Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Well, I did it. I've beaten Neverwinter! (On my Guardian Fighter)

1356

Comments

  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,530Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Goob

    Good write-up.. thanks for sharing.

    I think this is good news for the game. I don't think there should be much of an issue with an enjoyable game that allows you to play for 80 fun hours at no cost. This will hopefully allow them to capture enough people to support the business while they slowly add content or at least fun social things to help foster the community.

    We all know that even with an unlimited budget, its near impossible to provide enough content to keep the hardcore players busy forever (WoW).

    I've never understood why developers won't risk taking the NexusTK route: sell XP for stats (health, mana). This way, the game never ends. You keep getting stronger and stronger as you fight monsters at max level. That may sound like a treadmill but when you boil it down, any end-game progression is pretty much the same. You could still couple this with new dungeons, gear, and PvP battleground tiers. Its really the community and social interaction that keeps the fun going strong anyway.

      Everyquest has existed for a very long time with roughly 18 expansions? I know games can't last forever with the content they produce but MMO's today are nothing compared to older ones.

    19 expansions now, the amount of content available in EQ is so far ahead of any other MMORPG its astounding. I've been playing EQ1 since march 1999. IMO still in my top 3 best MMOs of all time.

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Goob

    Good write-up.. thanks for sharing.

    I think this is good news for the game. I don't think there should be much of an issue with an enjoyable game that allows you to play for 80 fun hours at no cost. This will hopefully allow them to capture enough people to support the business while they slowly add content or at least fun social things to help foster the community.

    We all know that even with an unlimited budget, its near impossible to provide enough content to keep the hardcore players busy forever (WoW).

    I've never understood why developers won't risk taking the NexusTK route: sell XP for stats (health, mana). This way, the game never ends. You keep getting stronger and stronger as you fight monsters at max level. That may sound like a treadmill but when you boil it down, any end-game progression is pretty much the same. You could still couple this with new dungeons, gear, and PvP battleground tiers. Its really the community and social interaction that keeps the fun going strong anyway.

      Everyquest has existed for a very long time with roughly 18 expansions? I know games can't last forever with the content they produce but MMO's today are nothing compared to older ones.

    19 expansions now, the amount of content available in EQ is so far ahead of any other MMORPG its astounding. I've been playing EQ1 since march 1999. IMO still in my top 3 best MMOs of all time.

    19 now? Man they pump out new content faster than any other game I know. That's what I call dedication to the development of their game.

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • wordizwordiz Eugene, ORPosts: 464Member

    I could believe it, if he was playing from launch when things were really crackin and auction prices were high it's totally possible. I've been playing since about the same time as the OP and I'm usually a pretty hardcore/dedicated player. You really must have been pushin. I've put in lots of hours. I'm 60, don't have full t2 gear yet, but where I'm at there are still plenty of bosses and dungeons, especially Castle Never, to down still. 

    I don't see gear as everything. If you've truly cleared every boss and dungeon that's pretty impressive.

    They plan on adding 10 man content and the Gauntlgrym which is 20 vs 20 pvp  that unlocks access to a higher tier dungeon or something like that.

    So far a pretty cool game. Enjoying the dungeons and look forward to raiding. I will say, that the OP's experience isn't as common as he'd like us to think unless you're dedicating days on end without real life distraction and sleeping very very little. Plus, now that the launch rush has passed, things have slowed down, especially in off hours.

  • wordizwordiz Eugene, ORPosts: 464Member
    Wait.... 3 days? And you've been playing since launch? Launch was 11 days ago. Something is wrong with your math OP.
  • kompleksakikompleksaki ThessalonikiPosts: 81Member
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Nice write up and grats on level 60. I am also glad you pointed out that you were able to do what you did without spending any money in the cash shop, thus putting to rest about this being P2W or enchantment/rune dependent. Also if I may ask, what level were your companions at after you hit 60? Were you able to level multiple companions to max? Also are you thinking of maybe coming back once training books are introduced to move your companions to the next 2 tiers?

    Now, im not saying the game  is P2W, but reaching max level without paying is  common in many F2P games.

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by wordiz
    Wait.... 3 days? And you've been playing since launch? Launch was 11 days ago. Something is wrong with your math OP.

    I've /played the game for 3 days 3 hours. You can check the time in which you spent in the game. It tells you exactly how long you've played your character.

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,549Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by tkreep
    its sad that there are many single player games both old and modern where it takes much longer to reach max level than modern mmos...smh

     Isn't that odd?

