Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would encourage you to start playing EVE?

Comments

• apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Originally posted by cdestey
    Originally posted by apanz3r
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by apanz3r

I stopped to play eve like 2 years ago.

I would come back for PvP without farming  offered by one of those

-arenas a la world of tanks , without loosing ships (you die , you ship is back in hangar). Maybe you loose sometime a module as loot for winners (like 10% chance).

-"gold ships" that respawn in your station like noob ships

The test server is there for you if you want zero consequence PvP

I answered to your question in the thread.

My time is important and valuable to me. I am am simply  votting with my wallet. CCP lost at least 500euros worth of subs per year. Now I give those money to other mmos and i support kickstart games like Star Citizen.

There is no shame to play theme park MMOs altough World of Tanks and Planetside2 are not theme parks.

Is safe to say that World of Tanks is AT LEAST 10 times bigger than EVE and got there in short amount of time,

WoT and PS2 are also what? That's right, FREE

EVE is also free using ccp item-shop - PLEX.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It needs somewhere / something where small corporations can compete / have fun / progress
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'm playing planetside 2

It is a themepark, its not a sandbox. (or more accurately its a pure rvr game)

Doesn't mean its not a good game
    Doesn't mean its a wow clone, obviously.

Original planetside was about unreal tournament at the micro level and daoc pvp endgame at the macro level.

Ps2 isn't that different, except they added too much battlefield.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

For me to play EvE it would require them combining Dust514 and EvE into a single game for PC. The ship combat and such is just to slow for me. I've tried playing it many times and I really think they've done a great job in both designing EvE and managing it afterwards, the reality is that it just isn't a game for me. 

But a EvE game that could deploy troops on to planets and retrieve them, possibility for infiltration of enemy ships with boarding parties and the ability to sabotage them, those kind of things... well that would be a game for me. 

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It needs somewhere / something where small corporations can compete / have fun / progress

Wormhole space is exactly this area.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Wormhole space is exactly this area.

Not just wormhole space.  Any area outside of sov null sec is fine for a small corp.  An experienced group can do well in NPC null.  I lived in low sec almost my entire Eve career and I was always in a small corp.  Piracy is perfectly suited for small gang hit and run operations if you can live with a -10 sec status.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

Honestly ...Nothing at this point.

They could have given avatars to the game , explorable planets, etc- I would have jumped right on. 

I beta'd Dust 514 forever (was one of the first) and really had high hopes for the game and the integration into Eve. Even as far as a few months ago I was supporting Dust and hoping for the best- Not going to happen though. =/

At THIS point they could add the avatars , explorable planets and everything and I couldnt see starting new since the game is so "evolved" now. If they get Dust right, I would probably join that game but with the amount of time they have put into it it is stilll just an arena FPS with no real depth and many problems.

I WISH I could have like Eve. I love the concept and am glad there is a successful sandbox out there that people are enjoying- Wish I could enjoy it as well- My loss. =(

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    A lot of CH3CH2OH.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Eve offers some unique elements only a good sandbox mmo can create.

Many story's about scams and betrayel already have been released.

The meta gaming in Eve makes it shit or epic.

Like right now people are demanding nerfs to moon goo, a passive income from moons mostly found in the north.

Goons setup a OTEC where much of the moon goo are stockpiled so prices go higher and higher as it is needed to build many things in Eve online.
    But what people forget is that some corps / alliance's are at the top for a reason.

They have excellent recruitment and ship reimbursements for pilots who lose their ship in battle.

They create enough contend for their players to keep playing this terrible game ;)

They offer good money making space for their members so they can buy gametime for abit of isk and fuel multiple accounts wich leads to even more isk making.

Some corps / alliance's die out quickly as their leaders are just commen folks with no vision, no loyal people who follow and share that vision.
    Its hard to build something up from the ground and make it succesfull...its even harder to stay there.

one sign of weakness and the vultures start flying around you to take your space and members.

Then offcourse there is all this beatifull propaganda and meta gaming in null sec :)
    The story's you sometimes read like the battle of Asakai where a Goonswarm pilot made a very small mistake and launched his Titan class ship into a system where he got tackled and asked for support.
    In a matter of 10 minutesone of Eve's greatest battles unleashed.

Or a good scam where a player thrusts another player (or girl) and steals his expensive ships.

But also the story's of War...where coalitions are slashing it out system after system.
    days passes by
    weeks passes by
    months passes by
    years passes by........oh yes Eve witnissed a 3 year long war....

All this contend is not offered by developers....but by players...mostly players who lead masses of space.
    Like The Mittani leader of Goonswarm
    Like Shadoo leader of a brutal nomadic war machine that prolly has one of the biggest super capital fleet in Eve.
    Like Sort Dragon leader of oh wait his empire just crashed by Test alliance please ignore, nvm that one.

Once you start talking about Eve one can talk for hours on end, and thats Eve major flaw at the same time.
    The North has no reason for war so we (yes iam CFC) we just wait and see what darkness will bring to us.
    I would rather be at war right now, and i wished The Mittani would declare a war versus Pandamic Legion and N3.
    It would be a war to remember, win or lose i dont even care anymore.
    Just bring it and die in a fire or drink the blood of our foes.

But Eve politics.....they can ruin a war before it begins...or can start over the loss of 1 Rifter...

Eve Online a terribly epic game that why i play it :)

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    One word...Travel!  I know it's a bit more realistic for travel to forever; however, this is a game.  Most people simply don't have the time for one hour of game time and three hours of travel.  Maybe some sort of StarTrek transporting tech. 
    Originally posted by mastersomrat
    One word...Travel!  I know it's a bit more realistic for travel to forever; however, this is a game.  Most people simply don't have the time for one hour of game time and three hours of travel.  Maybe some sort of StarTrek transporting tech. 

