Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Neverwinter: Foundry Focus - The Mark of the BtG

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Rob Lashley continues his series for MMORPG.com that is based around Neverwinter. Called Foundry Focus, Rob shines the spotlight on a specific Foundry quest each week. In this week's article, Rob takes a look at "The Mark of the BtG". Check it out and then tell us about your favorite Foundry quests in the comments.

Bobcatt1313 does a excellent job of using lore from the Neverwinter Saga to create a back-story for his own original tale. This mission can be lengthy if you take the time to read all of the information presented to you during the quest chain. For those of you that prefer to click your way through adventures if you select the orange dialog text you will skip to very end of each NPCs text chain. I would not suggest you do this.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Neverwinter: Foundry Focus - The Mark of the BtG.

It's a ghostly good time

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Has anyone played the Foundry missions since the nerf? Is it still worth it in any way, shape, or form? The stories were cool, but if I can't get decent progression from them, then I won't be using them to level when I can get back on.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    I ran this quest post nerf. The amount of experience you earn is ok. You will level faster in my experience doing normal quests because they are faster and you can work on more than one at the same time.
  • wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 3

I play the foundry missions primarily for the variety. I like Cryptic's missions, but they are all a bit over-polished and seem like they were written by a committee. 

As much as I love my mission, I'm voting for Mark of the BtG. Be sure to play his sequel (and mine) as well.

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Leveling is way too fast in Neverwinter wish they would tone it down abit i know it wont happen just a personal wish .

i need to try these foundry missons i just dont trust them some players just make them in a way to power level to max .

• ranncoreranncore Member Posts: 93

The "nerf" doesn't affect anyone who uses foundry missions for anything other than the explicit purpose of exploiting foundry mechanics for XP. Loot drops were totally unaffected, and Foundry is still the best XP in the game. 

It's just that now, you can't push 100 ogres off a ledge to gain a level instantly. 

If you weren't an exploiter, you won't notice any change at all. 

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Currently the fastest way to level is pvp....afk or otherwise, so the chat is full of "LFM afk pvp"

People are now levelling through to 60 purely by afk pvp.

There is also the GWF stat exploit, with this class now able to farm end lvl dungeons. Coupled with the mass of players who exploited the Foundry xp, the economy is now screwed up. 

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

Currently the fastest way to level is pvp....afk or otherwise, so the chat is full of "LFM afk pvp"

People are now levelling through to 60 purely by afk pvp.

There is also the GWF stat exploit, with this class now able to farm end lvl dungeons. Coupled with the mass of players who exploited the Foundry xp, the economy is now screwed up. 

There is also an exploit with at least one dungeon, not sure if it's all, but I was watching streamers do the Pirate heroic, kill the boss while ignoring adds, die to the adds (a complete wipe) then come back and loot and kill the boss again, allowing them to farm it for seals and the drops.

The game is fun itself but overall there are too many imbalances and exploits that were obvious (Cryptic already went through this with the Architect System from City of Heroes and people exploited the hell out of it to do easy farms).  There is no excuse for this with almost the same system, on top of the fact that is an "open beta" is a bunch of bullshit considered they're allowing full purchases and cash shop money to flow.

• SwobyJSwobyJ Member Posts: 80

And really, they should have realized people would have exploited the Foundry, and AFK PvP exploits (I mean REALLY).

However, given how fast leveling is *anyway*, it ultimately won't matter in a month, with most at least casual players at or around Lv 60 regardless of exploits.

It kinda makes leveling redundant for our mains (alts may have to level legitimately - we're getting more classes after all), but the economy for an MMO like this gets loaded at the backend very quickly anyway. It's just instead of "People are leveling and are mostly nearing max" it's "get to Lv 60 and see where the crowd is".

Whatever. I'm leveling through all non-exploit avenues and exploiters+grinders can just sit in Neverwinter wondering where all the content is XD

• DarkHoop13DarkHoop13 Member Posts: 2

I will cancel out Winins vote for mine and vote for A Kidnapping in Blacklake. He's a great dude, and his quests are wonderful! I am happy to just get a write up!!!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I have run through some amazing foundry missions. Some of the best quest content I've ever done in a game. This game has a lot of bad going on but the foundry is very fun.

Of course it's the part of the game cryptic didn't make the content for just to tools for other too....which is funny in it's own way.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

I agree..there are some really clever, well thought-out and sometimes humorous tales spun. I love dropping in on a foundry quest between every other quest line or so.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    A Kidnapping in Black Lake

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    As a tool to level up as quick as possible, the Foundry is now redundant. But that was never really the point. Its about the experience and the journey, not the destination.  Also its still the best place to get ID scrolls and potions from. Good to do them now and again to top up.
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa
    A Kidnapping in Black Lake

Hell yes to this. It felt like an adventure game, with you searching for clues, navigating the place, etc. Second half of the quest is a bit weaker, but the first half when you are in the Inn? PHENOMENAL. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94
    "Bark at the moon"  Nice! I thought of OZZY the first time I looked at module 1 as well.

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Nice column with a quest I'll definitely put on my list. With the lines of "This quest ties directly into the canon established during the Neverwinter Saga by R.A. Salvatore."  and  'This mission can be lengthy if you take the time to read all of the information presented to you during the quest chain." it seems exactly the type of missions I'm looking for in Foundry (at least in STO so far)

Sadly I won't play it yet, I plan to avoid the lore-heavy missions until I finish re-reading the books :) just to refresh my memories. Not the whole truckload of R.A. S books of course, only the 3 books I have from the Neverwinter saga so I hope it won't take too long...

But it means I can't make a fair vote with checking only one of the two. No worries though, you can't go wrong with the Zen anyway, I think both quests are worthy for being the first Focus winner (based on the column in case of the latter).

Edit: and yep, '80s rocked :)

@postal Glad I wasn't the only one!

@Po_gg you know there are 4 books? That being said even if you haven't read the books the quest will make sense.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    @postal Glad I wasn't the only one!

@Po_gg you know there are 4 books? That being said even if you haven't read the books the quest will make sense.

Yep, that's why I added that I have only 3 so I'll finish quicker :) (when the last time I was on a Salvatore rush the 4th wasn't released yet).

I just want to play it with updated background to notice every hint and tidbit, it makes the lore-focused missions much more fun, especially if the designer makes a spin-off or a new story-arch for an existing character.

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

I just did the Mark of the BtG Foundry quest after reading this article. It's really well done and I enjoyed it alot, BUT.... I got no reward at the end. I talked to Frinko and got nothing.

Anyone know what's up?

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• TikoRumblegutTikoRumblegut Member Posts: 1
    The Mark of the BtG!
  • OriginOfWavesOriginOfWaves Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Kidnapping in Blacklake for me. even donated some AD to the guy. great quest mate
    @TheMaelstorm it could be a new bug with the system. I did get a reward when I ran it last weekend.
    That wouldn't be Bobcatt's fault but Cryptic's.
  • TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    @TheMaelstorm it could be a new bug with the system. I did get a reward when I ran it last weekend.
    That wouldn't be Bobcatt's fault but Cryptic's.

Yeah I know it's not the author's fault. But since I'm not getting a reward the quest isn't completing, so I can't even rate it. I liked it enough that I want to tip him when I review it. Hopefully they will get the issue addressed soon.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

Gotcha. So should I count you as a vote for him or Kidnapping?
  • JackMackJackMack Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Kidnapping in Blacklake...barely. I really liked them both very much. As for the not being able to complete, I have only run into that issue when trying to run my own Foundry mission. This I had attributed to the system recognizing how weak and feeble my submitted quest was in comparison to both of these entries.