Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After going through literally dozens upon dozens of mmos

EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
I still can't find a home since wrath of the lich king. This is getting ridiculous. I want an mmo that is deep and draws me in like they used too. So hard to find one that is well made anymore. Of course it may just be that I am too picky.

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    You can't be picky if you thought WoW was deep or well made...
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Haha exactly this. WoW ruined the genre and now for the pat 7+ years every mmo wants to carbon copy their success which is not possible and completely stagnant the genre.

MurderHerd

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

mmos have become flashy cut scene money grabs, nothing more.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• Originally posted by DavisFlight

LOL. Although I agree with Davis, that is just my opinion and his. It doesn't make it the truth. To each their own.

• kimahriskimahris Member Posts: 55

Im also looking for a game to call home. But many gamers are in the same boat i guess. Nothing to bother with so i end up playing crappy stuff like maplestory and some action semi mmo's just to past time. Guess it might take a while before we get something descent.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

Take a break from the genre and everything related to it. I played Cata for about two weeks then quit playing MMOs completely until a few weeks after MoP came out. I went and tried some new hobbies for awhile because I was growing more and more uninterested by MMO's. When MoP came out, I found myself interested again, and started enjoying MMO's again. 

If I spend a significant amount of time around these games, I feel the same way you do, but there's a pretty easy cure for it. 

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by kimahris

Im also looking for a game to call home. But many gamers are in the same boat i guess. Nothing to bother with so i end up playing crappy stuff like maplestory and some action semi mmo's just to past time. Guess it might take a while before we get something descent.

same here, playing the neverwinter beta while i wait for final fantasy ARR, elder scrolls online, and wildstar to let me into the betas :)

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by DarkLordIxor

Haha exactly this. WoW ruined the genre and now for the pat 7+ years every mmo wants to carbon copy their success which is not possible and completely stagnant the genre.

??? WoW used to be a great game. Even though I don't enjoy it anymore and don't like the direction it went in I don't let personal bias cloud my judgement when I make statements about a game. WoW does what it does and it does it well. It just doesn't suit me as it has changed through the years.

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Try to do Everquest, and not just the rush to endgame Everquest, the start from your home town and talk to NPCs blindly until you find a quest Everquest.
    Originally posted by reploidx
    Try to do Everquest, and not just the rush to endgame Everquest, the start from your home town and talk to NPCs blindly until you find a quest Everquest.

I played Everquest for years. Just too outdated these days. Hoping Everquest Next gets it right but I dont have to much faith lol.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Epicent
    I still can't find a home since wrath of the lich king. This is getting ridiculous. I want an mmo that is deep and draws me in like they used too. So hard to find one that is well made anymore. Of course it may just be that I am too picky.

Take a break and  couple games to watch this year are Wildstar ( has a lot of what wow used to be in classic days with 40 man raids etc) art style will be a updated version of the wow cartoony look, Carbine team that is making it are made up of a lot of ex dev's from Blizzard.

TESO might suit your style if you want a new look on the MMO scene

Both games are looking at release dates later this year

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Ive never completely understood the appeal of WoW since I never liked the game, I suppose.  I remember reading a long post on here about how someone said many of these people complaining about finding a game after WoW don't really like MMos but only like WoW.  I'm not sure how true that is, but I did find it interesting.  
  • SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Say what you will about WoW but WoTLK was an amazing expansion.  Best character involvement in mmo lore that I've ever seen at least.  I won't go near saying that WoW was the best MMO I've played however, that expansion made it so for a period of time.  Something about ice, kings, and undeath, makes for a jolly good romp.   
  • Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

actually, I don't think you'll find anything like WoW.

some guys tells here it's not the best, but to me is more fun and best managed.

seems nothing can be called home these days anymore, but you can find home-like games, or some WoW-like, as I did.

I still playing Forsaken World, which is small sized WoW style, f2p with cool graphic and good community.
    it has lot to do and can be played for free w/o major impact to your fun.

I'm also looking forward for some new games, like WildStar, TESO and Black Desert.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

For me right now it seems Arche Age actually has everything I'm looking for. Just wish it would hurry. Def keeping my eyes on a few other games too. Playing Guild Wars 2 right now and I love it but it, for me, doesn't have a deep enough end game yet.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Honestly, I think it's you. There are plenty of MMOs out there...if you make an effort, you can make one of them your home.

The games are not going to have fun for you.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    You need to be way more specific about what you liked about WoW. Just saying depth really doesn't paint a clear picture of what kind of depth you are looking for.  I know that EQ2 has a lot of depth and content for a themepark MMO. Perhaps give that one a try. 
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

??? WoW used to be a great game. Even though I don't enjoy it anymore and don't like the direction it went in I don't let personal bias cloud my judgement when I make statements about a game. WoW does what it does and it does it well. It just doesn't suit me as it has changed through the years.