     

    um,, what single player game?  Never taken me over 40 for any game, and I've played them all.  Unless you mean the pointless grinding well past what's needed to finish the game. 

     

    second, you want a game that takes longer to level up, why?  Is that as high as your standards go?  Is it good enough that every so often a number goes up by 1? 

     

    If an mmo wouldn't be fun enough to play without the level progression, then it's just not a good game, and surely there's something else more worthy of your time.

    Skyrim or the whole elder scrolls series in general and I remember old rpgs like final fantasy 7 had me playin over 100 hours, baulders gate, and i could say a lot more. In skyrim I must have had over 300 hours in one playthrough, the game doesnt even have a max level.

  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,549Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by tkreep
    its sad that there are many single player games both old and modern where it takes much longer to reach max level than modern mmos...smh

     Isn't that odd?

     

    um,, what single player game?  Never taken me over 40 for any game, and I've played them all.  Unless you mean the pointless grinding well past what's needed to finish the game. 

     

    second, you want a game that takes longer to level up, why?  Is that as high as your standards go?  Is it good enough that every so often a number goes up by 1? 

     

    If an mmo wouldn't be fun enough to play without the level progression, then it's just not a good game, and surely there's something else more worthy of your time.

    Because in a game where leveling up takes longer the journey is much more fun and rewarding than getting to end game. Try playing games like SWG, everquest, final fantasy 11...even better games without levels and just skill ups like Ultima Online.

  • OnomasOnomas Rock Hill, SCPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

     I did it... it took me 3 days and 3 hours to play through the game from 1-60 and then fully obtain my characters T2 set. I've essentially beaten the game and there's really not much else to do in it. 

     

    Pathetic excuse for a mmorpg then. 3 days content is what so many people get all worked up for? This is what our mmorpg's have become?

     

    image

  • furbansfurbans Tinbucktwo, IAPosts: 965Member
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I'm not buying this. Doesn't sound believable at all without spending cash. With the $200 founders pack, maybe, but not without. I mean, those mount upgrades cost a lot of AD... almost 3,000,000 in total. I can believe someone can power through the game and just grind the endgame tokens for the gear, that's easily done. I'm one piece off the full set of glory gear myself. 3 million AD though without paying and without exploiting? No chance.

    Ignorance is bliss?  You are just in denial just like the SWTOR fans were when people pointed out the deficiencies of SWTOR during the betas.  Not to mention the OP is a supporter of Neverwinter, or more precisely won't just make crap up to try to trash Neverwinter.

    This is only a prelude of what is to come.  Game isn't even in official "launch" and already people are "beating" the game which I find unsurprising as Cryptic content is very lacking.  And it shows that Cryptic is halfassing content and expecting and relying on the Foundry to keep players playing.

    Neverwinter I don't see having the staying power and will be desolate in a few months time.

  • MaelwyddMaelwydd CrawleyPosts: 1,123Member

    OP reminds me of my Grandmother.

    I used to do a lot of tabletop RP games. She would always ask me when I got back "Did you win?". It didn't matter how many times I told her the point of the game "wasn't to win but to enjoy playing the game and the company of others". She never really got it.

    Some people never will.

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

    OP reminds me of my Grandmother.

    I used to do a lot of tabletop RP games. She would always ask me when I got back "Did you win?". It didn't matter how many times I told her the point of the game "wasn't to win but to enjoy playing the game and the company of others". She never really got it.

    Some people never will.

     Oh it's completely true, if I feel like afking in town now and enjoying the company of others who have also completed the game I would ( If i felt like wasting my time in the game) or I could play another game and actually play through content on it instead. Or I go back to Everquest and experience 17 expansions of content that's actually worth a damn. However, Neverwinter was fun, but by no means does it have any longevity for even a moderately fast paced MMO fan.

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

     I did it... it took me 3 days and 3 hours to play through the game from 1-60 and then fully obtain my characters T2 set. I've essentially beaten the game and there's really not much else to do in it. 

     

    Pathetic excuse for a mmorpg then. 3 days content is what so many people get all worked up for? This is what our mmorpg's have become?

     

    image

    Don't get me wrong, the content was/is fun. But there's not much of a journey through the game like a lot of other MMO's you don't even get to bask in the glory of the gear you obtain from dungeons because it's replaced so fast. So yeah, if you're looking to pass the time with fast paced gameplay and dungeon crawling the game isn't bad. I'd recommend someone to play it. But I don't think I'd advise them into paying for anything on the cash shop because it's near worthless as there's nothing to really invest in.

