Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't decide which of the following to play.

hoboflasherhoboflasher Member Posts: 4

Hello Everyone,

I finally have time to start playing an MMO seriously and was considering the following :

The Secret World

Star Wars The Old Republic

Neverwinter

Guild Wars 2

Star Trek Online

EVE Online

Tera

I care about the game's player base a lot; meaning i want a game which has crowded servers(EU) and is easy to find other players to play with and i really like to pvp instead of pve at later levels. It having a subscription or not isn't really important. Also the in game store shouldn't be Pay to Win. Can anyone give me a quick overview of those games i listed and possibly compare and make a suggestion. Much appreciated. 

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I chose TSW, but it's not going to feel crowded. There are definitely people there, but each zone is split into instances, so while there may be a bunch of people in chat, you'll only see a few of them. There are always people around and in chat, it's just not crowded.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by hoboflasher

Hello Everyone,

I finally have time to start playing an MMO seriously and was considering the following :

The Secret World

Neverwinter

Guild Wars 2

Star Trek Online

EVE Online

Tera

I care about the game's player base a lot; meaning i want a game which has crowded servers(EU) and is easy to find other players to play with and i really like to pvp instead of pve at later levels. It having a subscription or not isn't really important. Also the in game store shouldn't be Pay to Win. Can anyone give me a quick overview of those games i listed and possibly compare and make a suggestion. Much appreciated. 

I have tried EvE and The Secret World. Out of the two I really enjoy TSW. Star Wars and Star Trek for some reason I cannot get to display. GW2 I left because I think the community, other than a handful of people, utterly sucks. And I never had any interest in Tera.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

in game the community in gw2 is actually  good for a modern mmo.

out of game though..........

eves the best out of the list, but its very different sort of game to all the others,

• emi56emi56 Member UncommonPosts: 24

I am with lizardbones here. TSW all the way. Great story, OK PvP (will be tweaked and expanded upon in the future).

Here is a little fan made trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Yg5i5g1rfZE

lol ok pvp, really?

the OP wants to PVP at endgame, TSW isn't that sort of game.  Its a pve most of the time, and just hop in pvp "for fun" type game - as is swtor, sto, neverwinter, and to a lesser degree tera.

EVE is obviously the most PVP game on the list, but its going to take a couple of months and lots of contacts to get PVP ready

GW2 would be more PVP than all the others on the list.

of course there are others he could look at.

DFUW because its new, so less catching up, and does FFA PVP like eve.

PS2, because ALL you do is pvp, its all "pvp endgame"

WOW because it does much the same thing as most of those games on the list  PVP wise, but its been around longer and got more stuff

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

If I'm not mistaking, half of that list is some kind of F2P, meaning that you can try it out for free.

That should narrow down your options.

As for which games are crowded. I currently only log on GW2 and WoW from time to time, and both games are well crowded. However you won't notice it that much in GW2 for some reason, players are more spread out I think. But if for example you enter WvW you'll find many people to pvp with.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

PvP at later levels you're going to want Eve or GW2. Both will have a good population. GW2 is going to be a faster paced game, while Eve is going to have more depth. GW2 will be based more on action, Eve will be based more on planning.

There are much bigger differences, but that's the ten thousand foot overview.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Why choose blind?Most of the games you emntion are either F2P or have free trials or periodical free weekends.....try them all and make an informed decision?
    Originally posted by jazz.be

If I'm not mistaking, half of that list is some kind of F2P, meaning that you can try it out for free.

As for which games are crowded. I currently only log on GW2 and WoW from time to time, and both games are well crowded. However you won't notice it that much in GW2 for some reason, players are more spread out I think. But if for example you enter WvW you'll find many people to pvp with.

not on my server gandara, just tried it again last couple of days WVW was dead as a dodo

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

not on my server gandara, just tried it again last couple of days WVW was dead as a dodo

That is very strange. I checked which server I'm on and population is set to medium, while yours is set to high.

