Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will ARR help people segway people away from quest grinding?

bmiles510bmiles510 Member UncommonPosts: 11

I'll start by saying I know that ARR's style is initially strongly quest grind driven.  I feel like this is good for all of the people who have grown accustomed to games that are strongly focused on this type of gameplay that has been so common in the WoW era.  

However, two things of note that I think are very important:

1. Once you switch classes on your character, those quests don't appear.  Yes there are guildleves and things available, but this is a lot different than quest grinding IMHO.   Its more like grinding out dailies.  These -are- limited, however, so it won't be the only way to level.

2.  Creating additional characters requires a fee.  This will make it so people can't just make one character for each class.

So those being listed off, will this game slowly adjust people into a FF XI style of play over time?  Once your hunter log is full and your quests are complete on the third class that you are leveling, what will people do?  Will they actively seek groups and will a community begin to form like we haven't seen in newer MMOs for years?  Will they become attached enough to their character that they will suck it up and actually stick with the game when their familiar style of gameplay disappears?  And if this is the case, will this cause more sandboxy/social MMOs to start appearing in the future if gamers actually open themselves up to this style of game?

I believe that this transition is too jarring and just too unfamiliar for it to work if you try to just throw it out there without slowly easing newer MMO players in.  It needs to draw the person in and slowly change for it to work I think.  I just feel that ARR is doing a really good job of possibly getting newer players to familiarize themselves to a different MMO style that they normally wouldn't try because its just too different by easing them into it instead of just going 'BAM!  FF XI style grinding.  Figure it out!'

Just some thoughts.  I'd really like to see the oldschool MMO make a recurrance with modern features and graphics and I believe ARR is a good first stepping stone on that path.  Does anyone agree with this?

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by bmiles510

I'll start by saying I know that ARR's style is initially strongly quest grind driven.  I feel like this is good for all of the people who have grown accustomed to games that are strongly focused on this type of gameplay that has been so common in the WoW era.  

1. Once you switch classes on your character, those quests don't appear.  Yes there are guildleves and things available, but this is a lot different than quest grinding IMHO.   Its more like grinding out dailies.  These -are- limited, however, so it won't be the only way to level.

2.  Creating additional characters requires a fee.  This will make it so people can't just make one character for each class.

So those being listed off, will this game slowly adjust people into a FF XI style of play over time?  Once your hunter log is full and your quests are complete on the third class that you are leveling, what will people do?  Will they actively seek groups and will a community begin to form like we haven't seen in newer MMOs for years?  Will they become attached enough to their character that they will suck it up and actually stick with the game when their familiar style of gameplay disappears?  And if this is the case, will this cause more sandboxy/social MMOs to start appearing in the future if gamers actually open themselves up to this style of game?

I believe that this transition is too jarring and just too unfamiliar for it to work if you try to just throw it out there without slowly easing newer MMO players in.  It needs to draw the person in and slowly change for it to work I think.  I just feel that ARR is doing a really good job of possibly getting newer players to familiarize themselves to a different MMO style that they normally wouldn't try because its just too different by easing them into it instead of just going 'BAM!  FF XI style grinding.  Figure it out!'

Just some thoughts.  I'd really like to see the oldschool MMO make a recurrance with modern features and graphics and I believe ARR is a good first stepping stone on that path.  Does anyone agree with this?

Just stopping you right there for a moment so that other people don't get the wrong idea.  Additional characters will not require a fee.  That won't even exist in A Realm Reborn.  It will be $12.95/mo for one character (per server, 8 max) or $14.95/mo for 8 per server, 40 max.  If you aren't an Alt person (and you don't need to be since every character will be able to master every class), then you have the option to save a few dollars with the 12.95 a month price (not including 3 or 6 month discounts).

(I wrote a few pages of text, but it didn't get saved when I pressed "save changes"  :(  )

There's not much many people can write about this save for speculation, but...

It will depend on the play style of the individual, I would think.  I don't expect FFXIV's party mechanics to just simply consist of Dungeon teams and raids, but also a host of other systems.  Behests and Hamlets are just some of the types that were available in 1.0 that targeted party play.

I've said before that I would think it would be a nice change if they made it so the world itself was solo friendly (in the sense that I don't want a rabbit to be able to one shot me ala FFXI), but with the Storyline Progression having elements of needing to cooperate with other people or friends.  Even if it's just requiring a group every other storyline quest to advance, that would be pretty neat.  Granted it probably wouldn't happen in the first couple quests (if at all, as this is speculation) as people will need to get immersed into the story (or even get to the story after learning from the tutorials).

Then we have the housing systems and chocobo systems (and potentially the path companions from 1.0 in future patches).  It was said that houses will be expensive, so much so that it may take combining gil with a friend to buy the smallest house or some such.  So I'd imagine there would be a room mate system for that reason as well.

