Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hybrid Subscription Idea

MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424

What would you guys think about MMORPG's doing prepaid like cell phones?  For example I spend 15$ and get X-amount of actual in-game hours to play, or if someone has less time to play they can spend less to meet the needs of their schedule?  I mean if you are charged based on in-game activity instead of just a block of time whether or not your playing wouldn't that eliminate the needs for f2p?

What do you think?

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Datastar
    What would you guys think about MMORPG's doing prepaid like cell phones?  For example I spend 15$ and get X-amount of actual in-game hours to play, or if someone has less time to play they can spend less to meet the needs of their schedule?  I mean if you are charged based on in-game activity instead of just a block of time whether or not your playing wouldn't that eliminate the needs for f2p?

What do you think?

They are already doing that in asia...have been for a long time.

To get any meaningful progression its the same price as a sub on average.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Voted no, the issue with subs is the price not the model.  For e.g I would happily pay a sub of £5 a month which is comparable to what I would pay in a cash shop in a quality cash shop based game.  Publishers of sub games are greedy.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    They could, but if they did, then you should expect the price to be that $15 gets you 30 hours of gameplay or some such, not the 720 hours in 30 days.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Why eliminate F2P?

I am more than happy if some whales want to pay for my games. No charging system, aside from a cashshop, is needed.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

What do you think?

No because $15 a month is unlimited time.  So why would I want to put a limit on something that is unlimited?  If you want to talk about $15 Unlimited and $6 x amount of time then we can talk.  I am not paying more than $15 a month for an unlimited subscription.  

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    They could, but if they did, then you should expect the price to be that $15 gets you 30 hours of gameplay or some such, not the 720 hours in 30 days.

Exactly. Which actually comes out worse for the average player.

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Right but your not seeing it like I am, 15 bucks for 30 days is 30 days whether your playing or sleeping or working, if you got charged for actual in-game play it would not feel as if your wasting the money on time lost due to real life.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I wouldn't care, voted no though.  Say $15 was unlimited, and then tiers of money/time....  Not a big fan of f2p that push the p2w line, and not a fan of this, if they had no $15/unlimited, to where you like had to watch your minutes, like on some old phone plan.

I dislike f2p with a passion it gets abused with cash shops far to often.
    Right but your not seeing it like I am, 15 bucks for 30 days is 30 days whether your playing or sleeping or working, if you got charged for actual in-game play it would not feel as if your wasting the money on time lost due to real life.

Then the developer does not make enough money. You want to complain about paying sub prices etc when building and maintaining these games is actually getting more expensive.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If you want to convince a game developer to use a different business model, then you have to convince him that it will bring in more revenue for the game.
  • ZolbZolb Member UncommonPosts: 53

If you had said $15 for 30days but the time only counts down when your actually logged in or something a long those line then I think you might have been on to something.

At the end of the day until some game company trys it and say how much actual game time you are buying for x amount of money its hard to say if this type of thing would have any impact or not, if $15 got 30 hours of game time it would fail, most people would use that up in 7 to 10 days, some a lot sooner.

I wonder if more companies will try the buy to play model and have a cash shop in game, similar to GW2.

Guess now we know its f2p or gtfo for mmorpgs now sad times indeed.
    Guess now we know its f2p or gtfo for mmorpgs now sad times indeed.

Not really. Though it does depend entirely on what you mean by "f2p". Many games are called f2p when in fact they are freemium. Freemium really does give you the best fit for the largest amount of costumers.