Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want P2RG

calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

I grew up with online games from bbs to muds then on to graphical, I did my time on EQ conquered the hell levels solo which in those days was an achievement not a "if you do not like grouping go play a single player game".

Poured my time and energy into games like SWG and CoX, now I am older, have a life and can no longer bring myself to put in 10 hours a day on a game.

EVE was an example of the perfect P2RG (pay to remove grind), I burnt myself out so many times on the pve side, what I loved to do was pvp so I decided buy a GTC each month and that could fund my pvp fun, my time is too precious to be spending it doing unfun things in games, for the last 5 years every moment I spend in EVE is pvp or planning pvp it still takes skill so I do not call it P2W.

So I am looking for other games that have the P2RG ethos, I love star trek online for the combat, costumes and just about everything except the grind of marks/dilithium now the dilithium part can be negated by buying zen and converting to dilithium, wish there was a way to spend rl money to get fleet marks.

I still love online games but my real world time value means I can justify spending what amounts to 1 hour worth of real world money to negate a months worth of grind.

Note I an not talking about effort but grind, I do not mind the slow improvement of character through missions and exploration it is the repeatable grind for those things that seem to be in most games those parts of the game that make it a job more than a pastime.

Comments

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

If you don't have a fetish on cool looking skin or fluffy item, GW2 might be the game for you.

Every goal in GW2 is easily attainable.  I'm in the best gear 1 day after I reach max level.  After that I spend another few hundred of hours trying to get a cool looking skin....

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by laokoko

If you don't have a fetish on cool looking skin or fluffy item, GW2 might be the game for you.

Every goal in GW2 is easily attainable.  I'm in the best gear 1 day after I reach max level.  After that I spend another few hundred of hours trying to get a cool looking skin....

The only issue I had with GW2 was not one class felt like that class, what I mean is, I played as a necromancer and maybe I am old school EQ2/EQ/muds but having little control over pets and skills that seem to have no depth, same with mage and nearly every other class I tried the only one that felt like a real class was ranger but this is probably personal opinion.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    I want a lot of things :) remove grind is not one of them ...
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Why not just play the game and not worry about rushing to end game? I know thats not a game suggestion or anything but still i never understand why everyone is always in such a hurry to get to end game in games like Star Trek online and other themepark games.. take your time and enjoy playing the game. If you cant enjoy the game for what it is then rushing to end game is not going to help.

So what you need to do is find a game you can enjoy without wasting your hard earned cash.

I quite enjoyed playing TSW the missions and story for that game are quite enjoyable and did not feel like a grind for me. Age of Conan was also pretty enjoyable. Saying that most of the games you listed are sci-fi type games but there is not that much out on the market at the moment.

Originally posted by Caldrin

Why not just play the game and not worry about rushing to end game? I know thats not a game suggestion or anything but still i never understand why everyone is always in such a hurry to get to end game in games like Star Trek online and other themepark games.. take your time and enjoy playing the game. If you cant enjoy the game for what it is then rushing to end game is not going to help.

So what you need to do is find a game you can enjoy without wasting your hard earned cash.

I quite enjoyed playing TSW the missions and story for that game are quite enjoyable and did not feel like a grind for me. Age of Conan was also pretty enjoyable. Saying that most of the games you listed are sci-fi type games but there is not that much out on the market at the moment.

TSW is a good game and it is one of the least grind mmorpg I know of.

I am not in a hurry to get to end game lets put in the context of STO, when you reach max level or even before that the amount of "daily" missions that start to appear begin a grind, it is not about end game it is about having fun in a game without that grind, to have fun in the later missions fun meaning not having my ass handed to me, certain equipment is needed, most of that equipment is locked behind fleet, omega or romulan all of which means repeated content and hour after hour of grind.

I do not understand this aversion people have to spending money, I mean in my college days I probably spent more at the student bar than I have ever spent  on in game items and can you really tell me that money spent on drink which all goes literally down the toilet is less of a waste that the logical approach of using real world money to lessen the time I have to spend doing the part in mmo games I hate.

To me it is money bloody well spent.

EVE yes I could learn and play the market making money or do missions, incursions or scam some idiot out of his money OR I can literally spend 45 seconds buy a GTC drop it into jita and wow funds for a month or two, compared to a nights out drinking or a take out meal how is that wasting money?  Those hours I spend not doing pve if I am not on EVE, I can play a different game, watch a film, spend time with my wife, walk the dog all because I was able to use my money in the best way possible all because I dropped a small amount of real world money on a game.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yes its money well spent if you know your going to enjoy the later content.. I must admit i have not really played much of STO and apart from a few of the nice story missions the game seems to be the same thing over and over.. does this change later in the game or will you just be doing higher lvl things over and over and if thats the case and you don't enjoy doing the lower stuff over and over, what makes you think you will enjoy the later stuff hehe..

For me if a game is not fun I tend not to put money into it.. its not that i dont have the cash to waste.. like you im sure I have spent a shit ton more drinking my youth away lol... but im pretty sure that if im getting bored leveling my character up in a game then the end game will bore me as well..

I tend to only stick with games that I enjoy from the very start..

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I must say I agree that doing repeatable missions to get the high level gear is a real drag for me also.  I really wish someone would invent a random mission generator that would take the mind numbing boredom away from the daily type missions.  To really make that work i would have them generate multi-branch missions that only the owner of that story can complete.    AO has a basic mission builder of this type but would really like to see that expanded.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by buegur
    I must say I agree that doing repeatable missions to get the high level gear is a real drag for me also.  I really wish someone would invent a random mission generator that would take the mind numbing boredom away from the daily type missions.  To really make that work i would have them generate multi-branch missions that only the owner of that story can complete.    AO has a basic mission builder of this type but would really like to see that expanded.

You don't even need that. Just do a random dungeon generator and make combat fun.

People are still playing Diablo 3 (heck still top 10 on xfire) not because it has a lot of new content, but because the grind (i.e. killing lots of stuff) is fun.

True on STO I find myself doing the foundry player created missions, loads are corny as hell and rewards less than stellar but each one is different.

City of heroes had the random paper missions you could log on solo or a group and kick ass within minutes always something different, AO I love the random mission generator it was a lot of fun :)

I probably would have still been playing SWTOR if when I hit 50 it didn't feel like  the story was over, it would not have taken much to do a random dungeon or mission generator.

Sucks.