Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone interested in Rift f2p?

2»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

It doesn't seem to hold my attention. I played a free weekend or two back when they were doing that, but the game was really lack luster in pretty much every way I could see it.

I think the Rift ship is sinking, don't see many people talking about it or using it as a reference. It's probably not bad, but in the F2P market, not bad is also not good enough to survive.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

I really liked RIFT but not enough to pay a sub. Definitely interested here. 

Hopefully WAR and DAoC will go F2P someday as well...

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Tried it on trial.  Downloaded Rift and AOC at the same time.  AOC was much more to my liking, so Rift got uninstalled.

Might check it out later, after the F2P rush dies down.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Been playing since Beta, have no plans to quit anytime soon.  They put out more content than any other developer does in twice the time.  As long as the "cool kids" stay out and don't come to just bash the game, then I'll be fine with keeping my sub :)

One day players will learn, you can take any game and turn it into a bashfest.  No game is perfect, no game is the end all, be all of gaming...The sooner people learn that, the better off the MMO community will be.

I can take the original Legend of Zelda (imho the greatest game every thought of) and turn into the worst game ever thought off. "omg the pixelated graphics are so horrible, even back when it came out!"  "bleh, I have to go do basically the same thing over and over again until I get to the final boss...wow so boring!" etc.

• InsecticonInsecticon Member UncommonPosts: 3

I'm willing to try it when it comes out F2P. I have friends who play it and I like how it has followed the trend these days of having one character who can change roles to fit a need.  No need to log out and come back in with another 'toon.  Not to mention that I can jump in with them and level up quickly.

I do know that there will be the typical childish crowd that goes around killing people just to troll; it happens everywhere.  Once a game is popular, it will attract all sorts of characters. You just have to find some like minded people who play like you and stick with them.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    I'll try it when it goes on steam.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Surely will! I've got a few WoW-lovin kids at home, but I won't buy subs for them, so this will be their playground. Kids + Dad == LAN Dungeon Party!! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    Think RIFT is going free to play.  Anyone here going to give it a try?

Sure i will. I have a lvl 50 Mage waiting for me!

Time to see what Storm Legion is all about !

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

I'll definitely be returning. Before, my wife and I didn't play enough to justify the cost (Time restrictions - not related to enjoyment of the game), so we started dabbling in GW2.

But now that this is free, we'll be there!

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Never even made it all the way through a free trial period, so.. no..
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    It's actually to late for me, they should have done that a LONG time ago. There are way too many options down there and Rift is just not that big of an interest for me atm.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Got the expansion for free with the Raptr promotion but got bored within a week. The combat is just too spammy. I have moved on from supermacro spam games.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Manolios

Trust me, whatever trolls say every one will be interested when it goes f2p.

I m not an active subscriber but i can say from my past experience in the game, its way better than most mmo's out there.

Many of my guild mates in wow (twilight's hammer-eu) and gw2 (Underworld) and also rl friends, are willing to quit current games to jump together in to RIFT.

btw RIFT f2p model is more than excellent!

100% agree with your last statement.  And to your former statements, my long time gaming friends have the same sentiment, so it looks as though I will be going back to Rift...at least until AA releases stateside.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Got the expansion for free with the Raptr promotion but got bored within a week. The combat is just too spammy. I have moved on from supermacro spam games.

Yeah, that's my issue with the game. The macros are ridiculous.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by evilastro

Yeah, that's my issue with the game. The macros are ridiculous.

I like the macros.  It's essentially building your own skill chain and custom combat style.  It also has inherent disadvantages built into the system the more skills you add.  Simply put the more you add the fewer buttons you have to press, but then the less effective your skill chains become.  The fewer skills you put in a macro the more you have to decide, but then you have greater control over situational skill use and you become more effective.

I'm a bigger fan of more action oriented combat now, but of all the hard tab targeting skill chain combat, this is my favorite.  The class build system is fun as well.

To me it just makes the spells meaningless. Off the top of my head I couldn't name a single spell from that game. It was ummm some fireball type thing that did slightly more damage than the other one, so I put it on top of my macro.

EQ2 sort of moved towards this as well once reuse speeds and cast speed got out of hand. But I still remember all the important class defining skills. Same with GW2. Or even GW1. But skills in Rift are just meaningless to me. Another notch in the rotation.

And I know people will say 'then don't macro'. But the bottom line is, that if the combat is so simple that I can macro, its not going to get any more interesting if I am just cycling through the rotation manually.

This discussion has been closed.