Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] DC Universe Online: Delving into Origin Crisis

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

DC Universe Online players have a lot to look forward to with today's launch of Origin Crisis, the latest major update to the game. We scored a developer tour of some of the content in Origin Crisis and have a full preview to share. See what's new in DCUO and then let us know what you're most looking forward to in the comments.

Yesterday, we had the chance to sit in with DC Universe Online’s Creative Director Jens Andersen to tour DCUO’s 7th DLC: Origin Crisis. The update has been available for the past week to those members of the DCUO community who are Legendary subscribers, but goes live today (May 14th) for all to purchase at the price of $9.99.  Origin Crisis not only includes the brand new Quantum power set based on the manipulation of time and space, but also two new endgame raids, four new operations, and the all-new “Iconic Anomalies” which have you playing solo as either Bizzaro or the Huntress through a computer simulation of each character’s origin story.  It’s lot of bang for the buck, and Jens gave us a nice overview of what the DLC brings to the table.

Read more of Bill Murphy's DC Universe Online: Delving into Origin Crisis.

The new Quantum powers are a sight to behold.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Let's hope it is better then the clusterfudge that was home turf.

New power set looks neat

This have been a good conversation

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350
    I've gotta say, I've tried coming back to this game twice now and each time the reason I don't stick it out more than a few days is the community.  If you're not combat rating XX then you're not worth speaking to.  A returning player is forever doomed to be ignored because they're deemed not useful.  I pity new players..
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

well that goes for every game with a gear score.

The trick is to find some good people to run with and ignore the dim-whits in the global chat. Most of them want to be carried through a spotless run without putting any effort in them self. =P

This have been a good conversation

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Seems like SOE always forgets a lesson or two on the way.  They needed to add simple solo quests for higher tier gear in EQ2's Velious expansion because the population was too top heavy.  No one did the earlier raids.

I am sure that is what will happen here.  If they are trying to get new players....well, they just shut that idea down totally.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Bill hit the nail on the head with the gear treadmill and DCUO devs ignoring returning players, players with alts & newbies. This catering to the (growing ever smaller) hardcore grinding players is what's going to ultimately kill the game. I don't get it - why make that new solo content gear restricted? It's like they don't WANT new players or returning players. Sad since DCUO is pretty solid game play, but the devs, or whoever is ordering them, has zero clue how to get/keep returning and new players, despite it being painfully obvious. You'd think SOE would learn from past mistakes instead of constantly repeating them and expecting different results... hey, isn't that the definition of insanity...?

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Pyuk
    Bill hit the nail on the head with the gear treadmill and DCUO devs ignoring returning players, players with alts & newbies. This catering to the (growing ever smaller) hardcore grinding players is what's going to ultimately kill the game. I don't get it - why make that new solo content gear restricted? It's like they don't WANT new players or returning players. Sad since DCUO is pretty solid game play, but the devs, or whoever is ordering them, has zero clue how to get/keep returning and new players, despite it being painfully obvious. You'd think SOE would learn from past mistakes instead of constantly repeating them and expecting different results... hey, isn't that the definition of insanity...?

Agreed with most of that. I honestly thought Chris Cao was the cancer on this project. But they canned him and the cancer still spreads, so.....

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    I have tried a few times as well, its the problem with gear treadmill games, they alienate new users or alineate the people who have been grinding forever, there is no middle ground. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I played this game a 'little' in beta and totally overlooked it. Maybe I had burnout at the time or summat. This last week though I thought I'd give it a go again and, tbh, I'm totally blown away by it.

A Superhero MMO that does loot and gear right and there's so much to do. I am constantly stopping to weigh up my options and figure out which I should tackle first. Everyone playing the game says the good stuff doesn't come until you reach level 30.. where tons of new things open up for you apparently. I have so many options at level 15 and it sounds like it's going to get a lot better.

I am now a legendary member as of today, purely because I want all the DLC available..

As a new player, I'm not really put off by some DLC stuff being put behind the endgame.. I mean, it's all new to me. I can see how some returning players might not like it though.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408

Much of this dlc's content seems aimed squarely at people looking for a return to difficult endgame in DCUO.  I've never been much of a raider, so I'm still working my way up the tiers.  One thing that gets overlooked at times is how the game has systems in place to encourage players to go back and play through earlier content-- in the form of collecting styles and completing feats.  Unlike some games where nobody is running lower tier raids, I've never experienced that issue in DCUO. 

What I like most about their endgame, though, is the ability to run solos, duos, and 4-man content to gear up, not necessarily having to deal with the added drama that comes from needing a full raid group.  That and the ability to steadily progress without relying on the RNG gods to get better equipment.  It's definitely a slower way to go compared to the more typical raid scenario but it's nice to have more options.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

It's not so much about the fact that the content is gated by a gear score, but that the community as a whole in the game has zero interest in you unless you're already at the top.  There's no groups helping out new or returning players, heck you can't even get into a league unless you have Combat rating 80 somehting.

Good game, bad community.  Unfortunately the bad community sours the milk and there's no reason to play the game.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    You guys seem to forget SOE has been living in the past for years and will never change. They had one good title that did well and that was everquest years ago. SOE hasn't made a good game sense and the cancer in the company is the higher ups like Smed. EQ2 sucked hardcore at release and people left in droves for wow as soon as it released. SWG was a total train wreck as well with complete meltdowns of their combat system 3 times before they made the game some quest based NGE crap. The problem with SOE is the only people they listen to is the forum whiners that are raiders and screaming about quitting. DCUO was a game i wanted to love but couldn't ever bring myself playing it more than a week or two each time I went back to it.  Planetside 2 isnt even hardly talked about anymore even on this site. People expecting EQ next to be anything different than their pasts mistakes I think are going to be sadly mistaken. I really wish they would learn from their mistakes , DCUO is one of those games that is almost there but was just rushed and never prioritized and its why you end up with a bunch of fetch and kill quests and just a bunch of gear treadmill progression. It sucks to because I really wanted to love this game more than most mmorpgs I've played.
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

DCUO is still a solid game, and has a lot to offer, but like all gear treadmill games it went too far into trying to make sure players were "ready" for content.  

What SOE need to do is add more incentive for the people at the "end game" to run the earlier ops rather than just gear, the housing, feat and appearance systems are all almost there but not quite.

But its still a great fun game that will at the very least provide you with a couple of months of entertainment if you are new to it.  Combat is a lot of fun, the atmospherics are really nice and if you are a DC Lore hound you will love it even more.

If you are looking to raid though, like everyone above said, be prepared for hard work getting to the tier where the current raiders are, but it is possible.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Didn't like DCUO in the first place.  Awful PC UI.  It's an MMO designed for the PS3, and apparently it doesn't even do well there.  Sounds like it's gotten even worse.  Though Gearscore weenie groups are useful, as it can tell you who not to play with.

Of course, DC can be happy that Marvel Heroes is pretty terrible too.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.