I had to wait around 30-45 minutes in queue this weekend to join WvW. Today I had close to instant join, but the map was well filled and there were a lot of battles.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

That is very strange. I checked which server I'm on and population is set to medium, while yours is set to high.

I had to wait around 30-45 minutes in queue this weekend to join WvW. Today I had close to instant join, but the map was well filled and there were a lot of battles.

the middle map too, there were a few skirmishes going on, but everyone seemed held up in keeps

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488

I would highly recommend Eve Online. My time playing that game was really fun, but unfortunately due to my terribly low IQ. I struggled to grasp the complex mechanics and systems of that game. But the community here treated me very well. I have fond memories of strip mining belts in my hulk with my hauler alt. But the game is deep so deep. But if you have the brains and patience to learn the game properly. I would say Eve Online.

Tera was a huge let down for me. And I won';t even get started on how terrible the community is there. I can't really speak for the other games, as I have not tried them.

Good luck in your search 

Regards 

Jinxys

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    You might want to add Rift to your list with it going f2p in June -- should be crowded then as well.  I love TSW and like GW2 as well, but the big crowds will be in Agartha for dungeons in TSW, and in PvP for GW2.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

If your looking for PvP then I would say either GW2 or EVE.

Depends on your style and really you gonna need to give details about what game play you want.  EVE I would say is by far the most in depth and complex PvP sandbox games out there but its a tactical game.  As the saying goes, excel spreadsheet in space.  GW2 has a good PvP assortment and populated and has updates with events n whatnot pretty darn frequent.

If you don't want an intrusive cash shop then I would avoid Neverwinter at all cost, even more so if your a 3.5e fan or enjoyed DDO.  It's very arcadish but hardly D&D.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Hello Everyone,

The Secret World

Neverwinter

Guild Wars 2

Star Trek Online

EVE Online

Tera

The games I would suggest are TSW, Guild Wars 2, and EVE Online. I would not suggest SW:TOR, Neverwinter, Star Trek Online or TERA unless you want to find yourself bored pretty quickly (just my opinion). Plus SW:TOR is just... Massive amounts of fail is the only way I can think to describe it.

Smile

• hoboflasherhoboflasher Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your answers everyone. I'll check out EVE, GW2,TSW and Swtor. Does anyone play Neverwinter btw ? I know it's in beta atm so might give it a go as well. 
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Thank you for your answers everyone. I'll check out EVE, GW2,TSW and Swtor. Does anyone play Neverwinter btw ? I know it's in beta atm so might give it a go as well. 

Neverwinter is a lot of fun, its free for you to check out, so you probably should give it a go. The foundry makes for a nice diversion from the rather linear leveling, and the PvP is a lot of fun. I will warn you that if you play a Great Weapon Fighter, expect to be weak until about level 30. But they do exactly what they are supposed to do at level 60.

Don't listen to the anti-F2P crowd on here either. I have nearly fully geared up my main character without spending a cent of real life cash (except for the founder pack, which got me a mount - saving about 1-2 days worth of Astral Diamond grinding). Without using real money, you can gear your character within 1-2 months. You can get runes up to nearly max level very easily, so you will be only missing out on about 2-3% effectiveness while your grind the final rank.  Hardly unreasonable for a MMO.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Out of the games you listed I can only comment about GW2, EVE and SWTOR.

I suggest EVE, because I liked the community in that game and ppl really want to group up in that game. I have nothing negative to say about GW2's community, but then I never really experienced a community in that game. On our server, you mostly see LFG for dungeons and barely any other chat. Maybe it is different in the starting areas though.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I recommend GW2, it is rather crowded and have loads of content. Some players tire after about 2 months but even if you do it is still worth it. This game is a lot more polished than any of the other on your list.

Tera is pretty fun if you want something that is free. A lot less crowded than GW2 but as F2P games go it is one of the best.

