Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: UPDATE: The MMORPG.com GW2 Invitational Tournament

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

MMORPG.com and ArenaNet present the inaugural MMORPG.com Guild Wars 2 Invitational Tournament! Eight of the most elite 5-man teams in the GW2 community face off for ArenaNet swag and GW2 Gems, as eSports makes its way into Tyria.

We'll be hosting the event on our official MMORPG.com Twitch.tv channel at 12PM PDT (7PM GMT) on Sunday, May 26 2013. The tournament will feature a single-elimination format in matches decided by a best of three and the grand finals in a best of five. Teams will be limited to five players with locked gear and builds. 

The following maps will be in rotation:

• Forest of Nifhel

• Battle of Khylo

• Legacy of the Foefire

Each map will be set for a 500 point victory condition with individual respawns set on a 15-second timer.

The event will be shoutcasted by John "BLU" Mullen with a co-caster to be decided.

Winning Prize: 10,000 Gems and ArenaNet Swag for the Winning Team to Split

Editor's Note: All eight (8) teams have been registered, and we'll be announcing the line-up soon!  We're still looking for more teams as alternates, so please feel free to email me at editor at mmorpg dot com!

Comments

• DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Should be a lot of fun to watch - I like Blu's casting.

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Sounds good. Can't wait to see it.

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    I can't wait sweet Blu is doing the casting!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    looking forward to it!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Sasori_japSasori_jap Member UncommonPosts: 23
    omg! cant wait!
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

GW2 PvP = Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Anet ruined PvP in GW2. No GW PvP veteran plays GW2 PvP. It is crap beyond belief.

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

Anet ruined PvP in GW2. No GW PvP veteran plays GW2 PvP. It is crap beyond belief.

Funny... I thought both games were Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Isn't that why they decided to change it for GW2? They said they were gona give abilities MOBA like flexibility but they failed greatly on most fronts.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Reizlanzer
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

Funny... I thought both games were Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Isn't that why they decided to change it for GW2? They said they were gona give abilities MOBA like flexibility but they failed greatly on most fronts.

The original GW has an extremely loyal following so not sure what you're talking about. It's still a pretty great game too.

Smile

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Ok ... nice... WOW arena tournament here we come, only with less abilities, here you need to spam only one button in wow you have at least 10-20. This could be super super boresome, how i can remember they said something at the start of the game about being different ....Elite in GW2=who can hit over 200X per minute the same button on keyboard :)
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

...sigh...

Well I guess its something to draw attention, even if its not exactly the best pvp by far, but hey, it could be fun for those who do like the game.

• XtrizXtriz Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Ok ... nice... WOW arena tournament here we come, only with less abilities, here you need to spam only one button in wow you have at least 10-20. This could be super super boresome, how i can remember they said something at the start of the game about being different ....Elite in GW2=who can hit over 200X per minute the same button on keyboard :)

I hope your kidding with they keys? I dont know other classes but Elementalist have a lot of keys that i need to use. I using 24 keys with Elementalist D/D build.

I dont say GW2 it's a harder game than WoW, but both its hard and its different gamestyle. Both games need a lot of tactics. GW2 need very much teamplay because of the cap mode with treb. Need a lot of rotation and more.

GW2 it's a really nice PvP game :)

Like Fantasy Sidescroller? Join http://blixtenquest.com now !

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

if you thik gw2 pvp is all about spamming 1-2 buttons your ignorant and didnt even played the game

for your info there are interrupts, CC, and other sweet combos you can do not only spam 1 button

theres more strategy required than in your precious WoW game with 10000 abilities

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by saurus123

if you thik gw2 pvp is all about spamming 1-2 buttons your ignorant and didnt even played the game

for your info there are interrupts, CC, and other sweet combos you can do not only spam 1 button

theres more strategy required than in your precious WoW game with 10000 abilities

I kinda agree with him. A lot of people say that in WoW you have 20-30 abilities from which you only ever use like 1-5 so it's the same (or worse) than GW2. But when I was playing WoW's arenas that couldn't be farther from the truth. You had to use a lot of different abilities and cooldown management is key in WoW. Blowing off a cool-down at the wrong time can cost you the game. I found WoW's arenas much more intense. There was a lot of timing and co-ordination of abilities between your team members which you had to get right. This was especially important as you progressed up the ladder.

And contrary to what the poster above me says in WoW button mashing is not going to get you anywhere. In GW2 all your abilities have a cooldown but the CDs are fairly short so that encourages people to use them as soon as their off the cooldown so that they can use them more. In WoW most abilities which have cooldowns have fairly long timers, most are 2 min+ some can be as high as 5-10 minutes. So it's really important to make them count rather than button mash.

And of course, the very "smart" poster above accuses other posters of being stupid and IMMEDIATELY brings in the gear argument and claims superior skill because he plays GW2. The need to compare skill between games and to claim that because you play game X rather than Z means that you're more skilled is just facepalm. How pathetic is that?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

Haha i do love Blu but GW2 is a snorefest, watching PVP streams of the game literally send me to sleep.

But can't wait till LOL and Dota 2 tourney's in the coming weeks, now that is a game to watch.

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by saurus123

I kinda agree with him. A lot of people say that in WoW you have 20-30 abilities from which you only ever use like 1-5 so it's the same (or worse) than GW2. But when I was playing WoW's arenas that couldn't be farther from the truth. You had to use a lot of different abilities and cooldown management is key in WoW. Blowing off a cool-down at the wrong time can cost you the game. I found WoW's arenas much more intense. There was a lot of timing and co-ordination of abilities between your team members which you had to get right. This was especially important as you progressed up the ladder.

