Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class Viability?

ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Getting into phase 3 in a couple weeks and have been pondering what my class of choice first should be. Usually in MMOs I like playing the DPS classes, but this time i want to change it up. After playing GW2 since launch, i want to be something more. A Tank or a Healer. I'm leaning on starting with Conjurer/White Mage, then going to Gladiator/Paladin and leveling up those two after my first class/jobs are leveled.

The question that keeps popping to mind is, how viable are the support classes going to be?

In 1.0, it was often suggested that beginning players should drop into other classes briefly to snag some of their utility skills, such as Pugilist for Second Wind( a heal), into Conjurer for some small heals/buffs, etc, to help them survive easier, or make up for some loss a particular class had(a marauder missing EVERY attack, so picks up a skill from Archer to increase hit rate briefly for example)

Is this a continuing theme for ARR 2.0? Will i be pretty unused in early game, until the first dungeon or otherwise? 

If any of these thoughts sound about right, How soloable is the Conjurer? Will i be able to hold my own until such times as parties begin to need a full healer?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I don't think anyone can answer that due to the NDA.

Thankfully its beta and will have character wipes after - so you can test for yourself soon!

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Thankfully its beta and will have character wipes after - so you can test for yourself soon!

I'm aware i'll be finding out firsthand soon, but what else i got to do besides theorycraft.

/shrug

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by Toxia

I'm aware i'll be finding out firsthand soon, but what else i got to do besides theorycraft.

/shrug

Consider that SE is historically awful at class balance, and that in 1.0 Conjurer had only two offensive damaging spells and one offensive buff. Not sure about Glad as I never leveled one, but if 1.0 Conjurer is any indication, I wouldn't count on being able to solo very well. I guess that pays off later when you'll be a highly sought after class for endgame. 

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by simsalabim77

/shrug

Consider that SE is historically awful at class balance, and that in 1.0 Conjurer had only two offensive damaging spells and one offensive buff. Not sure about Glad as I never leveled one, but if 1.0 Conjurer is any indication, I wouldn't count on being able to solo very well. I guess that pays off later when you'll be a highly sought after class for endgame. 

Indeed, looking through some 1.0 wiki's show just two offensive skills for the Conjurer. Going off that, i'd have to drop into thaum for some offensive spells...not sure how effective those'd be, as Conj runs on MIND/PIE while thaum's stats are INT/MIND i think.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    your best bet would be to go white mage/black mage as that was the common combo in final fantasy 11 cuz black mage gave a good mp boost which is great for a healer.  Not sure of its the same thing here tho...
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by simsalabim77

/shrug

Indeed, looking through some 1.0 wiki's show just two offensive skills for the Conjurer. Going off that, i'd have to drop into thaum for some offensive spells...not sure how effective those'd be, as Conj runs on MIND/PIE while thaum's stats are INT/MIND i think.

Without knowing much about how the classes work in this game, off the bat I'd have to say that this sounds pretty fair.  If the class is supposed to be a healer, but *can* spec in some other spell lines for extra goodies, it only makes sense that they'd be less effective than someone focusing on that other spell line.

Just refreshing to see a game where class selection actually means something.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Some good responses here that I pretty much agree with.  Square hasn't been the best at balancing in today's MMO community.  Back in FFXI there weren't many min/maxers in terms of being picky with classes (in addition to having no tools to help with such).  So as a result you usually had a diverse mix of classes out of the 20+ that were available by the time multiple expansions were released.

In 1.0 we ran into problems such as Warriors being the preferred tanks over paladins, simply because Warriors could also bring better single target damage (for a while) and especially AoE damage.  If they were capable of surviving bosses regardless, then that just meant downing said bosses faster than a paladin that focused more on survivability as opposed to AoE damage and single target damage (though their Spirits Within was buffed towards the end).  

The only time the Paladins really shined were with the Hard Mode of Neal Van Darnus and perhaps a primal or two, but as a whole they were left out of runs (and thus many could not gear up) for these reasons.

Conjurors/White mages will likely not have the above problem as people should likely need them in dungeons due to their focus on healing.  Though I'd imagine they would have additional attacks this time around, in addition to being able to pick and choose abilities from other classes provided that they leveled them up also.

Honestly I don't think they've learned their lesson as they kept on saying "it was balanced" throughout 1.0 (though eventually caved and buffed paladins here and there), and a question answered about warriors at Nico Nico said that they (warriors) will be a tank that can do a lot of damage.  They just don't have a lot of experience with balancing when it comes to the new age min/maxers that, as a community, will say something is not balanced even if ability wise/utility wise they're equal.  

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.