Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Rift: Going Free to Play June 12th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion Worlds is ready to rock the MMO-niverse with today's announcement that Rift is officially going free to play with no restrictions, no pay gates, nothing that bars a player from experiencing the game in its totality. We caught up to Creative Director Bill Fisher to find out more. Rock your world and then head to the comments with your reactions.

MMORPG: Many of the gaming populace see the shift from subscription to F2P as a sort of swan song or last ditch effort for a game to stay alive.  How do you combat this stigma?

Bill Fisher: I think that as time has passed people really are more accepting.  Will there be a stigma for a subset of folks out there?  Sure.  It really isn't our job to combat the stigma though - it's our job to make RIFT the best possible game we can.  We feel that the game can speak for itself and letting more people experience it really is the next logical step on the road of continual improvement. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's Rift: Going Free to Play on June 12th.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BoognisheBoognishe Member Posts: 83
    I don't blame them.  F2P w/ subscriptions seems like a lucrative deal..
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

This is taken from their website

"Why is RIFT going free-to-play?

Because players prefer free games!"

LOL well actually players prefer good games.. but free will do if a good game is not available haha j/k

• Beyond_EterniaBeyond_Eternia Member UncommonPosts: 102

Not shocked, they all do anymore. WoW remains supreme...hahahaha :p

Time you enjoy wasting...is not wasted time
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    IMO if they put in any buyable with rl cash gear thats is anywhere near equil to raid gear, is going to destroy the end game pretty much, Should keep any gear out of the cash shop. I'd personally buy some wardrobe outfits if they were priced like 5 bucks for a set, but I refuse to pay 10 or more for a deco outfit. Give me a maid outfit with the hairband and I will buy that in a second.

Also they say they don't want to seregate, yet they seregated the pve and pvp crouds due to pvp gear having an extra special stat, that kinda proves they are lying right there imo. If I raid I should be able to do both without having to grind out a pvp gearset.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    I like Rift I hope they have a good FTP and premium model that will let me check out the game at my leisure

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Sad to hear this, always had a bit of a soft spot for Rift even though I haven't played it in a while.

With Hartman gone it was only a matter of time, but, honestly, if they think this will fix what's wrong with the game or bring in a long term increase in the playerbase I think they're fooling themselves -- and badly.

Time will tell, I suppose, but if there's ever anything more than the usual initial announcement of how successful the conversion was, followed by the usual deafening silence, I'll be very, very surprised.

• MalkosMalkos Member UncommonPosts: 19

"Great items that can be purchased with Credits must be obtainable by playing the game."

No no no no no no no, bad!

Bad bad bad!

Never! Never ever never ever EVER sell items for real money, ever! Regardless if they're not the best items in game, you NEVER sell gear for cash. Only cosmetics!

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    After swtor revealed their sub numbers while being f2p I think they realized they would earn more money this way.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

"and no we are not jacking up the exp curve for free players or penalizing them"

Lol, nice one.

Edit: as in nice punch at TOR if I wasn't clear enough above :)

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Cool ! I´m going to try it
  • GnarvGnarv Member UncommonPosts: 38
    So Dendrome will arrive at that time. Dendrome being a big patch.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

RIFT was the last of the first gen Theme Parks. I played for 10 months. Well made game with some original content and very good Wpvp. It delivered meaningful permanent content at an incredible pace. Trion was in a good place. 

RIFT was too much of the same though, nearly an exact clone of WoW. In fact RIFT nearly out WoW'd WoW and was the first to take subs from WoW. 

Since then Trion has been a complete disappointment. Nearly no original thought, and shoddy implementation of what could be seen as "almost" different at best.

Trion's last two projects, the scrapped End of Nations RTS, and the disappointing, technical nightmare, 3rd person shooter Defiance, makes me question was Trion even a good company at all, or where the just great copy pasters riding the success of Blizzard.

I don't expect to see any mmorpgs from Trion any time soon, if ever. If Arche Age fails we maybe reading about Trion closing it's doors within the next 2 years.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • EiviEivi Member Posts: 96

I read the Title, skimmed the interview, checked the FAQ, Unsubbed.

FTP isn't for me.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Skullagrim

That being said i think you will never see another subscription game out of Blizzard.

This have been a good conversation

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    About time TRION changes RIFT to Fre2Play or sad to see them do it..? I'm in doubt there. I think RIFT is a good game (not my style though and not gonna play again when it's free) that can easily stay subscription based. But if they want to make 'big bucks' then Free2Play is the way to go indeed. Lets hope they won't mess up their game though with a Pay2Win cash shop.
  • AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    This has me really excited actually. Can't wait to get back into the game.
  • Sp00shSp00sh Member Posts: 48
    I never could convince my friends to play this game.  But now, GAME ON!!!  Thank you for F2P I will definitely be coming back to Rift now!
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

wow i may revisit thsi game and play it.

last i played it was on its released date (a week). years ago.

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

I support this move. The pace of new content has dramatically slowed down and by all reports the population was dropping, probably as a result of being one of the last "old guard" of the subscription model. This will, without doubt, ensure I go back to the game and finish leveling and probably even spend a few dollars to support one of the best MMOs out there today. And with any luck, lots of other players will come to that same conclusion about RIFT's quality.

That said, I'm concerned about them selling "great items" for credits. You can earn them in-game, so that's good, but it runs the risk of devaluing people's efforts in actually playing.Selling rep boosters also incentives designing towards longer grinds you have to visit the cash shop. 

That's the fundamental problem with F2P -- and I don't mind the model. Instead of focusing on creating great content, you get an attention split between great design and manipulating players into spending money. Do it even slightly wrong and people get angry, ala LotRO.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Skullagrim

i think youll be shocked come Blizzcon, little fella.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Now thats something. One of the 4-5 top mmo's i played the last 10 years. Quit mostly due to low pop servers. If they make a TERA like f2p system and GOD NOT A SWTOR like, then this game has the potential to erase of the mmo market many of its competitors.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Ultimately, that RIFT could remain P2P for a few good years were as other P2Ps and B2Ps had to go F2P within 6 months shows that at least RIFT delivered somewhere (even if LOTRO and DDO lasted longer in that regard)

I'm not particularly a fan of Themeparks, but I'd be lying if I said that I hadn't enjoyed RIFT a little for what it had to offer, even if I never subbed to the game. If anything, RIFT might just be a game I could play on and off to kill some time, and if I end up enjoying it enough, then I wouldn't mind subbing or spending money on the Cash Shop.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I finally unsubbed like 3 days ago because I am short on money and there are a lot of F2P options out there.  It looks like I will be back playing Rift in just a few more days!  This is an absolutely fantastic game and what it lacks in making a strong first impression with its sort of generic looking world, it makes up for in polish and constant updates.  Trion is my favorite dev right now because of the speed of updates and how they listen to their customers so closely.

Here is what I am hoping for with F2P:

1)  Huge influx of players.

2)  More ganking.

3)  More people buying and selling.

4)  More people out questing.

Here is what will most likely come along for the ride:

1)  More chat trolling and anti-social F2P kiddies.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Thinking about this move... Might is also have something to do with ArcheAge that TRION will be hosting..?
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by Raventree

Here is what will most likely come along for the ride:

1)  More chat trolling and anti-social F2P kiddies.

Or as its known in WoW, players.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.