And contrary to what the poster above me says in WoW button mashing is not going to get you anywhere. In GW2 all your abilities have a cooldown but the CDs are fairly short so that encourages people to use them as soon as their off the cooldown so that they can use them more. In WoW most abilities which have cooldowns have fairly long timers, most are 2 min+ some can be as high as 5-10 minutes. So it's really important to make them count rather than button mash.

And of course, the very "smart" poster above accuses other posters of being stupid and IMMEDIATELY brings in the gear argument and claims superior skill because he plays GW2. The need to compare skill between games and to claim that because you play game X rather than Z means that you're more skilled is just facepalm. How pathetic is that?

Well he doesn't know that almost all teams in wow arena have top gear. But anyway who cares

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

@fivoroth, @bulabula - have you ever played structured pvp with a team versus a good team in Gw2? Claiming that WoW's combat is more intense is just hillarious. All you have to do is have a squad protecting your healer and tank nullifying enemy's healers o.o". How is that hard and how does it requires cooldown management? 

Do you forget that at any given second every single opponent of yours can DODGE any of your superb/CC/whatever skills? And you can blow a useful skill OR elite which takes a lot to charge IN THE WIND, doing absolutely NOTHING. This is a huge problem, because you don't have healer to look over your sorry ass if you screw up. You screw up and you die it's simple as that. You have faulty strategy and decent opponent and you die.

While I'm certain that in WoW I can get out just by mashing random keys I WILL kill someone because that someone can't dodge me or either step away of my fire. They can do that in Gw2. So ... yeah ... go play some more and check the differences. 

P.S: Did some bunker Ele made you cry guys? xD

• Sasori_japSasori_jap Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by NaMeNaMe

Haha i do love Blu but GW2 is a snorefest, watching PVP streams of the game literally send me to sleep.

But can't wait till LOL and Dota 2 tourney's in the coming weeks, now that is a game to watch.

I dont know about you but i stay away from games that i find a "snorefest" and dont post on their articles. So you either have serious problems or you are just an attention whore.

• GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47
    This is going to be fun!
    :-)
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Hmm... it's amazing how you can sound like you know what you're talking about while at the same time demonstrating that you don't. The absolute worst way to play GW2 combat is to spam off cooldown. The skills often have multiple facets to them and a lot flat out don't make sense to spam whatsoever. A nice simple example would be the mesmer greatsword, because I'm intimately familiar with it. (To those not familiar, the great sword is a ranged weapon in the hands of a mesmer.)

Great sword skill 1 (GS1) is your basic auto-attack laser of doom. It does more damage the further away the enemy is. It also passes through enemies in line to the target, damaging them as well.

GS2 throws an illusionary great sword at your foe. It has a bounce effect, bouncing between foes and allies, giving allies might. It also creates a clone at the initial target. While this wound be tempting to fire immediately due to a relatively low cooldown, sometimes you're better to wait... you may have an ally or another foe closing in that the bounce could effect or you may have max clones up at the moment and wish to shatter first.

GS3 is Mindstab. You jam your sword into the ground, it appears out of the ground at your target doing AoE damage and removing a boon. It's also one of the few skills with a rooting effect while using. Don't use this while maintaining distance, you'll lose it. DO use it when you see an enemy pop a regen buff or any other buff you want to remove and can afford a couple second of non-movement.

GS4 is a crippling phantasm. Does nice damage, cripples all foes it hits. Longer cd makes this a nice opener and one worth holding onto in case you need some CC effects.

GS5 is clearly a foolish skill to spam. It's a push back, pushing back all foes in front of you with a wave of energy. You use it to create distance, not to maintain it. It IS, however, great fun when you have the foes backed up to the edge of a cliff...

Let's not forget the utilities, with much longer cooldowns and greater situational use, as well as weapon swapping for a new set of weapon skills and their myriad facets. Also there are profession specific abilities (shatters on mesmer, for example), there's dodging, there's various heals with nice effects (I use my mesmer heal "Mirror" often as a weapon. It reflects projectiles while healing you.) Then there are traits, which can drastically change how you play your character.

Combat in GW2 can tricky to get the feel for, easy to actually learn, but it's fairly difficult to master. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol wow players calling out another game on pvp.

I don't care for Esports, but gw2 seems much better setup for it than wow. Wow is just fotm builds and gear. Wow is afterall a raiding game ran by a bunch of former EQ raiders, at least arenanet are pvp fans.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Hey guys,

Let's keep this discussion focused on the tournament itself. If you want a general discussion on GW2 PvP, please feel free to create one in the appropriate forum. Thanks!

• UltimaStarkUltimaStark Member Posts: 1

my team wanna play that tourney...

we need practice :

i dont find the registerbuttons for pvp...

Team: Made in Meta

Members: Suldaris, Azani, Sam, Mouby  and Ultima

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    /approve
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by MikeB

MMORPG.com and ArenaNet present the inaugural MMORPG.com Guild Wars 2 Invitational Tournament!

Awesome!!

Eight of the most elite 5-man teams in the GW2 community.......

@#$&;!!

• Master.RyuMaster.Ryu Member UncommonPosts: 52

...because WoW offers you the ablity to dodge in order to get the edge on your opponents and Guild Wars 2 doesn't, right? Oh wait..