The world itself is a mystery to many.  Though sadly I can't say much of it.  Well, technically I could since such information is located in Gridania, but I'm not sure if Gridania is still off the NDA or not yet since Nico Nico has passed.

Suffice it to say that Yoshi-P has teased some time ago that we may see Gold Saucer, Red XIII and Cait Sith in the game at some point (though as this was about a year ago, it is not confirmed as he hasn't talked much else about it).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Hmm, dailies ARE quests... And by having to do the same thing DAILY, well, isn't that a perfect example of quest grinding?

As for the second part I highlighted, why yes, lets limit how players can enjoy the game, makes perfect sense to me...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Just stopping you right there for a moment so that other people don't get the wrong idea.  Additional characters will not require a fee.  That won't even existin A Realm Reborn.  It will be $12.95 for one character or $14.95 for 8 per server, 40 max.

Will edit when I read the rest.

Why doesn't that just come with a subscription?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Slampig

Just stopping you right there for a moment so that other people don't get the wrong idea.  Additional characters will not require a fee.  That won't even existin A Realm Reborn.  It will be $12.95 for one character or $14.95 for 8 per server, 40 max.

Will edit when I read the rest.

Why doesn't that just come with a subscription?

Not sure what you mean.  It gives you the option to only pay $12.95/mo if you only intend to use one character (which is all you really need).  Then the normal $14.95/mo if you want to have up to 40 characters on your account (as opposed to an extra couple dollars per character like in FFXI).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276
    How can they think that they can charge someone 12.95 for a game for 1 character slot. THAT IS FREE TO PLAY MODEL! Im calling it now, write this down children. This game will crash and burn so fast it will make the first final fantasy 14 look like a success!

• angelsweepangelsweep Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by Killsmallchi
     This game will crash and burn so fast it will make the first final fantasy 14 look like a success!

It is final fantasy 14

How can they think that they can charge someone 12.95 for a game for 1 character slot. THAT IS FREE TO PLAY MODEL! Im calling it now, write this down children. This game will crash and burn so fast it will make the first final fantasy 14 look like a success!

...What are you talking about?  I don't think you read whatever was posted correctly.

You will get an account with 40 characters slots for $14.95 a month.  The $12.95 a month is a choice if you want to save a couple bucks if you aren't interested in an alternate character (because you don't need one since every character is able to master every class).

• therealeasytherealeasy Member Posts: 36
    I liked FF11 and I am looking forward to this game, I think ARR will be good
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

Actually you get a maximum of 8 characters with the $12.95 option, but only one per server.  There's nothing free to play about the game.  The people that opt to have less characters won't be restricted in what they can do opposed to the people that want more characters.  You only NEED one character to do everything in the game anyway.  The extra characters are for people that want to role play or experience other races.

• bmiles510bmiles510 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Well thanks for derailing this thread to oblivion.  Guess I can't expect many reasonable answers on this site.
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Well thanks for derailing this thread to oblivion.  Guess I can't expect many reasonable answers on this site.

It got derailed because you didn't put accurate information in your OP,  If you are going to give information on a game then at least do your homework first.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

troll level: over 9000!!!

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

To answer your question:

Quest grinding is only going to be relevant for maybe one or two classes at most.  After that you're expected to use the other various means of leveling up which include Dungeons, FATEs, Hunting Logs, Guildleves, Guildhests and whatever else they decide to throw at us.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Just so everyone understand FFXIV.  1 Character and you can do EVERY Class and EVERY Job.  You dont need more than 1 character.  The 40 characters overall are for people that want to create alts that only have 2 Classes and 1 Job. 
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

You're clearly out of touch to be even suggesting this.  ARR is most theme park centric game since WoW.  If you're looking for games that might popularize sandbox elements look at Wildstar or AA, both have far more sandbox elements to them than ARR.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by nbtscan

To answer your question:

Quest grinding is only going to be relevant for maybe one or two classes at most.  After that you're expected to use the other various means of leveling up which include Dungeons, FATEs, Hunting Logs, Guildleves, Guildhests and whatever else they decide to throw at us.

At least three of those are questing just named something different.  Just because you don't go to a town and talk to everyone with a ! or ? above there head doesn't mean it's not questing.

For me it's more about delivery than what name the developers choose to call their quests because in the end it's all the same.  Content meant to focus your activities to a specific task; be it kill a certain number of a specific mob, clear a certain area, work though a certain zone to the end boss, or collect a certain item it's all questing as long as it's assigned to you and is highly directed in nature.

Originally posted by reeereee

And if this is the case, will this cause more sandboxy/social MMOs to start appearing in the future if gamers actually open themselves up to this style of game?

You're clearly out of touch to be even suggesting this.  ARR is most theme park centric game since WoW.  If you're looking for games that might popularize sandbox elements look at Wildstar or AA, both have far more sandbox elements to them than ARR.

