Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Rift: Going Free to Play June 12th

Comments

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Not surprised. With the quality of F2P competition out there now, I don't think any game can really compete without adapting. WoW will probably go F2P when it dips to 5 million.

Of course games can compete.  people will pay the sub if the game warrants it.  There are still TONs of sub payers out there playing lotro, eq2, TERA, whatever.  There is a very large group of people that prefer subs.  EvE isnt having any issues, is it?  

i m playing eve with 3 accounts and never paid a sub. none of my corp mates too. we are good at making isk :)

• Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Caldrin

This is taken from their website

"Why is RIFT going free-to-play?

Because players prefer free games!"

LOL well actually players prefer good games.. but free will do if a good game is not available haha j/k

If people prefer good games, why is WoW so popular? Actually, I guess people prefer easy games where they can level at the speed of light and don't have to concern themselves with character customization (see ya, talent trees).

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Actually, since I already own Rift & Storm Legion, but not currently subbing... this is pretty good news to me.

I actually think this game will be quite popular under a F2P model.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Heretic451
    Originally posted by Caldrin

This is taken from their website

"Why is RIFT going free-to-play?

Because players prefer free games!"

LOL well actually players prefer good games.. but free will do if a good game is not available haha j/k

If people prefer good games, why is WoW so popular? Actually, I guess people prefer easy games where they can level at the speed of light and don't have to concern themselves with character customization (see ya, talent trees).

Ah hell, I'm sick of hearing that about WoW. Sure it's easy to level up in WoW but do you realize how tedious games are that has slow leveling, particularly when its all about the endgame. And with all due respect, Rift isn't exactly hard, in some ways it's a lot easier than wow with it's 3 and 4 button macros. I would also say that WoW is a lot much more charismatic game than Rift or 99% of the titles out there. It's fashionable to slate WoW, I've even take a few kicks at it myself after the last two expansions. But at least it's more fun, engaging and lighthearted than most of the games out there. There are reasons that WoW is so successful and that's because they go the extra mile to be fun. 

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Everyday, other companies put EA Bioware to shame. First Tera and now Rift with their player friendly f2p models. Good job Trion, definitely will come back and try it.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

"What makes them special is that they are tradable and can be placed on the auction house. "

I quite like that change, it gives the community control over how much stuff in the cash shop is actually worth!

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Reddit AMA going on now: http://www.reddit.com/user/RIFTDevTeam

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Wish the Best for Trion & Rift with this switch to FTP model!

I´ll be checking the game myself again. I was a subscriber for over 8 months and had a great time while playing,just got bored when all came to raiding....

With the last updates including Storm legion i´ll have plenty to do!

Nice to hear i´ll have Veteran Status for beeing a old subscriber :)

Cya in Rift soon :)

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

I will most definitely be checking this out.

I bought it on Steam a while back, now I will finally install it!

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Not surprised. With the quality of F2P competition out there now, I don't think any game can really compete without adapting. WoW will probably go F2P when it dips to 5 million.

Of course games can compete.  people will pay the sub if the game warrants it.  There are still TONs of sub payers out there playing lotro, eq2, TERA, whatever.  There is a very large group of people that prefer subs.  EvE isnt having any issues, is it?  

i m playing eve with 3 accounts and never paid a sub. none of my corp mates too. we are good at making isk :)

PLEX is the smartest idea ever.  Im shocked only SoE (that i know of) has copied it.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    My condolences to all of you who currently enjoy Rift.

You stay sassy!

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Shodanas
    Originally posted by Skullagrim

Not shocked, they all do anymore. WoW remains supreme...hahahaha :p

WoW lost 1.4 mill subs in a 3 month period. At this rate F2P isn't to far away. image

your math fails you young padawan. this does not mean wow will be out of subs in 6 months ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    This will shake up the industry a fair bit!
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Siveria
    IMO if they put in any buyable with rl cash gear thats is anywhere near equil to raid gear, is going to destroy the end game pretty much, Should keep any gear out of the cash shop. I'd personally buy some wardrobe outfits if they were priced like 5 bucks for a set, but I refuse to pay 10 or more for a deco outfit. Give me a maid outfit with the hairband and I will buy that in a second.

Also they say they don't want to seregate, yet they seregated the pve and pvp crouds due to pvp gear having an extra special stat, that kinda proves they are lying right there imo. If I raid I should be able to do both without having to grind out a pvp gearset.

They probably gonna replace all loot tables With a single lockbox loot table and put everything inside lockboxes like how they do it With DEFIANT. LOL.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Not sure why the doom and gloom from some of you. This is a good business decision for Trion, and the FTP model is actually pretty good. All classes, races and content. What the sub gives you are perks like, increased mount speed, more bags, more xp. With the release of the expac late last year, this is a shit TON of content to enjoy. I mean more content than maybe any game out there with the exception of WoW, and only because that game has 9 years of content.

