Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: You Heard It Right - Rift is Going F2P

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion Worlds has announced that Rift will be going free to play beginning June 12, 2013. According to the press release, Trion has heard its community to bring about this momentous decision for Rift. Devs have indicated that no content or gear will be pay-gated and that players can level all the way to 60 with no restrictions.

All players will be able to explore the entire world of Telara for free and will have access to the expanded in-game RIFT Store where a variety of services--mounts, boosts, wardrobe items, and more--will be available for purchase. An optional subscription will still be available that grants a slew of “Patron” benefits and bonuses to maximize the RIFT experience. Trion will celebrate its current and previous subscribers with loyalty and currency rewards for their time spent playing RIFT thus far. 

Check out the full details of the revenue shift on the Rift F2P site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Excellent.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Wow. They are being pretty free with the content. I wonder how quickly we can get someone complaining about F2P ruining the industry in this thread.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Cool info.  Thanks for the link.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by lizardbones
    Wow. They are being pretty free with the content. I wonder how quickly we can get someone complaining about F2P ruining the industry in this thread.

I imagine before we'll hit Page 2.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I wonder how that'll effect ex-subbers.   I had an annual there going for a while.. how much do you think I'm likely to lose with this F2P change?  I just KNOW I'll be hamstrung.  All the previous F2P's show me that.  (hah, that last little bit was kinda funny and kinda serious all wrapped into one)
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    What took them so long?
  • Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

It'll depend on the shop. Despite saying this won't turn the game into Pay2Win, they are still planning to sell actual gear in the shop. That never bodes well. But as far as F2P plans go this one seems really generous.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Good news i like this game, but not enough for a sub, I have storm legion so will have to come back for free to finish it!
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Unsurprising, pretty much the standard model, when interest in subs falls off, normally moves like this revitalize interest and increases revenues, sometimes substantially.

Judging from the release date, this has been in the plans for quite some time.

But real question to ask, is how many F2P games from the start  deliver this sort of quality.

So far I think we've really only got GW2 (not really F2P) and now perhaps Neverwinter? (though there's some disagreement over it's quality compared to other AAA releases)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Excellent news from an excellent company. Loved RIFT and will gladly go back.

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Sweet going to play for sure and just have to buy the new classes np .
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Great, now something that's actually good that I can let me kids play until WoW goes F2P :)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Well that's news that just might get me playing again!
  • faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    good news, will defo go back and give rift full *panking!
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Just canceled my sub since I won't be needing it.... Oh well, probably wasn't a good enough game for sub anyway.
  • tombistombis Member Posts: 3

Why should i buy a new mmo when all of them are going f2p within months of lunching, or getting a new expansion?

What do Trion have say to the people that bought the game yesterday?

thank you for your money, now its free HAHA! in your face ! People hate F2p for a reason and that reason is that most games go f2p after launching with a retail box worth $50/$60, not to mention the price on CE. Do they think we grow money on a tree or sth? people rage when they get scamed ; when the company gives away for free the game that they payed for not so long ago.

it happened to me and i think it happened to you too.

Now i dont think we can do anything about this rather than stay away from a game you think it might go f2p after release. But we cant see the future and people that can predict it in someway might not be sitting around playing games haha (maybe making millions in the stock market lol).

Look at it this way, maybe the game will benefict from this, and if the game gets more people it might be gd for you too.

Looking forward to invite some friends to play rift on june....

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Alot

I imagine before we'll hit Page 2.

Dammit, I was wrong.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    I believe Trion can pull of a good f2p model. Although i don't know how REX will work, the whole thing still looks like a player friendly system. I'll definitely go back and try it. Good move.
  • DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135

Bout **** time

This was the one game I was always shocked by that hasn't gone f2p yet

Defiance next

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Went garbage after SL launched.

Endgame is such a major daily grind it's not even funny.

F2P doesn't make the game any better unfortunately.

Will be the best F2P MMORPG out there though.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    ---nt-----

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Will have to fire up my bard again. Was my favorite bard class in an MMO to date. To bad I wasn't crazy about rest of the game. Will give something else to play while waiting on other titles.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

About time to be honest. Haha. Looking forward to this, been a while since i last played but never really got into a guild to try some of the content with.

Plus the rifts appearing while questing are quite graphically stunning.

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Terrible customer service. They'll ban you for speaking your opinion. Great game run by a-holes.
    Sorta like NC soft
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    What took them so long?

An expansion pack that didn't bring back all those lost subs? a publishing project that failed to even get enough players for beta? a poorly performing MMO... no sorry onlineFPS game that no-one wants to play because its full of bugs and lack of content?

Another one falls to the dark side and the scam that is F2P well thats what you'd think reading these boards, eh! guys? image

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.