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Sorry, Nothing against you, OP but I stopped reading at "Skip the lair of the mad dragon, it's too hard." 

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by furbans
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I'm not buying this. Doesn't sound believable at all without spending cash. With the $200 founders pack, maybe, but not without. I mean, those mount upgrades cost a lot of AD... almost 3,000,000 in total. I can believe someone can power through the game and just grind the endgame tokens for the gear, that's easily done. I'm one piece off the full set of glory gear myself. 3 million AD though without paying and without exploiting? No chance.

    Ignorance is bliss?  You are just in denial just like the SWTOR fans were when people pointed out the deficiencies of SWTOR during the betas.  Not to mention the OP is a supporter of Neverwinter, or more precisely won't just make crap up to try to trash Neverwinter.

    This is only a prelude of what is to come.  Game isn't even in official "launch" and already people are "beating" the game which I find unsurprising as Cryptic content is very lacking.  And it shows that Cryptic is halfassing content and expecting and relying on the Foundry to keep players playing.

    Neverwinter I don't see having the staying power and will be desolate in a few months time.

     I don't believe Vannor knows how to play the market well. It's fine if you don't believe me. You don't have to and I don't need  you to believe what I've achieved. However, if you're able to get ahead of people by vast amounts of time and sell the epic materials/equipment that drop you'll almost always make a fortune. With founders obtaining ridiculous amounts of AD at the beginning of the game many of the are more than willing to spend vast amounts for epics. I have sold tons of epics that put every piece of equipment from 38-59 to shame. We're talking gear that equates to T1 epics and you can obtain these early on if you play through many dungeons. 

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jonesing22

    Sorry, Nothing against you, OP but I stopped reading at "Skip the lair of the mad dragon, it's too hard." 

    That's fine you don't have to read. However, the mad dragon is almost an impossible feat for a well coordinated group. My team was easily able to take down the mad dragon in the epic dungeon which is significantly easier than the level 30-34 version of the dungeon.

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • wordizwordiz Eugene, ORPosts: 464Member
    Not everyone has the same definition of beating a MMO is basically what we can learn from this post.
  • Xaaz23Xaaz23 Crystal Lake, ILPosts: 22Member
    LOL - Take your GF and solo anything in the game with the best exploit in many MMO's to date. The game is rubbish and the exploits are rampant. It's not hard to get to 60, it's not hard to get full gear, it's not hard to exploit the hell out of this trash.
  • Xaaz23Xaaz23 Crystal Lake, ILPosts: 22Member
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by jonesing22

    Sorry, Nothing against you, OP but I stopped reading at "Skip the lair of the mad dragon, it's too hard." 

    That's fine you don't have to read. However, the mad dragon is almost an impossible feat for a well coordinated group. My team was easily able to take down the mad dragon in the epic dungeon which is significantly easier than the level 30-34 version of the dungeon.

     

    A GF can solo the Mad Dragon so i dunno wtf you are talking about. 3 hits, dead. Just have your T1 set on when you do and boom, anything in the game dead.

  • DogblasterDogblaster PraguePosts: 491Member
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Time to work on your alt (s) !!

    When you play mmo for 100 +- hours and you have nothing else to do than create alts .. well then the game failed BIG time. I expect to play for thousand(s) of hours before having urges to create alts ...

    sad ...

    anyways .. gzz :)

  • GrailerGrailer HamiltonPosts: 876Member Uncommon

    Well I beat the game without even grouping .  I haven't done T1 and T2 yet but clearly I can see where that is going so I honestly don't know if I could be bothered with the harassment of finding a decent group .

     

    It was fun going from level 1 to 60 , definitely not a grind ,  mindless fun mind you . I died a few times along the way . At level 60 my character felt weaker than it was at level 1 .. which kinda sucked .

     

     

  • evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

    The Cash shop is really not worth your time. I played through the entire game in 3 days and was able to obtain enough astral diamonds to afford upgrading my mount completely. I spent 0 dollars on the game and do not see any Pay-to-Win aspects as far as PvE or PvP in this game.

     

    What? Lies! Everyone on this forum says the game is Pay to Win! You couldn't possibly have beaten the game without paying large sums of money.

    Yeah I have T2s on my Control Wizard, a greater weapon enchant and most Rank 7s and have not spent a cent.  Foundry and PvP keeps it interesting. Not in any rush to head to the next game. Looking forward to new class releases and the Gauntylgrym zones.

    So yeah in short, the 'grind' isnt worth spending real cash on and the game is fun.  Not pay to win at all.

  • evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by Dogblaster
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Time to work on your alt (s) !!

    When you play mmo for 100 +- hours and you have nothing else to do than create alts .. well then the game failed BIG time. I expect to play for thousand(s) of hours before having urges to create alts ...

    sad ...

    anyways .. gzz :)

    There is plenty to do as long as you appreciate that your character isn't going to progress any further in terms of power. There are lots of foundry missions to run, or you can have fun in PvP. Or run dungeons just for fun and to sell some gear (make some money for when new content launches). What do you do in any other MMO once you have the best gear?

    Also to get to 60 in 3 days you would have had to either play non stop or exploit the foundry. That isn't a normal leveling time.

    Also you would not have the best level enchants. That's the real grind in this game.

  • DogblasterDogblaster PraguePosts: 491Member
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Dogblaster
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Time to work on your alt (s) !!

    When you play mmo for 100 +- hours and you have nothing else to do than create alts .. well then the game failed BIG time. I expect to play for thousand(s) of hours before having urges to create alts ...

    sad ...

    anyways .. gzz :)

    There is plenty to do as long as you appreciate that your character isn't going to progress any further in terms of power. There are lots of foundry missions to run, or you can have fun in PvP. Or run dungeons just for fun and to sell some gear (make some money for when new content launches). What do you do in any other MMO once you have the best gear?

    Also to get to 60 in 3 days you would have had to either play non stop or exploit the foundry. That isn't a normal leveling time.

    Also you would not have the best level enchants. That's the real grind in this game.

    I play mmorpgs for progression mainly. Playing mmorpgs just for fun only not working for me and never will ... just fun dont make me run same dungeons 1000 times, farm 100000 mobs, events, bgs or do some lame foundry .. I need progression in terms of something, better gear, more power or prestigue. For simple fun i rather play lol/dota or find new mmo where you cant max out your char in 2 weeks. I play mmorpgs as second life, fantasy one and I need something to keep me doing stuff, I am just not one of those who plays em for fun, level slowly, enjoy exploring, casuals .. etc. I consider myself as hc mmorpg player playing 8+ hours a day one game so i better have some goals to achieve.

     

  • PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,289Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

    The Cash shop is really not worth your time. I played through the entire game in 3 days and was able to obtain enough astral diamonds to afford upgrading my mount completely. I spent 0 dollars on the game and do not see any Pay-to-Win aspects as far as PvE or PvP in this game.

     

    What? Lies! Everyone on this forum says the game is Pay to Win! You couldn't possibly have beaten the game without paying large sums of money.

    Yeah I have T2s on my Control Wizard, a greater weapon enchant and most Rank 7s and have not spent a cent.  Foundry and PvP keeps it interesting. Not in any rush to head to the next game. Looking forward to new class releases and the Gauntylgrym zones.

    So yeah in short, the 'grind' isnt worth spending real cash on and the game is fun.  Not pay to win at all.

    its not pay to win exactly, as when you buy the keys to unlock those nightmare lockboxes, its pretty much a random drop, but, the first one i unlocked at level 11, dropped a longsword that was still better than the quest reward ones/loot drops at level 26, and i didnt replace it until level 30, and even then it still said it was the recommended item even though it did slightly less damage and had less power. but yeah, at the lower end it probably was more than a little overpowered, and may have been one of the reasons why killing things in game was 'relatively' easy, and i didnt die, and this was as a guardian fighter with a pet dog, at level 20 i decided to buy a pet cleric and their both now level 14, the dog and cleric that is. anyway, now level 30 and not a single death, but i didnt engage in pvp so i have no idea if the gloomwrought longsword was OP for that or not. i only spent £10 on buying zen and converting it to keys so i wouldnt exactly class that as paying much, as thats as much as you would pay in a month in a p2p game, however, it doesnt last long, and there are numerous methods in place to encourage you to spend even more, and while i ignored them, it has meant that i also didnt get a mount until level 29, and it took up almost all my gold to buy it. astral diamonds are in heavy use in the game, and if you intend to enchant your gear, which, imo is a good way to lose a hell of a lot of astral diamonds, as the runes you use to enchant gear is only transferable at a heavy cost in terms of astral diamonds, and you need as many runes as possible to fuse them and get better ones. any astral diamonds i had in game were used to recover rune stones so i could use them/fuse them to get better ones, if i had known ahead of time i would have just used level 1 runes, as recovering level 3 runes costs a fortune in astral diamonds.

Sign In or Register to comment.