What exactly are you doing that requires 3 of every 4 hours devoted to travel?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Don't use auto-pilot it will save you tons of time.

Originally posted by Mothanos

Eve offers some unique elements only a good sandbox mmo can create.

Many story's about scams and betrayel already have been released.

The meta gaming in Eve makes it shit or epic.

Like right now people are demanding nerfs to moon goo, a passive income from moons mostly found in the north.

And lo! Moongoo is nerfed come June 4th. Wish granted, etc.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Giddian

This Game has a huge Nitch following, but I don't see it going beyond that. To me it's like a Gankfest, space, Spreadsheet.

Doesn't appeal to me at all. Those who love it, Realy love it. I hope it lives a long time.

Out of interest, why do you read the EVE forum if it doesn't appeal to you at all?

I am always interested in what changes and movements in the Gaming community. I will read it and in this case, the question was asked, so I gave my opinion. Like I said  Doesn't appeal to me at all. Those who love it, Realy love it. I hope it lives a long time.

you never know when changes happen that might peak your interest. Don't Read, Don't Know.

• Riho2011Riho2011 Member Posts: 10

Someone briefly mentioned it from several pages ago.

1.  One 'reroll' server with the universe rearranged dramatically so that the only advantage current players have over new ones is just the carnal knowledge of the game.

I really think a fresh start server would breathe new life into the game and draw interest from new players.

Riho- SWG Scylla
    Riho- EQ2 Guk
    Rihan- WoW Dunemaul
    Freeloader- WoW Cenarius
    Freestyle- WoW Cenarius

Originally posted by Riho2011

Someone briefly mentioned it from several pages ago.

1.  One 'reroll' server with the universe rearranged dramatically so that the only advantage current players have over new ones is just the carnal knowledge of the game.

I really think a fresh start server would breathe new life into the game and draw interest from new players.

Um, unless you're saying something quite different to what I think you are, you should maybe google up what that phrase actually means.

Don't use a work or school computer.

This Game has a huge Nitch following, but I don't see it going beyond that. To me it's like a Gankfest, space, Spreadsheet.

Doesn't appeal to me at all. Those who love it, Realy love it. I hope it lives a long time.

Out of interest, why do you read the EVE forum if it doesn't appeal to you at all?

I am always interested in what changes and movements in the Gaming community. I will read it and in this case, the question was asked, so I gave my opinion. Like I said  Doesn't appeal to me at all. Those who love it, Realy love it. I hope it lives a long time.

you never know when changes happen that might peak your interest. Don't Read, Don't Know.

Fair enough... I just wondered.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    The thing that would make me come back is more action. Not strategy, but action. I want to steer my ship, aim and shoot stuff. I want to walk around inside a ship or station, engage in ground combat like DUST, walk around on a planet. Im not sure this is possible in EVE though, without pissing off the core players.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    The thing that would make me come back is more action. Not strategy, but action. I want to steer my ship, aim and shoot stuff. I want to walk around inside a ship or station, engage in ground combat like DUST, walk around on a planet. Im not sure this is possible in EVE though, without pissing off the core players.

Well not every game can be made for everyone...

It's not that it would "piss off" the core players - most of us would probably love it (although in my experience, there's always someone who will complain about any change), it's that it would need a total redesign of the game engine.

EVE operates at 1 "tick" per second. Although your client fills in the gaps and smooths things out, the server only actually changes things once per second. This would need to be dozens of times faster to support the gameplay you're after, and the server hardware and internet infrastructure just doesn't exist.

It's not that it would "piss off" the core players - most of us would probably love it (although in my experience, there's always someone who will complain about any change), it's that it would need a total redesign of the game engine.

EVE operates at 1 "tick" per second. Although your client fills in the gaps and smooths things out, the server only actually changes things once per second. This would need to be dozens of times faster to support the gameplay you're after, and the server hardware and internet infrastructure just doesn't exist.

Well that's what I mean. The changes necessary to implement some action would piss off core people who enjoy the more RTS style of combat that EVE has.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

actually i already started, and stopp again... and again and again :)

what would make me play this game for REAL is a real flight system. i prefer dogfights, direct steering.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by dave6660

What exactly are you doing that requires 3 of every 4 hours devoted to travel?

if he's a marketeer freighting things from jita to amarr and back I can see trips adding up to several hours...I regularly do a 3-system trip back and forth in a freighter and it takes 15 minutes.

If he's running a freighter between market hubs then he intentionally chose a profession that revolves around travel.  Why complain then?  Trade in the station in Jita if you don't want to travel.

-- Herman Melville

• cdesteycdestey Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Thane

what would make me play this game for REAL is a real flight system. i prefer dogfights, direct steering.

You do realize at least most of the ships in EVE are the size of large buildings and even cities, right? Dogfighting would be cool in fighters launched from carriers (see the EVR demonstration from FanFest this year), but isn't really practical for the majority of combat, not to mention generally ineffective.

Originally posted by cdestey
    Originally posted by Thane

You do realize at least most of the ships in EVE are the size of large buildings and even cities, right? Dogfighting would be cool in fighters launched from carriers (see the EVR demonstration from FanFest this year), but isn't really practical for the majority of combat, not to mention generally ineffective.

I don't think anyone is expecting to aim the guns on a carrier. Much like real life carriers don't have fixed cannons. Larger ships would still use target locking and automated systems. But smaller ships would have to aim. Personally I would like to see multiplayer ships, where you have multiple people running a single ship, instead of one pilot doing everything. Not neccesarily in EVE, just in general.