Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FULL REVIEW...

legendairlegendair Member CommonPosts: 60

Neverwinter is very dear to my heart, it was one of those game that inspired me to waste my life on countless hours of dungeon crawling... and the God's of the video game hobby answered my prayers for a mmo of this franchise... or so I thought. 

FUN FACTOR: FAIL

PVE: It is a ZONED game meaning you go from one small area to another... some ZONED games are fun but this one well... the areas are so small and clamped you will finish them in less than 15 minutes and the sense of exploration is irrelevant because you keep running from mobs that spawn  in  less than 15 seconds as you make your way around.  All the mission are Identical save, collect, kill main boss in area.  It does not stray from this formula nor are there attempts to mix it up a little.  At level 9 the intrigue started to fall off and my bitter dissatisfaction with  game seems to be growing.  I can out run someone on a mount... the world is so ZONED what is the point of having a mount... oh yes... bragging rights and to make you spend more money.

PVP: One simple solution make a control wizard and enjoy destroying your adversaries.  Everyone seems to be a control wizard, heck even the top reviewers are even control wizards... "I wonder why?"  Maybe perhaps they are being paid by showing the control wizard as it is the class with the best spell animations... Don't believe me head to any youtube video and you will see they are playing as a control wizard...  The balance issues are horrendous so enjoy it now while it lasts...

GRAPHICS: FAIL

Be forewarned if you do not select vertical sync this game will fry your gpu.  The game has it's moments but in character creation the characters seem awkward as if to suffer from some kind of reta____________ ( I'll let you fill that one in).  I am not a fan of clay models because everything seems to shine... There are no graphic options at all, you are stuck by moving a cursor from left to right for Rendering and Textures that's it....   So your pc is at the mercy of these predetermined settings.  There is nothing new to see, HOWEVER there are moments that are quite nice but you only find these moments in dungeons.  It seems they concentrated more in the design in dungeons by balancing out graphics  yet they leave the outside world in a chaotic mess.  There was absolutely no thought into balancing the graphics for the average pc user because anything but above medium settings looks awful.   Amateur is the best way to put it...

F2P: FAIL

This game forces you to purchase everything... from the color of your clothes (by the way every single gear you find seems to be brown) to companions to mounts.. etc...  Some of you may say that's not true well it is... everything in the game that is free is mediocre to what you can buy from the gem store, everything.  Good luck fusing weapons without buying guaranteed items... 

PRESENTATION: FAIL

Every npc even when telling a story they seem to talk over each other, the cut scenes are so cheesy I cringe sometimes.  The npc models feel and look rushed and you can anticipate or predict what powers they will have.  Even the cinematic graphic movie is just really bad. There is nothing in this game that feels polished... nothing.

ADDICTIVE: PASS

After all this how can this game be addictive... it is pretty simple.  You manage to get to a mediocre level and at this point want to know what happens with the mediocre content.  It seems the game has a way of being the Las Vegas of every mmo.  If you are addicted to collecting, fusing weapons, creating content, exploiting and creating multiple characters well this game feeds on those weaknesses... Luckily I managed to quit before my own demons started kicking in.

SUMMARY:  Neverwinter has every single thing you hate about F2P... two words that sum up this game... Greed and Amateurish...   If you think you can play this game without the urge to purchase something good luck!!! Should you try this game?  Yes why not it's free... or so it seems... (grins)

P.S The foundry where you can make your own stories is just well...meh. I rather play minecraft...

ZONED, THEMEPARK OR SANBOX however you want to call it.. [mod edit]. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/634/view/forums/thread/379269/Is-the-world-open.html

Quotes from members:

"No you can't walk to those mountinas in the distance, the world is zoned and each zone is kind of small. I havent played Swtor so can't really compare."  Asm0deus

"isnt that how D&D is supposed to be?

Tight dungeons etc" -Arcona

"You can have an open world AND tight/wel designed dungeons. Problem is NW has neither. Just wait for foundry if you want good dungeon design. The normal Cryptic dungeons are generic as ****. -Hiron

"It's not an open world by design choice. The game is about doing dungeons in instances. People who don't like instanced content can just move on already, because they are not the target audience."  -Alber_gamer

[mod edit]

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by legendair

PVE: It is a sandbox game meaning you go from one small area to another... 

Originally posted by Ikeda

This Review:  FAIL

Seriously, wasted my time reading that garbage.  You get your info from Reddit/4chan?  I'd gladly report this for the drivel it is, but it's already been reported by someone else.

You could have know it to be a FAIL review when OP stated that Neverwinter is a PvE sandbox (which is where I stopped reading...). Obviously OP never has even set foot in Neverwinter or he'd not call it a sandbox to start with...

