Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Rift: Going Free to Play June 12th

Comments

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Nice they finally came around. Every mmo company that has multiple mmorpgs under their name needs to offer at least one of each of the 3 types of price models:

• P2P
    • B2P
    • F2P
    That is what I call a well rounded mmo portfolio. And if they don't have more than one mmo, stick to a sub based model first and foremost. And if they have more than 3 mmos, get ready to see multiple F2P mmos pouring out from them. All in all I will be trying Rift one more time to at least see what they did to improve what felt to me at the time a really small gaming world.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    See ya WoW
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by nyxium
    See ya WoW

Be sure that many games will be affected by TRION's move, not only WoW. I m sure it will shake things a lot

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

wow very nice ... can't wait Rift was so much better than GW2. sorry guys the idea that going F2P means a game is dying is not the case anymore. most games that give a F2P option have huge playerbase influx.

Look at DCUO and SWTOR.

this is great for players, already have 5-10 friends saying they are leaving guild wars 2 for Rift when it goes free 2 play.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

As long as the game doesn't change at all for me, I'll keep playing.  Probably won't spend a dime in the cash shop though...One thing I'm wondering, do us founder's still get to keep our founder's pricing...I'm currently paying $9.99 a month for subscription :)

My biggest gripe about a game going F2P is idiots come in and act like 3 year olds spamming chats with "omg this game sucks" and doing whatever they can to disrupt and annoy players like myself that stick with a game for years.  If you're one of these game hoppers, please don't come to Rift :)

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    I'm happy about this. I've always wanted to dig more into this game, but couldn't justify the subscription. Their plan also seems fair, unlike other converted games.
  • mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135
    Who cares.... a bad mmo is now getting a even worse community...

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Originally posted by Gravarg

My biggest gripe about a game going F2P is idiots come in and act like 3 year olds spamming chats with "omg this game sucks" and doing whatever they can to disrupt and annoy players like myself that stick with a game for years.  If you're one of these game hoppers, please don't come to Rift :)

As in any "launch" or newly converted game, the first rule of thumb:

Disable/Hide/Close "global" chat.. At least for a week or such.. Or.. Or.

You can monitor it closely and if you are quick enough you can add most of the blasphemy to your ignore list if you are quick enough as they speed all over your chat box..

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I wonder how honest he was about the F2P model not being restrictive.  He makes it out like subscribers will just get some perks that F2P players won't and that's the only difference.  Can it really be that good to be true?
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    So which MMOs remain p2p?

WoW and WAR? Hahaha WAR lolz it wouldn't go free even if WoW went...

FFXI is still P2P after 10 years and FFXIV: ARR will be P2P.  ARR hasn't really been around too long though and will be relaunching this summer, so it could very well go F2P with the shift in how MMOs have changed, despite how successful or unsuccessful it is.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

What I am wondering about is his last comment to the current subscribers. Exactly how is going F2P making the game better? 

Granted, I'm not saying the game is bad. I am just wondering why F2P would make it better? Especially if it draws in a bunch of crude and vulgar F2P kiddies along with the gold spamming crowd. 

That would be my personal question to the devs; How do they plan to keep the community from going into the gutter after F2P because of vulgar F2P kiddies and gold spammers?

• st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155

So he says this rebutting the Pay 2 Win notion:

Great items that can be purchased with Credits must be obtainable by playing the game.

and then says that players can buy REX for real money that can then be exchanged for.. credits?

You’ll also see a new type of item for sale: REX (RIFT Exchange).  REX can be purchased for real money and converted to RIFT Store Credits.  What makes them special is that they are tradable and can be placed on the auction house. This allows even free players access to Credits, at a price determined by the players.

So it is Pay 2 Win if you can buy the "Great items" that are available via "Credits".

None the less I am going to give it a shot.  I was intrigued with it when it came out, but could not see dishing out the cash for it at the time.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Skullagrim

Not shocked, they all do anymore. WoW remains supreme...hahahaha :p

Hooray for Blizzard! And you ( in some weird way that only you can comprehend).

That being said, after I get out of my SW:TOR phase, I'm going to be playing some Rift.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    So which MMOs remain p2p?

EVE Online

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    Another major push towards more f2p crap, this is a major shame. Mmos are becoming more watered down by the year and p2p is always the fairest model. Wish the thick majority would realise that f2p always costs more if you want to get anywhere. Very disappointed is all I can say.
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

good news imo.. oh if your in the market i saw Storm legion at gamestop for 20$ (box version, download is still 40$ :(

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by Skullagrim

Not shocked, they all do anymore. WoW remains supreme...hahahaha :p

Wow could be on the ropes if they keep losing subs like they have in the last quarter. Eve online next to go free to play ? :P if they did thats one game I would play.

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Nice! Rift is the best themepark out there IMO, even better then WoW. I woulda subbed awhile back after my free trial, but I had time commitments, now I'll defiantly go back.

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by TribeofOne

good news imo.. oh if your in the market i saw Storm legion at gamestop for 20$ (box version, download is still 40$ :(

Yeah Amazon has the "box" version of storm legion for 20$ but the digital download is $40

idk whats going on with that

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

Idk Im happy more people will play rift but im sad to see the sub market loose another one to FTP.

Maybe rift will be different but ftp means a community that doesn't necessarily  value the game or players, and lots and lots gold spam :(

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by nyxium
    See ya WoW

Be sure that many games will be affected by TRION's move, not only WoW. I m sure it will shake things a lot

No it wont.  its just another low pop game going f2p.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Isn't it funny that back then whenever someone said that Rift will/should go F2P, people raised a sh*tstorm allover these posters and now that F2P is actually the case (as many have predicted), the same folks cheer Trion for this "all so smart move"?

Rift is not a good enough game to keep people paying for, no matter how you try to spin it this time. Period.

Another one in the Fail2Pay line. Defiance next.

• nicolino15nicolino15 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Vyeth

I KNEW IT... That "free" promotion on Raptr was no "coincidence" ... That was planned from the start.. And the vocal ones will say "it will fail" etc.. But on June 12th, the queues will be unbearable and the servers will once again be filled to the brim.. Doesn't exactly mean "income" but I hope the cash shop isn't going to be draconian in nature much like SWTOR was when it began with having to buy "Hotbars"..

It won't happen, just read the official thread: http://www.riftgame.com/en/promo/freetoplay.php

It's a good move, not P2W at all, and now this game will kick ass 95% of F2P games on the market IMO.

STFU n00b !

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    I really dont think free to play means a company is failing anymore. Star Wars seems to be recovering quite nicely and honestly if Rifts going free to play I may have found me a new home.
  • faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by Eivi
    Originally posted by Raventree
    Originally posted by Shaigh
    Originally posted by Raventree  

Here is what will most likely come along for the ride:

1)  More chat trolling and anti-social F2P kiddies.

Or as its known in WoW, players.

I played WoW for 5 years, I completely agree.

I concur, played since Vanilla beta.

When will people get off their "People have jobs and pay monthly for a game therefore they can't possibility be trolls" high horses? Do they not know about the videos on youtube? People in their 30s, 40s, and 50s acting like the kids people are claiming only F2P attracts. Please.