Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CLASSES/PROFESSIONS you want in CU

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

What's some classes you would like to see playable in CU?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Paladin/Guardian -- some kind of heavy armor Melee/ spiritual magic fighter with support and defensive retribution themed offense.

2) Death Knight/Shadow Knight -- anti Paladin/Guardian. Heavy armor Melee shadow magic fighter with support and offensive terror themed CC/Debuffer.

3)Demon Hunter/Demonborn -- a nasty dark shape shifter. Anti Druid. Can shape shift into nasty dark creatures and demons. Hs different forms of different playstyles and combat roles. Has Melee focus, with defensive form, and caster DPS form.

4)GraveDiggerNecromancer  -- a dark caster class that summons minions of demons and undead to do its dirty work.

5)Mesmer/Illusionist  -- anti healer. This class creates illusions on the battle field. Can make you see things the way they may not be. Can effect enemy player's UI to see their own and Their Ally health and mana stats different from what they really are. "Don't blow your large expensive heal on that ally with full health just because it look like they are down to 20%..." 

6)Bard/Chanter -- has a wonderful voice but loves to smash things to create beats as well. Melee focused fighter with healing and buffing performed through Melee attacks and chants. Can charm enemies and control their bodies.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• Havok77Havok77 Member UncommonPosts: 9

I'd rather not have any classes that have pets, minions, allies, companions or anything of the sort.  They are basically just dead weight on the server. Replace the memory used on them with actual living players.

That said, I really liked the Valewalker from DAOC.  Scythes don't get enough love in western MMOs.        

• Timel0rdTimel0rd Member UncommonPosts: 8
    A melee shaman healer/front line support type character.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

some sort of mixed ranged / melee character.  e.g. you set targets up with ranged attacks, but your killer moves are all melee and you are very squishy up close.

basicily what the WAR witch hunter should have been.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I would have liked to see a modern interpretation of the Friar from DAoC, but we were told not to expect hybrid healers at release.  So really I'm just interested to see what they can come up with.  I could play any archetype in CU, depending on the choices.  I'm particularly interested in seeing how the archer classes end up.  I've also always been into healing/support and tanking.  I doubt we'll see the sort of classes described in the OP.  This is not going to be a game where everybody is some sort of hybrid.
  • OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195

MDPS... though it was already said that it is either a stretch goal (past depths...) or an expansion class. 

From your list... i'd only want to see a bard. Personally i'd like to see something like savage from daoc =p

• zekuelzekuel Member UncommonPosts: 39
    necromancer / lich
  • Jixen9Jixen9 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Was really into the Nightshade Class...Daoc did there rogues good imo...Nightshade was my favorite class iv ever played in any game... Rogue type. with stealth and special magic abilities, just fits my play style
  • skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Physical plate melee that isn't done terribly. aka: so it plays smooth, theres no forced standing still while attacking, and isnt ping dependant like aion.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• zeroumuszeroumus Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Havok77

I'd rather not have any classes that have pets, minions, allies, companions or anything of the sort.  They are basically just dead weight on the server. Replace the memory used on them with actual living players.       

while we will get a little hate... AGREED!

• CountSchmidtCountSchmidt Member Posts: 5
    With the recent hints to where the stealth mechanics are going... It seems that some sort of stealth class will be implemented. This satisfies my needs :).
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by zeroumus

You do not stand alone. I feel classes are a waste of time in this day and age.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I want my spear hero back. Or at least a combination of plate armor and a spear. 2 hand weapons on a heavy tank was fun as could be back in DAoC.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I want a Hauler class (crafting) Basically just like in EvE but only CU setting. So a player starts out with a small hauler (maybe  donkey) and works their way up to like an Elephant or some kind of horse drawn wagon thing. 

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• punahoupunahou Member UncommonPosts: 15

I really want to see an a Shadowbane-style Templar..  IE magic using tank, rather than a pious healer tank paladin type.

Id like to see heavy tank classes be able to spec for meaningful defense (actually defense that works  IE tera lancer/neverwinter guardian blocks; old school shadowbane damage mitigation via %damage reductions, and old school EQ/Shadowbane AC that actually makes you MISS)

or spec for meaningful offense IE high str Templars

or spec in between to have decent offense and decent defense.

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    Originally posted by zeroumus

You do not stand alone. I feel classes are a waste of time in this day and age.

Pretty much agree at this point. Pathing and balance issues plague these classes.

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Friar or some sort of Melee Quarter Staff class.

SUP

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

I want to see the return of the staff wielding friar most of all.  It is by far my favorite class I've ever played in any mmo.  The combat animations alone were just awesome.  EVERY other mmo in existence has never had quarterstaff combat done right.   They all have you swinging the staff like a golf club, or just trying to bop people over the head with the end of it.

I would also like to see a whip wielding class.  The reaver always looked totally sweet with their chain whips.  I never played one, but I loved seeing them around.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock
    Friar or some sort of Melee Quarter Staff class.

Now here's an idea.  We won't have hybrid healers on release, but maybe a staff wielding melee character is a possibility.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    some kind of Sniper - a stealthed ranged class with no melee abilities and NO pets.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179

Do we really NEED classes?

A skill distribution system a la Asheron's Call or (non-mmo example) Skyrim would be much more appealing to me.

Build your own character

• Straight-up melee man-at-arms/knight/soldier types that rely purely on might and skill to get the job done. I'm fine with magic-based classes, but there should be might-based ones as well. I dislike it when there's only glitter sparkly spark options even for melee.

I'm also big on pure magic schools based in elements. Such as Aeromancy (lightning, winds), Pyromancy (fire), Hydromancy (water, ice) and Geomancy (earth). Each element could have a class representing it.

• Originally posted by Ulorik

Do we really NEED classes?

A skill distribution system a la Asheron's Call or (non-mmo example) Skyrim would be much more appealing to me.

Build your own character

Maybe not, but MJ says they believe classes are the way to go for this particular game.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    If the base classes are flexible enough to provide spec variations that allow for reasonable differentiation then I will be happy.

Pipe dreams? Further iteration of the Nightshade idea. Magical rogue, but with zero offensive magic abilities. Less up front damage but a variety of debuffs and short range cc, nice sustained dps but squishy. Basically a squishy, stealthy veilwalker with no PA but expanded, non-dps magic abilities.

Pure support character with some CC, some buffs, and abilities that utilize the Veil to affect the terrain and thus physical/magical nature of the battlefield. Probably a good candidate for a speed class as well

Melee dps class with light armor, short range thrown weapon ability that's fast, and mobility skills.

A caster with almost entirely dual purpose spells. Cone DDs that heal allies. AOE spells that root enemies and give short-term speed buffs to allies, etc.

• TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187

I think you will need to have classes in a game built on the Holy Trinity and Rock-Paper-Scissors.

I am not opposed to games with multi-spec, multi-hybrid, pick-any-skill builds in general, but I think CU will take a more traditional approach using tanks, support, healers and damage dealers.  Within these basic roles is where you can start to get more creative.

• NorsemanSkaldNorsemanSkald Member Posts: 1

VIKING SKALD!! 

Original class...I DONT WANT TO TWIST...I DONT WANT TO BE A MANA BOT!

I just want to be a kick ass Viking with speed and a few sweet tools that assist in that!