Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good game, ruined by outrageously price cash shop

4Renziks4Renziks Member UncommonPosts: 390
These prices are a total rip off...something most be wrong...so for 1 extra bag is 15 bucks? for a rock guy 30bucks? for a mount 45bucks...no way...someone wake me up..these prices are wrong right?

playing: Dragon Age
Waiting: for FF14, Mass Effect
Want to try: Fallen Earth

Comments

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Thats why i stoped playing. Could of been a great game if it wasnt for the prices.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by 4Renziks
    These prices are a total rip off...something most be wrong...so for 1 extra bag is 15 bucks? for a rock guy 30bucks? for a mount 45bucks...no way...someone wake me up..these prices are wrong right?

Nope. This is PWE and the holy F2P concept for you.

Next to the horrible F2P community now in Neverwinter I ditched the game and won't be looking back.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    And to make it even more extreme, you can not actually play (unless you want to be seriously gimped) without paying.

• maple2maple2 Member UncommonPosts: 161

hahha i dont know if u people are just stupid or anything but a game with  a cash shop that cost alot of money is nothing new... and also Neverwinter is probly the best F2P game that exist in the market.. and also u quit because of the prices are you somewhat dumb?

so you dont quit wow cause its not expensive?

• SlytheSlythe Member UncommonPosts: 952

I don't even understand why people would pay for that stuff, in a game where pvp doesn't matter. F2P seriously need to die a horrible, quick death.

Bring back the monthly subs, which would help eliminate a LOT of the douche bag people you encounter in these types of games.

Originally posted by maple2

hahha i dont know if u people are just stupid or anything but a game with  a cash shop that cost alot of money is nothing new... and also Neverwinter is probly the best F2P game that exist in the market.. and also u quit because of the prices are you somewhat dumb?

This is the type of person you encounter in F2P games. Have fun, guys.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

make a party where everyone is welcome, a lot of people you dont know will arrive, and you will offer them a cake.

This cake will be the best they have ever eaten, they will say thanks and just leave the party. Even they saw the tipp box at the exit they won't spend a cent.

This is community living, we should try to live with those:D

Just to forget those offer, they will tell themself it was a bad cake to forget it fast.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

I'd call people quitting games with absurd prices smart not stupid. Vote with your wallet.

Here here.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    And to make it even more extreme, you can not actually play (unless you want to be seriously gimped) without paying.

This is not true.

You can easily get to level 60 without paying anything and enjoy the game.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

The prices are blown out of proportions but it was expected since it's PWE behind it.

I don't really understand, wouldn't it be better if prices were 5-10-15$... That way more people would buy it and they'd get alot more money and players wouldn't feel they're being ripped off xD

It is F2P game and I don't expect them to give it to us just like that, but with this kind of prices they aren't doing anything good for themselves. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by korent1991

The prices are blown out of proportions but it was expected since it's PWE behind it.

I don't really understand, wouldn't it be better if prices were 5-10-15$... That way more people would buy it and they'd get alot more money and players wouldn't feel they're being ripped off xD

You se this argument alot.

However I would like to see the evidence for this? Seeing as this is a "simple" maximisation problem, I find it interesting that we have so many gamers who are better economists than those we assume to be employed by the gaming companies, and seemingly have no clue how to get max revenue from their games.

Are we assuming the companie shave no clue how to gauge prices, and simply pull out numbers from their arses, not looking at their previous offereings and the revenue levels these games yielded at certain pricepoints?

It is F2P game and I don't expect them to give it to us just like that, but with this kind of prices they aren't doing anything good for themselves. 

Because they know that a lot of people have the money to burn, and those people would pay $45 to have a "cool" mount that makes them feel special.

The whole mount thing is hilarious to me in this game. I can see needing a mount in a BIG game with a huge world, but in this game you really don't even need one. And yet, some morons (yes, I said morons) are paying 45 bucks for one.

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    What really sucks is the keys for those damn lockboxes for 5 its 10 bucks and its easy to get 30 to 40 lockboxes in a day or 2 of play. so they really need to put it where you can buy keys in game.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I think you greatly underestimate the desire to pay for convenience, and as long as the items does not cost more then a normal game/ nice dinner/ night out/ visit  to the cinema people will not bat an eyelid when it comes to paying for entertainment (because that is what it comes down to)

So if it works well now.. why lower the prices and hope that the increase in sales covers the loss in revenue. After all it would be bad if they lowered the prices and then had to raise them again because the increase in sales did not materialize. PWE know this.. NWN is not the first F2P game they run.

This have been a good conversation

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

There are two ways to set prices for F2P.

1) High prices to attract few high spenders.

2) Low prices to attract a lot of low spenders.

Considering it's a mmorpg which strives on population, why not go the smart way and offer low prices for a lot of buyers instead of shitface prices for few heavy spenders.

I just don't see the point in grinding my ass off for the same result other players get for 100$'s.

The game itself is great and I wouldn't hesitate if they took the CS crap out of the game and opened a P2P  server.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

There is a saying:

sell high and less
    sell low and more

Buy to play / free to play are welcome as it keeps the game alive over longer periods....if developers know how to balance that cash shop.

