Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter Community: What the hell is going on?...

Comments

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Chlerub

And in 9 pages of this thread nobody came to the obvious conclusion:

Need/Greed is a moronic loot mechanic.

It's an open invitation for griefers and assholes of all sorts.

Actually shared group loot is a HORRIBLE and LAME idea to begin with.

Why the hell would they use this bullshit in a 2013 game?

Right, because Cryptic AGAIN failed to innovate.

Hm... I can't say they haven't innovated to some degree with their style of combat and the Foundry system. They have overlooked the loot issues, but a guy on the forums, I believe, already stated that they were going to be changing it up at some point.

I gotta go to work, so I can't find that post right now. Maybe someone else can.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Chlerub

And in 9 pages of this thread nobody came to the obvious conclusion: Need/Greed is a moronic loot mechanic.It's an open invitation for griefers and assholes of all sorts.Actually shared group loot is a HORRIBLE and LAME idea to begin with.Why the hell would they use this bullshit in a 2013 game?Right, because Cryptic AGAIN failed to innovate.

Straight random is better. It also has the added benefit that if people are jerks in the group, and need something you pulled, then there gets to be a penalty for being a tool.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    F2P games always have worse communities (with the possible exception of DF1).

F2P games as in games that were released as F2P, or games that are F2P even if they were once S2P, because if you are talking about the latter, prepare for everyone and their mother stating that CoX is proof against that.

Speaking of which, CoX is proof against your claim.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91

i'll leave this one here.

Hasty generalization, or converse fallacy of accident [edit]

• Hasty generalization: argues from a special case to a general rule. Inductive logic demands a data set large enough and qualitative enough to warrant a generalization.
      • Example
        Argument: Every person I've met has ten fingers, therefore, all people have ten fingers.
        Problem: Those who have been met are not a representative subset of the entire set.
      • Also called reverse accident, destroying the exception, a dicto secundum quid ad dictum simpliciter
        Proper Generalization: Every person in this room has ten fingers. Therefore, all people in this room have ten fingers

Originally posted by Esuarfeeee

i'll leave this one here.

Hasty generalization, or converse fallacy of accident [edit]

• Hasty generalization: argues from a special case to a general rule. Inductive logic demands a data set large enough and qualitative enough to warrant a generalization.
      • Example
        Argument: Every person I've met has ten fingers, therefore, all people have ten fingers.
        Problem: Those who have been met are not a representative subset of the entire set.
      • Also called reverse accident, destroying the exception, a dicto secundum quid ad dictum simpliciter
        Proper Generalization: Every person in this room has ten fingers. Therefore, all people in this room have ten fingers

Congratulations, you have summed this up perfectly.  You have won the internet.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Sounds like a normal day in a PUG in a F2P game.
  • VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

Yeah that sounds typical for the way people conduct themselves in games these days. This is one of the reasons why I stopped playing WoW.  Essentially if you dont have a guild or a group of friends to play with, good luck finding mature and friendly players in a pug.

Its a shame that this is the norm now for games, and that people have developed the "you pug you deal with it" kind of attitude. There is no accountability anymore, no risk of making a bad name for yourself. Also as someone else mentioned, why Neverwinter does not have a different loot system in a ftp game is beyond me.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

I know we like to think the whole world is made up of adults..maybe for those younger we can because like you were talking IN GAME we can think of the younger people and not say colorful words?

As for Neverwinter? Really? Its FREE to PLAY so you will get ALL kinds of people. Its not going to get better for its one of those games where you will most likely never get banned for anything you do or say. They need MONEY ..playing the game you see tis all about money and not the player.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

F2P games as in games that were released as F2P, or games that are F2P even if they were once S2P, because if you are talking about the latter, prepare for everyone and their mother stating that CoX is proof against that.

Then answer me this: What stops people that get banned (on the very, very rare occasions they actually do get banned) in F2P games from coming right back 2 mins later and doing the very same ban-able behavior again? (Here's a hint: Nothing). At least in P2P games, they have to buy the client again. And as to CoX, never played it, but in every F2P game I have ever played in, the community has sucked (regardless of whether the game was F2P off the go or a retread).
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

Then answer me this: What stops people that get banned (on the very, very rare occasions they actually do get banned) in F2P games from coming right back 2 mins later and doing the very same ban-able behavior again? (Here's a hint: Nothing). At least in P2P games, they have to buy the client again. And as to CoX, never played it, but in every F2P game I have ever played in, the community has sucked (regardless of whether the game was F2P off the go or a retread).

