Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will WildStar be the next Big MMO?

Comments

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by danwest58
    Originally posted by The1ceQueen

I doubt Wildstar will be the next big hit. I suspect the next big hit mmo will have to be different & newly innovative. We're sick of more of the same in mmos.

Yep agreed.  The problem is the small ran fan base of 40 man raids see a goldmine here when its just a mold hill.  It took 5 Million people to make 40 man raids happen.  WildStar will not have that community for all people think .  Alls people have to do is look at WoW and see that 92% of all raiding guilds are 10 man raiding guilds.  Logic can tell you that 40 man raids equals failed.  Dont believe me?  Rift tried to bring back 20 man raids, how many subs does that game have?  500K at best, most likely less than 300K and guess what 20 man raiding is failing in Rift unless you are a hardcore player.  

I played on a private vanilla WoW server a year ago and trust me, 40 man raids happened all the time. And there was around 2500 players divided on both sides, not 5 millions.. The reason why it didn't happen for many people in vanilla WoW, was because:

-PUGs were non existant

-Ppl were not used to MMORPGs

-Ppl were scared of raids because they heard that they were harder than they actually were.

-Raids were extremely time consuming and so were instances

-A lot of people had no idea how to gear or spec their character. I remember seeing lots of PvP specced warriors trying to tank in green+blue dps gear.

I'm sure that Wildstar will not be the next big thing, because nothing ever will. It's hyped, yes, and a lot of people will be dissapointed because you always expect more than a game can deliver. But 40 man raids can without a doubt happen and the game will survive.

Originally posted by FoxyShoxzy
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

I would disagree that it is "dieing" in Rift. But the bigger problem with your entire post is the assumption that raiding has ever been for anyone BUT the hardcore. "Casuals" have never had a place in raiding.

I find this kind of elitist attitude to be very common in the Wildstar pre-launch community.

I find it amusing. I do not believe that there's still a lot of people who sit 6-8 hours in front of the computer each day, playing the same game. This is what I define in Hardcore. Gamers have learned that there's something outside the computer screen and developers have learned that they must cater to the casuals if they want their game to live, because they are 95% of their playerbase.

If players like Livinthedream are expecting Wildstar to be super hardcore then they're in for a huge dissapointment.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by FoxyShoxzy

I find this kind of elitist attitude to be very common in the Wildstar pre-launch community.

What I find funny about your attitude is that you think the word "elitism" is somehow bad. LFR was made for casuals, as are the "group events" of Gw2 and Rift. Number of players does not a raid make.

Originally posted by Xstylesbase.

If players like Livinthedream are expecting Wildstar to be super hardcore then they're in for a huge dissapointment.

Super hardcore? Nowhere near in its entirety. I am not a moron. I do believe that they will cater certain pieces of content to their respective niches. If any team will do it this team will. To do anything else would be tantamount to political suicide.

• AkaishenAkaishen Member Posts: 12

A game doesn't have to pick one demographic. WildStar has content for hardcore players and content for casuals. What's so wrong about providing good quality content for more people? The game is about playing how you want, so it's pretty critical for Carbine to ensure that hardcore content and casual content are well balanced.

Carbine also said they are building a game they want to play and they want large raids. This content is only meant for the top 5% of players. If you don't want to participate, there's no need to. They also said that 65% of their players are solo players and their largest focus is on end-game content. This sounds fantastic to me because I enjoy the solo play and I don't do raids.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    It looks ok, and will be ok, but the next big MMO is WoD without doubt.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by funcon
    It kinda has the WoW look with the graphics but it does everything better than WoW. I think a lot of WoW players will move on to WildStar. And does anyone know if WildStar will be B2P or monthy fee?

Are you asking if Wildstar will be the wow killer.. geez i thought you would have learnt by now....

No it wont be the next big thing.. no wow clone will ever be the next big thing..

It will be something that is a lot different from wow..

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It looks,

Plastic, linear, easy & grind to "win"

So will probably be a huge success
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Are you asking if Wildstar will be the wow killer.. geez i thought you would have learnt by now....

No it wont be the next big thing.. no wow clone will ever be the next big thing..

I don't think anyone with a shred of intelligence actually believes there will be a "wowkiller".