But that seems to be a realy hard task...
    We are going trough a strange time with current mmo's.

The thing with subs these days is that many people buy the game and play 1 month and feel its not worth the price...
    specialy if it lacks contend and lots of updates.
    So after 2 months servers are empty and mass exodus to the next mmo begins..rinse and repeat.

GW2 showed that its posible to make money with a buy to play game, and be succesfull.
    While GW2 has major short commings....lack of solid pvp updates and shit is another matter.
    But the box price was defently worth the money.
    And even after 1 year you can log in and play again !

Current mmo's with a 15 dollar / 15 euro price tag aint worth it...
    Maybe it will change with soon to be released mmo's, but i remain skeptical, none stands out as (The One)
    All good mmo's but nothing rock solid as in 10/10

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    My advice don't play games with cash shop unless its 100% only fluff and vanity which i realy dont care about if other pay for fluff/vanity.
  • Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625
    Originally posted by 4Renziks

Some idiots must be paying it ;)

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

There are two ways to set prices for F2P.

1) High prices to attract few high spenders.

2) Low prices to attract a lot of low spenders.

Considering it's a mmorpg which strives on population, why not go the smart way and offer low prices for a lot of buyers instead of shitface prices for few heavy spenders.

I just don't see the point in grinding my ass off for the same result other players get for 100$'s.

The game itself is great and I wouldn't hesitate if they took the CS crap out of the game and opened a P2P  server.

And here is where you fail. The prices are not high enough to only attract "high spenders"... Scarlet Blade could be put in to that category but most F2P games hover around the "good night out" mark that sits just right with people. You can bet your little white panties that if PWE did not see a substantial profit from the current pricing, it would drop faster then chaps on a chipendale dancer. 

So i say again, if the system works why take a chance on lowering the prices permanently in the hope of getting more sales, only to be forced to raise them again is said sales does not happen.

Much better to do a sale every now and then.

This have been a good conversation

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    I wish people would at least get the prices right when they make threads like this. 
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by Slythe

I don't even understand why people would pay for that stuff, in a game where pvp doesn't matter. F2P seriously need to die a horrible, quick death.

Bring back the monthly subs, which would help eliminate a LOT of the douche bag people you encounter in these types of games.

So it makes more sense to you that people rent access to a game for $200 per year, but purchasing permanent access to a mount for $45 that all your characters can use is for douche bags.  At the end of the year you need to pay another $200 per year to keep access to your p2p mount while the sub-free player still keeps that mount with no additional fees.

What makes you think someone who is too cheap to spend a $45 one time fee on a mount will be willing to pay an ongoing sub-fee + box/expac fees + the cash shop to play your p2p game?  Did you consider they could be the whiners on the forums that say the game is too expensive?

Originally posted by Jyiiga
    I wish people would at least get the prices right when they make threads like this. 

That wouldn't suit their sensationalist agenda.  This is about people being cheap but wanting nice things and not having to earn them through game play or their wallet.

Stop trying to bring logic into these arguments!

My character is 41 now. Other then that money I dropped on founders pack, I haven't spent a dime in game. The AD that I got from the founders pack has been very useful.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

The three things listed in the OPs post add up to $90.

For $15 a month I get all that included with my sub in WoW. Math isn't hard...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214

Good game ruined....FOR YOU. I think that is important to point out. The game isn't ruined for me and many others. Somehow I manage to make it to 30 already without spending a single penny. I don't forsee the need for extra backpack or bank space. I have a free mount. I have heard the cash shop is mandatory at lvl 60. If that holds true then Ill drop the game at that point. Seems weird to shit all over a game just due to it's optional cash shop. by lvl 60 i will have had many hours of fun...and still have the foundry to mess with after i finish content.

I can totally understand voting with your wallet because you don't agree with the pricing. But please stop demeaning those of use who choose to play fun games for fun.

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112

IDK I think some prices are a good bit high, namely the mounts, Im level 30 myself and my wife is level 40. And aside from the keys I haven't really spent too much into the game or saw a need too.

Guess it falls into a matter of perspective as my thoughts may change at endgame.

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Torvaldr 

So it makes more sense to you that people rent access to a game for $200 per year, but purchasing permanent access to a mount for $45 that all your characters can use is for douche bags.  At the end of the year you need to pay another $200 per year to keep access to your p2p mount while the sub-free player still keeps that mount with no additional fees.

What makes you think someone who is too cheap to spend a $45 one time fee on a mount will be willing to pay an ongoing sub-fee + box/expac fees + the cash shop to play your p2p game?  Did you consider they could be the whiners on the forums that say the game is too expensive?

Any player that believes a mount is a one time fee is being completely naïve.   It is just a matter of time before they add a better mount and it will cost another $45 dollars.  Not to mention, they will probably add new mounts equivalent to the current ones, but just more flashy.   This is on top of every yearly expansion that will probably bring new equipment that makes your current equipment junk so all players have to purchase upgrading materials through the cash shop again.

A player can play for free, but it will be the same as every other cash shop based game.  Players need to grind in game currency to purchase cash shop items from other players, and your grinding will get longer every update, since every other player that is grinding will add to inflation.