Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help ! I'm terrible

sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

LOL

Decided to try out PS2 after getting the shooter bug (although not fully quenched) with Defiance.  but as a long time MMO player with 0 shooter experience,  I have done very little but die so far. (Played EVE last year and half)

I am watching the tutorial videos which do help, but still seem to do a lot of dying and not a  lot of killing

Do the points make a big difference like gear in other MMO (I wont do well until can spend some points)

Should I try to look for a noob friendly outfit (been too embarassed so far) ?

I want to learn

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I'm afraid its mainly down to your skill with fps games and I am sure that will come in time.. there is no magic gun or item in the game that will make it easier to kill people.. well saying that the weapons all have different styles of play really so maybe one of them suits you better.

oh yeah and look for a noob friendly outfit, if your not working with a squad then you will find it a lot harder.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I tried it once... I'm averageably bad at BF3 so thought I'd give it a go but 10 deaths and zero kills made me quit quickly.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Did you play with a squad ? its something you need to do to get the best out of the game.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by sycofiend

LOL

Decided to try out PS2 after getting the shooter bug (although not fully quenched) with Defiance.  but as a long time MMO player with 0 shooter experience,  I have done very little but die so far. (Played EVE last year and half)

I am watching the tutorial videos which do help, but still seem to do a lot of dying and not a  lot of killing

Do the points make a big difference like gear in other MMO (I wont do well until can spend some points)

Should I try to look for a noob friendly outfit (been too embarassed so far) ?

I want to learn

If you are soloing there will always be a lot of dieing and not much killing in that game.  A solo player can do ok but will never be able to really keep up against a squad with voice comms and there are a lot of those players in game.  So yea finding a outfit will help you a ton or at the very least try and tag along with a outfit either attacking or defending.

Points don't matter as much as gear in MMO's but they can help.  A few ranks in armor can mean the difference between surviving a near miss grenade and respawning but it's not as cut and dry as gear based games.  Points also give you options which is always nice to have.

Overall PS2 is a really good game that I enjoy in small bursts.  I don't play it enough to waste a outfits time by joining so I just resolve to a lower K/D ratio when I do which is ok with me.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Press esc, look for open platoons, join one, if they communicate well stick with it and follow orders. If they just wander about aimlessly, leave it join another. You will find a good outfit that way, also if you are running with an organised group they will have fully fitted out sunderers, air support etc..

Go the vr training area, experiment with all the classes and vehicles.

A quick way to level up, use engineer, repair everything. Spend cert points in making a sunderer deployable and in vehicle mines. Every time someone loans at your sunderer you get xp, the mines will kill vehicles after you left a base and get you bonus xp too.

Finally you get mire xp in groups so its always worth grouping, even if your team mayest agent particularly tactically sound.

Finally don't worry about k/d ratios. I've only just got mine upto 1/1 after 6 months play. It's easy to get good k/d just by sniping from range or fitting a fighter for killing ground targets - but them guys aren't actually achieving much. Rather be in the thick of the action and have say 20 kills and 25 deaths than be out on the fringes sniping and have 6 kills and 1 death.

If your twitch skills aren't great, you can still contribute to a team by healing, fixing stuff, hacking, setting traps, transporting people around etc..

The two rules of ps2
    1 if you're doing it right, expect to die, a lot
    2 teamwork is more important than individual skill.
    Also you will want to join some experienced platoon so you understand some it the archaic terminology and basics of base taking.

E.g. you will get to know the drill of taking shield generators, perhaps teleported, then the scu, then the capture points. You will learn not to bliw up terminals as its usually better to hack them. You might get to do some fun things like a galaxy drop or a max loaded sunderer drive in.

Also don't spend any money on weapons or what have you until you've tried them out I'm the be area.

However having said that, if you like the max class a second anti air weapon is well worth getting, you get lots of certs taking put aircraft with maxes.

Good cert spends are c4, mines, jet pack upgrades, mid range sights, laser sights, cloak, heavy shield, healing grenades
  • sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

HUGE THANKS for all the thoughtful replies , you were all 200% correct, I joined an outfit last night and it was like playing a completely different game,.

I also see what you mean about the mechanics / terminology was starting to pick up on that a bit last night, its a bit overwhelming at first having zero experience in the genre.

made a couple friends and plan on sinking some time into PS2, glad I tried it and also that I listened to all your advice

I am still terrible, but I at least I am starting to know what I don't know, and where I need to improve.

:0)

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Hey there,  I want to add this to help you with your experience of playing this game:

1. Killing is not everything -

ya people and outfits will clamor for grabbing the twitchiest of soldiers, but those who do support, or non killing roles have a just as strong importance.

a. galaxy pilot either for transporting soldiers point A to B, or a pilot of a gunner crew, 

b. sunderer driver, either for transporting troops to locations, OR can be set up as a mobile ammo/repair depot for vehicles that dont want to drive all the way back to the nearest outpost to rearm/repair

c. medic, even though medics are capable of killing (alot) they can also do quite abit of healing

these rolls in the CURRENT state of the game offer average to pretty good experience point gain when your in a heated battle

2. Indirect Combat is a option-

If aiming at your enemy is not your strong suit,  you do have other options of killing your enemies using land mines or having your fellow allies kill people for you

a. Tank mines -  you can cause abit of havok as a Engineer laying tank mines  in the battlefield, its important to predict the direction of where the enemy will attack next for it to be effective

b. proximity mines - mines for soldiers,  laying them in bases and moving on to other places does wonders

c. C4 -  remote controlled, can hide around a rock and wait for victims to get near you  or  have it set up with your tank mines to double the damage (this may have been taken out or soon to be changed due to it being too effective =/ )

d. spotting enemies- you can spot important targets for greenies to shoot at, no enemy wants their important assets to be visible let alone targetted, esspecially if they need it to take a base

gaining experience in this route varies, and takes patience.

the more you play (and die..sorry, dying alot is mandatory no matter what K/D you have) the more you will grow and find a role or style you are most comfortable in. that also involves choice of weapons. 

Also the infiltrators anti personal mines are fun.

Try this out.
    1 sneak up to an enemy turret
    2 plant an anti personal mine on it
    3 hack it
    4 run like hell, while the guy in it goes wtf?