Seems like an all around good move. I've already heard from some friends who will now try it out with the FTP, that's the impact I'm sure Trion was hoping for. Before some of your heads explode, give it a shot. Don't trash the impact of FTP till we can quantify it.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    With how mediocre the game is, I am surprised it hasn't happened sooner.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by bcbully

RIFT was the last of the first gen Theme Parks. I played for 10 months. Well made game with some original content and very good Wpvp. It delivered meaningful permanent content at an incredible pace. Trion was in a good place. 

RIFT was too much of the same though, nearly an exact clone of WoW. In fact RIFT nearly out WoW'd WoW and was the first to take subs from WoW. 

Since then Trion has been a complete disappointment. Nearly no original thought, and shoddy implementation of what could be seen as "almost" different at best.

Trion's last two projects, the scrapped End of Nations RTS, and the disappointing, technical nightmare, 3rd person shooter Defiance, makes me question was Trion even a good company at all, or where the just great copy pasters riding the success of Blizzard.

I don't expect to see any mmorpgs from Trion any time soon, if ever. If Arche Age fails we maybe reading about Trion closing it's doors within the next 2 years.

i dont see archage failing 

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Hopefully they'll speed up the pace of combat so I no longer fall asleep playing RIFT -

Otherwise, I'll still pass.

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by GameByNight

I support this move. The pace of new content has dramatically slowed down and by all reports the population was dropping, probably as a result of being one of the last "old guard" of the subscription model. This will, without doubt, ensure I go back to the game and finish leveling and probably even spend a few dollars to support one of the best MMOs out there today. And with any luck, lots of other players will come to that same conclusion about RIFT's quality.

That said, I'm concerned about them selling "great items" for credits. You can earn them in-game, so that's good, but it runs the risk of devaluing people's efforts in actually playing.Selling rep boosters also incentives designing towards longer grinds you have to visit the cash shop. 

That's the fundamental problem with F2P -- and I don't mind the model. Instead of focusing on creating great content, you get an attention split between great design and manipulating players into spending money. Do it even slightly wrong and people get angry, ala LotRO.

Buy2Win is never the solution. To me it looks like a desperate attempt to make money before the game dies a slow death.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by monarc333

Not sure why the doom and gloom from some of you. This is a good business decision for Trion, and the FTP model is actually pretty good. All classes, races and content. What the sub gives you are perks like, increased mount speed, more bags, more xp. With the release of the expac late last year, this is a shit TON of content to enjoy. I mean more content than maybe any game out there with the exception of WoW, and only because that game has 9 years of content.

Seems like an all around good move. I've already heard from some friends who will now try it out with the FTP, that's the impact I'm sure Trion was hoping for. Before some of your heads explode, give it a shot. Don't trash the impact of FTP till we can quantify it.

Agree 100%

Every single person i know is interested about this.

I m a WoW fan but i ll cancel my sub as most of my rl friends. In conversations we had today in my guilds in WoW and GW2, many ppl are willing to follow too. Most of them were past subscribers but  others are interested too.

As Wicoa said above, This will shake up the industry a fair bit!

RIFT is a very nice game and the f2p model they implement really ROCKS!

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    As previously said, BTP with a cash shop IS the future of MMO's. the more companies get on board with this, the better. When we have a full convergence of games in this model, THEN the competition will be for the quality of the game. Once companies relax about subs and focus on content and complexity of the game, THEN we'll see progress. We're in the transition phase now, new game like TESO and Wildstar will likely adopt the BTP and cash shop either right off or soon after launch. IMO they should start immediately so that they can focus on keeping the population strong with good content.
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by monarc333

Agree 100%

Every single person i know is interested about this.

I m a WoW fan but i ll cancel my sub as most of my rl friends. In conversations we had today in my guilds in WoW and GW2, many ppl are willing to follow too. Most of them were past subscribers but  others are interested too.

As Wicoa said above, This will shake up the industry a fair bit!

RIFT is a very nice game and the f2p model they implement really ROCKS!

The main reason is I'm a little peeved at this is because i hate cash shops and how everytime you log in to these f2p games special offers are thrown into your face. I kinda accept that this is the direction the genre is moving, don't have to like it though.

• kizan0601kizan0601 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by MagusGW
     Sorry Trion ill add you to my F2P black list. You have lost another longtime player.

F2P blacklist???? LoL guess there is only 2 MMO's for you left to play until FF14arr comes out, for all the f2p haters you better start looking to console games as all mmo games will be f2p w/sub option before too much longer and yes this means wow too.

Originally posted by Instigator-Jones
    As previously said, BTP with a cash shop IS the future of MMO's. the more companies get on board with this, the better. When we have a full convergence of games in this model, THEN the competition will be for the quality of the game. Once companies relax about subs and focus on content and complexity of the game, THEN we'll see progress. We're in the transition phase now, new game like TESO and Wildstar will likely adopt the BTP and cash shop either right off or soon after launch. IMO they should start immediately so that they can focus on keeping the population strong with good content.

I'm pretty cynical about that. B2P model is one I will probably favor if I can't have P2P. But I can see it going the way of console games with DLC every month or so with new dungeons etc.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Need to contact customer support to get my account back since I lost my pw but their never open.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.