Which f2p games have you played?  Name a few please.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

There is no reason to fear death in this game so no one has respect for it .

Games like EQ you had to make your own groups even if they were pugs and if you died you had to find a way to get to your corpse to obtain your gear . People these days just want their fast food fix without having to work for it .  talking in a game requires knowing how to type using more than one finger .

The chat system in this game is pretty bad tho compared to older games .

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    If you go into a PUG, you'll probably have at least one person that's anti-social...that's why they're in a PUG hehe.  I haven't run into this problem much, but I did get kicked out of a dungeon group because I was reading a lore object lol.  I generally never PUG,  I either run with friends and/or guildmates only.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    there are scum bags in the real world as well as the virtual worlds...such is life
  • AccountDeleted12341AccountDeleted12341 Member Posts: 351

MIME group interaction has become the norm since before 2007.

I remember noticing the trend had become the norm when I played Vanguard.

The MMO's I played before this had either drastically different communities (friendly communities, probably due to the higher amount of females and children, as males tend to be the most idiotic in the teens and teen-adult years) such as WoW, City of Heroes, etc.

Honestly, anywhere there is too much testosterone, there is too much trolling. The typical internet asshat is a 16-20something privileged white male who wants nothing more than to smoke pot, watch family guy, and get laid. The atypical asshat is the same, but 13-16 or 30+ but never grew up or matured in their mind and are thus still a teenager. Everyone else is either a child (no puberty hormones to destroy their soul to become rotten evil entities), a female, a real adult (either matured or 30+ and typical), or the uncommon mature healthy male who realizes there is more to life than treating others like trash or objects.

I have done my fair share of trolling, but I do so as an adult. It is quite different, and you can always tell if a troll is an adult or a IRL troll depending on what happens when things get serious, the extent of their trolling, or what they do while "trolling". I have met my share of PK's (when you're a newbie in UO, it's trolling to PK them, they have nothing of value.) who afterwards give newbie stuff back, sometimes even apologize and make friends. These aren't trolls, they're just adults trying to have fun PKing or have fun trolling. The real trolls, the real scum, are those who are seeking fun at the EXPENSE of other's feelings, other's fun. The types who will not just knock you down, but kick you and then try to rape you. You can always tell these types by how often they visit reddit, or how little their brain functions comprehending logic on forums. The types (of all ages and genders) who victim-blame the 3 girls trapped in a Dungeon for a decade. The types who steal your newbie loot and then insult you in tell, with an explanation as to how it'll make you a better player. These are the types I troll, as sort of a troll hunter giving them a taste of their own medicine. If they beg for forgiveness or maturity communicate their reasoning, I am kind to them, unlike what they would be to those who beg to them.

My type of trolling consists of TKing people in Planetside2 when they blatantly TK others. It is always followed by a message to teach a valuable lesson, "Other people have feelings too. Maybe this will teach you that your actions directly effect others." I also TK people the moment they say "It's the internet" as if that's an excuse for immoral behaviour. I often TK or troll them, followed by a message, "It's the internet is not an excuse. But sorry for TKing you, don't QQ, it's just the internet! :)"

In the end, the best thing is to play to have fun, and learn to stop these IRL trolls from the kid or bored adult just trying to have fun. Then set them up in a trap to screw them over. Learn how to abuse mechanics to troll others, so you can defend yourself from trolls. Just make sure not to become one yourself, and don't abuse what you have learned.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

And this thread is a perfect example of the downsides of LFG ques.

People often complain about how bad grouping is in MMOs, or how hard it is to find decent players. The simple truth is, that the only sure way to make a group group (in any game) is to actively create one yourself and only invite people you play well with. Your group, your responsibility, your ability to kick any asshats or people that seem questionable.

When you leave it up to the video game to do that for you, you will be rolling the dice every time. It's a crap shoot, and odds are you aren't going to get a group that's very good.

As the saying goes: If you want something done right, do it yourself.

• MMOPapaMMOPapa Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by Ukiha

Hey guys/gals,i'll get to the point,since it's late night.

Ok, so here's my story:i'm having a BLAST playing Neverwinter with a friend of mine,beautiful atmosphere,nice graphics for an old engine,good action combat....disgusting....community?

Why disgusting? you may ask?,well here's what happened.I'm level 55 Trickster Rogue,my friend is the same level,Guardian Fighter class(yes, he does not have any problem tanking,actually he can tank perfectly in dungeons).We wanted to join a level 55 dungeon,which is the one from Underdark.