• falconhandfalconhand Member UncommonPosts: 50

Even if it is called beta, neverwinter is released, there will be no wipe of chars anymore (unless ofcourse a banhammer hits you) and it is free to play so you can check it, you can make 2 chars for free and even can pick from all classes.

Since you mentioned tsw, maybe you want to try age of conan. At low level the eu rage server is very nice to play pvp on. There will be a big merge of eu and usa servers so it will be getting crowded for a while. Age of conan is indeed buggy and laggy now and then and release of new stuff is very very slow, but the graphics and the fatals (chopping of heads etc) are the best out there for a mmo.

But eve has a trail and gw2, tsw, and age of conan ;) are all free to play so give them a try.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The thing with Neverwinter is that if you enjoy creating content and play other players content it might be a winner but if you play it like any other MMO it is not that good. A single storyline, all character starting the same and simple quests kinda makes PvE at least very basic. I havn't tried the PvP though and wont comment on it but the game is mainly PvE.

The foundry do adds a new dimension to MMOs and you will never run out of content thanks to it, if you like stuff like that go ahead.

Combat, programming and storywise is it not in the same league as GW2 or even TERA.

• CoNk3rCoNk3r Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Does anyone play Neverwinter btw ? I know it's in beta atm so might give it a go as well. 

Try it out for yourself, its only "weights" about 4Gb and its free to download. But don´t expect to much (imho), I would recommend GW2 (first game through is nice, as long you don´t rush to lvl cap), has a funx Wv3 PvP (some may not find it to complex enough), personally i find it a great game.

If you don´t have the money, go with :

Tera, Lotro, soonish RifT or even Everquest 2 (i would go with Lotro, best dungeon expierence one can achieve)

Games that were "meh" kinda (jm2c)

SWTOR, Neverwinter

1)SWTOR simply becuase its a Neverwinter with bigger areas to explore but too linear like Neverwinter, means even more walking til you get a mount. Unlike Neverwinter, SWTOR felt slow-paced overall, every class felt the same, pistols class or lighttsaber, they played the same way (more or less), after 3x characters at lvel 15 (smuggler being the most fun of the 3, consular and bounty being the other 2) and waaay too many copies of the same companion > total immersion breaker, its was enough, the game looks great, overall great fps, but at the end it just wasnt my thing, but the com was very friendly.

2)Neverwinter is fast paced, some mix of Tera and old school mechanics from Lotro with GW2 aoe fields. In my humble opinion : the system does not work at all, its a zerg the boss-spider, til its dead..the game is fun til you start to notice the "huge" copy&pasta in the game, the game shares the same annoying companions feature from SWTOR, meaning you will see " 55 Tank companions flexing and braggin all the time" in front of every "portal" gate.

The only pro or the only feature that has potential is the foundry, but its very limited right now, so don´t bother recreating WoW raids with it, because you cant and more importantly its not worth your and a parties time to complete/make such big maps (you can only add 1x chest so far, which has 95% of the time "meh" loot).. go with SWTOR in this head to head.

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351

ID recomend gw2 for enad game pvp and wvw its mad fun ! fast, tourments as well and fight to get your server number 1. 

TSW is also awsome but you have to grind xp to unlock all the combos however you can learn everything and save differant skills and eq set . End game when we zone in an instance its like ok who wants to play what role. If you want an open system tsw rocks.

Neverwinter is cash shop heavy as any PW ftp game.

• hoboflasherhoboflasher Member Posts: 4
    I've played AoC for 3-4 months at it's launch so kinda had enough of that but i always liked the game even though it had loads of bugs. For some reason Neverwinter has a lot of lag unless i play the game through a vpn which is weird. 
  • AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69

Neverwinter is broken to me..games f2p is good just felt broken id recommend swtor before Neverwinter...but for real if your looking for a game you cant go wrong with Guild wars 2, Tera, or Eve. I never played Eve but i hear alot of good things from it.