Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: You Heard It Right - Rift is Going F2P

Comments

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by lizardbones
    Wow. They are being pretty free with the content. I wonder how quickly we can get someone complaining about F2P ruining the industry in this thread.

I imagine before we'll hit Page 2.

Dammit, I was wrong.

Set the post count per page to the maximum and you'll probably be right. image

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Planned on returning to Rift this Summer to try out the expansion, guess I'll wait till this launches.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Storm legion purchasers get a bit shafted.

All you get are the new souls, which will probably sell in the cash shop for much less than the expansion, which didnt release all that long ago.

They probably should throw in a few more sweeteners for SL purchasers.  

• pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173

You Heard It Right - Rift is Going F2P

LAL! Who cares about this old wow clone with vapid laggy world, it should be F2P at launch =)

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

coming back after a year out, with most of my rl and mmo friends. see you in telara

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Another sad news about good game forced to go f2p. Just hope they at least adopt some good model so sub players will still find enough quality.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    best f2p model until now. check it

• SnigerknudSnigerknud Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Great news, cya ingame soon :)
  • morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Hope Trion can pull it off and don't sell out on it. Still got great respect for the devs and the way they handled the game. Im not a active player but a mentally supporter

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Deeter

Bout **** time

This was the one game I was always shocked by that hasn't gone f2p yet

im still waiting for DAOC to go ftp

• JackMackJackMack Member UncommonPosts: 21

I subscribed to Rift from launch until Jan 2013, when I stopped due to what I felt was a grind and outdated kill x of this and that.  I truly hope the F2P conversion brings enough people in to ensure the new players can experience the dynamic Rift system as it was meant to be played: in a zone filled with players.  The Major Rifts were a major draw for early players.  The other change that TRION should consider, imo, is to go back to the original soul system. I was never a fan of the dumbed down auto option they switched to @ July 2011.  The original system required players to try builds and not just auto build to the most effective Recommended set.  If TRION wants to go F2P, good on them to keep a solid IP going...just stop coddling players. Let them sink or swim on their own choices, or at least learn to google builds.

• SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217

It doesnt change anything.

A boring game is still a boring game with or without a subscription.

People also mention double dipping quite a lot, how is this not the ultimate double dip?

Trion is making you pay how many times for the exact same service?

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by Robokapp

it's cheaper...but is it better ?

According to who? Misplaced reply is misplaced.

Rift is great, but a little too PvE focused. If it was b2p in the beginning I might would have played it still. 

I just wish there were more focus on PvP.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Deeter

Bout **** time

This was the one game I was always shocked by that hasn't gone f2p yet

im still waiting for DAOC to go ftp

It won't, ever. IT will be shut down before it goes F2P.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• nicolino15nicolino15 Member UncommonPosts: 15

I've been subbed for 7 months, the fact Rift going F2P is totally cool, let's be realistic, P2P games are no longer a choice for many, times have changed. This game is awesome IMO, people will like it a lot.

STFU n00b !

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    I just hope they're not trying to milk the cow for all she's worth before they toss her into the grinder. 
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Originally posted by Robokapp

it's cheaper...but is it better ?

Irks me when people can only respond to any fair point in cliche internet speak.

Robo, I think if people found it boring and not 'worth' £2.50 a week to play then they will probably find it boring now.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Got the email on it this morning. Ill have to go back and revisit it once its F2P. image

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid

Got the email on it this morning. Ill have to go back and revisit it once its F2P. image

Can I ask, why did you leave before?

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

The model looks pretty decent, nothing gated with unlocks, yes I'm looking at you SWTOR and a reputable dev team that actually interacts with the players.

I've been playing RiFT since beta and it's one hell of a good game, If you want a classic MMORPG look no further. I just hope the updates continue as they have been and don't dwindle and become trivial.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

They said they will be selling dungeon gear in the cash shop.  This is an extreme no-no to me, fluff and cosmetics only.

They are doing it the wrong way, by expecting to make their money off micro transactions and not subs.  That means the long term goal will be to entice people to buy stuff as opposed to entice people to sub.  Which *will* hurt game quality.  

They also said this has been planned before SL, so they have some very pissed off yearly subscribers that will have time left on their sub that they dont get fair value for.  If this was EA or SoE they would be getting absolutely blasted for these things right now, but since they are Trion they get yet another pass.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ Originally posted by Robokapp it's cheaper...but is it better ?

Irks me when people can only respond to any fair point in cliche internet speak.

Robo, I think if people found it boring and not 'worth' £2.50 a week to play then they will probably find it boring now.

That's what I've mostly found with games in the past. If I didn't want to play the game with a sub, playing it without a sub isn't going to last that long. Oddly enough, buying a game that doesn't have a sub seems to work much better.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid

Can I ask, why did you leave before?

I got tired of the Fantasy MMO genre mainly. I wanted more Sci-Fi games. When I did play I played for I think 5 months. Loved the different class combos.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Coolit

I've been playing RiFT since beta and it's one hell of a good game, If you want a classic MMORPG look no further. I just hope the updates continue as they have been and don't dwindle and become trivial.

Rift is the epitome of today's MMORPG and the direct opposite of classic.  Designed to be a game first and foremost with little emphasis on the virtual world aspect.  And from november 2012 to June 2013 is 7 months.  So a major update every 7 months, and you want things to continue as they have been?  

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Coolit

Rift is the epitome of today's MMORPG and the direct opposite of classic.  Designed to be a game first and foremost with little emphasis on the virtual world aspect.  And from november 2012 to June 2013 is 7 months.  So a major update every 7 months, and you want things to continue as they have been?  

November was actually an expansion, RiFT is regularly updated with content and weekly hotfixes so yes I want it to continue, so before talking nonsense please do some research first :)

Content Updates

http://eu.riftgame.com/en/game/updates/carnival.php

Weekly Hotfixes

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/patch-notes/

If they keep it like this I'll be more than happy.