Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Cathar, Update 2.1 & Free To Play

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest series of updates to Star Wars: The Old Republic have been interesting ones from players. In addition, good news about the F2P transition was revealed during an investors' meeting recently. We caught up with Cory Butler to find out more. Read on and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

MMORPG.com: You're coming up on six months since SWTOR went Free-to-Play. How would you say players have reacted to the switch overall? Where does the game stand today?

Cory Butler: The reaction has been incredible.  Every part of the game has benefited from the transition.  Player populations are higher, origin worlds are teeming, PvP is thriving and the overall sentiment of our community reflects all of those things.

Read more of Mike Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic - Cathar, Update 2.1 & Free To Play .

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    I just hope all these future "quality of life" improvements won't depend exclusively on how many Cartel Points you have.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

SWTORs Free to play isnt really free though. You can not play the new expansion without purchasing it. Thus the game is really Buy to play, or partially free. Im not saying Im against cash shop or paying to remove experience debuffs or whatever. But i feel free to play should allow you to play all content for free.

• KeepInGatesKeepInGates Member Posts: 11
    600? For what is essentially facepaint? No thanks.

I like how most of the world hates on Americans because we all think we're better than everyone else. Grow up, no one is perfect.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I don't care about voice overs. Just give me the ability to play all the great iconic Star Wars species from the movies, cartoons, and other sources.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

SWTOR Free to Play is hands down worst F2P implementation seen today.

Free players hit brick wall as soon as lvl 16. They will be under leveled for regular progress. Even their skill bar is so limited it can not hold all class skills.

From there on its either huge frustration or paying to play

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

SWTOR Free to Play is hands down worst F2P implementation seen today.

Free players hit brick wall as soon as lvl 16. They will be under leveled for regular progress. Even their skill bar is so limited it can not hold all class skills.

From there on its either huge frustration or paying to play

Seriously very limited. You are still limited even if you become a prefered member. It's hard to justify this $20 expansion being limited to what you can do.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Is male Jedi badonkadonk while wearing robes still an issue?

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Great game if it wasn't for the bloated skill system. Never in an MMO did I actually dread leveling up and gaining more skills.

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Methos12
    I just hope all these future "quality of life" improvements won't depend exclusively on how many Cartel Points you have.

I actually do. Freeloaders should be given a "gate" and beyond that you have to help financially support the game in someway. Otherwise, you are here for my entertainment and you better start entertaining me.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Great game if it wasn't for the bloated skill system. Never in an MMO did I actually dread leveling up and gaining more skills.

I have to agree with this. The only really decent worthwhile stats are the bottom and the top of the trees. The things in the middle I'm just like...uh...inney minney miney moh...catch a ....nvm.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    No matter how well they do, Unless i am able to use better gear without a subscription then i wont spend money on this game. Spending money doesnt unlock my account to wear good gear to be competitive. Fix that and youll have my cash shop money over other games that dont take my good gear away unless i sub. I dont like subs.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    No matter how well they do, Unless i am able to use better gear without a subscription then i wont spend money on this game. Spending money doesnt unlock my account to wear good gear to be competitive. Fix that and youll have my cash shop money over other games that dont take my good gear away unless i sub. I dont like subs.

you are not going to add "pay for quick bar" or  "pay for hide head slot" in your list?

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    By limiting a player exp, they have forced player to sub.  This will simply mean people will play for awhile and then quit because they cannot advance
  • StacksguardStacksguard Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Everything looks great and i cant wait to play the new race. Keep up the great work!!
  • AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Server Transfer inc.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    i quit the game a few months after release. i have no opinion for the game itself anymore but i can say there is no real f2p option. if you want to play as a sub player then ok. but as a free or preferred status player, imo stay away.
  • NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76
    The restrictions on F2P is kind of ridiculous. The purple item restriction and the crew skill restriction are by far the worst offenders. I can live with, or work around the other restrictions, but the best part about this to me, was every time my character was around level 12-13 they would find a purple mod/item, and you can't use it. Great. Couldn't just write a script that allows F2P not to find purple items or if it's going to be a purple, just bump it to a orange or something that would make it so it wasn't just something useless in my inventory.

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

What could have been the mmo of the decade became the turd of the century.
    Burn the bridges down and never look back to this molested piece of crap.

• BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Yea i regret being a founder and buying the expansion too. when they went F2P . they made it so hard and bad for non paying players that they ruined any chance of saving the game. why not make a game great and let us have unlimited access. but only 1 character . if its good i would buy more character slots. or charge us every 4 months .if we want to continue we will.  instead of letting us play but you cant loot any thing or wear anything dropped...
  • RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    I cant wait for the update! image

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

Let's see were do I start? Limited credit cap with no way to unlock it via CM, that make selling stuff on the GTN a waste of time since you can hit the 350k cap really quick. They give you five GTN slots with the option to purchase more, but what is the point of that when you cant hold no more that 250-350k credits.

2 hour cooldown on quick travel with no way to remove it via CM, meaning once you fight threw all of the mobs to get your quests done and teleport back to the quest hub, you can no longer teleport again for 2 hours. I think that one was a bit of over kill, They could have at least made it 1 hour while retaining the 30 min cd for subs.

Locking out quest rewards. This one should not have even being in the game, they basically take away the incentive for questing.

Limited flashpoints, warzones and OPS. Normally this one would not be an issue, however games like EQ2, LoToR, and AoC have removed those restrictions from their games while still maintaining a sub model.

I subbed for one month just to unlock my credit cap, and blew all of the credits on CM unlocks. Because you will need those unlocks to enjoy this. I decided to just bypass FPs, OPs, and warzones, because it's just another wall if you are a free player. The only reason to join a guild is for the xp boost, other than that you'll be just another body that can't do guild runs.

Heck I get more from Dragon's Prophet in it's closed beta stage than I do with  TOR's f2p model.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Cory that was great fun !
    "Cathar is because they are new and unfamiliar to many of our players"
    and
    "There were many community requests for the Cathar to be playable."

HAHA .. great .. nobody know them but there been MANY requests by the com.
    Lies.

"Our players have been overwhelmingly supportive of the addition of the Cartel Market and the many different items available there."
    Lies.

"We are always listening to player feedback."
    Lies.

"The reaction has been incredible.  Every part of the game has benefited from the transition.  Player populations are higher, origin worlds are teeming, PvP is thriving and the overall sentiment of our community reflects all of those things."
    Thats all not true.

And LOL .. they still dont have paid char transfers ?!?! bawahahahaha omfg /facepalm

• hazlhazl Member Posts: 2
    dbl post.

• hazlhazl Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by meddyck
    I don't care about voice overs. Just give me the ability to play all the great iconic Star Wars species from the movies, cartoons, and other sources.

Amen, the first thing i thougt to myself when i the list of playable spicies was "Who the fuck, makes a Star Wars game where you cant play a wookie", makes no sense what so ever.

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

any news on when this patch wich is better then the expansion is gonna be realesed?