Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gun Ban Coming to COD/Battlefield?

DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

Did you hear about this? http://www.examiner.com/article/the-gun-ban-is-coming-to-battlefield-and-call-of-duty-say-what

What do you think about it?

Those games sorta make a name for their selves on the combat immersion, however not having authentic real world gun models would hurt that immersion incredibly.. why does everyone blame video games? Violence is relevant all around us in our culture, why go after the one thing that helps us escape our shity existence? 

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i love Battlefield games because of the huge multiplayer maps, mounted combat, and more tactical combat than just run n gun. If they stop trying to simulate real life war experiences then it doesnt matter not having real world guns. Im also tired of seen war games that can only be made after a real life event. Need to be more original and create a ficticious conflict, that way fake weapons would make more sense, and the game has higher possibilities to be bigger and more expansive if its not based on a specific Bravo team doing a 6 hour mission.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They don't have authentic gun models anyway.

Ask anyone whose been in the army.
  • HoliceHolice Member UncommonPosts: 116

I highly doubt that battlefield or CoD will suffer much if suddenly instead of being able to use an MP5 and SCAR, they provide the same weapons and instead call them SG5 and RACS.  Even if they have to do slight look modifications, most will not care much so long as the game retains its violence and explosions.

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    They don't have authentic gun models anyway.

Ask anyone whose been in the army.

I don't play CoD, but Battlefield Bad Company 2 -was- pretty damn close. Have not played the rest, so no idea.

I say that as a Former Marine, and Iraq Combat Vet.

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by Holice

I highly doubt that battlefield or CoD will suffer much if suddenly instead of being able to use an MP5 and SCAR, they provide the same weapons and instead call them SG5 and RACS.  Even if they have to do slight look modifications, most will not care much so long as the game retains its violence and explosions.

Thats the issue though, there could be some serious civil ligation (as stated in the article), over "Similar" models in a game, and who has the rights to that via trademark.

Bell Helocopter ~ Who i know allot about as i was w/ a Cobra/Huey Squadron in Iraq, and they produce the Cobra/Huey Airframes, is seeking a lawsuit against EA as Helos in BF look like their Airframes, if they win this lawsuit, the firearms will be to follow ~ Meaning they will not even be able to use "Similar" looking models.

• Ubel12Ubel12 Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Did they talk about taking out real world weapons altogether and have water guns and water balloons for grenades and mortal rounds? Or maybe ever laser tag? What about Nerf guns? See there are so many different weapons to use, just think of the endless possibilities!! LOL I jest of course. I do not see any possible way that they will do anything of the sort. Maybe they will raise the age restrictions for those games. And BTW, who wants their 7 year olds on the XBox 360 with all those dirty mouthed people? If anything that is causing a problem in society it's the way parents are ignoring their children, and letting them play whatever, whenever. With no supervision. At all.  That is just the way I look at things.
  • JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    i think it wont matter. generic weapon types could work just as well.
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    one word = ridiculous!!!
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Was bound to happen sooner or later.

After all every one want top dollar for their copyrights. I see nothing wrong in these companies going the way of the motor industry and test where the limits of how close something can look is. Beyond that it is just some whiney arse old men that think that intercourse with their rifle is a-ok...

I do not think this will have any real impact, the majority will play CoD any way and the small group that need 100% accurate weapons is not playing it any way.

This have been a good conversation

• Ubel12Ubel12 Member UncommonPosts: 153
    [mod edit]
  • AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Divion

Bell Helocopter ~ Who i know allot about as i was w/ a Cobra/Huey Squadron in Iraq, and they produce the Cobra/Huey Airframes, is seeking a lawsuit against EA as Helos in BF look like their Airframes, if they win this lawsuit, the firearms will be to follow ~ Meaning they will not even be able to use "Similar" looking models.

That's probably why EA bought SW License for games, cause they could no longer do that.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• therealeasytherealeasy Member Posts: 36
    so far the best cod games have been 1, WaW, and black ops 1, i havent tried BO2 but the modern warfare doesnt really do it for me but the first MW was pretty good too, they need to make more games with swords and shit, except ive just seen the new mossberg chainsaw it looks fucking ridiculous but i want to try it out, might just go with a cruiser though
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Locking this, since the issue seems to be unable to be discussed without political discussion and/or flaming.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.