Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: NCSoft Earnings Up Due to GW2, Expansion Coming

Comments

• WelshyJTWelshyJT Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Give me a gear treadmill for WvW or just a general gear treadmill and il be all over it like a fly on dog shite
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I'm not sure "populations ate up every patch"

My entire guild quit gw2 for ps2 for a start, WvW is very disappointing.

BLAH - BLAH - BLAH. I bet was when the game was released. The game HAS changed and if you haven't tried it, you don't know. It is not the way it was.

In WvW

Can you see who killed you yet?
    Does it still have who spams rez fastest wins?
    Are you still fighting a new set of random dudes every two weeks?

If so rather stick with ps2

Yes you can see - no longer a res fest.

Please - stop - you don't know what you are talking about.

Originally posted by WelshyJT
    Give me a gear treadmill for WvW or just a general gear treadmill and il be all over it like a fly on dog shite

People didn't want a gear treadmill. They did a poll and that is what it came down to. Even in GW1, there was no gear treadmill so why would the follow-up game have one?

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    Originally posted by Searias
    Originally posted by UnrealRpg
    There is no reason for an expansion.The way they have been updating every month with added features and content. It's hard to tell what the expansion could add.  They have added plenty of features,dungeons,tweaks,areas and more without the use of the expansion. Do you really need an expansion for say a new race? I don't think so but it would drive sales up if its part of an expansion rather than its own thing.

You have to understand that a lot of people myself included left the game after maxing few toons due to not having much to do. I have been waiting for a new expansion to come out to come back to the game. I bet GW2's expansion are going to add a lot of content like they did with GW1's expansion packs.

Do you have all Legendary gear? I'm not doubting your actual progress, but most folks think once they hit 80 they are done and don't move past that. Heck, even exalted gear can be challenging on top of all the other numerous achievements in the game..

I agree with UnrealRpg on this one, there is so much to do, and they keep adding more for no charge.  No need for an expansion imho.

I dont play for gear, but rather for adventure. Grinding for gear or gold is not fun.

Well you know you can adventure for gear.  Crafting to me can be an adventure just the same as exploring an underwater cave. /shrug

Sorry, your play style may be your Achilles heal, not only with GW2, but any rpg/mmorpg. 

Im master crafter as well. Ive done everything in the game except roll the dice 1 million times in the hopes of getting a precursor. Doing it a second time is not an adventure. Imagine running the same dungeon every day back in pen an paper MMOs.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    So does it have long term rivalry or not now?

Do I see who killed me, or is it just some random dude from some server I happen to be up against that fortnight?
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by monarc333
    Originally posted by FateFatality
    expansion pack needs to bring new classes and more PvP events , and new races and up level cap and bring in 20 man raids and hopefully do some graphical tweaks to engine :)

Yea I'll pass on raids, but everything else sounds great! And lets add in mounts and upgrading our home instances, cause right now they are just ghost towns.

LOL really? The current server I am on - every major city is using overflow as do most of the zones. So, yes, I guess it is a ghost town.

Mounts are a waste - since we have portals.

Lies. There is no such server with overflows. One reason being they lifted the zone caps so you don't get overflows.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Do I see who killed me, or is it just some random dude from some server I happen to be up against that fortnight?

It's an mmo, why does it have to be all about you?  From a officers standpoint, you're better off left behind because you don't offer the company anything of value. 

[mod edit]

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    expansion pack needs to bring new classes and more PvP events , and new races and up level cap and bring in 20 man raids and hopefully do some graphical tweaks to engine :)

Yea I'll pass on raids, but everything else sounds great! And lets add in mounts and upgrading our home instances, cause right now they are just ghost towns.

LOL really? The current server I am on - every major city is using overflow as do most of the zones. So, yes, I guess it is a ghost town.

Lies. There is no such server with overflows. One reason being they lifted the zone caps so you don't get overflows.