I do think that with this team and the way they have been building hype it has the most potential of any game in a very long time.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It looks,

Plastic, linear, easy & grind to "win"

So will probably be a huge success

Sorry Mo, its not pvpz iz teh best0rz.

Though you have to admit Warplots look pretty interesting.

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330

Depends if it will ever even be released =/

<---Still waiting for beta invite

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

I don't think anyone with a shred of intelligence actually believes there will be a "wowkiller".

I do think that with this team and the way they have been building hype it has the most potential of any game in a very long time.

A lot of people said the same thing about GW2 and it turned out to be a very boring game.. still will have to wait and see but nothing i have seen of Wildstar makes me think "wow i want to play that game"

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Nah warplots look boring, like battlegrounds pretending to not be battlegrounds.

Bit like lwg then.
    A lot of people said the same thing about GW2 and it turned out to be a very boring game.. still will have to wait and see but nothing i have seen of Wildstar makes me think "wow i want to play that game"

Gw2 was setting out to reinvent the wheel just for the sake of reinventing the wheel. Remember the campaign of "we feel we don't need an endgame"? Or how they switched up the colors of loot tiers just because they had to be different.

The article from a couple weeks back detailing how and what they are doing with their engine I found to be rather fascinating, and not something that has been released by similar companies. So many companies talk down to their playerbase (with reason honestly, but meh) and do not talk to them like people, even about tech issues. Look at their latest movement video. When was the last video you saw where they discussed something like that and actually went through the paces of not only what kinds of movement they give you, but why they made the choices they have.

This team has set out to essentially make "WoW, but better!" and its a team that I believe can meet that goal. Kinda like the team behind Torchlight, when they set out to make the spiritual successor to Diablo. If any other team had said that I would have been skeptical (and I was, but mostly for money reasons) and they nailed it feel wise.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Nah warplots look boring, like battlegrounds pretending to not be battlegrounds.

Bit like lwg then.
    Sure, they are battlegrounds (it helps when you are not blatantly against that idea as content) but they are build your own battleground. The sheer fact that you can wrangle a raid boss and stick it on your warplot to fight along side I find immensely appealing as a concept. Not saying that there are not a ton of potential issues, almost all of which come from tuning, but as a base concept I find it interesting. Much the same way that I find level editors in Sc2 interesting.
  • StayonboardStayonboard Member Posts: 77

Nope it absolutely won't.... I don't think anything will ever be the "next big thing".

You'll get fun/good niche games like EVE, GW2, DFUW, etc that'll fit people's needs, but there won't be any colossal giant like Warcraft was during it's time.

Wildstar is pretty solid, and the path design is refreshing and pretty interesting but I don't see the staying power long term either. I could be personally burned out of MMO games too, though I am enjoying AoW and a few others right now (though very casually compared to how much I used to play these things).

TL;DR version, no, not by a long shot but it'll certainly have a strong player base like most of the other top performing games do (not named WoW).

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I think "the next big MMO" will be something a bit different. It's likely that it might be Titan if Blizzard learns from its Diablo 3 mistakes and doesn't try to push RMT on its players... but still, you never know, they're not exactly brilliant these days.

Hey, it might be EQ Next! After all we're talking about a major MMO company giving the sandbox design a go here, that's not happened before. Sandbox has always been the domain of small startup companies, and as interesting as their design ideas were, most games lacked on [expensive] implementation. Who knows, SOE might go back to their EQ to SWG days for a bit here. :)

As for WildStar, I don't think it'll be "the next big thing", but I can see it having a lot of players and keeping a healthy population. Though nothing close to WOW.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    The next big MMO will be The Elder Scrolls online whether we like it or not. Wildstar simply isn't well known about outside the MMO community.
  • triton54xtriton54x Member UncommonPosts: 39
    as long as its big enough to stay active  im happy even if I enjoy it or not
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

yeah I didn't even know what wildstar was and I played MMO's for the last 20 years .

But after watching a few videos , plus the fact there isn't really anything apart from Elder Scrolls Online which I would sub to in the near future . I think Wildstar is the next WOW killer ?

Originally posted by Arakazi
    The next big MMO will be The Elder Scrolls online whether we like it or not. Wildstar simply isn't well known about outside the MMO community.