We entered,we said "Hi/Hello".Nobody said a single WORD(not the first time that happened in the game).Ok....We began working our way into the depths of Underdark,until the Control Wizard from the party charges alone to a cluster of mobs without letting the tank go first(EVERY CW with i've been with has done that),then,OBVIOUSLY he dies in a matter of seconds.Thanks to him we almost wipe.

Words of the CW:fucking idiots attack

Me:finally someone decided to talk

CW: shut the fuck up kid

Ok....i know where this is going...we continued like nothing happened there(of course no one said a word after that).We arrived at 1 of the bosses,killed him,a rare dagger (blue)level 56 dropped,but the Cleric of the group decided to press the need button.

I asked him/her why did he/she need it,the answer was: "mine lol".After that i told him/her need it more than him/her,since i have a level 46 green dagger and obviously,i'm the only rogue on the party.And yeah that's called a ninja...

The next answer was: oh the drama right? lol

Friend of mine: What the fuck are you doing? give the dagger to my friend,he needs it more than you do

Me: it's ok, this is like playing with bots lol

No response after that.Ok,i understand that he/she may be want the dagger for selling it at the AH,but where's the "kindness" in this party? i mean,i would let the rogue have the dagger if i were the Cleric.

After all that, we finally get to the last boss, we kill him,i leave the party without saying anything.Of course, they don't deserve any "goodbye" or anything like that.

I log off the game after that(2:35 a.m),when my friend tells me via Steam,that this guys started telling him this:

Player:does your gay friend wants the dagger? i can give it to him.NOT

Friend (he was still in the party): "so you got a blue dagger. please type it in your curriculum, and  tell it to your mom, so you can get a cookie"

He got insta-kicked.

So what i'm saying is this: WHAT THE F00K?. I've never seen a behavior like that...not even in GW2(and no, i don't play WoW since 2008). Is this is what i "missed"?....holy shit...

If this is what the furure holds in Neverwinter..well...time to say goodbye,if i want to play with bots, i'll play Dragon's Dogma..thank you very much.

PD:It seems i did a wall of text... oh well.. i hope you guys enjoyed.

I know this isn't going to help boost your opinion of the community cause it's blunt and you seem sensitive... but it's the truth:

You joined a PUG with trolls; just suck it up and move on.

What do you gain by dwelling on it? Nothing. But you give the troll a sense of accomplishment if he ever finds this post. Brags about it to his friends, mocks you any time he spots you, whatever. You want to know the best way to avoid this, in my opinion? Stop joining other people's groups. Stupidest thing I encountered in Neverwinter were people waiting on that LFG tool to work while I built my own groups using the chat, queued up when we got full, and finished the dungeon before they even had a chance to enter. Funny part is? Sometimes I would end up doing the dungeon multiple times before they even had a chance to join once. If you don't like the way someone in your group is acting? Or if they 'ninja' something? Kick them. Best part of being a leader. Why argue on the internet? Stupidest Olympic event ever; you get a gold medal at wasting time. Why dwell on one person in a community of a couple hundred THOUSAND? Kick, move on. But this? You run into one group of trolls and you're ready to quit a game? You're making yourself look weak, man. Stand up tall and don't worry about the people (if you want to call them that) beneath you.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

If you try to ask anything in /zone, you get nothing but stupid remarks. If you hint something is a little problematic with the game, you get instantly assaulted by a trolls telling you that you are just bad at playing games.

Yeah well Community is really bad, but what did you expect, its f2p and anyone can load it up and start typing crap, so they do. Also this IS an action game, it just happens to be in a rpg setting. Also that people press need to just about anything is a dead giveaway.

You just have to find the nice people in the crowd and generally ignore everything said in /zone, atleast till high level zones but even then..

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

I have found the Neverwinter community to be very helpful so far.  Even in /zone chat I have had my questions answered by in zone and by /whisper.

I do find it very odd that people want to make a rolling system where you can only roll on an item if it is for your class?  If I fought the battle shouldn't I get a shot at the loot?

Now, obviously, I would give the dagger to the rogue because I am WAY nice!  BUT, what if my D&D roll had been a toon that was kinda evil or greedy or not honest?  I mean this IS an MMORPG and we are bound by Federal Law to play our roles because it IS an RPG. Which means that inside I might be dying to give the nice dude his dagger but, my role simply will not allow it and I have to put it in my bag and take it with me.  Don't blame me - blame the dice.

Also, so many want non-drama guilds and instance runs?  When there is no drama in an MMORPG then somebody is failing on the RP part.  AND, non-drama guilds and runs are Booooooorrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnggggggg!  Part of the experience of an MMORPG is being around different types of people and not just bots.