Tarnished Coast still  has overflows

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I take back what I said earlier, it hasn't changed one bit so please don't come back. We need as small amount of players that don't play for the challenge and fun of it as possible. There are plenty of games that provide carrot on a stick PvP that I am sure you will enjoy. I hear TESO will have plenty of developer spoon fed PvP, so much so they were even create your pride for you, try getting into its beta.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Tierless

Playing not Paying isn't an issue. When companies decide to go BtP they know full well the percentage breakdown of who pays, who doesn't and how much will be spent. I saw some stats once but dont recall where. Something like 90% will never spend a time, 8% will spend X amount on stuff that makes life easier like bank slots and 2% will spend an insane amount of cash. I think Anet was fully aware and GW2 is performing as they expected it would, which is very well.

Actually they, just like the F2P games haven't figured it out yet. They still believe that they can make as much in the west with high priced cash shops as they make in the east with micro-transactions.

That is the reason why cash shops don't do near what they do in Asia.

Now I am sure that statement is going to bring out the 'ZOMGS" crowd but it doesn't matter, no western B2P or F2P game does better in the west than in the east in terms of revenue and that is why Nexon, NCSoft, NDoors and other B2P/F2P Korean companies are buying out so many other companies with their massive profits...and not a single western company is doing the same.

I mean how many people are going to be willing to pay $30 for a mount compared to the $12 the same mount is being sold for in Asia?

That is why they do better there, their price is targeted towards more people.

GW1 was a hit so why shouldn't GW2? They are following the same business model.  GW1 was a success, so why shouldn't GW2 be one. GW1 did have a CS, not in game but they did have one, at the beginning.

• ZeghartZeghart Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by killion81

From the article:

Korea remained NCsoft's biggest market with 64 per cent of sales, up from 43 per cent last quarter. North America's share fell from 25 per cent to 13 per cent, while Europe fell from 18 per cent to 8 per cent. The company's biggest seller for Q1 2013 was Lineage 1, but Guild Wars 2 still maintained a 21 per cent share.

Lineage 1, a game released in 1998, is generating more profit than GW2.  It is also interesting to note that the sales in NA and EU dropped to half of previous levels.  Unless GW2 is REALLY popular in Korea, it looks like there is a pretty significant decline.  Not to say that GW2 isn't a success, as I have no idea what level of revenue generation is required for the game to be considered "successful".

People don't have any idea what Lineage actually means for NCsoft. It's their flagship.

And while the first Lineage is completely dead in NA and EU, it has a MASSIVE following in Korea. No other NCsoft title compares, not Aion nor Blade & Soul and not even Lineage 2. Maybe only if you stack all of those together.

The simple fact that GW2 managed to beat that game in profits in 2012 and keeps holding strong is the mark of how well that game did since its launch. It's obvious that sales would slow down after launch, but If it keeps going this strong, NCsoft may very well have found another flagship for their company.

Not sure that's actually good, since NCsoft is a god awful publisher, but oh well.

No jctgs

My dislike of WvW has nothing to do with carrot on a stick. I have a dislike of carrot on a stick games. In fact I think that is one area where gw2 has it right.

My dislike of WvW is because...
    Good enemies are just as important as good friends to keep my interest in pvp beyond a couple of months.

The no names thing is really really bloody stupid decision by arenanet. I mean what was the purpose of no name? Protecting wallflowers? They don't pvp anyway. It's a really stupid decision that kills long term play in WvW.

GW1 was a hit so why shouldn't GW2? They are following the same business model.  GW1 was a success, so why shouldn't GW2 be one. GW1 did have a CS, not in game but they did have one, at the beginning.

Where did I say GW1 wasn't a hit again?

GW1s cash shop didn't hit until years after release and the only time the game bumped the companies revenue was with expansion releases. Their cash shop made far more in Korea than in America AND Europe COMBINED.

Due try to remember that a good portion of GW1s 6 million players were in Asia...it wasn't a western only game.

That's the point being made, no B2P/F2P game outdoes its Asian revenue and the reason is the micro-transaction based cash shops there. The idea that because the west has more money, it means it will be able to sell a large amount of stupidly large priced items.