That's somewhat of an exaggeration as ARR with have a significant housing system within a community neighborhood of houses.  Though really that's all I'm able to say on the matter due to the NDA.  It is looking like a Themepark to be sure, but there are quite a few things that are really fantastic and Final Fantasy about it as a whole.

:3

• ResertonReserton Member Posts: 52

And if this is the case, will this cause more sandboxy/social MMOs to start appearing in the future if gamers actually open themselves up to this style of game?

That's somewhat of an exaggeration as ARR with have a significant housing system within a community neighborhood of houses.  Though really that's all I'm able to say on the matter due to the NDA.  It is looking like a Themepark to be sure, but there are quite a few things that are really fantastic and Final Fantasy about it as a whole.

Sorry what? How exactly does a "housing system" make this less of a themepark game exactly? There are plenty of WoW clones with housing systems and it does not make them "sandboxy" or "social" in any way.

You obviously have no clue.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I sincerely hope you are joking, because that one character can be everything. You don't need alts in this game aside for roleplay reasons. Much like TSW.

Originally posted by Reserton

Sorry what? How exactly does a "housing system" make this less of a themepark game exactly? There are plenty of WoW clones with housing systems and it does not make them "sandboxy" or "social" in any way.

You obviously have no clue.

I have a theory that you simply misread what I wrote and jumped at me for no apparent reason.  Perhaps misunderstood the intent of what I wrote, and simply applied the context of your own writing (or mistook me for the poster you originally wrote to in that quote and used that as context) to me simply so you'd have a way to respond.  Either way, I wrote this for you so that you could understand what it is that I actually said.

While I simply wrote in an agreeable tone without OCDly (and potentially irritatingly) pointing out what I believed to be an exaggeration, I feel that I've no recourse but to do so now.  In the post I responded to, you made your comment inherently flawed (where my exaggeration comment came from) with your original assertion that it is the "most Themepark centric MMO".   You do this again by making the implication that I claimed Final Fantasy XIV had sandbox elements (no where did I use that word, make the claim).  In fact, I very much said that is seems to be "Like a Thempark to be sure," and you're the only one to even bring up the word "Sandbox" in your original rhetoric (the topic of a house being a park of the Sandbox is for another discussion, as no where was it claimed to be in the context of this discussion between only you and I).  "ARR is the most..." is an absolute statement (I.E. an exaggeration in this context, as will be explained in the next paragraph), and was furthermore present with a snide comment of someone "being out of touch" when they simply asked questions with a lengthy post beyond the single sentence that you trivialized.

Firstly, the game has let to be released from NDA, and beyond that it's doubtful that more than 5-20% (and no matter how long you've played a genre, if you base anything off of a low percent it's nothing but a potentially bias / misinformed exaggeration for good or ill) of the game is available for testing (as we can see on their public road map and saying that new regions and systems will be tested in phase 3), including systems and locations.  The claim that it is "the most" is folly for many reasons, and indicative of someone who jumps to conclusions, in most cases predominately caused by substantial bias.   It is therefore my assertion that no matter how one reads your comment, it is still quite wrong in every conceivable way (whether it's by simple knowledge that the full product has not been tested, or the fact that something can't be "the most", especially when the before mentioned condition is applied.  One could also say that (and this harkens back to your second statement) the existence of a house system automatically disqualifies it from being "most" Themepark centric if other Themeparks do no possess such a thing).

I'm not one to say someone shouldn't post, but when you make yourself look this bad (implying people don't know what they're talking about just because they may have different viewpoints, or attacking them needlessly), it may be time to actually assess what you write and edit it to be more presentable, especially when writing end comments such as "you obviously have no clue".  In my opinion such a thing was unnecessary and simply turned this discussion into a personal attack on those who do not share your views.  Furthermore, my comment was written in a light hearted manner that did not deserve such a hostile response.  I'll assume this was a "slip of the tongue" for reasons unknown to me and let bygones be bygones.  But as for myself, I also reread things before I post and see if they are representative of a mature individual.  You wouldn't believe how many times I have rewrote these paragraphs, as my original response had a somewhat defensive nature to it.

In closing, it's partly my fault if you took my own writing as defending someone else's words (even if those words were taken out of context by you originally) of a future where people are more tolerant, as I left it in the original quote without a SNIP following it (while at the same time wanting people to know what post of Bmiles it was, since he posted several times).  But that does not excuse the incorrect statements (especially since I didn't saying anything about the topic of Sandboxes, and even agreed with you to an extent) nor the attempted insult you made at the end.

Good day to you.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

What exactly about Wildstar is at all sandboxy? I've been following that game quite closely as I like where it's going but so far I've seen nothing at all resembling any sandbox features beyond the housing which ARR will also have (and yes housing IS a sandbox feature as it is non-directed gameplay).