coming up in Closed Beta 2 and beyond.

Read more of Bill Murphy's WildStar: The Summer of WildStar is Upon Us.

Crimson Isle is filled with plenty of places to explore and climb to.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Raids that evolve weekly ?

Crafting recipes tailored to your specific character ?

How much better can this get ? 

Death to the YouTube walkthrough's !!!

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    I just hope that they don't follow the path of elitist e-peen stoking shittards when it comes to raiding.  Sure you should get rewards, however there should be alternative end-game content with somewhat comparable rewards and not a raid-or-die mentality which was the state of WoW when I left it in Cata.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by furbans
    I just hope that they don't follow the path of elitist e-peen stoking shittards when it comes to raiding.  Sure you should get rewards, however there should be alternative end-game content with somewhat comparable rewards and not a raid-or-die mentality which was the state of WoW when I left it in Cata.

Its too late they want old school hard WoW style raids.  Thats why they are going to 20 and 40 man raids.   Which will never work in today's MMO world.  

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by danwest58

Its too late they want old school hard WoW style raids.  Thats why they are going to 20 and 40 man raids.   Which will never work in today's MMO world.  

I think there's a rather large market for that style of end-game.  Unfortunately, I don't think that market is interested in a WoW clone.  They want something that looks and play in new and exciting ways.

You make me like charity

I don't know, I actually think that 10-12 mans are a bit small.  I just don't want to see where it's either raid or GTFO which is what I felt for WoW, for PvEers at least.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

i don't get hyped at all. i learned my lesson anymore.

waiting for this one, teso and archeage. none of them though will be on my hard disk, until at least a month passes after release.

no more pre ordering, no more throwing away money for me

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by asmkm22

I think there's a rather large market for that style of end-game.  Unfortunately, I don't think that market is interested in a WoW clone.  They want something that looks and play in new and exciting ways.

How do you figure when 92% of all WoW raiding guilds are 10 man.  Rift 20 man raiding guilds have a huge problem getting enough people for 20 man raiding.  Also add in the fact that other games with 12/24 man raiding that better than 90% of those raiding do the 12 man raids.  SWTOR has the majority of its raiding community doing 8 man raids.  LOTRO is also getting out of raiding since there is little interest in it.  So how is there a Large Market for large raid groups?  There is none.  Its a small part of the vocal minority that wants it and what the market is showing.  

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

This is the only game I would pay to be in BETA, it is like WOW 2. Think that Blizzard will be in big problems for next expansion.

Guys from Carbon are silent for last few years and like ants working hard on their game.

Only thing I don`t like is that NC Soft is behind them and everything they signed is boring like hell (Aion and GW2 are best examples).  

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by asmkm22

How do you figure when 92% of all WoW raiding guilds are 10 man.  Rift 20 man raiding guilds have a huge problem getting enough people for 20 man raiding.  Also add in the fact that other games with 12/24 man raiding that better than 90% of those raiding do the 12 man raids.  SWTOR has the majority of its raiding community doing 8 man raids.  LOTRO is also getting out of raiding since there is little interest in it.  So how is there a Large Market for large raid groups?  There is none.  Its a small part of the vocal minority that wants it and what the market is showing.  

WoW raiding guilds aren't even needed anymore, with the way they've simplified the whole thing.  I saw first hand a lot of the larger guilds basically fall apart during Wrath, because of the some changes to raids.  Cata only made it worse, especially when the raid finder came out.  So of course by now most "raid guilds" are just 10 man guilds: it's the direction the developers took the game.

As for Rift, the guild I was in that did raids had a hard time getting and keeping raiders, but that was because the game is very much a one-trick pony.  You level up, run some raids, and then get burned out because there's very little else to do.  You can PvP a little, or level another character (through the exact same quests, which isn't all that fun), but the general experience is the same.  They made a WoW clone and, surprise surprise, not many people like it long enough to commit to end-game.

SWtOR is a whole other bag of problems.  Pre-F2P, the problem was that the game simply wasn't interesting enough to keep people subscribing, so of course end-game participation suffered.  Guilds were running 8-man ops because they had no other choice.  Post-F2P hasn't been much better, because all of the new player activity is bottom-heavy.  The first half of the game is chock full of players, but after that it's much lighter.  Those that do make it to the end-game, either have to subscribe or they have to buy into weekly passes for the end-game stuff.  According to their last quarterly, subscriptions haven't exactly risen beyond the 500k mark, so yeah; end-game still suffers.