Me making more money does not = me willing to spend $30 on a mount.

in fact, when I see high prices, I spend LESS, not more...its an age old business tactic to get people to spend more than they wanted by pricing items a certain way. Price too high, they spend less or nothing. In the west, they are targeting the 8% or so willing to spend a lot...in the east they are targeting EVERYONE and are thus making far more.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

No jctgs

My dislike of WvW has nothing to do with carrot on a stick. I have a dislike of carrot on a stick games. In fact I think that is one area where gw2 has it right.

Good enemies are just as important as good friends to keep my interest in pvp beyond a couple of months.

The no names thing is really really bloody stupid decision by arenanet. I mean what was the purpose of no name? Protecting wallflowers? They don't pvp anyway. It's a really stupid decision that kills long term play in WvW.

A known enemy IS a carrot on a stick. Anything that gives you something to go for outside of challenge or fun is a carrot on a stick. GW2 has them, just not many and I hope they don't add many more. Besides, you cant tell me you dislike carrot on a stick games while you have been defending DaoC for so long. That game was one lone stick with a carrot on it from its base design on up since it all led to the same place, central PvP zones where even the races were kept apart so as not to confuse the players as to whom the enemy are. So much stick, they even had to create pride for the players.

A nameless enemy is still an enemy...and besides, you have already been told you can see the player names now.

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172
    No jctgs

Friend, I completely disagree with you on this point.  Having no names is precisely why I participate in WvW.   I'm interested in being part of a team in WvW without having to listen to the trash talking garbage that some traditional PvPers think is necessary.   I am not alone, plenty of other fine folks who typically don't enjoy PvP culture are participating in GW2 WvW because it's refreshing!

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

20 man raids and up the level cap xD have you ever seen expansions for GW1?

No linear progression means exactly that... which means, no new levels... and if you want to raid - you have WOW, RIFT, TOR. We don't need raiding :P

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

There are overflows.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

There are overflows.

Especially in lions arch and divinity's reach. I'm always stuck in the overflow when I port there. :/

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by saurus123

lets not forget GW2 was not released on Asian market yet

atm they are at 1st cbt and from what i read its great success

so when they start selling boxes in china etc it will rise again

so id say this year GW2 will still do good

GW2 in the Asian market, lol, they ll hate it. The little grind it has, will turn them off very very quickly.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Tierless

Playing not Paying isn't an issue. When companies decide to go BtP they know full well the percentage breakdown of who pays, who doesn't and how much will be spent. I saw some stats once but dont recall where. Something like 90% will never spend a time, 8% will spend X amount on stuff that makes life easier like bank slots and 2% will spend an insane amount of cash. I think Anet was fully aware and GW2 is performing as they expected it would, which is very well.

Actually they, just like the F2P games haven't figured it out yet. They still believe that they can make as much in the west with high priced cash shops as they make in the east with micro-transactions.

That is the reason why cash shops don't do near what they do in Asia.

Now I am sure that statement is going to bring out the 'ZOMGS" crowd but it doesn't matter, no western B2P or F2P game does better in the west than in the east in terms of revenue and that is why Nexon, NCSoft, NDoors and other B2P/F2P Korean companies are buying out so many other companies with their massive profits...and not a single western company is doing the same.

I mean how many people are going to be willing to pay $30 for a mount compared to the $12 the same mount is being sold for in Asia?

That is why they do better there, their price is targeted towards more people.

GW1 was a hit so why shouldn't GW2? They are following the same business model.  GW1 was a success, so why shouldn't GW2 be one. GW1 did have a CS, not in game but they did have one, at the beginning.

Completely different game, and IMO a much better one at that.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    So you can see player names now?

When did they change that.

Also I disagree player names "is just another carrot".

It's for maintaining interest, its for having that nemesis guild, its for going "oh shit, here comes xxxx, they always have a massive zerg hidden behind the trees", its for going "oh good its yyyyy they always give us a good fight"

It's called community.

Something all modern mmos are lacking, not just gw2
    Also is WvW still a big gold sink where they force you to go pve or use the store to compete?