I was in a guild in WoW where the guild GM's nightelf wife was having an affair with our mage.  It took the GM a while to find out and guild attendance and Raid night popularity went WAY up because everybody was SO intrigued by the drama, story, plot... it was like a soap and NOBODY wanted to miss any of it.

Remember the famous quote: All the MMORPG world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.

Enjoy watching the play and enjoy acting in the play!

Sz

:o)

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    My ignore list is much bigger than my friends list...
  • AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by Ukiha
    *Snip, Basically a shitty experience*

Let me give another example, of another run which was VERY similar to this.

During the run, some GF starts ripping into me about 'needing' on greens, And I basically said 'Need on all greens, nobody cares, if you REALLY need something that drops, I'm sure that anyone will just give to you'

him and some cleric he was with complained for a bit, but pretty much just let that go, which was fine.

But later rolling need on an item ANYONE can use, and EVERYONE in group has the right to(A necklace from the first mini during the run I think) but, that HE WANTED, he got very angry at everyone else in the group, and while the group was damn quiet for the most part up to this point, the rest told him to shut the fk up(Yea imagine pug speech and u got idea what they REALLY said to him and his friend, which i can't blame them)

Later on the leader of the group crashed and went offline, transferring leadership to the GF... who at the final boss (Before the other guy logs back in) kicks me out of the team. He may have kicked the others too, I don't know.. and its quite possible it was an accidental kick, but I doubt it.

Point is kiddies, not ALL pugs are the same, and EACH story can be spun any where the teller wants to send it. For the most part in nwo, I found pugs quiet, sorta antisocial, but more often than not, friendly folk who are both willing to learn from what others can teach, and willing, without a lot of asshattery, to teach others what THEY know. Yes there are a few tools out there, but given the amount of people your reaching out and snagging for a pug, your bound to once in a while, grab ahold of a stinker!

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by Toxia

Lesson? Never PUG.

Find you a group of friends who play when you do and roll with them. From your guild or something.

Dont play with jackasses. leave group, it isnt worth your time.

yea and like you said not the first game that has retarted teens running mouths and ruining dungeon runs , and its the pace we are use to from example wow dungeons, everyone runs as fast as they cant not to say word and killing everything without any kind of meaning to let the tank pull first.

it will be like this in every game and yes one can argue but if your game you play is minor population one maybe then you get less twats ruining your game experience . but game wich is popular you can never escape from these persons, and best way is to just call it and leave group / ignore etc. these duys just long fro chat fight so dont be fooled to join in their game .

• AeonZenAeonZen Member Posts: 43

One of the benefits of being a solo player.. no drama, that is, unless the community starts calling you names and attempting to bully the small alone person.  The potential drawback, being alone.  I say "potential" because sometimes, for me, being alone has been amazing. 

I've always remained calm in times of internet drama for the most part, sometimes my emotions have gotten the best of me, but at least I had a good reason as there is only so much name calling someone can take.  I've actually found silence super useful because it allows you to see where other-selves are coming from.

Anyways, being a solo player and actually playing in many pick up groups, in warcraft, league and other games, I've been fine for the most part.  If people roll need when they only want.. I don't know lol, I don't even care that much. 

I didn't read the whole thread but someone said that sounds like what would happen on pen and paper, or maybe someone is a thief class so it actually goes with the RPG element of the game. 

Anywho, I usually side with the minority, so I side with the "anti-social" ones, although I don't agree with their behavior, yet side with them nonetheless in the context of this thread.  People have free will.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

Me(CW and my friend (Guardian) have also basically pugged every dungeon and the constant for us is Clerics who feel the need to rush things and pull mobs instead of letting my friend do it.  The rogue does mostly the same thing with his throwing knives but then proceeds to run around like a headless chicken

My friend changes his skills for bosses and asks every time if everyone could wait a sec. In every group nobody has listened there is usually one guy that decides that he can tank it.

OH also the guy that brings a tank companion into a dungeon. ugggggggggggghh image

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    I have a predisposed response to posts like these: Your problem is with society, not with the game. People suck anymore. This is fact. Especially on the internet. Like many of the other responses have suggested: don't pug.
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    There are people like that everywhere. Not only in mmo's and not only in Neverwinter. A community is what you make it. Find a guild and play with them. There is no Neverwinter community, just like there is no such thing as a gamer community, most people think only of themselves and do not care at all about other players. Even if other player's are part of what makes the game, as in mmo's or online shooters.