Neither will be the next big MMO. Especially not TESO. From the looks of it, it seems like a horrible multiplayer version of Skyrim. Elder scrolls series were mainly popular for their single player story elements. That matters not in an MMO. Once you have been through the story and hit max level, then we will see what the game is really worth. My guess is nothing.

Wildstar will attract the old vanilla WoW players. I think the game will survive. It looks to have a lot of factors that people are looking for in a MMORPG even if they'll admit it or not. The developers looks to have a lot of focus on end game content and the leveling itself doesn't seem to be too boring. But becoming the next big MMORPG? I doubt it. A lot of players don't like the cartoonish style and younger players will most likely be more attracted to pandaland than some new game that they never heard of.

it does look to have a lot of things that appeal to me though. I would still be playing vanilla WoW on a pvt server if it wasn't for the game being so damn old in so many ways. Maybe Wildstar can provide that freshness combined with non-skippable raid progress? I don't know.

In the end graphics don't mean much to me. After playing Aion, I found myself thinking "Aww yeah it's pretty and all, but what does it contain underneath? Nothing? Thought so."

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Originally posted by atticusbc
    nah. it isn't going to grab a mass audience simply for the fact that it's not in the mass consciousness. still. should be a good game nonetheless. except for the idiotic level of telegraphing. that makes no darn sense.

Most MMO's have some form of telegraphing (even Tera's monsters have a 'tick' of some kind before they strike).  Let's see how they make it work in raids before we pass judgment.  If the floor looks like a friggin disco dance floor, then I'll agree with you.

Yeah they have a red eye glint...which makes me still look at the MONSTER not the ground and it's only for BIG attacks and it still doesn't tell me what attack they are doing..just that it's a big one.

Wildstars cheesy nonsense turns combat into look at the ground and press dodge when a red box appears. It's pathetic from what i've seen in videos, wish they'd remove it.

• AkaishenAkaishen Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    nah. it isn't going to grab a mass audience simply for the fact that it's not in the mass consciousness. still. should be a good game nonetheless. except for the idiotic level of telegraphing. that makes no darn sense.

Most MMO's have some form of telegraphing (even Tera's monsters have a 'tick' of some kind before they strike).  Let's see how they make it work in raids before we pass judgment.  If the floor looks like a friggin disco dance floor, then I'll agree with you.

Wildstars cheesy nonsense turns combat into look at the ground and press dodge when a red box appears. It's pathetic from what i've seen in videos, wish they'd remove it.

This is opposed to walking up to creatures, hitting your attack buttons, getting attacked, and whoever lasts the longest wins. That sounds amazing... WildStar implements elements of game-play mechanics that keep fights interesting. It poses constant problems that the player needs to overcome. They can dodge, get hit, jump to a heal spot, pull enemies into another enemy's attack, etc.

Originally posted by Akaishen
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

This is opposed to walking up to creatures, hitting your attack buttons, getting attacked, and whoever lasts the longest wins. That sounds amazing... WildStar implements elements of game-play mechanics that keep fights interesting. It poses constant problems that the player needs to overcome. They can dodge, get hit, jump to a heal spot, pull enemies into another enemy's attack, etc.

Never Winter has the red ground showing where massive hits are going to land . It works but it does make things a bit easy .  If you watch the monster you can see the animation of them charging up their attack anyways.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    WildStar seems to have everything required for success.  It looks like the right recipe of familiar yet unique that most developers have been aiming for.  I'm looking forward to playing WildStar regardless of how successful it becomes.

Originally posted by Ujirik
    WildStar seems to have everything required for success.  It looks like the right recipe of familiar yet unique that most developers have been aiming for.  I'm looking forward to playing WildStar regardless of how successful it becomes.

Definitely , it reminds me of borderlands but in mmo style .

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by funcon
    It kinda has the WoW look with the graphics but it does everything better than WoW. I think a lot of WoW players will move on to WildStar. And does anyone know if WildStar will be B2P or monthy fee?

No it won't.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281

Hopefully it will be P2P. I would rather fork out $15 every month and have a single game that I can stick with and be immersed in than hop from F2P to F2P game to pass the time. B2P would be ok, but even most games with this model (GW2, TSW) only hold my attention for so long. I want to get lost in a game like I did back in the days of Pre-NGE SWG or Vanilla WoW. 

Call me old school, but that's just how I prefer it.