Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Runescape: Introducing RuneScape 3.0

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

RuneScape is one of the most enduring MMOs in the entire online game space. Now entering its third incarnation, we have a terrific preview to share with our readers. See what we have to say before adding your voice to the discussion in the comments.

And so while a lot of you deem RuneScape as one of those products that lots of other people play, Jagex are looking to remedy the situation, and with the 3rd iteration are pulling back the curtain to the wider world and showing off their game beyond their own, humongous, community.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Introducing RuneScape 3.0.

“...a quietly massive groundbreaking, ultra popular fantasy simulation.”

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    uhmm... It looks like WoW now.  I think I preferred the old looking Runescape, lol.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

I came back to runescape and played it for a while recently. I am really happy for them despite their very aggressive cash shop and unbelievable by todays standards grind to achieve anything.  I would advise anyone whos childhood memories are linked to RS to come back and have a look at it after that update. :)

They also started an Oldschool server using a backup from 2007 without all the new shenningingangs.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

For me 2007 is not "old school"  but  "new school".   Im talking about Runescape 2004 and earlier.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    For me this game has always sat firmly in the crusty old games that won't die for some reason category.  I have never gotten past looking at it briefly and wondering why it is still running.  That being said, a massive overhaul might be a good reason to take a closer look.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

So many years of my childhood spent playing this game, it's remarkable just how popular this game really became, I remember back in 2008 or so the accounts logged in at one time would be in the 250,000 range, not subscribers, just logged in at that moment. Even at this moment current Runescape has 80,000 logged on and oldschool has 27,000.

I look forward to giving Runescape 3 a whirl.

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    I would go back and have a look, but last time I did, my max level char had been hacked and all my items were gone!
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    I lost years of  my life as a kid on this, it was a great game. I came back and played it for like two weeks recently and still one of the better MMO's on the market. Sad statement right there.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Did skills transfer from 1 to 2?  Will they transfer from 2 to 3?  Trying to decide to start now or wait.
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by mastersomrat
    Did skills transfer from 1 to 2?  Will they transfer from 2 to 3?  Trying to decide to start now or wait.

Skills did transfer. I'm torn though. I want to experience the old content again, but the thought of staring over from 0 in a game with a grind like this...yeesh.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    i like how the castle almost looks like its made out of lego blocks

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Raventree
    For me this game has always sat firmly in the crusty old games that won't die for some reason category.  I have never gotten past looking at it briefly and wondering why it is still running.  That being said, a massive overhaul might be a good reason to take a closer look.

It doesn't sound like you really gave it a chance then. Maybe you just dislike skill-based games but RS is one of the better games out there. Great quests with great stories, achievements that you actually want to finish, and an economy largely based on player crafting. I remember cutting down logs and sell them in AH, all the while ranking the skill associated with cutting down logs (forgot the skill name).

This article actually reminded me of RS and what a good time I had in the game and now I'm going to go give it a try to see what's changed.

Smile

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by Raventree

It doesn't sound like you really gave it a chance then. Maybe you just dislike skill-based games but RS is one of the better games out there. Great quests with great stories, achievements that you actually want to finish, and an economy largely based on player crafting. I remember cutting down logs and selling them in the AH, all the while ranking the skill associated with cutting down logs (forgot the skill name).

This article actually reminded me of RS and what a good time I had in the game and now I'm going to go give it a try to see what's changed.

Accidental double post when editing :o

Smile

• skunrooskunroo Member Posts: 27
    RS was at its best when lumbridge was the only safe area.
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I long for 2004/2005 runescape... Looking into trying 3.0 if it is a separate game from runescape 2 (like they did when runescape 2 came out and had that and classic) and not just a huge update
  • polySurfacepolySurface Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Unfortunately jagex is all about the money and no longer the game today. Seems any new content is just an excuses for another cash grab. If the wheel is gone in 3 ill definitely return.

Feydikan sums up Divergence Online development.
    "OMG working so hard..pant pant... need sleep... pant pant.... and money... pant pant....keep faith"

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Wow, I am a veteran mmo player pondering where to go next...lol Runescape classic -> RS 2 was my first mmo and I will always cherish it and those memories fondly. I have never returned since leaving as it was simply a starter mmo for when I was 9 years old. Looks like I'll be heading back to Runescape this summer to give it a go.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by polySurface
    Unfortunately jagex is all about the money and no longer the game today. Seems any new content is just an excuses for another cash grab. If the wheel is gone in 3 ill definitely return.

And that would be different from any other MMO how?

• polySurfacepolySurface Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by topographic
    Originally posted by polySurface

And that would be different from any other MMO how?

Encouraging gambling with real world currency on games of chance is not the way to go about it. Vanity items etc to generate income is fine not gambling!

Feydikan sums up Divergence Online development.
    "OMG working so hard..pant pant... need sleep... pant pant.... and money... pant pant....keep faith"

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    For a browser game it looks quite nice. I may just try this out someday.
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    I will give it a try once that update is out.

• ZubeiiZubeii Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Maybe ill give this a try until Camelot Unchained is released. Looks interesting. My lil bro was all about runescape back in the day.
  • Moridin82Moridin82 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Can we try runescape 3 now? never played it
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by sacredfool

I came back to runescape and played it for a while recently. I am really happy for them despite their very aggressive cash shop and unbelievable by todays standards grind to achieve anything.  I would advise anyone whos childhood memories are linked to RS to come back and have a look at it after that update. :)

Screw the cash shop you mentioned. How are the bots these days? I gave RS a try a couple of times and quited almost instantly because of the bots KSing me 24/7. If the bots are gone I might give it a try. Don't mind about that grind to evade the cash shop to achieve something ;-)

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Looks nice while still remaining as a browser game, impressed.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Quote: By Adam Tingle

"RuneScape gives the player the option to simple inhabit the game world"

Wish it would be....

MMORPG's gives the player the option to simple inhabit the game world

For some reason the graphics/animations didn't click with me on the original Runescape, not sure why..

Might give the game another change once this 3.0 version is released. As it has most of what I look for in a MMORPG