LotRO has always been a niche game, and raiding was never it's strong point.  Like SWtOR, the F2P conversion did wonders for the early parts of the game, but very little for the actual end-game content.

Basically, the last game that had a thriving raiding community was WoW, and even that went away once Blizzard stripped the complexity out of the game.  The huge community of raiders there didn't just die, so they are still out there.  I'm not going to pretend that there's some kind of 10-million-strong raiding group out there waiting, but I do think there's a good 2 or 3 million strong community of people who do enjoy raiding and aren't satisfied with what's available now.  Better yet, those guys tend not to pussyfoot around and jump from one game to another after a few months.  They find a game they like, stick to it, and a community grows around them.

You make me like charity

• LukoooneLukooone Member UncommonPosts: 153
    I agree A LOT with Asmkm22 specially in his last phrase, very well said.

"They find a game they like, stick to it, and a community grows around them."

But, but, but he attacked me when I was low life! 

Yes, HE DID, why you cant do the same to him? 

Uf that will take me a lot of time... 

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

• ShynxShynx Member Posts: 1
    very well said.
  • JonestownJuiceJonestownJuice Member Posts: 21
    I can't believe this game is going to exist- it's almost too good to be true.  If you were to go down my checklist for the perfect MMO, Wildstar would check off all the points.
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Raids for hc raiders without any future dumping down. Who cant beat it, cant beat it :)

Release please!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

"access to the Exile ("Good Guys") races"  ...and why is that exactly? just because they have Sheldon's enchanted bunny on their side, or because Kit Brinny is cute while wetting her britches? :)

Just kidding, I too plan to make my future settler an Exile, but my explorer will be at the Dominion...

• MrSchnuffiMrSchnuffi Member Posts: 25
    I think 40man raids will be a rare thing a few months after release and 20man raids will get the norm. That`s okay and I don't think that getting 20 people for your raid is a problem when the rest of the game is fun (there is enough to do beside raiding). For example AoC has 24man raids and even the community of AoC is not really big you can almost every day raid the lower tiers (T1 and T2) with pugs, you can even choose between different pugs (with pugs I mean a guild starts the raid and fills the ranks with people from the chat). Some can argue that this is because most guilds don't have enough people to raid but it enables players without a big guild (or any guild at all) to visit the raids. Even for the higher tiers (T3 or T4) raids get usually filled with people from someones friendlist or the chat.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

How is it genre changing exactly?

Reading above and looking at the videos it seems to have the same stuff other MMOs have, albeit presented with a different skin. 

Factions, instanced PvP, Dungeons, Raiding, holy trinity, etc etc.

Nothing in the article convinces me that the game is particularly genre changing.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527

Your entire argument is path of least resistance. As soon as those rewards are tied to 40 mans people will buck up and do them. Those who are "casual" (their term not mine) will have other elder games built for them. And no, the gear cannot be equal. It completely breaks the progression model to do so.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

Reading above and looking at the videos it seems to have the same stuff other MMOs have, albeit presented with a different skin. 

Nothing in the article convinces me that the game is particularly genre changing.

I fail to see this also.

Not that I see a problem with sticking to a decent formula , I don't need every mmo to try and reinvent the wheel I already enjoy , just give me a different one to try.

My main issue with Wildstar is I can't quite grasp what's so suddenly great about it ? Not knocking the game , I just don't see the sudden massive hoopla about how its going to be the end all be all.

When I watched a video of it I thought of the Tauren starting area in WoW , and I mean , literally , I thought it was the starting area for the Tauren's in WoW.

With all the "wow copying" bashing other games have gotten , how does this one get a pass ?

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

Have to agree with this. Wildstar has been the #1 Game in development on this site for along time now, but after I looked at it, it just reminds me of an up-dated WoW. Like WoW 2 or if WoW was released this year.

I don't get it. I know this site is home for the sandbox loving MMO players, players who want MMO's to be worlds, not just theme parks. I don't see why the game is so hyped on here especially.

Have I missed something about this game? Why is it the "next big thing" all of a sudden? (Serious question here)

• GreenKnight1776GreenKnight1776 Member Posts: 57

I'm still not sure why Wildstar is the "next big thing" other than the same hype machine I saw for GW2. And I mean, the hype from the editors (especially the lead editor) of this site for GW2 prior to launch was huge. Every article about how amazing this feature or that innovation was. 

And now? GW2 is kind of treated as something (lead editor) does in the background during broadcasts.

I imagine Wildstar will get the same treatment, along with ESO, Arche Age etc.