What is does is a boring mindless treadmill. And it was never a great game. It was an average to below average game, with a lot of flaws imported from EverQuest. But it was better in the past than it is now.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Ive never completely understood the appeal of WoW since I never liked the game, I suppose.  I remember reading a long post on here about how someone said many of these people complaining about finding a game after WoW don't really like MMos but only like WoW.  I'm not sure how true that is, but I did find it interesting.  

Why are these people not satisfied with all the WoW clones out there?  There is no shortage of games that are very similar to WoW. 

I think most people who played WoW for a long time are looking for something very different, but there is little out there other than gw2 and small niche games like DF.

What is does is a boring mindless treadmill. And it was never a great game. It was an average to below average game, with a lot of flaws imported from EverQuest. But it was better in the past than it is now.

Literally millions of people disagree with you I'm sure. There is a reason it retains so many subs. I hated Cataclysm and I dislike MoP but to say the game is a bad mmo seems naive to me. It did many many things right and has earned my respect as one of the best mmos ever created. To the post above this one I have played EQ2. :). Liked it alot but couldnt hold my interest for more than a couple of months. Couldnt stand that I could run vertically up mountains lol.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Literally millions of people disagree with you I'm sure. There is a reason it retains so many subs. I hated Cataclysm and I dislike MoP but to say the game is a bad mmo seems naive to me. It did many many things right and has earned my respect as one of the best mmos ever created. To the post above this one I have played EQ2. :). Liked it alot but couldnt hold my interest for more than a couple of months. Couldnt stand that I could run vertically up mountains lol.

Lady gaga and Pewdiepie of youtube are also popular with millions of followers, doesnt make their music and lets plays respectively any good what so ever.

Popularity doesnt equal quality.

WoW was always a mediocre game loved by the masses by its ease of acess and dumbed down gameplay, just like LoL is now liked for the same reasons.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by austriacus

Lady gaga and Pewdiepie of youtube are also popular with millions of followers, doesnt make their music and lets plays respectively any good what so ever.

WoW was always a mediocre game loved by the masses by its ease of acess and dumbed down gameplay, just like LoL is now liked for the same reasons.

Yeah, but the opinion of some random forum guy doesn't make anything good or bad either. Popularity also doesn't equal lack of quality no matter what the MMORPG wannabe hipsters would like to believe.

He liked the game and you don't. Does this make you think that you're right or something?

WoW was one of the best games ever.

WoW was mediocre.

WoW was awesome.

WoW sucked.

At least have some kind of reasoning behind what you say. "WoW was dumbed down" doesn't say anything except that you may be incredibly inept at finding the depth that is in the gameplay. I mean, what do you even play? Could you at least recommend a game that this poor player that loves this mediocre experience can pick up? 

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

rofl

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by colddog04

Yeah, but the opinion of some random forum guy doesn't make anything good or bad either. Popularity also doesn't equal lack of quality no matter what the MMORPG wannabe hipsters would like to believe.

He liked the game and you don't. Does this make you think that you're right or something?

WoW was mediocre.

WoW was awesome.

WoW sucked.

At least have some kind of reasoning behind what you say. "WoW was dumbed down" doesn't say anything except that you may be incredibly inept at finding the depth that is in the gameplay. I mean, what do you even play? Could you at least recommend a game that this poor player that loves this mediocre experience can pick up? 

Different things make MMO's great to different people, I played WoW for years and I played with real life mates and we had a blast, It was my friends I played with that made the game great not the game itself. After they left for other games and I ended up playing with pugs and guilds where I didn't know the people as well is when I lost interest in the game.  

Originally posted by colddog04

WoW was mediocre.

WoW was awesome.

WoW sucked.

People just have a habit of bashing on WoW. No other game gets as much hate and there is a reason for this.  These forums are full of trolls though. I don't expect maturity from most of the people on here anymore. WoW isn't my favorite game. But the feeling I got when I used to play it was very good. The world was huge. They had a ton of raids. Open world pvp used to be awesome. The dungeons were great. (this was all before dungeon and raid finder mind you.) The game WAS really deep to ME regardless of what you might say. If you want a very very small portion of the list of games I have played just refer to my profile. I have literally played..........damn................has to be well over 100 mmos if I count them all up. I am completely non biased and have even got kicked out of guilds for saying other mmos are good in certain games. If a game has fine points I will point them out. If it has weaknesses I will point those out. I don't have some odd emotional tie to certain games that I have to get on the forums and bash them. You remind me of a certain other forum user that gets on the Darkfall Forums and CONSTANTLY bashes that game. Thats ridiculous trolling and not the point of these forums. That user shall remain nameless but people hunt alot of deer where I am from...........................if you catch my drift.