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

So far, I enjoy Neverwinter, very surprising for me knowing it is from two companies I REALLY do not like. But it's a lot fun for me so far...

And as far as your "review" goes, it's terrible.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Ikeda

This Review:  FAIL

Seriously, wasted my time reading that garbage.  You get your info from Reddit/4chan?  I'd gladly report this for the drivel it is, but it's already been reported by someone else.

Agreed.  I mean, seriously, dude makes just about every mistake you should avoid in a review.  This thread should be retitled "Whining about stuff I don't understand"

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    I'm pretty sure the OP doesn't even know what Sandbox means and confused it with Themepark, stopped reading after he said sandbox.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Neverwinter is very dear to my heart, it was one of those game that inspired me to waste my life on countless hours of dungeon crawling... and the God's of the video game hobby answered my prayers for a mmo of this franchise... or so I thought. 

PVE: It is a sandbox game meaning you go from one small area to another... some sandbox games are fun but this one well...

And here I am thinking I actually got the chance to read a player made FULL REVIEW!!

Instead I couldn't read past the highlighted red part.

• Sp00shSp00sh Member Posts: 48
    I enjoy the game!  That's all that matters to me!
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

well at least he is good at pot-trolling.

This have been a good conversation

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Soon as I saw the word sandbox I stopped right there. 
  • VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by jonesing22

HAHAHAHA I read the whole thing and had to laugh.

My doubt of your review started when you said something about 'sandbox' ....

Try to troll more.

Dont think its a troll, just some random guy who doesnt know the difference between sandbox and themepark

• abyss404abyss404 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    sandbox

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

But the game is easily, by definition, "fail".

They have succeeded in doing NOTHING well...

Environment art? Horrible. Badly tiled textures, lack decent spec and normal maps, if any at all.

Character models? Gawd awful. Looks like they were from 10 years ago and done by interns.

Simple minded 1 weapon classes? Extreme Fail. There is no excuse for that. None. They didnt want to put the time and effort in, or they were incapable of designing classes and the combat to go with them.

Every aspect of the game screams "amateur". Cryptic might as well have hired high school kids with no experience to make it because thats what it looks and feels like.

It is a slap in the face to the franchise, the fans and the genre. Any developer who worked on this title should and would be embarrassed.

How far cryptic has fallen.

None of this ^ is an exaggeration. The game truly is horrible, and as we have seen time and time again... kids and their f2p behaviors will result in this game getting praise and then quickly forgotten for the next f2p game they squeel off to.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Hmmm. Call me old fashioned but how the hell can you FULL REVIEW a mmo this soon. Surely FULL REVIEW wether good or bad can only be done several months after release of any mmo.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Varthander
    Originally posted by jonesing22

HAHAHAHA I read the whole thing and had to laugh.

My doubt of your review started when you said something about 'sandbox' ....

Try to troll more.

Dont think its a troll, just some random guy who doesnt know the difference between sandbox and themepark

I also stopped when he used the "sandbox" word.  The game is what it is, it doesn't pretend.  It reminds me of Diablo and Dungeon Siege, which is fair enough by me.  It's also utterly free to play if you are so minded so if you don't like it, just move on somewhere else OP and stop repeating the same old criticisms as if no-one is actually aware of the flaws and as if you've had a sudden, blinding revelation.  We know.  We know.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Everyone just seemed to get quite... perhaps some of you should learn the technical aspects of what certain technical terms mean... the game IS TECHNICALLY sandboxed... look it up in the dictionary.  

HAHAHAH

"This genre is defined by a free roaming environment where players have the maximum allowable choices. Usually the in game story is not very important to the game, and allows players to roam freely without very many constraints."

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-definition-and-meaning-of-sandbox-role-playing-games

So can you please show me:

Free-roaming.  I'm sure every game is constrainded to have some walls but I'd like to see the walk from the bridge to the city or maybe to Underdark.  Can you tell me how I can free-roam to underdark currently?

Maximum choices.  I'd like to be a bow wielding mage please.

Game story isn't important.  Except that this game is nothing BUT stories.. with a shiny firefly path.

Without very many constraints.  (see all my other points)

Dude, this is themepark through and through and it doesn't stop your review from failing.  But this post shows me you only care about stirring up trouble.  So I'll report this one as well. 

I wonder if Amana's has had their coffee for the morning yet...

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

Although the reviewer is venting for the most part, he's not wrong. In a month when all the fanboi's wake up they will realize how terrible this game really is.

Glad someone on this site isn't scared to review this game.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    To be fair...its not a sandbox.
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Expressing opinions is fine, but when you become combative, that's not quite the way to go about it. Also, reversing that, if someone makes an error or misuses a term, correcting them politely is the thing to do, not tossing around accusations. 

I'm keeping this locked, however.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.