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 422
    This game looks fun, which makes it different from all the others.  Personally I have been burned by hype on other titles as well but I think and hope Wildstar will deliver.  You say 40 man raids are hard to keep up with, not really, when you have a fun game that people want to play filling a raid is easy.  You can't fill a raid in Rift when the servers are next to empty and WoW is all anti-social ez mode so no point there.  GW2 tried to break away from the formula and unfortunately did not do so well by the hardcore gamers standards(game is way to casual for me) which is hurting its numbers.  Personally thank the heavens for Wildstar im sick of carebear pve in my mmorpg.
  • modusmodus Member UncommonPosts: 69
    I've been interested awhile, the more I hear, the more I like.

Hope they pull everything off.
  • Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    This is the mmo I have wanted for a long time. If they keep with what they have already shown, they will do well. Looks like we will soon get even more information. The way of these CBTs, makes me feel August isn't a far fetched claim for launch.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Originally posted by theniffrig

Have to agree with this. Wildstar has been the #1 Game in development on this site for along time now, but after I looked at it, it just reminds me of an up-dated WoW. Like WoW 2 or if WoW was released this year.

I don't get it. I know this site is home for the sandbox loving MMO players, players who want MMO's to be worlds, not just theme parks. I don't see why the game is so hyped on here especially.

Have I missed something about this game? Why is it the "next big thing" all of a sudden? (Serious question here)

ill try to go around stupidity in your post and give you an answer,

as simple comparison to how its different from gw2, well first off gw2 claimed to be tectonic shift in mmorpgs, what it was in reality bland bag of lies , personally i never got into gw2 because of straight up lies from anet, not because it was bad game( while not my kinda game i can see it being a quality game)

wildstar isnt claiming to be genre changer, completely random and dynamic and all those things gw2 promised and never deliverered

There is only one thing wildstar is trying to accomplish, and that is to turn back the time, its catering for older generation ( obviously everyone else too )  40 man hard raids, like old wow raids, reading about warplots remined me about old AV, by far best pvp expierence i had in any game, and probably best gaming experience ever and i am not even pvper , it was just that good,

And they are trying to  bring back discovery into mmorpgs , you know how i  played wow after tbc?  either addons guiding me , or webpage on another monitor , not because i needed them , because it was faster and it was there for me to take

And i was in top 10 to hit lvl cap, i was in guild that would clear raiding content first on server, or second, being hardcore doesnt mean = endless time, in fact really skilled/hardcore guilds would raid 2-3 days, while most others would 5+ days , hardcore guild would clear raid in 2 hours, while you would sit there for 4 hours

Being that 1% doesnt mean having no life, it means being better at game that everyone else, 40 man raids werent hard because you couldnt find 40 people, 10 man raids arent easer because getting 10 is easier,

40 man Raids were harder because finding 40 people that ARE good is extremely hard, 10 man raids are easier, because finding good 10 players is easier , because monitoring 10 people is easier, and well frankly 10 man raids were a bit easier , and were mostly done in group of friends or that selected party from your big guild

But it was that 1% and those 40 man raids, that made wow a giant, wow was great game to begin with , but there were 3 types players in wow, those bent on raiding , those that were in for early pvp ( by early i mean vanila, open world, alterac valley, which were far superior to all wow have to offer now )  and those that wanted to get into raiding or be like those elite, join that elite guild, people knew each other, reputation meant a lot and community was great

None of that currently exist in any mmorpg , Wildstar is aiming to being that back or they atleast understand what made wow so popular while most other devs clearly a blind as f...

Wildstar is genre changer, thats mmorpg tagline that they stickied over this interview,  not wildstar one , wildstar  is genre turnaround 

anyway too much of my broken english rambling

Originally posted by theniffrig

The game from what is released has nothing that is "genre changing."  As I told my brother who is very intrigued by Wildstar, I feel that instead of trying to differentiate and be unique in the world of MMOs, Wildstar embraces what is tried and true and add onto that. 

Does the game give me the feel of WoW?  Most certainly.  Does it add more than what is the norm?  Yes.  Does the game look fun?  Most certainly.

As long as the game is fun, good quality, a sensible buisness model, and have a variety of content then I'll be happy.  I'm not looking for a game changing MMO but one that is fun and enjoyable.  WoW was incredible fun but I've played that for year when Cata came round and stopped playing then, been looking for a good MMO to fill that void since then and all have fallen utterly short of that order.... and I'm a sucker for a good humor game, reminds me of Space Quest.